PDA

View Full Version : That one blog post about Traps in D&D

Psyren
2014-12-05, 04:38 PM
I seem to recall a 2-part blog post/article about making better trap encounters in D&D but I'm having trouble finding it. The gist of it was explaining why the standard D&D trap model - i.e. rogue walks in front of the party, rolls search followed by disable while they wait for him, and then they either proceed unmolested or the rogue ends up charred to a flaky golden-brown and skewered - was neither engaging for the party nor even for the rogue himself. The second part had some good suggestions on ways to make traps into problem-solving exercises for the group as well as still let the rogue shine.

I don't remember the author; can anyone recall this post and hopefully provide a link?

sonofzeal
2014-12-05, 05:15 PM
It's not a blog post, but Dungeonscape had a similar analysis, and then a number of solutions including particular "encounter traps" that can be scaled up and down for the party's level.

Synar
2014-12-05, 05:20 PM
I can't, sorry.
However, are you aware of Dungeonscape rules for encouter traps and ideas?

(By the way, my google-fu is so weak that I ended up falling back on this thread.
On the other hand, I DID got to find back tha Angry DM blog, so that's a good point for me at least. So if you did know about it, you should definitely check the angry DM posts on encounters facts and building encouters because they're simply awesome.)

Psyren
2014-12-05, 05:29 PM
Never mind, I did a couple more google-katas and got it :smallbiggrin:

Bad Trap Syndrome pt. 1 (http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/90/bad-trap-syndrome/)
Bad Trap Syndrome pt. 2 (http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/91/bad-trap-syndrome-curing-the-bad-trap-blues/)

Thanks all

Synar
2014-12-06, 03:35 PM
Well know AI have yet another D&D article to read. So, I guess, thanks to you!

atemu1234
2014-12-06, 06:41 PM
Meh, I disagree with the point and gist of the article.

SiuiS
2014-12-06, 08:18 PM
Good article. Thanks Psyren!