PDA

View Full Version : Red Keels of Okeanos [Exalted 2.5]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-05, 08:32 PM
Murky clouds obscure the coming dawn as preparations continue for the Festival of the Ocean Father. Shell Street is packed with natives of the Neck, come in from the nearby islands to take part in the festivities. Occasional foreigners can be seen in flashes amidst the sea of bronze skin; a group of Realm bureaucrats make their way to the Coral Palace, a pair of Tya make lecherous grins at passers-by, Immaculate monks extol the virtues of their worship, and what might even be a Lintha walks with a cloak drawn tight 'round him, red eyes peering out from under a hood.

The Festival will come in a week, and already many of the natives wear their celebratory masks.

"Thank you for seeing me home safely last night," says Tiny again as he begins making breakfast. He sets out a pair of gourd bowls for you filled with dried fruit and nuts and cold sausage.

A knock sounds on the door, and Tiny's uncle answers. At the door is the blue-haired priest, Dorun. "Ah, there you are, Barbus!" he says. "I was wondering what had happened to you. A pair of Dynasts came to visit my residence this morning; they wanted to know if you would accompany them on another hunt today. Do you have a prior commitment?"
Your recruiting efforts have yielded some satisfying results; word of your crew's triumph over the Anathema have spread (likely with the help of Barbus), and that the Realm has given you a pittance of your proper dues has gone conveniently unmentioned. Likewise, few know that you labor under the curse of the sea dogs. In fact, you have enough would-be sailors that Flit and Father Salt find themselves helping you to screen the applicants. As they handle another pair of seamen, one of your deckhands approaches you with a message.

"Barbus said yesterday he got us a second carpenter. After the battering the ship's endured, I'm thinking it ain't a bad idea. I woulda told you 'bout it yesterday, but... well, y'know, shore leave and all. Still, you want I should bring the man in for ya to meet?"
A hand gently squeezes yours to wake you; she stands by your bed, smiling a comfortable smile. Air like a gentle sea-breeze wafts through the room, and she says, "Good morning, husband. I hope you're not too busy with your little masks today."
Your efforts to prepare this harvest of papayas for the Festival has proven, pardon the pun, fruitful. The cabin girl works with you, mixing the beet sugar and the lime juice into a fine glaze as the sliced fruit finishes drying. "I think I'd better try a piece when it's done," she says. "That way you know it's good."

Mani strides in as casually as ever. His tail swishes a little as he looks up at you, then rubs his muzzle against your leg, purring.

Cashius
2014-12-05, 08:58 PM
“Yes, another hunt would be great,” Barbus gulps down the bowl of food. “Sorry Tiny, looks like I have to eat and run.” After saying his goodbyes, Barbus leaves with Dorun. "Are you ready for the festival Dorun? I am looking forward to talking the Ocean Father and there is much I wish to ask him."

CosplayKitten
2014-12-06, 07:06 PM
After Barbus leaves I turn to Tiny and his uncle. "Thank you for letting us stay the night, I appreciate your hospitality. If I'm not mistaken you said Flit was staying here as well? Where is he?"

jadehitachiin
2014-12-06, 07:17 PM
"If that is what you would like to do, you are free to do it." Dragica said, looking up from her preparations as well.
She looked down as she felt Mani rub against her leg. "There you are Mani. Where have you been?"
Bending down, Dragica picked up the cat, allowing him to climb onto her shoulder and get settled.

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-07, 10:11 AM
The cabin girl dips the papaya wedge into the glaze and greedily scarfs it down. "Mmm," she intones, "the folks at the festival will be snapping this up!"

Mani appears on your shoulder, paws pressing firmly. In response to your query, he pointedly directs his head east, in the direction of the city. Even without speaking, you have an idea of Mani's intended message. I've spent as much time as I dare listening in on the chief; would you like to hear the details once the cabin girl's away?
"I'm ready," replies the ocean god's priest. "Thanks to your recovering the tribute, the satrap's not leaning so hard on us."

Shortly after, you meet with Rao and Zhako; once more you join them in the hunt, and once more you are tasked with flushing out the quarry so that they might kill it.
"I'm afraid he's already out and about," Tiny's uncle replies. "Something about helping the captain with recruiting. Hogane apparently wants more sailors for his ship. Is there anything I can do for you?"

Kurosen
2014-12-07, 08:03 PM
"Aye you should bring him. The more the merrier!" And raises a glass to the idea. "I do need to speak to the "officers" of my crew though, if you find them, can you send them my way?"

Cashius
2014-12-07, 10:58 PM
Barbus stalks the prey with a predator's grace and in a series of efficient moves drives out the beast into the opening. After taking down the quarry Barbus asks his fellows while preparing the meat, "The festival is fast approaching. Are you going to see the sights?"

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-08, 09:59 PM
"'See the sights?'" Zhako smirks. "There's nothing on this island that compares to what we've got back home. You barbarians only call Solid Shell a city because you've never seen the Imperial City. A thousand thousand souls dwell in its walls, and a hundred thousand more outside..."

He continues on, but the sight of something rustling in the bushes catches your attention. A small figure with nut-brown skin and tiny yellow eyes peers out of the foliage, gesturing to you for silence. A voice sounds in your head, and while the language is unfamiliar, you nonetheless intone its meaning.

You there. Come. Come alone. Please.
"Yessir. I'll go fetch him, and any of the officers I see on the way." The sailor darts out the door.

As you handle your next applicants, your vision suddenly flashes far away, to a city of tarnished brass and black stone slowly burning under the hateful green gaze of the Emerald Star, to a tower that stands above its like in the layer it inhabits. A familiar hulking figure sits on a familiar throne, eyes staring straight at you. He speaks two words with a voice like an earthquake.

"I'm waiting."

You're shaken suddenly from this vision when the sailor you sent out returns, guiding a broad-shouldered Neck man with a shock of yellow hair and sun-bronzed skin. "Excuse me," he says, "I was told you wanted to see me? My name is Hectare - I suppose you'd be Hogane then?"

Cashius
2014-12-09, 02:29 AM
“It would seem I still have much to see in this world. I would very much like to visit your homeland someday and see it's wonders. But I still have much to do here in the west.” Barbus gets up from his crouching position, “If you excuse me” Barbus then walks into the forest.

CosplayKitten
2014-12-10, 03:52 PM
"No, but thank you. I'll be on my way for now." I head out in search of Flit or Hogane.

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-10, 05:45 PM
It seems Flit and Hogane are in the same place. When you enter, Flit waves you down to talk.

"Captain's talking to another carpenter right now," he explains, opening a door to an adjacent room. "Is, um, is everything okay?"
Rao gives you a puzzled look, but says nothing as you make your way into the brush. You discover a small glade where the figure awaits you. You can now see that the creature is about two feet tall, with a lumpy head made of stone, and a thin body like tree roots that supports it. When the odd little thing speaks, its voice is high-pitched and urgent, but this time you do not understand its words. It tries again, this time in heavily-accented Seatongue.

"Bodachan. Bodachan. Name ees Bodachan. You call me Bodachan. You ees friend of those in skai, yes?"

Without waiting for an answer he gestures to something in the brush.

"Something for you. Please to take care. Me took care, ees too much effort for poor Bodachan!"

Out from the brush emerges the largest hound you've ever seen. His shoulders are as high as those of a pony, and his paws are as large as your hands. His coat of fur is made of dense, short bristles, and is the dark golden-yellow of butterscotch. Two ridges run along its back where the fur runs in the opposite direction of the rest of his coat. His eyes are the same shade of black as his nose, and when he look at you, it is with the wide-eyed, curious stare of a puppy.

jadehitachiin
2014-12-10, 10:46 PM
"Would you mind to go and get us some water? You don't have to hurry. The papaya aren't going anywhere any time soon." Dragica says to the cabin girl. "Besides, you've been working hard and deserve a break."

Cashius
2014-12-11, 09:01 AM
Barbus, taken aback from the reveal, looks to the great hound and then to the little god, "Um, thank you for this most honored gift Bodachan. What is his name?"

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-11, 09:41 PM
The cabin girl nods and departs. Mani waits until the sound of her footfalls recede, and then says, "It seems our erstwhile chief was in cahoots with someone to have an extra item added into the Realm's tribute at the last minute."
"Bodachan knows no name - Bodachan does not speak Dog, dog does not speak Bodachan!" The little figure cracks its knuckles, making a sound like two stones grinding together.

"Dog came from skai one day - you carry club like the skai-gods do. You take care of dog for them maybe?"

CosplayKitten
2014-12-12, 12:22 AM
"Yes, everything is fine. I heard from Tiny last night that you had been enjoying the festival. I wanted to make sure you didn't wind up in a ditch somewhere." I look over to Hogane. "So, another carpenter you say? I'm sure Tiny would appreciate the help."

Cashius
2014-12-12, 12:57 AM
Barbus holds out a piece of meat from the recent hunt, letting the hound eat it from his hand, "I will take care of this one." Barbus scratches behind the dog's ear, "Will you follow me boy? I need a good hunting companion."

Kurosen
2014-12-12, 01:51 AM
(oh yeah... him... :eek:)

Shaking himself from his vision, he greets the newcomer "Ah yes, just the man I wanted to see, come sit down, have a pint with me!" and calls for a barkeep to bring him a drink. "so you be a carpenter eh? just how skilled are ye at the craft?"

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-12, 02:20 PM
The new carpenter gives a confident grin. "I'm more of a shipwright, really, but I can do my fair share of the work. Call me Hectare."
The dog eagerly snaps up the bites of flesh, then licks your hand clean. When you ask your question, the large hound dips his head as if nodding.

"Yes, hunt with dog! Bodachan thanks you to take dog off Bodachan's hands!" Bodachan harrumphs and begins burrowing into the ground until only a stone remains.

The dog noses the rock for a moment, and then loses interest in it, ambling to your side.

Cashius
2014-12-12, 02:36 PM
"Well then, shall we be off little hunter," Barbus heads back to the rest of the hunting party. "Looks like I got a new friend," Barbus lets out a laugh as he scratches hunter's head when he reaches the clearing.

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-13, 07:25 PM
Zhako and Rao are packing things up when you emerge with your new dog, who looks from one to the other and back before sniffing around the fire-pit for any bones or scraps.

"Impressive hound!" Zhako says, inspecting the animal from a few feet away. "Wait, so... you just found this?"

Rao smirks at Zhako. "Perhaps these islands are worthy of your attention after all," he quips, and then says to Barbus, "This dog does not behave as a wild one does. Likelier it belongs to someone and slipped its leash. Whoever its owner is will probably reward you for its return."

jadehitachiin
2014-12-13, 10:45 PM
"I remember there being an additional item. I believe it was the skull token that the Seamstress removed from the tribute." Dragica said, looking at Mani with her eyebrows furrowed. " You remember it right? Seamstress said that it is very dangerous right now. That's why she took it. "

Cashius
2014-12-14, 01:00 AM
"Not found but given, a little spirit left this hound in my care," Barbus replies, "Besides I could use a good hunting companion. Shall we head back?"

Kurosen
2014-12-14, 08:34 AM
"well we do need more people with your craft on board, so welcome!" with a hearty laugh. "Now if you excuse me, I need to find my officers and plan our next moves" And Hogane leaves to find father salt, and the rest of the "inner circle"

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-14, 08:45 PM
"Not a skull," Mani replies, "but a snake. Yes, I remember it. I wonder, who would pay to have the Realm be given something dangerous by the Neck?"

