PDA

View Full Version : R.A.W., How to Slay a Vampire

P.F.
2014-12-05, 11:11 PM
So far, this is what I have come up with.

Spells:
Disintegrate
Magic Jar
Polymorph Any Object (?)
Sunbeam/Sunburst
Undeath to Death
Plane Shift (to somewhere sunny)
Forcecage (while outdoors)

Class Abilities:
Greater Turning

Items:
Vorpal Sword (on a 20 w/crit)
Mace of Disruption (on a failed save)

Techniques:
Immerse in running water
Stake and destroy (in combat or while asleep in coffin)
Reduce to 0 HP and prevent returning to coffin
Expose to direct sunlight

I'm looking for suggestions. I can use anything that says it kills, destroys, slays, obliterates, or otherwise ends the vampire's tenure on existence.

Edit: Updated to include suggestions

ZamielVanWeber
2014-12-05, 11:28 PM
Edit: Whoops, I was thinking of a different spell. Never mind.

Plane Shift. You can choose to plop them right in the middle of a plane that is permanently sunny, as a few of the layers upper planes are implied to be. (They are also clearly far from home)

KillianHawkeye
2014-12-05, 11:32 PM
Technically, once you reduce a vampire to 0 hp and it returns to its coffin, it is pretty much helpless for an hour before it comes back and starts healing again. So if you can follow it or in some other way find its resting place, you can go and behead it or whatever during that window of opportunity.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-12-05, 11:36 PM
Smart vampires hide their coffins behind piles of locked doors and slip in through the tiniest cracks. If you can use some divination ahead of time to figure out where its coffin is.

KillianHawkeye
2014-12-05, 11:56 PM
Smart vampires hide their coffins behind piles of locked doors and slip in through the tiniest cracks. If you can use some divination ahead of time to figure out where its coffin is.

Even so, if you are fighting one and reduce it to zero hp, it's usually not that hard to just follow its gaseous form back to its coffin.

razorback
2014-12-06, 12:13 AM
(Expensive) Force Cage (Windowless Cell version) outside. Wait for daylight.

Jack_Simth
2014-12-06, 01:33 AM
Magic Jar the beast, then use the soul trapped in a gem as an optional material component as per the Book of Vile Darkness. Destroy it's undead soul forever.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-12-06, 04:28 AM
The True Daylight ACF (ECR) can destroy vampires easily if you can prevent them from moving out of it for 1 round.

Starbuck_II
2014-12-06, 12:32 PM
If you are strong enough (to do at least 15 damage) use a stake to drive into its heart to paralyze it. Then cut off head with all the time in the world. They can't turn to gaseous form if staked to get away.
But I'm not sure how other catching them in their coffin how to do this.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-06, 01:13 PM
Huh, it looks like Flesh to Stone only works on creatures. I guess that means that you can't cast it on a side of beef or on a vampire.

I guess PAO still works though.

atemu1234
2014-12-06, 01:27 PM
Huh, it looks like Flesh to Stone only works on creatures. I guess that means that you can't cast it on a side of beef or on a vampire.

PAO him into a beetle, seal it in Amber, and have some sick jewelry.

P.F.
2014-12-07, 01:51 AM
PAO him into a beetle, seal it in Amber, and have some sick jewelry.

Would be cool but he reverts to original form when he dies.

As long as they aren't already in gaseous form. Not clear what of the original form they retain, however. It specifies new Intelligence but not Wisdom and Charisma unless the original doesn't have them, so I guess a vampire would keep those two. Polymorph special ability says they keep class, level, and alignment, but no mention of (sp), (su), and (ex) abilities, except that it doesn't get those of the new form.

Inevitability
2014-12-07, 04:25 AM
PAO him into something living, then cast Eternity of Torture on him. Next, just create a Slow Time Dead Magic demiplane with Genesis, arrange for yourself to be wished out of it, drag the vampire into the demiplane, be wished out, and laugh evilly. The vampire is now being tortured for all eternity in a constant state of near-death, with the only possible chance of rescue being someone Wishing for him to return. Oh, and time is slower on that plane, as to increase the amount of pain the vampire will feel until the heat death of the multiverse.

It isn't dead, but hey, close enough.

JDL
2014-12-07, 06:12 AM
Since you specified RAW...

...grapple him.

By RAW, you cannot use a (Su) ability (such as a Vampire's Gaseous Form) when in a grapple. Of course you expose the person grappling the vampire to its Blood Drain attack, which is why a Summon Monster or Summon Nature's Ally with a big beefy grapple mod would be a good idea. And of course this assumes the DM rules the ability as RAW, not RAI.

balegar
2014-12-07, 09:41 AM
Shrink Item might have some fun possibilities. It would be overkill but sphere of ultimate destruction or black blade of disaster would be effective.

Inevitability
2014-12-07, 10:22 AM
Sphere of Annihilation will take down all vampires without at least one god on their side. Pandorym's body would even work if that were the case, I believe.

Andezzar
2014-12-07, 10:32 AM
If you are strong enough (to do at least 15 damage) use a stake to drive into its heart to paralyze it. Then cut off head with all the time in the world. They can't turn to gaseous form if staked to get away.
But I'm not sure how other catching them in their coffin how to do this.Where did you find those rules? The creature description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm) says that ramming a stake through a vampire's heart instantly slays it but does not mention any rules how to do that.

Jack_Simth
2014-12-07, 10:32 AM
Since you specified RAW...

...grapple him.

By RAW, you cannot use a (Su) ability (such as a Vampire's Gaseous Form) when in a grapple. Of course you expose the person grappling the vampire to its Blood Drain attack, which is why a Summon Monster or Summon Nature's Ally with a big beefy grapple mod would be a good idea. And of course this assumes the DM rules the ability as RAW, not RAI.

Even if it doesn't, nothing RAW causes Gaseous Form to make you escape a grapple.... so yeah, kill the vamp, grapple the gaseous cloud, and hold it in place for a while.