PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Pact of the chain familiar, I may have been doing this wrong!

LieblingFauk
2014-12-06, 07:20 PM
Does having an imp from my chain pact allow me to benefit from the magic resistance feature of the imp that is stated out in the monster manual?

Daishain
2014-12-06, 07:57 PM
We don't know. Or at least I haven't seen anyone pull a source clearly stating one way or the other.

It is suggested that only the people benefiting from these creatures becoming voluntary familiars get that bonus. But it doesn't make much sense for the same creature in an even stronger bond not providing the same.

Jamesps
2014-12-06, 08:42 PM
The magic resistance is listed under a "variant" in the Monster Manual, meaning its an optional rule. So just ask your DM if they're using it.

Mechaviking
2014-12-06, 08:54 PM
The Imp always has magic resistance. The rule about imps as familiars is optional, so ask your DM. :D

LieblingFauk
2014-12-06, 09:10 PM
Ok, I will talk to my DM. Thank you all.

Dalebert
2014-12-07, 11:16 PM
How do people feel about this? Do you feel it could just be a nice perk for chain locks or is it potentially unbalancing?

Daishain
2014-12-07, 11:35 PM
How do people feel about this? Do you feel it could just be a nice perk for chain locks or is it potentially unbalancing?
Frankly, without it, Pact of the chain is rather weak compared to the other options. Especially since pact of tome lets you get a familiar anyways.

MaxWilson
2014-12-07, 11:52 PM

Magic Resistance in 5E is far, far weaker than in AD&D or 3rd edition. I don't think allowing the imp to grant Magic Resistance to its master is unbalancing, because frankly, having advantage on saving throws against magic as long as you keep the terms of your contract with the imp (write down the contract) and keep your very-squishy familiar (AC 13 and 10 HP, dies to the very first Fireball or trap, probably dies to arrows even if invisible) in imp form and within 10 feet of you at all times really isn't all that powerful.

Let me put it this way: in AD&D, Mind Flayers were 90% Magic Resistant. They shrugged off Fireballs and Lightning Bolts and Prismatic Sphere. In 5E, Mind Flayers have wretched Dex saves and die easily to Fireballs. Most of the time, Magic Resistance doesn't even help them succeed on the saving throw because their Dex is so bad. And Magic Resistance is absolutely no help at all against Eldritch Blast. It's totally neutered and not unbalancing to hand out (for a price), which is why Gnomes get Magic Resistance against Int/Wis/Cha effects as part of their racial package.

From a fluff perspective however, I wouldn't allow this to anyone whose familiar was not an actual, true imp. I.e. no feylocks with MR-granting imp familiars, and maybe no Chtulhu Ftaghnlocks.

Rallicus
2014-12-08, 06:26 AM
and keep your very-squishy familiar (AC 13 and 10 HP, dies to the very first Fireball or trap, probably dies to arrows even if invisible).

Little buggers are tougher than they look. Had an NPC cast burning hands in a higher spell slot and it barely phased the quasit.

Granted I rolled 3 ones for damage... but still!

Jamesps
2014-12-08, 02:13 PM
Little buggers are tougher than they look. Had an NPC cast burning hands in a higher spell slot and it barely phased the quasit.

Granted I rolled 3 ones for damage... but still!

I used inspiring leader on mine once. With all of its resistances it was the toughest thing in the party (we were 4th level).

Remember it's immune to fire and poison, resistant to weapon damage, and has magic resistance. Those 10hp are a lot like 20, and if you can give it temp hp on top you're basically doubling its gains.

Low levels you can make your imp the party tank.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-12-08, 02:23 PM
It's worth considering that the variant familiar in the MM is a true imp, whereas the pact of the chain familiar is a fay creature changed into the form of an imp.

MaxWilson
2014-12-08, 02:36 PM
I used inspiring leader on mine once. With all of its resistances it was the toughest thing in the party (we were 4th level).

Remember it's immune to fire and poison, resistant to weapon damage, and has magic resistance. Those 10hp are a lot like 20, and if you can give it temp hp on top you're basically doubling its gains.

Low levels you can make your imp the party tank.

That is pretty hilarious. :) Inspiring Leader is great.

It's worth considering that the variant familiar in the MM is a true imp, whereas the pact of the chain familiar is a fay creature changed into the form of an imp.

Agreed. The fluff objections to this trick are actually stronger than the balance objections--e.g. a real imp wouldn't be transformable into a Sprite or a Pseudodragon merely by recasting Find Familiar, nor could you teleport it using bonus actions through a pocket dimension. Spell-granted Familiars are weird. But, I would allow a Fiend Pack warlock to use this trick because he should have access to genuine Imps. I'd tweak the fluff to make it work too (i.e. declare that it is an actual imp with type Fiend, forbid it from being resummoned as anything but an Imp).

Longcat
2014-12-08, 07:21 PM
The way I play it, is that you get to choose:
a) Standard Imp, no magic resistance
b) MM variant Imp, grants you magic resistance but comes packaged with the betrayal clause.