This is the most pensive you've seen a cat in a while. "At this point, I think we definitely should-"

He falls silent, and a second later the cabin girl's back with a fresh bucket of water. He resumes playing dumb, jumping down to pursue a skittering bug, and chases it out the door. He doesn't need to speak for you to intuit that he wants you to bring it up with the others.

A little later, one of your fellow sailors finds you and delivers the message that Captain Hogane wants all of his officers present for a meeting about plans for the ship's future.
"Might as well. Not long before it starts storming anyway."

Rao, on the other hand, seems even more interested. "From a spirit, you say... are you your tribe's shaman, that you deal with spirits so readily?"

When you arrive in Solid Shell again, one of the deckhands you've drilled is waiting for you. "Cap'n wants to see... gods above and below, Barbus, is that yours? Anyway, Hogane's called for a meeting of all the ship's officers! Head to the tavern on the double!"
Father Salt, as it turns out, isn't so hard to find - he's been helping to conduct the interviews; when you tell him of your intentions for a meeting, he gives a shout to a couple of deckhands and gives them orders to seek out the rest of the ship's officers and inform them of the meeting.

"Covers more ground that way - I hear Barbus has been going on hunting trips. He'll probably be back by today, though - from the looks of it, it's like to rain pretty bad soon."

Tiny is found at his uncle's home and brought to the bar. "Greetings, Captain," he says with a big-toothed grin.

Cashius
2014-12-15, 09:57 AM
"No I have not learned the old ways but the little spirit said it could trust me since I wear the weapon of the sky gods and with blood I share. From whom the spirit believes the hound belonged to. Besides, who am I to refuse such a gift, " Barbus lets out a chuckle just as he is confronted by the deckhand.

Barbus lets out a sigh, "It would seem there is no rest for me this day. Then let us go and see what our captain needs of me. Pardon me Zhako and Rao, till our next hunt together." Barbus then sets out toward the tavern.

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-15, 09:15 PM
It seems you're among the earlier of the officers to arrive; at the moment, it's you, Tiny, Hectare, Hogane, Seamstress, Flit, and Father Salt present.
Barbus arrives, with a huge dog following at his side. The gold-furred beast is the size of a pony, with paws as big as one of your hands.

Kurosen
2014-12-15, 09:17 PM
"ahoy tiny, seems like you and the others down below kept the ship together fairly well! Now once the others get here, we'll discuss our plans"

Some time later...

"Now I would like to discuss with you our next two goals next...first we need to find the nearest mountain, I have to meet with a friend of mine, Second... I want to try this place out.."

And shows the map to father salt and the others.

Cashius
2014-12-16, 12:08 AM
"When will we leave Captain? If I might request to attend the festival if these times overlap," Barbus asks , "If no issue, who is this friend of yours and what of this place you speak?"

jadehitachiin
2014-12-16, 12:26 PM
"That is a good question..." Dragica murmured, pondering who would have the most to gain by placing the item. Obviously, the chief had a vested interest in the snake but it wasn't clear exactly what his plan for it was and if he was the mastermind or if he was just a pawn, acting on orders from a higher source.
As Dragica was thinking, the cabin girl came in, startling the purser. " Just set the water over there and we'll get back to work." Dragica said, motioning to the side of the table.
'Now to let the others know about this.' She though to herself.
After a few hours, a sailor walked in to let them know that the captain wanted to see Dragica. ' Now is the perfect time to go ahead and voice my suspicions...'

Kurosen
2014-12-16, 12:32 PM
"Well Barbus, I owe this 'friend' a boon, and I'm not a fan of being in debt. I just want to get this over with"

Cashius
2014-12-16, 05:56 PM
Barbus nods his head knowingly, "Ah yes, one must repay their debt. If there is anything I can do to help just ask Captain."

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-16, 06:58 PM
Father Salt frowns somewhat. "It doesn't matter which mountain, captain? And how long will this venture take?"

Hectare looks at the unrolled map. "The Cave of the Three Dragons? What's that got to do with a mountain?"

Flit looks from the map to Hectare. "You can read a map?"

Hectare scoffs. "Of course I can read; I'm a shipwright. You'll find there's a lot of things I can do." His eyes move up to meet the eye of the captain. "These pirates, the Three Dragons, disappeared during the Shogunate. To think that their bones might finally be discovered..."

Kurosen
2014-12-17, 01:55 AM
"I'm saying I want to visit both places. First a Mountain, then the Cave"

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-17, 02:08 AM
Dragica arrives next; Mani gives a disapproving glare to Barbus from Dragica's shoulder, his hackles rising at the sight of the dog.

"There's a mountain on the Keys of Matscha," replies Hectare as Dragica enters. "It's where the Children of the Storm maintain their coven."

CosplayKitten
2014-12-17, 04:50 AM
I sit back and observe as the crew gathers and looks at the map. I just hope somewhere along the way I can recover the missing eye.

jadehitachiin
2014-12-18, 11:55 AM
"Calm down Mani." Dragica murmured, reaching up to stroke him before speaking again. "Who are the children of the storm and why do we need to see them?"

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-18, 05:39 PM
Hectare turns to face Dragica. "The Children of the Storm are a group of sorcerers who reside in Okeanos. I've traded favors with them in the past. The captain needs a mountain for... something."

Flit, who has continued to study the map, speaks next. "The Realm's men copied this chart when we made port," he says, chewing at a piece of salted fish. "How likely is it that they're interested in the Island as well?"

Tiny gives a furtive look. "Captain, what about the sharks?" Several of the other men quiet as well, looking to Hogane. "If we go out there, will they mob us again? I'm not ready for another siaka, Captain. None of us are."

Cashius
2014-12-19, 01:42 AM
Barbus takes his seat with the rest. He urges little hunter to sit next to him and pets him while listening to the others.

In response to Tiny. "We will need to find the source of these sharks. I should be able to handle the sharks and siaka. in the mean time, can our new shipwright take a look at the ship and see if any improvements could be made to help with the sharks damaging our hull."

Kurosen
2014-12-19, 01:51 PM
"settle down me mateys, there shouldn't be anymore sharks as long as there's not ship to set up chum traps. I'd rather not find a mountain controlled by a force called 'children of the storm' but It might have to do. They copied the chart eh? We might have to go to the cave first then, they might be after whatever that place holds... and I rather not see something potentially amazing to fall in the hands of the realm."

Cashius
2014-12-19, 01:56 PM
Barbus nods in agreement

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-19, 08:36 PM
"I can try and do some work on the hull," Hectare says, "but why are you particularly worried about sharks?"

Tiny faces Hogane. "The Children of the Storm are a cabal of sorcerers," he explains. "I've never been to the Keys myself but folks come to them sometimes to beg boons or blessings. Even the Realm doesn't command them."

Flit chimes in next. "From what I've made of these charts, the Keys of Matscha are days away. At our ship's speed, we could make the Isle in two days' time, but if we tried to do both Barbus would miss his festival."

Cashius
2014-12-19, 10:38 PM
"I'm sorry but I can't miss the festival. There is business I must take care of. I can aid you in one of these tasks. I elect we try for the three dragons since we might be racing for the prize. It should only take the day of the festival for me to talk to the ocean father anyways," looking towards hogane, "Afterwards I can help you repay your dept if you need it."

Kurosen
2014-12-20, 10:30 AM
"Tell ya what, if the Seamstress or Dragica want to go to the mountain, we can alone and should be able to hold our own, then after the festival, we can go to the cave and find whats hiding there, so you don't miss your festival Barbus" and he smiles. "I wish I can stay, but I'm running late on this one anyways" and he sighs "but have a drink for me!"

Cashius
2014-12-20, 02:08 PM
"Very well, I hope you have a safe journey."

jadehitachiin
2014-12-21, 05:10 PM
Dragica listens to the explanations thoughtfully, nodding occasionally as she takes in the information. "I would go with you however I have a stall to run for the duration of the festival. Also, I have, with Mani's help, discovered a plot concerning the tribute that we oh so helpfully retrieved for this island. By the sound of it, the chief of this village is in the middle of it." She said, looking around at the people in the room.

Cashius
2014-12-22, 02:02 AM
"Then maybe we should go have a visit with him," Barbus grins.

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-22, 08:33 AM
"Blasted fool might have cut a deal with the demon pirate, perhaps he thought he'd get a share of the goods if he'd helped the pirate steal it…" Flit cracks his knuckles as he speaks, then looks over at Seamstress, his expression growing sheepish. "…would be my guess, anyway."

"Still, the good Captain's not going to reach the Keys of Matscha by his lonesome," Father Salt says. "The other men ain't as dangerous as Barbus is, but perhaps a few of them will suffice?"

Cashius
2014-12-23, 09:09 AM
"Sounds good Father Salt, in the mean time who wants to interrogate our suspicious chief. I must admit that I'm not the best with words but I will help where I can."

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-23, 02:07 PM
"All right," says Father Salt amicably. "Sam Palok, Donk, Hectare, Sapin Sapin, and Mercy can follow the captain to the Keys. They're all Neck-born, so they won't stick out so bad. And if ya don't mind my suggestion, sir, since we're still in dry-dock anyway, you might do well to hire some quiet transporters, if you catch my drift; if the Realm was to become aware you left, they might think you headed for the Three Dragons. Seamstress, would you rather accompany Hogane, or do you think this chief-tribute business has anything to do with that amulet you wanted?"

CosplayKitten
2014-12-23, 02:42 PM
"I think I'll go to the chief, just to make sure. We need to recover the missing piece before something bad happens."

Cashius
2014-12-23, 05:11 PM
"Then I'll accompany you in case something bad does happen"

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-25, 02:40 AM
"And on the way I can discuss with the Captain some potential modifications to the ship," Hectare says.

"While the good Captain is away," Flit says, There's to be a moratorium on any discussion of the Island of the Three Dragons. We don't let the Realm know we're interested in it; at the same time, keep an eye out for any activity by the Realm. If they're looking to start an expedition to there, we might have to try and slow their efforts down."

"It's bad enough they lay claim to half our take," Father Salt says, "we're not gonna let 'em beat us to the punch on this."

Cashius
2014-12-25, 03:41 PM
Barbus nods in agreement. Then heads out with Seamstress and Dragica to see the chief.

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-26, 08:58 PM
(Assuming everyone's okay with that setup, then…)

Mani waits until the group consisting of himself, Barbus, Dragica, Seamstress, and Hunter begins moving, then says from Dragica's shoulder, "What exactly is our course of action, then? I take it the chief isn't just going to throw himself into our hands for questioning."
Hiring a smuggler to get you off the island is the easy part. A foreign smuggler named Sonorous Bell proves willing to sneak you and some crewmen to the Keys of Matscha. "Am I to fetch you back afterward, Gem-Eye? How long would you have me wait?"

Cashius
2014-12-28, 11:09 AM
"Then we shall take him under the cover of darkness. I will attempt to disguise myself so that it is at least not obvious who I am if they notice me."

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-29, 07:37 AM
Mani nods. "Not long before it gets dark. And once it rains, people won't be following our tracks. Dragica, Seamstress, disguise may be called for in your cases as well."

Cashius
2014-12-29, 12:56 PM
"Where is this Chief located. Is he in the city?"

