PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Is arcane Turmoil considered a counterspell dispel

NathanB1486
2014-12-06, 10:08 PM
Greetings playground, I have a quick question for you all, I have a player who rolled a cleric, and picked up the divine magician acf, allowing him to get some wizard spells, one of which being arcane turmoil (CM page 96), he also has divine defiance, from fiendish codex 2 (pg 83), so he can burn a turn undead to counterspell as in immediate action, as long as he has the appropriate spell prepared (proper spell, or a dispel), he has Arcane Turmoil, and is believes that since even tho dispel magic lists 3 different ways of using it (targeted, area, and counterspell) that arcane turmoil can be used with divine defiance to instantly perform a counterspell, I feel arcane turmoil would only qualify for the targeted dispel and the 3 dispel options and not the counterspell option.

The players prime argument for why he feels it would work is because the counterspell one mentions targeting a caster
"Counterspell
When dispel magic is used in this way, the spell targets a spellcaster and is cast as a counterspell."
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advanced for helping clear this up.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-07, 06:21 PM
No go. The counterspell version of dispel magic is different from the targetted version. It's as simple as that.