PDA

View Full Version : unlimited spells, runesmith

Wolfepuppy
2014-12-05, 08:09 PM
Ok so I have a question. Using the prc runesmith from races of stone, it seems it would be possible to have a potentially unlimited number of spells as runes. Since you inscribe the tune on something, expending your spell slot, couldn't you just save that rune indefinitely? The entry does not talk about the rune becoming inactive after a certain period, so it's basically like having scrolls for no gold or experience. Am I mistaken here? One could scribe all their runes one day, not use them and then scribe all there runes from the next day and have double the spells and so on.

Grim Portent
2014-12-05, 08:21 PM
No. Since the spells are prepared as normal other than being in runic form they vanish the next time you prepare spells. Each rune is still using an active spell slot, so when you wipe the slot clean to prepare a new rune the original rune goes blank the same way as preparing a spell in the same slot as an uncast spell from the day before overwrites the old one.

crankykobold
2014-12-05, 08:21 PM
Sorry, the Runesmith prepares his spells as runes. A regular wizard cant prepare spells if he hasn't cast the ones he prepared yesterday.

Kinda new to this, but did I just get ninja'd?

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-05, 08:56 PM
Kinda new to this, but did I just get ninja'd?

No. You got swordsage'd. Because the Swordsage is what the Ninja should've been.

crankykobold
2014-12-05, 09:11 PM
No. You got swordsage'd. Because the Swordsage is what the Ninja should've been.

And this is how we learn :smallbiggrin:

Ellowryn
2014-12-06, 10:26 AM
If you want unlimited spells in rune form then you need the Runecaster PrC from forgotten realms. At 8th level they can make permanent runes that can be activated by touch, reading, or passing, and can be inscribed on anything from Ion Stones to weapons and armor. It is, however, a divine spellcasting class so no wizard/sorcerer spells without optimizing/shenanigans.