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-29, 07:10 PM
"He lives in the city, yes. One of the richer districts." Mani yawns. "I'd give you the directions, but I'm going to guess that you can't read. Instead, I advise you follow Dragica and myself."

Cashius
2014-12-30, 09:12 AM
"Very well, let me drop off some of my none essentials and get ready before we head out," Barbus replies.
Barbus will swing by the temple to drop off his things and then head out on the mission. He will also ask Dorun if he would look after Hunter while he is away (giving him a short explantion on how he came into his care).

Kurosen
2014-12-30, 12:32 PM
"A one way trip is fine, I'll be awhile, I'll find a way back on my own. Let's get ready to head out"

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-30, 08:35 PM
Your armor, weapons, and gear are safely stored on Bell's ship, and a cover identity (and accompanying disguise) are made for you and each of the men to come along. With you and the men aboard, his small vessel makes for the Keys of Matscha.

The sailing takes significantly less time than your usual vessel; his smaller island-hopper sacrifices a lot of comforts for speed, but as a result, it's not fit for open ocean travel.

"You best be careful 'round the sea-witches," Sonorous Bell warns as the mountain of the middle island comes into view. "Nor should you mention your dealings with them to the Realm."

A Realm representative meets Bell at the docks. They converse briefly before the crew is admitted onto the central island. The Realm-born man eyes you warily for a moment, but does not say anything as you head inland.
Dorun secures your things and promises to look after your dog. "A fine beast. If I don't have food enough for him, I suppose I could turn him loose and he'd well feed himself!" It's clear from his tone that he jokes, but you can't help but wonder at the truth of his statement. Hunter wags his tail as the priest pets him, then noses his way into the temple, sniffing at every object.
Any particular prep you'd care to do while Barbus is dropping his dog off?

Cashius
2015-01-02, 09:00 AM
Changing into dark blue cloths that cover his face and hair, Barbus meets back up with Dragica and the Seamstress. He follows Dragica's lead as they move in and out of the back alleyways to the chiefs location.

Kurosen
2015-01-03, 10:51 AM
I get our "cargo" off the ship and once we get closer to the mountain, equip myself proper and get whatever I need for the week long ordeal.

CosplayKitten
2015-01-03, 11:20 PM
I find a black cloak to cover myself and "borrow" a different mask other than the one that marks me as a healer.

TheCountAlucard
2015-01-04, 07:05 PM
Dragica also gets her hands on one of the masks before setting out; she and Mani lead the way to the lesser chieftain's estate. "I was only inside once," Dragica admits, "and Mani's mostly been listening from outside." She drops into a low crouch, then gestures to one of the trees. "That tree's close to a second-story window," she says. "We can get in through there, save us having to sneak through the first level."

She moves rapidly into the shadow of the tree, and scrambles up the trunk as though it were a ladder.
The crewmen join you in your trek up the mountain, with Hectare showing how he climbed it before. "I'm still very curious as to why you're here if not for the Children of the Storm," he says, making his way over a difficult section of rock face with surprising ease. Come nightfall, Hectare looks like he could keep going all day, but the other men are starting to tire.

"Boss," says Donk, "Permission to make camp, sir?"

Kurosen
2015-01-04, 07:09 PM
"Permission Granted..."
*after the camp is set up and the evening comes*
"Now I must know from all of ye, do you trust me?"

CosplayKitten
2015-01-05, 04:10 AM
I manage to follow Dragica up the tree, though not quite as gracefully. "So what exactly is our plan?" I whisper, scanning the ground to make sure nobody has spotted us.

Cashius
2015-01-05, 03:23 PM
Barbus follows them up the tree and asks in a whisper, "yes what is your plan of attack and what kind of resistance can we expect."

jadehitachiin
2015-01-06, 10:27 PM
"We shouldn't run into any resistance actually, so long as we are quiet. None of your heroics this time." Dragica said in a hushed voice. "We'll have Mani go in first to figure out what room he's in then slip into the room and grab him. If we do it correctly, no one will know he's gone until morning."

TheCountAlucard
2015-01-07, 03:26 AM
"Thankfully they left it open," Mani grumbles, jumping through the window.

About five minutes later, Mani appears in the window again. "This room's a chamber for his wives," Mani whispers, "There's a door on the left side that goes into the master bedroom, where he's asleep. The door's locked, but I could smell him and hear him breathing. From the sounds of it, he also took one of his other wives to bed with him."
The men have arranged bivouac sacks in which they can rest, and started a small cook-fire, which Sam Palok tends to dutifully. "I trust you," says Donk. This gets repeated by each man in turn, until you reach Hectare. "I haven't known you as long as these men have... but you haven't deceived me yet, Captain. Tell us what you need to tell us."

CosplayKitten
2015-01-07, 03:38 AM
"Now we just need to figure out how we can get him out without waking him or anyone in bed with him." I look to Mani, then Dragica and Barbus. "Any ideas?"

Cashius
2015-01-08, 10:55 AM
"Doing something silently isn't exactly my forte," Barbus whispers, "Perhaps just those who can move stealthy go ahead and if a fight breaks out I'll come to aid in his detainment."

Kurosen
2015-01-09, 06:35 PM
"Well the thing is...I made a deal with some...demigod and I'm here to repay the debt, it will take about a week and its frowned upon in most...cultures...so I'd rather this meeting stay between us and between us only"

TheCountAlucard
2015-01-09, 08:59 PM
"Cats aren't the ones for picking locks," Mani admits. "Dragica is probably the best in that regard." He turns to look at Barbus. "Once the chief is in hand, I believe you would be best served in bearing him away as quickly as possible. You can carry the most while still moving quickly, after all."
"Demigod? Do you mean one of the Children of the Storm?" comes a query from Hectare.

"Being a debtor isn't looked down on, here," Sam Palok chimes in, "because if it was, the chiefs and the Realm would be the only blameless folk to be had." He laughs, bitterly.

"No, sir, we won't tell no one."

CosplayKitten
2015-01-09, 09:02 PM
"I agree, Dragica seems to be the one best suited for this task."

Kurosen
2015-01-09, 09:16 PM
"I thank ye, but no this isnt one of the children of the storm, it is of a more vile origin..."

Cashius
2015-01-10, 08:27 PM
Barbus digs deep inside drawing forth power and increasing his strength. (Increasing strength exercise and monkey leaping technique) Then Barbus nods that he is ready.

jadehitachiin
2015-01-12, 09:39 AM
OCC: I'm going to activate Mind-Hand Manipulation for this.

ICC: Dragica nodded. "I can handle getting in and out no problem. Just wait for my signal before going in." She said, lifting herself over the ledge of the window. "I will make a sound similar to a bird call, so please be ready."

Dragica slipped inside and very quietly made her way to the door that Mani had told her about. She looked around for a moment before moving up to the door and focusing on the lock.

TheCountAlucard
2015-01-13, 06:30 AM
"I'm confused," Hectare admits. "Are you talking about a demon, or something?"
"A birdcall? Inside a house? Perhaps it'd be better if they came along instead; it's just across the room." Mani saunters in through the window again.

Inside, five Neck women sleep soundly in their beds. Mani pads soundlessly past them, to the lock which Dragica opens easily. On the other side is a more opulent bedroom, where the chief sleeps a more fitful sleep than the wife at his side.

Kurosen
2015-01-13, 07:12 PM
"Yes, We all got our demons, but we grow powerful from overcoming them, and thats what I'm going to face soon"

TheCountAlucard
2015-01-13, 09:17 PM
"Pretty sure I haven't got a demon," Sam Palok ventures. "Have you got a demon, Donk?"

"Ain't got a demon, Captain… sorry. Hey, Hectare, you got a demon?"

"I think it's just the Captain, Donk." Hectare shrugs his shoulders. "Why all the secrecy, though, Hogane?"

Cashius
2015-01-14, 02:47 PM
OOC: Activate Keen Sight Technique (so he can spot the chief and see in the dark)

ICC: With one swift jump, Barbus lunges forth in the dark room past Dragica and Mani to the other room next to the sleeping Chief. He snatches up the sleeping chief with blinding speed and jumps back out from whence he came. All the while keeping the Chief's mouth covered to keep him from screaming.

Kurosen
2015-01-14, 10:15 PM
"Well sorta, I mean... you'll just have to see, none of ye is gonna be hurt, maybe me, but thats it, but it needs to be done"

CosplayKitten
2015-01-16, 04:04 PM
I follow Barbus and the chief to the ground and check to make sure Dragica and Mani are following.

TheCountAlucard
2015-01-18, 06:13 AM
Your group successfully bears away the struggling chief.
The sun is beginning to set as the men finish preparing supper. "Let's to bed soon," Hectare says, "so we can sooner be off this mountain."

CosplayKitten
2015-01-19, 03:36 AM
"Now that we've got the chief, who is going to question him in regards to the tribute?" I whisper to the group. "Mani is the one who first discovered this, am I right? What do you think we should do?"

Cashius
2015-01-19, 09:22 AM
Barbus enters far into the wilderness, making sure to hide his and the other's tracks to the best of his abilities. "I guess I shall start. Please chime in at any time," Barbus whispers. Once they are in a suitable place to start, Barbus lifts the chief up with one arm and in a cool tone, "This is how it is going to go. My friends here are going to ask some questions. You are going to answer them. If at any point I think your lying. I'm going to break something of yours. If you continue to be untruthful, I'll start ripping things off. Do you understand?"

Kurosen
2015-01-19, 02:03 PM
"you lot go ahead, I might as well start what I need to do now, its gonna take a week..."

jadehitachiin
2015-01-21, 09:57 AM
OCC: Activate Factual Determination Analysis and Loom-Snaring Deception

ICC: Dragica stared at the chief from behind her mask. What would be the best questions to ask in order to get the most information and how could she protect her identity from being discovered by him? There was always the one ability she had that could change things about her body. It would definitely help in disguising her voice. Dragica focused on her throat, imagining herself as having a completely different voice, more like one of the girls back at her village. Next she turned her focus to her skin, lightening it very slowly so it would not be obvious that there was a change occuring. Once she was satisfied, Dragica returned her attention to the chief. "We know that you have been working with someone to make changes to the tribute that was stolen, to add dangerous items to it. Who are you working with and what is your ultimate goal?" She asked, taking a more threatening stance.

TheCountAlucard
2015-01-21, 12:29 PM
The chief seems fearful of Barbus and his threats, becoming nervous at the prospect of losing body parts. "What do you want out of me?"

At Dragica's questioning, he speaks again. "D-dangerous items? You mean the amulet? I forged the tribute manifest to get the amulet on the list, but I didn't know it was dangerous! Is that what you wanted to hear?"

Hectare gives an understanding nod. "Sundown, one week from now," he tells the others. "We'll wait at the town at the base of the mountain, and if he's not back by then, we assume the worst."

He turns back to you. "See you then," he says.

Cashius
2015-01-21, 02:26 PM
"Answer her question!" Barbus yells, "Who are you working with and what is your ultimate goal?" Barbus slams him against a tree to send him a message but making sure not enough to knock him out.

Kurosen
2015-01-23, 12:06 PM
After making the final preparations for the night, the crew sleeps while taking turns for watch. The next morning, As his crew leaves and the sun begins to rise, Hogane continues to climb the mountain so he can prepare the ritual that will last the entire week, and wonders if this is the best idea so early back in Creation...

