PDA

View Full Version : becoming a necromancer

SciChronic
2014-12-06, 03:36 PM
So i have a beguiler 8/ shadowcraft mage 3 necropolitan whispergnome lich who is very evil, and has plans to raise an undead army to do his bidding. Only issue is that creating undead isnt in his spell list, and as such i'm having trouble finding a way to do so without the use of a wand (which kind of takes away from the feel of him being a lich).

So do you guys have any ideas?

Currently i'm thinking of going into Pale Master.

Doc_Maynot
2014-12-06, 04:21 PM
Since you have Shadowcraft Mage and Necropolitan I'll assume this game is somewhat High-Op.
The simplest way for you to garner those spells is via an Archivist or Wizard Dip, adding the spell to your prayer/spell book and using Versatile Spellcaster to cast it with Beguiler Slots.

OldTrees1
2014-12-06, 04:23 PM
Why not use the alternate class feature version of Advanced Learning?

atemu1234
2014-12-06, 06:34 PM
Dominate an Evil Cleric?

LentilNinja
2014-12-06, 06:50 PM
Why not use the alternate class feature version of Advanced Learning?

I have never heard of this.

OldTrees1
2014-12-07, 02:14 AM
I have never heard of this.

Player's Handbook 2 under Warmage Alternate Class Features. There is an ACF called Ecletic Learning that replaces Advanced Learning. You can learn any spell of a lower level than Advanced Learning, but it counts as 1 level higher. So the 2nd level Animate Dead taken from the Death Master[Dragon Compendium 1] would be a 3rd level spell when taken by the 8th level Eclectic Learning.

LentilNinja
2014-12-07, 06:22 AM
Player's Handbook 2 under Warmage Alternate Class Features. There is an ACF called Ecletic Learning that replaces Advanced Learning. You can learn any spell of a lower level than Advanced Learning, but it counts as 1 level higher. So the 2nd level Animate Dead taken from the Death Master[Dragon Compendium 1] would be a 3rd level spell when taken by the 8th level Eclectic Learning.

Ohh! Right, I see it now. Yeah that'd suffice for getting the spell, but some delays may be in order.

nedz
2014-12-07, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately that ACF is for WarMage and not Beguiler.

There is the Arcane Disciple Route, though that is Wis based and only 1/day.
Suitable domains:

Death Domain (PH p186) [3rd]
Necromancy Domain (Dragonlance Campaign Setting p103) [4th]
Undead Domain (Dragon #312 p37) [3rd]
Undeath Domain (SpC p281) [3rd]