TheCountAlucard
2015-01-23, 05:07 PM
The tree shivers as Barbus slams the chief against it, sending branches crashing to the ground. The chief coughs and shakes in the Storm King's grasp. "I don't know his name! I don't know his name! I'm just in it for the money!"
Climbing a mountain proves to be a more arduous task by far for you than standing on the deck of a ship. Still, once unburdened by your mortal crew you can deploy your full speed to reach the top.

When you reach the summit, you find a large temple-like structure built into the face of the mountain. Its opulence suggests that the Children of the Storm are well-off indeed. From one of the entrances emerges a tall man with greasy blue hair and bags under his eyes. "Do you have business with us, mariner?"

Cashius
2015-01-23, 05:13 PM
"What did he look like!" Barbus yells, grabbing one of the fallen branches out of the air and placing the sharp end of the broken branch against the chief's neck.

Kurosen
2015-01-23, 07:03 PM
"Not with you no, but I need to get to the top of this mountain, a religious retreat you see..."

TheCountAlucard
2015-01-24, 07:48 PM
"I didn't see his face!" he protests. "He was masked, like your friends!"
The man raises an eyebrow doubtfully, but says nothing, tilting his head in your direction to indicate a desire for you to elaborate.

Kurosen
2015-01-25, 10:28 PM
"Look, I'm not here to cause any trouble or harm, just want to be on top of your mountain for a week, is that so much to ask?"

Cashius
2015-01-27, 09:09 AM
"What do you remember about him? Was he wearing any particular clothes or weapons that stood out?"

jadehitachiin
2015-01-27, 10:01 AM
Dragica tilted her head as she focused on the chief's words. "I don't believe that you're being entirely truthful with us." She said, walking over to us. "I would warn you not to lie because I know when you are lying."

Cashius
2015-01-27, 12:12 PM
"So, he is lying. Do you want me to break his fingers?" Barbus asks.

TheCountAlucard
2015-01-27, 07:08 PM
"No! Nonono, please, I'm not lying!" He gasps for breath, wincing and squeezing his eyes shut. "Black leather coat, think there was armor under it!"
"Trouble you might not intend, but even good intentions pave a road to hell. If you have no business with us on our property, I must ask you to leave."

Cashius
2015-01-27, 07:49 PM
Barbus looks to Dragica on how to proceed.

Kurosen
2015-01-27, 10:20 PM
"Arr that be no fun, what would I have to give you to let me stay up here for say...about a week?"

TheCountAlucard
2015-01-27, 11:04 PM
"I ask three favors of you. First and foremost, answer my questions honestly: why do you want to do this thing? What do you stand to gain by it?" He gestures to a black shadowy thing, dwelling in a corner, which skitters like a roach as it comes forward, bearing a stone tablet. Chiseled on the tablet is a horrible, familiar visage, along with the inscription, SAY NOT HIS NAME.

Kurosen
2015-01-27, 11:21 PM
"Well I'm trying to relive me of a debt, you see..." eyeing the tablet "...I need to perform some ritual at the summit, or bad things are gonna happen to me and me crew, and I don't want to have that happen to the poor boys down the mountain."

TheCountAlucard
2015-01-27, 11:28 PM
"Surely there is little he can do to you and yours from his side of the prison…? Nonetheless, it's a troubling thought. If you bring him over in such a way, he'll not be bound, free to wreak whatever havoc he might on us and our dwelling, and you yourself. What could you possibly owe him to chance that? Your wife, she's not his prisoner, is she?"

Kurosen
2015-01-27, 11:31 PM
"No, I could never settle down, and he might be unbound, but surely we could take him no? we could even mast a small fleet if needed, power in unity no?"

jadehitachiin
2015-01-28, 09:55 AM
Dragica shot Barbus a look from behind her mask despite knowing that he couldn't see it. "I had said I wasn't sure that he was entirely truthful not that he was lying." She muttered before speaking in her normal tone. "What else did you see or hear? There are many men who wear masks and armor and possibly even leather coats. What made this man special?"

TheCountAlucard
2015-01-28, 10:22 PM
"Nothing else! Nothing else… damn him, and damn you!"
"We're not eager to test ourselves against a lord of hell, even with the assistance of a seasoned fighter like yourself. But if you're out here, and he's in there, how could he call your debt? I ask again, why summon him?"

He clears his throat. "The second task I must ask of you is that you lead the adversary away from our mountain before you do battle. Our understanding is that he shakes earth and bleaches stone with each of his steps. We would not have our home defiled."

Cashius
2015-01-29, 06:13 PM
"How were you paid? Were you going to get the payment after the job was done or have you already received it? Who was going to or has given you your payment?" asks Barbus.

Kurosen
2015-01-30, 02:57 PM
"Sure, If you allow me to do what I need to do, I'll move it away from this place, or just get me to another mountain. It matters not."

TheCountAlucard
2015-01-31, 03:39 AM
"He gave me the payment before I changed the documents." He pauses, collecting his thoughts. "She said the amulet was dangerous. How?"
"Very well." The sorcerer makes a series of gestures, directing the flows of Essence. Mist begins to collect in his hands, and takes the form of a cloud. "Climb aboard with me," he says, stepping onto the cloud. "I know of another mountain that will suffice, where you will be able to call your demon freely. We can discuss the third task at another time."

Cashius
2015-02-02, 06:26 PM
Barbus sighs and lets go of the chief, letting him fall to the ground. He walks away from him and sits on a nearby log. He looks at the Chief and then to Dragica and Seamstress for guidence on how to act next.

[OOC] I'm fresh out of ideas. You two can see if you can get any other information out of him if you want. If not, lets just release him after the suitable amount of threatening not to talk about tonight.

CosplayKitten
2015-02-02, 09:55 PM
"Yes, it is dangerous. While we have recovered the majority of it, another piece is still missing. A gem. Any part of the amulet can be very destructive. Many people could die if we do not find the missing gem."

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-02, 10:06 PM
The man steps past the sitting Barbus. "Many people? How many? Who? How?"

Kurosen
2015-02-03, 02:31 AM
"Works for me, if you could do me a favor though, could you let my crew know where this place is? so I can at least have a ride back..."

CosplayKitten
2015-02-03, 02:38 AM
"If it isn't found it could cause more deaths than you can imagine. There is a dark force surrounding that amulet."

jadehitachiin
2015-02-03, 11:04 PM
"If we don't find out more information that will lead to us preventing this disaster, the entire island will pay dearly. Every man, woman and child. Just because information was missing." Dragica said with an edge to her voice.

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-03, 11:19 PM
"I know where the amulet's eye is going… he had me send that away, to another island. I sent it off with a crew of Smaragdi. My nephew was among them."
"But of course. They will even be free to stay with my apprentices while you perform your ritual."

CosplayKitten
2015-02-03, 11:34 PM
"When and where was it sent? We must recover the eye immediately."

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-05, 09:37 PM
"Punica, they call it. I don't know its location, just that it's far to the northwest, beyond the borders of Okeanos. The man, though, that man gave specific directions to me for the tribesmen, as if he knew it well. As for when, they departed with it before the Realm's tribute was stolen; they haven't returned yet…"

Cashius
2015-02-05, 10:46 PM
"I have heard of Punica. It's an island of immortals and walled cities," replies Barbus. He rises from his sitting position, "We would need to leave as soon as possible, it is far from here."

Kurosen
2015-02-06, 02:05 AM
"Fair enough, lets get this over with"

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-07, 09:28 PM
The sorcerer flies you aboard his magic cloud, soaring above even other clouds. It's less than half an hour before you reach a remote island, most of which is dominated by a jutting mountain. He stops for you to disembark at the peak, leaving you to your own devices.

Kurosen
2015-02-08, 08:52 PM
Hogane begins to prepare for the ritual...

Cashius
2015-02-10, 11:36 AM
"I will let you handle the rest" he nods to Dragica and Seamstress, then jumps into the night. Barbus bounds back to the city and discards his disguise. He then heads to the Ocean Father's temple and begins to make preparations for their journey.

CosplayKitten
2015-02-10, 04:39 PM
"Understood." I take a vial of Nip's venom from my pack and inject the chief with it to erase his memory of tonight. "Now, how are we going to get him back inside?"

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-11, 01:30 AM
As you near the temple, your keen ears pick up raised voices, and barking. The smell of brine fills the temple. You recognize the voice of Dorun, but not of the other speaker, whose rolling baritone brings to mind the crash of waves.

"Do you realize what this is? What you've done?"

"I-I swear it, 'twas not my deed!"

"Who, then?"

"A man, Barbus! He's been staying with me! He claims it was given to him!"

"Where is he now?"
The chieftain gives a surprised start as the needle pierces him, then his eyes dilate and he groans. He slumps against the tree as his eyes go out of focus, then focus again, first on Seamstress and her needle, then flicking to Dragica. "Who are you? Where am I? Who am I?"
After some work finding the best place to make the call, and readying your voice for the work, you're ready to call Octavian across those spiteful desert sands.

Cashius
2015-02-11, 02:41 PM
"And what exactly have I done" Barbus asks as he enters the temple.

OOC: I'm going to keep my scene lengths on in case of trouble

CosplayKitten
2015-02-12, 06:43 PM
"You are a chief of this city, and we were taking you home. I'm a doctor, and you've been under my care. It seems you suffered some memory loss, but no worries. I'll take good care of you. I begin to help him stand.

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-14, 10:03 PM
"You would dare take one of the Hounds of Albada."

Dorun is at the altar; Hunter sits on the floor next to him, and wags his tail at your approach. A stone cauldron of seawater rests on the altar, the water inside boiling violently without any source of heat. The deep voice issues from the cauldron.

"My lord, this is Barbus! He sought your aid in answering a question, o Ocean Father."

"Indeed? Who might you be, Barbus, that you come to this place, with sun-king's hound and sky-gods' cudgel?"
"Thank you, doctor." He lets you lead him. "I do hope you know where it is; I'm afraid I can't remember…"

Cashius
2015-02-15, 12:54 PM
"The cudgel was a gift from my mother the Sky-Queen Golden Blossom. As for little hunter, he was given to me by Bodachan, a little god in forests who had found him abandoned," Barbus replies as he walk up to the alter next to hunter, "Dorun was kind enough to let me stay here when I first arrived at this island. He has been a gracious host and a good friend to me. Do not blame him for what ever wrongs I have done."

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-16, 02:45 AM
"A Hound of Albada, abandoned? Surely this is a most dire mistake indeed! The Hounds of Albada are bred in none other than the kennels of the Sun himself! For a god of Heaven to abandon one of the Unconquered Sun's dogs…"

The voice fades from the cauldron as the water stills. Hunter yawns, and then nuzzles his muzzle against your hand idly. His ears perk up a second before the cauldron boils again.

"Dorun is a mere mortal - he is unfit to keep a Hound of Albada in his care. Had he been the one to take this dog, there most assuredly would have been trouble; you, however, are not mortal. Now is a time of returning heroes, perhaps he is best off in your care… be warned, though, Barbus, I will send word to the Celestial City of the dog, and you will be made to account for it. The Unconquered Sun yet cares deeply for his hounds, and if this 'Hunter' shows signs of ill treatment…"

CosplayKitten
2015-02-16, 11:33 PM
"No worries, I'll get you home safely. We'll see what we can do about that memory loss too. If anything, perhaps your family and friends may be able to help you remember who you are."

Cashius
2015-02-17, 01:27 AM
"Hunter seems to like it here with me. If the Unconquered Son wishes his hound back then he may come down and take Hunter from my care himself. But!," Barbus raises his voice, "until this happens Hunter is under my protection and no one will lay harm to him! Not me nor anyone else!" Barbus eyes appear crimson as a golden symbol appears upon his forehead lighting up the room with righteous light.

Realizing he had become angered, Barbus composes himself as the golden light dims, "I apologize......I know I haven't known Hunter long. I'm not sure why but feel a close bond with Hunter. If there has been any wrong doing I will face the accusers."

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-20, 06:28 PM
Bringing him home is a simple feat; his wives are surprised to see you bringing him in, asking what happened, but they accept your explanations.

What next?

The Ocean Father laughs as your caste mark materializes, animating the churning brine in the cauldron.

"Splendid! Very honorable, Barbus! And fearless, too! If your bond with this hound is so strong, I doubt you will have much to account for should the sun come seeking. But on to other matters, o man.

"Dorun has spoken to me of a request on your part, but tell me of it yourself. Do you truly seek the Frog Queen?"

Cashius
2015-02-20, 06:38 PM
"Yes, I do great Ocean Father. Her tyranny over the people and even other gods is well known. I wish to but a stop to it."

Kurosen
2015-02-21, 02:18 AM
when the ritual is finally ready, he gets on the summit and screams with his caste mark glowing, "Octavian, The Living Tower, I challenge you in a duel of the age, for surpremency, for glory, and for mayhem, unless ye be top scared to come out of your little pit in malfeas to show yer face!" takes a breath and rest, then shout a similar chant every day multiple times for a week, with multiple insults refering to Octavian;s mother.

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-22, 11:37 AM
"Know this, Barbus - the Frog Queen Ogime attends my spirit court but infrequently, and not presently, but still she is counted on the rolls - I cannot countenance your killing her."

The cauldron quiets, almost contemplatively, before stirring again. "However, if you could perhaps take care of another problem of mine…"
Each day that passes is agony on your throat; even with your Exalted hardiness, the effort you must put into the summoning attempt puts a strain on your voice. The yells, oddly enough, do not echo down the mountain as a normal cry should, seeming instead to be swallowed up by the air itself.

On the first day, nothing happens; on the second, the insects buzzing in the air drop dead following your cry, and their tiny bodies dissolve into droplets of shimmering black oil; after the third day, the faint ringing of bells sounds in your ears, and continues through the summoning; on the fourth day, your vocal cords are strained to the breaking point, and hot blood almost chokes your cry; on the fifth day, you feel a constant low trembling; on the sixth, the rocks around you shatter, and more of the black oil spills from their new jagged facets; on the seventh, all the oil, gleaming sickly, coalesces into a pool and catches fire.

The flame stands twenty feet high, hellish green in color, and from it emerges the dread emperor, the Quarter Prince Octavian.

"Pirate Lord of Seven Hells," the demon rumbles, "I answer your call to make rubble and do battle!"

Accompanying him is a massive jeweled wasp that dwarfs the ones that bore you in the Demon City; this one is the size of a mammoth, and is fit to carry even Octavian.

Cashius
2015-02-22, 07:12 PM
"As long as it is as great a deed than I do not see a problem. What do you wish of me?"

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-24, 11:16 PM
"Barbus, as the child of the spirits yourself, you know that at times, the gods of sky and sea can be distant from their children, even if they love them with all their hearts. The people of these islands are my children, but the wickedness of the Realm forces me to be a distant father to them. They extort tribute, pit tribe against tribe, and oppress their worship of me."

A light shines from the cauldron's depths, and Hunter barks in surprise. "You are a man of great might, Barbus - with your help, my children and I can be together once more. Drive out the Realm from Okeanos, and I shall tell you of the Frog Queen, and give you my favor besides! Cast your crown of coral into the brine…"

Cashius
2015-02-25, 02:57 PM
"Very well, I will be your steel in this conflict," Barbus then throws his crown into the cauldron as he is told.

Kurosen
2015-02-26, 06:50 PM
I get into position with my Wavecleaver. "Lets get this duel of the century started!" And begins to sprint circles around Octavian, becoming like that of the wind, forming a small tornado around the Living Tower. Whenever Octavian tries to strike, its as if striking the wind itself ((Who Strikes the Wind)), and comes in for a counter attack. Whenever Octavian strikes down, he jumps on his arm, runs up for a close shot to the face, but no blows to mortally wound the mighty demon, as its a duel, not to the death.

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-26, 07:40 PM
Octavian bares his sharp teeth in bloodthirsty anticipation. An elegant dance of cudgel and blade begins; each parry strikes sparks as combatants whirl.

One is Pirate Lord, one is Quarter Prince, both move like mist on water and strike like lightning. Octavian steps between heartbeats to answer your blows, moving with grace belying his massive form. The slashes you land are like striking a tower, the swings of his cudgel smashing rocks asunder.

The earth quakes with the intensity of your battle, and soon your anima shines like a beacon on the mountaintop.

Sixty rounds pass with no clear victor, but with each passing second, Octavian gains advantage. Though you are possessed of Exalted might, he is your superior in strength and stamina. With a desperate gambit, you drive the Malfean iron staff from his massive hands, and land a succession of blows that drives the demon to his knees.

"No more," the demon intones, holding up his hand in a gesture of surrender. He climbs to his feet and retrieves his staff, gingerly touching the cracks in his stony facade. "You fought well! I apologize for breaking your arm! It should heal cleanly, though." He grins a broad, bloody smile.

"It seems our battle did not go unobserved," he muses, pointing with his staff into the sky, where the Child of the Storm stands on his sorcerous cloud, mouth agape with shock. "Shall I drive him to the earth and pulp his bones, or do you know this mortal?"
The crown vanishes into the roiling water without a trace. "Thus is our accord made!" The water begins to smell even more strongly of the sea. "One last thing I ask, Barbus. Do not reveal that I send you on this quest. Should you do so and fail in your task, the Realm's reprisal against me would be dire indeed."

Kurosen
2015-02-26, 07:49 PM
"No he helped us in getting you here, I could also use his help on another matter, unless you specialize in curing curses yourself." "Hey you, come down here and have a chat with us, we wont bite, well at least I wont!"

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-26, 07:55 PM
As your anima slowly fades, the sorcerer cautiously brings his cloud lower. He does not yet step off of it. "Your power was greater than I estimated," he admits. "Are you ready to return to your crew?"

He gives a humble bow to Octavian by way of greeting.

Kurosen
2015-02-26, 08:02 PM
"Before we go, What do you know about curing curses? You see I seem to have sharks attack me whenever I get near the water, and its realllly annoying when you are a sailor"

He leans to Octavian and asks "So what are you going to be doing now that you are out and about?"

Cashius
2015-02-26, 08:32 PM
"I will not reveal you. You have my word. Dorun, you know this city well? Gather for me capable warriors who would like to see the realm gone from these seas. Do this and I will train them into a fighting force the west has not seen since ancient times. And when we are ready, I will launch the spear to the realm's heart in this region. When this is done, we will drive them from the west as you wish" Barbus does a small bow to the cauldron.

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-26, 09:09 PM
The last of the water in the cauldron boils away, leaving only a crust of salt.

"I will gather men, Barbus. We will meet after the festival. What will you do in the meantime, Barbus?"
"I've seen the likes of this before," replies the sorcerer. "It's a good thing we flew to this island instead of sailed! The curse is a tool of the vile priests of the shark goddess. Curse the name of Siakal! I can remove it."

While he goes through the motions of countering the spell, Octavian responds to your question. "This chain of islands, Okeanos… perhaps this is where I can let loose and truly test my limits…"

He falls silent as the Child of the Storm blasts the curse from your blood.

Kurosen
2015-02-26, 09:15 PM
"Just don't attract too much attention unless you are ready for it, if gods are cursing me just for existing, who knows what you might attract destroying whole islands, oh, that sorcerer there would prefer to not have his home destroyed for helping you get here. If you need some fun stuff to do as well, we are gonna be sailing and plundering, if thats something you are into..."

And turns to the Child of the Storm,
"Well that was sure easy, what do I owe ye for such a blessing? And I'm ready to return whenever you are"

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-26, 09:31 PM
"Just a moment…"

The sorcerer turns to Octavian. "Hogane and I need leave you to your dread ruminations for a moment to have a word, o Quarter Prince."

When Octavian gives his leave, the sorcerer pulls you aside. "In return for this and other services I have rendered, I ask one last thing of you. The Realm's collar is tight and heavy around the neck of our people, and chokes the life from Okeanos. Children are torn from their parents, people sold into slavery to meet the empire's demands, and the bounties given us by the Ocean Father are snatched away before we can taste them. I ask that you break the Realm's oppression, before it cripples us.

"Your demon friend there would be a useful ally in this, but were he to cast out the Realm, he would only take the throne for himself, and rule an empire of blood. This must not happen either.

"If you can break our chains of empire without putting another monster over us, the Children of the Storm will be your allies forevermore."

Kurosen
2015-02-26, 10:56 PM
"Ah harrrr. you got yerself a deal! We share a common enemy, being that blasted Realm!" Then switches to Old Realm "Octavian! You want to do something fun with me out here on Creation? Lets topple the Realm!"

Cashius
2015-02-26, 11:51 PM
"I must set sail to the island of Punica. There is a dangerous object there that must be recovered. You wouldn't happen to know where the island is would you?"

CosplayKitten
2015-02-27, 01:10 AM
I part ways with Dragica so that I can search for the rest of our group and share what information we have so far. First I'll seek out Barbus.

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-27, 10:38 AM
"I have charts leading there," he replies, "though I believe they'll be of little use to you. It is far northeast of here, where the Guild is strong. I have never been, but it is said that those who dwell there see as does the moon, and live as long as the gods."

It's at that time that the pale Seamstress emerges into the temple.
Barbus is at the temple of the Ocean Father; crossing the threshold, you see ornate decorations of carved coral and painted shell, pearls as big as your hand glistening with an unsurpassed luster, and upon the altar to the Ocean Father, a great stone cauldron that smells strongly of brine.

Barbus and his horse-sized dog look very out-of-place here, and it occurs that you stick out even more, used as you are to the Silver Prince's somber shrines.
Octavian laughs in reply. "We two, against ten thousand dragons? You're as bold as they come, Hogane, but their wretched empire is an entire world away! Still, we can crush the skulls of some of their dogs here…"

The Child of the Storm lets you onto his cloud, and Octavian boards his jeweled wasp; soon, you have returned to the looming mountain that crowns the Keys of Matscha. "Captain," Octavian beckons, "what is your plan for assailing the Realm?"

Cashius
2015-02-27, 02:01 PM
"I have heard these rumors as well but we must make the journey none the less or a great deal of people will be in danger," seeing Seamstress enter the temple, "Ah Seamstress let me introduce you to Dorun. He is a priest here at the temple. Dorun was just showing me the route to our Island. We will need to pick up the captain before we sail for Punica."

In a casual tone, "Also, when we get back, I need your help to drive the realm from the west."

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-27, 08:41 PM
"It is a journey of no mean feat," bronze-skinned Dorun explains. "Even for a fast vessel it can take weeks."

He fetches the chart and unrolls it on the altar for you to see; though neither of you are experts on naval charts, it doesn't seem a prodigious distance, but Dorun explains it is a matter of unfavorable currents, a couple of reefs, and some other islands that needs be given a wide berth for certain dangers present.

CosplayKitten
2015-02-28, 02:29 AM
I thank you for the assistance Dorun. I turn to Barbus. I'm ready to set out when you are, lets gather the others.

Cashius
2015-02-28, 09:10 PM
"Very well, let us leave at once. Good bye for now Dorun, enjoy your time now for when I return we begin our plans."

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-01, 01:15 AM
Dorun gives you the location of another isle on which to expect him and the recruits. "Training them here would attract too much attention."

By the time you leave the Ocean Father's temple, Barbus' caste mark has ceased glowing. One of the Realm-born sailors from your crew is waiting. "Mister Barbus, Miss Seamstress, I was looking for you earlier, but you weren't in. Word is that the satrap's men want to talk to all the ship's officers. Flit and Salt have already given 'em some words; we told them to expect you tomorrow if we could find you by then."

Something about the look in his eye suggests he has more to say, but is holding back.

CosplayKitten
2015-03-01, 02:11 AM
You seem unsettled, what exactly do they want to talk to us about?

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-01, 08:12 AM
"I- well, the thing is… okay, unofficial word is that we're In Trouble. Something about how the Captain lied about our take and tried to short the satrap. They're also doubting the story Hogane gave for how Barbus defeated the A-A-Anathema and sank his ship - that he didn't really sink the A-Anathema's ship, and is hiding it to further cheat the satrap's cut…

"That's not true, is it?" he asks Barbus. "You sank the ship fighting the dead h-he called up, right?"

Cashius
2015-03-01, 02:54 PM
"Of course I did, I killed him myself with my bare hands. The ship sank when is took damage from our fight with the undead horde he summoned from the depths. We just managed to salvage the tribute before the ship went down."

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-01, 03:10 PM
"I believe you, I believe you!" he replies. "I don't know much else, but truth or lies, something's got the satrap's men moving against us. If they think the Captain did cheat them, they'll be out for blood."

Cashius
2015-03-01, 08:22 PM
"If anything does happen don't you worry. I will doing everything I can to protect this crew."

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-02, 03:06 PM
Following that, you make what arrangements you can, and then bed down at your respective lodgings.

The Next Morning…

A thunderous bang sounds on the wooden door, instantly jarring you awake. Bang! Bang! Bang! Surely a mailed fist is beating on the door!

"This is the Shore Guard! We've been told the Seamstress of Dissolution resides here! She's needed for questioning!"

Outside the door can be seen a small knot of men wearing padded eelskin jackets, with bows held at the ready.
Clammy, cold hands grip your body like iron manacles. As pale as a drowned man, he draws his blue-tinged lips back to reveal teeth like a shark's. Your ancestral sword comes down on him like a thunderbolt, but corrodes to ash at the parry of his moaning black sword.

This time, you have no allies; this time, though you throw their broken forms to the deck time and again, the dead hold you in place as the pirate runs you through. Your hot blood waters the deck, and the rotting faces of the dead dip down to lap at the offering.

"Tell me your name again, legend…"

His hand is around your throat - you cannot speak, you cannot breathe! Your own struggles wrench his limbs and cave in his skull, but he laughs and laughs as your vision swims…

"Barbus! Wake up!"

You are shocked awake by the shout from Dorun, whose face has gone white with fear.

"Were you… having a nightmare, Barbus?" He seems incredulous that one such as you can even feel fear. "Listen, Barbus, there's men outside from the Realm. They want you for questioning. I couldn't turn them away. Please remember your promise, Barbus…"

Cashius
2015-03-02, 05:05 PM
"I remember my promise," Barbus mumbles, trying to shake the images of the dream out of his mind, "Tell them, I will be there shortly." He gets up and puts on his armor as fast as he can. Once that is done, he grabs his sword and club from near his bed. Ready, Barbus whistles for Hunter and goes to meet the visitors. "So, how can I help you this fine morning?"

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-03, 06:08 AM
It is most assuredly not a fine morning; the gray clouds of yesterday now spatter the island city with contemptuous drizzle, bringing a chill to the air.

"We need you to come with us, Barbus." A dozen men of the Neck's Shore Guard stand outside, clad in stiff padded jackets of eelskin and carrying bows.

"Hopefully you can answer some questions."

Cashius
2015-03-03, 09:34 AM
Barbus looks each of them up and down, gauging their strength, "Lead on then, I'd be happy to help anyway I can."

Kurosen
2015-03-03, 07:45 PM
I turn to Octavian and reply "Well I havent thought of that, but I bet these storm children will have some more information on the situation, find some key points, and demolish them! remove their grip over the west, and move from there, we should be able to get some allies out here as well, and from home. I'm particually interesting in looking for some 'power' under the waves as well as above... that should definitely help us, this is going to be a blash" and gives off a hearty pirate captain's laugh.

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-04, 06:06 PM
You're led through the street; it's a small comfort that the shell structure overhead keeps you dry as the drizzle continues. The men bring you to the Coral Palace, an attractive building carved in its entirety from a massive amount of coral. The Shore Guard men stay silent as they cross a courtyard (also protected from the rain by huge, translucent panels) and lead you into an office, where a woman waits.

She is dressed in formal robes with symbols and insignias that are meaningless to you; her hair is blonde and pulled into a severe bun; she glances at you with ice-like eyes framed behind a pair of spectacles. She kneels at a low table, brush in hand, and gestures for you to be seated. Another gesture from her leads the men to close the door, leaving the two of you alone.

"Do you know why you're here… Barbus?"
"Then I shall leave you to it, pirate. Mine is no head for strategy. I suppose I shall relax below until you are ready." He chuckles and spurs on Damaskenos, who takes off down the mountain.

"You'll understand," says the Child of the Storm with a sigh, "that I'll hold you responsible if he murders any residents of Okeanos to alleviate his boredom, yes? Just to be safe, I'll send word down the mountain for the villagers to hide, as they are under our protection. Shall we venture inside?"

Cashius
2015-03-04, 06:51 PM
"I imagine it has something to do with the realm tribute we retrieved, " Barbus replies as he takes his seat. He motions Hunter to lie down next to him.

CosplayKitten
2015-03-04, 10:43 PM
I get dressed and tell Nip to behave as I head to the door. I greet them with as much decorum as I can muster, having been woken in such a way. "Yes, I am the one they call Seamstress. Can I help you?"

Kurosen
2015-03-04, 10:49 PM
"Sure, lets go." and follows the child inside.

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-05, 02:56 AM
"A reasonable guess," she admits. She produces a savory meat treat from a pocket and throws it to Hunter, who snaps it out of the air and chews happily.

"When you recovered our tribute, you witnessed the captain in combat, yes? Did he exhibit any… strange abilities?"

She lowers her voice a little, giving you her most trustworthy look. "You don't have to be afraid. He won't give you trouble here."
"Can you come back with us to the Coral Palace to answer some questions?"

Nip twists his way up your sleeve, a motion that rubs his cool but insubstantial scales against your skin. He does not speak, but you understand that he wishes to come along for moral support.
The prayer wheels spin as you enter with the sorcerer, displaying the Eight Auspicious Symbols. Paeans of sea and storm are carried from room to room on currents of sea air; the Child of the Storm brings you to a sitting room.

"If you're hungry or thirsty, just ask one of the acolytes," he says. "But I intend to discuss more dire matters. This reached us yesterday."

He unrolls a scroll of parchment. On it in painstaking brush-strokes is a depiction of none other than yourself. Every detail is stunning in its accuracy. ANATHEMA is written across the top. Details follow below the image, listing a lengthy history of heinous crimes of piracy, diabolism, and worse; last but not least, the reward of a talent of jade or one's weight in silver for your capture or death.

"I'll not betray you to the Realm, for your promise, but I can't promise that others won't. You may not be able to trust your old associates."

CosplayKitten
2015-03-05, 04:49 AM
"Yes I suppose so." I appear to smooth a wrinkle in my sleeve as I pet Nip reassuringly.

Cashius
2015-03-05, 11:25 AM
"Strange....," Barbus pauses in contemplation, "I think he did some sorcery while we were on the ship. He summoned a whale from the depths that we used to pursue the pirate. I have heard of shamans having the power to summon sea creatures to their aid."

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-05, 04:23 PM
She wrinkles her nose a bit at your reply. "Yes, some shamans and god-bloods. But this was different. He glowed brighter than a beacon, and on his forehead was a symbol of the Anathema."

Dipping her brush into some ink, she draws a blood-red circle on a blank expanse of unrolled parchment; it does resemble the mark that shone on Hogane's brow.

"Is it possible, Barbus, that your captain is one of the Anathema? I promise, if you turn away from his unholy leadership, and shun the ways of the Wretched, we will forgive you." She smiles and offers an upraised hand to Barbus. "We can put you on a swift ship with your pick of crew. You can be your own Captain, and seek the adventure you crave. The Neck is too small for you, Barbus." Her voice softens, taking on an almost hypnotic quality.

Outside you can hear the rain increase in intensity, drumming on the translucent coral canopy.
"We'll try and keep this short; I'm sure as a healer, your time is valuable." The man gives a nod toward the wooden mask given you by the festival-folk, leaning not far from the door.

The men bring you to the Coral Palace, a structure on par with one of the more lavish buildings of Skullstone; as you cross the threshold it occurs to you that this posh edifice probably taps into the geomancy of the land. Light drizzle advances into proper rain, but the translucent canopy of carven coral shelters those inside the Palace from the rain.

They bring you to the outside door of an office, where guards are already posted. "It seems they're already questioning someone. Please wait here with us."

Cashius
2015-03-05, 04:51 PM
"A tempting offer to be sure and I wouldn't want to be in league with an anathema. But how do I know to trust you when I don't even know your name."

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-05, 05:15 PM
"Sesus Alon Salexi, charmed," she says. "And you can trust me because I want to help you, Barbus. I have no reason to lie to you about our plans. Ask me anything."

Cashius
2015-03-05, 05:28 PM
"Let's say I accept your offer, what would you want in return?"

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-05, 06:24 PM
She brushes a black swathe of ink over the red circle. "In return? Let the Wyld Hunt sweep over Hogane as it means to do. Go out and find the glory that you seek."

"Do you know what he did to you, Barbus? He led you on, and abandoned you. He tried to swindle us out of our due, and ran for it when we realized we were onto him. Why else would he leave you twisting in the wind, and take his treasure map with him?"

Cashius
2015-03-05, 07:02 PM
"IF he did betray me, I will not stand for it. Allow me to accompany your Wyld Hunt and gain my vengance."

CosplayKitten
2015-03-05, 07:33 PM
"Very well."I use my connection with Nip to ask him to sneak into the room and let me hear what is going on inside.

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-05, 07:51 PM
The low hiss you subvocalize is quiet enough to evade the guards' notice, but Nip picks up on it right away. A moment's brush against the wall lets the Lethe serpent slither through immaterially, and once you shift your senses into Nip, it's an easy matter to observe the discussion taking place in the next room…

A woman's voice, low and hypnotic. You don't hear it so much as feel it, smell its warmth.

"Is it possible, Barbus, that your captain is one of the Anathema? I promise, if you turn away from his unholy leadership, and shun the ways of the Wretched, we will forgive you. We can put you on a swift ship with your pick of crew. You can be your own Captain, and seek the adventure you crave. The Neck is too small for you, Barbus."

OOC: Assuming you listen the whole time, you pick up the conversation from that point.
"I'm afraid the Anathema are full of tricks, Barbus. Some use vile magics to weave unbreakable chains of bondage into the minds of their followers. We don't know that he hasn't laid such a curse on you, and it wouldn't do for you to turn on us in the heat of battle. No, Barbus, I daren't risk it - I'm sure the desire for vengeance runs hot in your blood, but your adventures lie elsewhere." Her expression is full of regret.

Cashius
2015-03-05, 08:03 PM
"I am under no ones control!" Barbus yells, "However, I understand your reasoning. Very well, I accept your offer. I will take your fastest ship. It must be big enough to compensate my old crew. I doubt my traitor captain is in need of them anymore."

CosplayKitten
2015-03-05, 08:14 PM
I stand quietly and listen in on the conversation between Barbus and the woman that calls herself Sesus. I question what Barbus is up to, but I'm sure he'll fill me in when he gets that chance. If anything, this may help us get to the island we seek.

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-05, 08:42 PM
"You shall have your ship in the next few days, Barbus," she replies with a tight-lipped expression. "Thank you for your cooperation." She gestures to the door.

When you exit with Hunter, you see Seamstress standing outside, with a knot of guards nearby.
As Barbus exits the room, Nip slithers back into place up your sleeve and through the collar of your coat.

Cashius
2015-03-05, 08:52 PM
Barbus nods to Seamstress as he leaves the room stopping outside to wait for her to finish her questioning.

CosplayKitten
2015-03-05, 09:11 PM
I nod back to Barbus "Good morning Barbus. Sleep well?" I walk into the room before he can reply, trying to get this over with so we can get on with our day.

Kurosen
2015-03-05, 09:52 PM
*Ah harr...* "Thats all I'm worth to the realm? I think we need to raise the ante...I think we need to make it an island's worth just to get me, but if this is going out, they aren't going to pull any punches...I need to get in contact with my crew...all of them" and wonders how to contact Barbus and Seamstress...

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-05, 10:13 PM
As the guards close the door behind Seamstress, one says to you, "Thanks for not making this difficult."

As Hunter saunters toward the exit, a local youth soaked to the bone enters the palace. As drenched as he is, it's initially hard to tell that he's in tears, but the sobs in his voice make it all too apparent.

"P-please! M-my father! I t-th-think someone killed him!"
"The Realm will price far more than a talent of jade for your head, once word of the monster you called up,"[/COLOR] the sorcerer muses aloud.

"As for your crew, we can send messengers. The Realm's dogs call on us often enough that our movements would go unnoticed. Tell me, Hogane, where are they now? You can write a missive to them, and one of our acolytes can deliver it."
As you enter the office, you see the Sesus woman with your own eyes.

"Have a seat, miss Seamstress. An odd name… paired with your complexion, I'm guessing you're from Skullstone?"

CosplayKitten
2015-03-05, 10:47 PM
"That is correct. You seem to already know me, but I'm afraid I don't know you. May I ask your name?"

Kurosen
2015-03-05, 11:01 PM
"My crew are probably heading back to the same place me mates Barbus and Seamstress are located in, which is [CITY NAME]" We need to get them back here to discuss things, especially away from the Realm."

He starts to pace back and forth

"Now other than our usual antics, what else do we have in our Arsenal, also I'm curious, do you speak other languages?"

Cashius
2015-03-06, 12:11 AM
Barbus rushes toward the youth, "It's ok. You are safe now. Tell me what happend?"

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-06, 10:50 AM
"My name is Sesus Alon Salexi," she says, smiling, "but you can call me Salexi. As for knowing about you, I've questioned the other officers. Many of them had great things to say about you and your magic satchel. I wonder… was a ghost your father? Mere mortals cannot wield the tools of the Chosen, after all…"
"I speak the tongue of the seas and the tongue of the gods; what need have I for another?"

He sends for a roll of paper. "What do you mean… 'arsenal?' Also, can you write with your unbroken arm?"
"That's a chief's son…" one Shore Guard observes. The guards also move in, listening to the boy. "My father was brought in late last night by two women, with no memory of who he was. He didn't even recognize me! I helped him to bed, and went to bed myself. When I got up in the morning, he wasn't in his bed… I found him in the basement, and he was dead."

Cashius
2015-03-06, 04:01 PM
"Do not worry, your father's killer will be found," Barbus looks to the guard, "Do you need any help with tracking? I am very skilled."

CosplayKitten
2015-03-06, 04:44 PM
"I don't really know who my birth Father was, or my Mother. I was raised in a Ministry run Orphanage since I was born."

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-06, 06:20 PM
"T-thank you," the youth replies, drying his tears. You can see his resemblance to the chief you roughed up the previous night.

The guards ponder your offer for only a moment. The most-experienced-looking one speaks. "Yes, we've heard of your prowess from the Dragon-Blooded. Your skills and your dog's nose may come in handy; bring both. If this turns out to be murder we'll want to bring the killer to justice as swiftly as possible."
"You poor dear," she says. "What brings you so far afield of your home, Seamstress?"

CosplayKitten
2015-03-06, 06:47 PM
"Curiosity I suppose. I wish to learn about other places, and help people when I can. I have a gift for healing, why not put it to use?"

Cashius
2015-03-06, 07:00 PM
"Lead the way," Barbus responds, "Hunter lets go."

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-06, 08:02 PM
"I, too, was possessed of a lust for travel. It's why I'm here, to see the sights."

She sighs, tracing her fingers over her sash. "Back home, there are just so many duties and obligations to uphold. Tell me, Seamstress, is freedom nice?"

Outside, Hunter can be heard barking.
"Very well, you and you, stay here and advise the palace guard and council of chieftains of the situation. Barbus, Oa, you're with me. You, too, son." The Shore Guard pulls a handful of arrows into his hand as he walks. "With that club and sword, I'd guess you're primarily good up-close. If the killer is still in the house, we'll cover you with our bows."

Hunter barks twice, and then tears toward the exit, bowling over a man with greenish-tinted skin in the process.

Cashius
2015-03-06, 08:14 PM
"Sounds good to me," Barbus stops up to the green skinned man following hunter, "Sorry about that but we are in a hurry."

CosplayKitten
2015-03-06, 08:24 PM
I glance toward the door hearing the barking. "Being able to travel is nice, yes."

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-06, 08:35 PM
Swearing and glaring at you with his red-tinged eyes, the man hauls himself to his feet as you pass.

On the way to the house, one of the Shore Guard, Oa, explains to you, "Investigation's not really part of our job - we're more for defending against raiders. If we don't catch him at the scene, your tracking will almost certainly be required."

You reach the familiar house of the lesser chieftain. It looks much the same as it did the night before, rain spattering hard now against the roof.

"I'll secure the outside," volunteers Oa, brandishing his bow.

The late chieftain's son admits you and the guard into the house, and shows you the way into the basement. The remaining guard takes up an oil lamp from a counter, and lights it, shining it down the stairs. A rumble of thunder breaks the silence.

Downstairs is a gruesome scene. The chief's body lies slumped against the wall, twisted and lifeless. His expression is one of unsurpassed terror, and his throat is crushed to a pulp. Gaping bites seem to have been gouged out of his flesh, as if by a shark's mouth, but surprisingly little blood marks the scene of this awful death.
"Would you see the glass towers of Chiaroscuro, Seamstress? Wander the markets of the Imperial City? Ride on an elephant's back through the streets of An-Teng? I could take you with me…" She smiles wistfully.

"Hogane has revealed himself for what he truly is at heart: a silver-tongued demon. The Wyld Hunt prepares, even now, to scourge him from the face of Creation. You don't have to come with me, but I ask that you leave that monster to his deserved fate."

CosplayKitten
2015-03-06, 09:22 PM
"I'm not sure what you mean about Hogane, but I've enjoyed sailing with him and his crew. I'd rather stay with them during my travels, but I appreciate your offer to travel with you." I look away for a moment in thought. "If Hogane is what you say he is though, I suppose it wouldn't be good for me to stay with him. It doesn't make much difference one way or another to me, I'm not one to judge others, but I would like to stay with the rest of the crew."

Kurosen
2015-03-06, 10:03 PM
"So you understand this? by Arsenal I mean my ship, and I can just write with my other arm if I can't"

Cashius
2015-03-06, 10:11 PM
Heading downstairs with the guardsman and hunter, Barbus observes the basement. First checking if they have any unwanted visitors then for any noticeable cues or tracks using his unsurpassed sight discipline. "Hunter find any unusual scents, I'll look for tracks."

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-06, 10:15 PM
"We've agreed to make Barbus the captain of a swift vessel, in search of the adventure he craves," she replies, seeming almost sad to admit it. "You can sail with him." She stands and walks to the door, not letting you see her face.

"I'll pray to the Dragons that you help many in your travels."
"I'm afraid I know little of your ship, Hogane. I would suppose it's in Solid Shell with your crew."
Your eyes overflow with Essence as your vision grows keen. Your eyes observe something strange about one of the drops of blood - it has an "edge" to it, as if it were not allowed to settle on one side. Other drops and splatters of blood have similar edges, forming a subtle line. The edges of the wall behind the dead chief seem a little too well-defined, and from there you realize that it is a false wall! It must have been open when the blood settled on the floor!

CosplayKitten
2015-03-06, 10:21 PM
"I would like that, and I will do my best to help as many people as I can. I thank you for helping Barbus find another ship for us to sail." I almost feel bad for not taking her offer to travel with her, but I don't think she would want me around if she knew what I really was.

Cashius
2015-03-06, 10:41 PM
"This wall is false," Barbus reaches out and touches the wall. He readies himself for what lay in wait.

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-07, 03:29 AM
She leaves you then, heading into another corridor and rounding a corner out of sight.

A man adjusts his clothes a bit near the palace exit; his skin is similar to the bronze cast of the Okeanos people, but with a greenish tint, his eyes tinged with red. Barbus and Hunter appear to have departed, along with a number of Shore Guard.

"If you're looking for Barbus, you missed him, miss Seamstress," says one of the guardsmen. "A son of one of the little chieftains came in and said his father was killed. Barbus ran over there to help catch the killer."
The section of wall "gives" a little, confirming your suspicion. Your keen eyes find the concealed hinges and handle, and with little effort on your part, you pull the wall open.

The secret passage opens into a small room - barely larger than a closet, equipped with bedding, medicines, surgical tools, and bandages. A low table holds stacks of papers covered in a dense scrawl of confusing writing, and what looks to be a medical diagram of a human's lower body.

Blood spatters the room here as well, and the disarray of the chamber makes a struggle seem evident. You also discover some slivers of bloodstained bronze in an overturned surgical pan.

"What is all this?" the Shore Guard says, pale as he peers into the room.

CosplayKitten
2015-03-07, 03:59 AM
"What?" I raise my voice, alarmed. "Which chieftain? Which way did they go?"

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-07, 08:35 AM
"Smaragdi chief, lives west of here." When he rattles off the address, you realize the dead man is the same one you visited last night!

Cashius
2015-03-07, 12:22 PM
"Get my companion Seamstress, she would know what all this is," Barbus looks to Hunter, "Find that scent boy?"

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-07, 02:59 PM
The guard nods curtly and disappears up the stairs; you suspect he was eager to escape this charnel scene. With you alone with Hunter, your dog ambles over to a few filthy bandages and takes a deep sniff. "Found a scent I can track," the golden hound vocalizes gruffly. He follows his nose in a sweep of the room and into the basement.

"Bandaged man was in bed at least a few days. Chief came in a few hours ago. Bandaged man killed him. Dragged body into basement. Went upstairs after that. Smell is hours old."

He stops at the foot of the stairs, turning his head toward Barbus. "Dangerous man. Smells like death."

CosplayKitten
2015-03-07, 05:21 PM
I give a quck bow to the guard. "Thank you." I rush to the chief's house as fast as I can manage, unsure of what scene I may come across once I get there. On the way I wonder if his death has anything to do with the information he gave us, or if it happens to be a coincidence.

Cashius
2015-03-07, 05:24 PM
Barbus looks surprised at Hunter, "When did you learn to talk....." Barbus shakes his head. "It doesn't matter I suppose. We need to catch up with the killer." He takes on last look at the mutilated body of the chief before leaving, the image of a shark tooth grin flashing in his mind. "Let go Hunter."

Running into Seamstress as we exit the basement, "Hunter found a scent, we are going after him."

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-07, 06:12 PM
"Learned it in the kennels," he starts to explain, but falls silent as the two of you ascend the stairs, focusing on tracking the scent.
On the way another Shore Guard finds you and appraises you as swiftly as he can manage of the situation. He babbles a bit about the chief's mangled and partly-consumed corpse and a secret passage opening into a room filled with blood and a table of surgical tools and strange papers.
Hunter follows the scent out of the house, the two Shore Guard following with you, and toward the Realm's docks and shipyard. There appears to be some confusion about, with lots of yelling and armed Realm soldiers climbing onto vessels.

CosplayKitten
2015-03-07, 06:14 PM
I follow Barbus and Hunter for now, not wanting the trail to go cold. If I need to I can go back to the house later to look at the scene myself.

Cashius
2015-03-08, 08:37 PM
"Did you lose the scent Hunter? Is he on one of these ships?"

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-09, 10:00 AM
Hunter barks in reply. He runs onto the docks, then whines at an empty spot. The Shore Guards reach you seconds later.

"This is where Swift Moray was moored," Oa says. "Whoever killed the chief must've stolen it and sailed away." He looks to the soldiers. "They must be putting together a group for pursuit. Thanks for your help, Barbus, Seamstress - we'll take it from here."

Kurosen
2015-03-09, 03:57 PM
"Basically what I'm concerned about is what type of power we have at our disposal...I have a great crew, and they work together very well, I also have Octavian over here willing to help, and a large ship with a couple of big weapons. Do we have more at our disposal, or should I start recruiting some more? And what is with this scroll anyways? what am I agreeing to on this? so much going on makes a sailor feel like a land lubber!" and laughs his deep pirate laugh.

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-09, 04:19 PM
"The parchment is for you to write your message on, Hogane."

As for the other questions, he shrugs his shoulders. "I can't say for sure. The Children of the Storm command few 'proper' ships - our small numbers give us little need for large vessels. Recruiting should be done with caution, as those you try and draw in may well try to sell you out to the Realm.

"The probable first step for you would be to kill or drive out the Imperials from the capital in a decisive strike. Guerrilla raids would only bleed our people in the long run, and the Realm would use our people to try and destroy you."

Cashius
2015-03-09, 04:29 PM
Once they get a good distance from everyone Barbus looks to Seamstress, "This all reminds me of that pirate captain we killed. Could someone survive what I did to him?"

"Also you think we should wait for the captain to get back with the remaining crew or make our way to the island with your onyx eye? I'm not sure how much a threat this item is. So, I will defer to your judgement. Either way, we need to wait till our ship is ready before we can set off. You mind talking to the crew with me about our current state of affairs."

CosplayKitten
2015-03-10, 02:24 AM
I think over his question about the pirate captain. "I'm not sure, but I suppose it could be possible. As far as the gem, I think if he's not back by the time the ship is ready, we should go ahead without him for now. It's important to get it back as soon as possible. I can go with you to talk to the crew."

Cashius
2015-03-10, 01:13 PM
Barbus calls a meeting between all the officers. Once assembled Barbus addresses them, "It would seem the Captian has been accused of beening an Anathema. Because of this, the ship will probably go back to satrap. So, we need to decided what to do from here. The realm has offered me a ship and I would like you all to join Seamstress and I in another mission. We would sail to the island Punica in search on an item of great importance. So, what say you all."

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-10, 01:44 PM
"Before you made your little deal with them," Father Salt says, "there was talk of us disbanding. But I'd rather sail with you lot. You 'n' Seamstress both saved my life, and I'll not forget it easily."

One by one, the officers give their assent.

"I don't imagine there's much profit to be had," says Amanaki, the purser chosen to replace Dragica. "Who's funding this excursion?"

Kurosen
2015-03-10, 06:04 PM
"And would this be the Realm's capital, or something more local? Oh I didn't even realize about the parchment, I must still be quite tired...or drunk" with another pirate laugh he goes on and attempts to write a message...
"Father Salt, Barbus, Seamstress:
We got ourselves a new calling, gather the crew and meet me at [ISLAND NAME WHERE I AM] for further instructions and fun.

Ah Harr,
Hogane

He then hands it back to the child of storm for sending.

Cashius
2015-03-10, 06:27 PM
"Who sent you on this mission Seamstress? Perhaps they could aid us in this endeavor?"

CosplayKitten
2015-03-10, 06:34 PM
"I can contact them if you allow me a moment. I'm not sure what I can get to help, but I shall see."

Cashius
2015-03-11, 03:49 PM
"Very well, we will sail in two to three days so make sure the crew is ready then." Barbus finishes up unless the they have any questions.

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-11, 04:15 PM
"Perhaps you should get some rest, Captain - we have accommodations you could use."

"Three days," Salt says resolutely.

"I have a question actually," says Flit. "What manner of ship have you secured? Since ownership of the old vessel's rescinded and all."

"What are we expecting on Punica?" asks Tiny. "Will there be any opposition?"

"And if you're going to be the new Captain, who will be the Master of Arms?"

Cashius
2015-03-11, 04:39 PM
"I'll have to get back to you on the ship details. I'm going to go meet with the authorities to work out the details. As for the island, I would expect opposition if this thing is as dangerous as Seamstress says it is. As for the nature of the opposition, I don't know." Barbus pause at the thought of being Captain, "Well, I haven't thought about who would replace my old position. You all have any candidates?"

CosplayKitten
2015-03-11, 09:26 PM
While the details are being worked out I contact my adoptive father and update him on my quest and ask him about the crews request for funding.

Kurosen
2015-03-11, 09:56 PM
"Well that would be nice, though any large room will do, I rest in a different matter, no point hiding it since you know what I am.

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-12, 12:23 AM
"Pin's just a deckhand, but he's a good shot with the ballista," Flit offers helpfully.

"He's also a scrub from the Realm," mutters Tiny. "I have a cousin who was in the Shore Guard we could ask."
The funds given you at Skullstone are running low, and the incenses you burn as offering to your father command a much higher price; a little blood should help draw his attention.

Your whispered prayers almost seem to freeze and hang in the air like the incense-smoke as a finger like ice traces across the stitches that run down your face and body. However, it is nowhere near as cold as the touch you feel on your soul. The words of your father, the Silver Prince, echo across a thousand miles to reach you.

Dearest daughter of mine, I receive your offerings graciously and offer my reply thusly. Punica is not far from my domain, and when you reach there, I should be able to aid you more directly. However, a man of Okeanos is in a position to help you presently. He can provide the money you need. His name is Silver Coracle. Simply repeat the following phrase to him: "Guilt and secrets, like murdered bones, do not rest easy, but all three can be lived with."
The sorcerer nods and shows you to a well-appointed room. There are also a few sumptuous food dishes, and the smell of hot food reminds you of how long it's been since you had a sit-down meal.

CosplayKitten
2015-03-12, 12:32 AM
"Thank you father. I shall bring the amulet back to you as soon as the last piece has been recovered." I bid him goodbye for the moment and seek out this man called Silver Coracle.

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-12, 05:07 AM
If you find him before sundown, wait until dusk to say the words to him. Farewell, my daughter, and take my blessing as you go.

It takes quite a bit of asking around; apparently Silver Coracle was something of a merchant in the older days, but very few are sure of where he resides now. Finally one man recalls enough to tell you where Coracle's son lives. With that, you find a smallish but well-appointed home.

"My father?" his son asks. "Yes, I can take you to him." He walks around to the backyard, inviting you to follow.

The sun lights the clouds ablaze as it sinks into the western horizon. The young man gestures to a stone, which has the image of a ship engraved on it. "This is where I buried him," the son says, "eleven years ago." The final sliver of sunlight disappears finally, and a breeze stirs the grasses.

CosplayKitten
2015-03-12, 02:27 PM
Not taken aback by this revelation in the least, I thank his son and ask if I may stay at the grave site for a moment.

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-12, 04:42 PM
"I'll let you pay your respects," he says quietly, and departs.

Cashius
2015-03-12, 05:32 PM
"I'll have a talk with Pin to see if he is up to the task. If that is it let us get back together two days from now to discuss further. If you have any questions before then just let me know. O, if any of you see Pin before I do, tell him to come see me," Barbus then heads to the building he had his questioning to work out the details of the ship.

CosplayKitten
2015-03-12, 05:38 PM
I wait until the last light fades from the horizon and then speak the words the Silver Prince gave me.

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-12, 06:13 PM
"Aye-aye, Captain."

One by one the men file out, leaving you alone. When you return to the Coral Palace, you discover that the Dragon-Blooded woman you dealt with earlier is nowhere to be found. Nonetheless you meet with a Realm representative about your ship, and he informs you that the very vessel intended for you was the same one stolen off the docks. "That certainly complicates things. However, even if they don't recover it, we can give you the use of another ship. Perhaps a bireme?"
The wind picks up as you speak the words. When you finish, an indistinct figure flickers faintly into being in the shadow of the stone. As the dark of the night deepens, the shape becomes brighter, gains clarity and definition. It is the ghost of an older gentleman; he bears jewelry of carved coral and lustrous pearls.

"A ghost whispered those words to me, once, when still I lived. I owe this ghost a great debt. Do you come calling for that debt, stitched one?"

CosplayKitten
2015-03-12, 06:16 PM
"That I do."

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-12, 06:19 PM
"Very well. How might I pay this debt?"

CosplayKitten
2015-03-12, 06:29 PM
"It is funding I seek, if you have a way to proved such a thing."

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-12, 06:37 PM
"This I will do. I have funds squared away where no mortal eye sees it, and these you may have…" The spirit looks at the ground.

"I am in no position to ask a favor of you, but I feel I must ask anyway… if it is in your power, will you grant it?"

CosplayKitten
2015-03-12, 06:45 PM
"As thanks for your assistance, yes if it is in my power i will grant your favor. What is it you request of me?"

TheCountAlucard
2015-03-12, 06:53 PM
He shares the location of his cache with you; it is in a sea-cave on a cliff-face at the island's edge.

"As for the favor, it concerns my boy. My son has grown indolent since he buried me. He never speaks words over my grave, or makes offerings of meat or drink. Is a paper boat and incense burnt for me too much to ask? A pinch of blood offered as he speaks my name? His house is prosperous off the sweat of my brow, yet what thanks does he show for it? Do this for me, please. I was not even able to say this to him myself, for without these offerings, I lack the essence to make my voice heard to him."