PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes death comes knocking. Sometimes it tears down the walls.

ZinZenWho
2014-12-06, 11:17 PM
21st of Ebonfoust (October-ish). Town square, Orcela. Southern most city of the Lixtorian Empire. Final night of the harvest festival.

"And here we are, the last night of the festival. Says Lord LeStrow, the current leader or Orcela. Standing before the massive crowd on the stage, earlier holding a large group of bards. Gathered behind him are the VIPs, a rather stern looking dwarf clad in fullplate with a sword slung at his side standing near the steps leading up to the platform. On the other side of the stage sits a equally stern looking female elf, wearing deep purple robes and a cloak. Near the front if the group is a older looking hume with long hair pulled tight into a braid, the sun disk of Pelor standing prominently in his blue and white robes. Filling out the rest if the menagerie are a small group of 5 others serving as the lords private guard.

"I won't waste all of our time with some dry, long winded speech. We're all here to see the spectacle provided be our Mages Guild. Gesturing to the elf behind him on his far left. "So, let's not waste any more time, let it begin.

And so the crowd amassed stand waiting for a few genitive minutes before the first of them sore into the sky. A massive purple fireball, launched from the south. Flies a few hundred feet into the air before bursting into a flash of multicolored flames and sparks. And so it continues for the next several minutes and different colored orbs fly into the sky to burst above the heads of the towns folk and travelers alike.

wkwkwkwk1
2014-12-07, 04:48 PM
Leaning against a wall, Telvar pulled her cloak tightly against her body, feeling the warmth of the summer fading and being replaced by the chill of the winter. It reminded her of home, but at the same time, it was so different from her homeland, back in the lush forests, where she would eat with her family around the fire in the winter. But ever since that human raiding party had... "No," she thought, shaking her head. She had promised herself not to think of it anymore and, besides, this was a special night.

She made herself comfortable and watched the flames as they burned through the dark sky.

Gwendol
2014-12-08, 02:54 AM
Looking up from his perusal of the wares in the merchant's stall, Ruthrym admires the display of magical power and creativity. Ah want ter see this! Ah'll get back ter ye later, an think of what Ah said of wantin' te ship yer goods fer better profit. the dwarf says to the merchant before muscling his way through the crowd.

Comin' through, comin' through, watch thar mornin'star, 'tis sharp!

Finally, he finds a good spot right by the wall of a house by the town square. There's a she-elf there already, but Ruthrym doesn't mind. Planting his stocky legs firmly on the ground he leans against his shield and gazes up at the sky. Pretty! he says out loud, but not really looking for a reply.

wkwkwkwk1
2014-12-08, 05:57 AM
Telvar notices a male Dwarf muscling his way through the crowd and smiled. Dwarves, as clumsy and uptight as they might be, always managed to put a smile on her face.

"Very pretty, indeed!" she said, as a turquoise fireball flourished.

Gwendol
2014-12-08, 07:37 AM
Yer here fer tha festival? Ruhtrym asks, not detracting his gaze from the splendid spectacle.

wkwkwkwk1
2014-12-08, 08:53 AM
"You guessed it," she said. "I make my living in the forest just outside the city, to the south, but the festival is just too great an occasion to pass up, don't you think?"

Before the dwarf could answer, she said, "What about you? You here for the festival, too?"

greenstave
2014-12-08, 08:59 AM
Milo walks past the two at this moment. He is in full armour, with his weapon at his side. He is on duty tonight, ensuring no one gets a little too rowdy during the final evening of the festivals fun. His unit is typically stationed at the gates to the city, but Milo used his moderate authority to have time at the festival. Though on duty, and focused, he does take a moment to enjoy the show. He nods at the two

Good evening Telvar. You decided to take a break and join us for the festival this evening?

Gwendol
2014-12-08, 09:13 AM
Aye, the dwarf nods. Though me wantin' ter be 'ere has more te do with establishin' trade an' commerce. Much good will come out o'it. The name's Ruthrym by tha way.

He pauses as the guard draws near, not for any fear or shyness, but rather because he catches a glimpse of recognition between the elf and the human, and doesn't want to get in their way.

Kish
2014-12-08, 09:14 AM
Corbin turns his gaze away from the fireworks long enough to notice what seems to be a knot of adventurers gathering on the other side of the festival. He strolls toward them, weaving his way through the crowd without slowing or bumping into anyone. "Hello," he greets them, looking across each of them quickly before his gaze finally settles on the elven woman.

Gwendol
2014-12-08, 10:12 AM
Hullo, Ruthrym replies as Corbin rests his eyes on him for a moment. He then resumes looking at the magical fireworks.

wkwkwkwk1
2014-12-08, 10:29 AM
"Hey there, Milo," Telvar says. "Stuck in duty again?" She chuckles. She sees Corbin make his way swiftly through the crowd. She nods in approval at his dexterity, though a bit far from those of the Elves.

"Greetings," she says, smiling. "I don't think I know you, do I?"

Kish
2014-12-08, 10:30 AM
"I don't believe so. My name's Corbin." Corbin smiles at the elven woman.

wkwkwkwk1
2014-12-08, 10:38 AM
"A pleasure to meet you, Corbin. And you too, Ruthrym. I'm Telvar."

Gwendol
2014-12-09, 02:11 AM
Milo, Corbin, Lady Telvar. Ruthrym greets them all in order, still leaning on his shield.

wkwkwkwk1
2014-12-09, 06:16 AM
"Always polite, never forgetting their manners. A good quality, indeed," she thought, hiding a smile.

greenstave
2014-12-09, 08:34 AM
Milo gives a smile.

Stuck? Who's stuck? Some of my men, maybe, but I am here happily. He looks at the shoulder of his armour, giving a brief polish to the town emblam on the left side. The emblam of the Lixtorian Empire on the right, he leaves alone.

He nods at the new comers, trying to recall who they were and when they entered or exited town last. Nothing comes to mind, though many adventurers come and go through Orcela and he can't know them all. These gents seem like they are only here for a good time, and perhaps to pickup a lady.

He stands aside, and looks up at the show, allowing the newcomers to chat amongst themselves.

wkwkwkwk1
2014-12-09, 02:55 PM
"Ah, I believe you, Milo, I believe you. But I wouldn't give up my life on the forest for a post in the city guard, as stable as it might be," she said, looking at the last of the fireworks fading away. She smiled. "Too many strict codes. Not that I don't value the sense of order in society, mind you."

TheFamilarRaven
2014-12-09, 05:47 PM
A tall man waded through the crowd. He payed no mind to the splendors above, but instead kept an eye out for rowdy groups. After all, if they were going to make Johan go one night without ale, he should at least get to have a good fight. The bulky half-orc took pleasure in such sport, despite being scolded for each ecounter.

Noticing Milo, the wild man strode over towards him. He broad grin across his face. "Hey, what ya got here, Milo? Some someone givin' you trouble. I gotta say, tha balls o' fire are looking nice. But I'm nearly bored to tears. Where's the action?

ZinZenWho
2014-12-09, 07:28 PM
And as the last of the blasts fade 3 more of the orbs streak skyward. Each at least twice the size of the others. As they reach the peak of there flight they remain undetonated. And so they begine to fall back down the earth.

You notice that they are not falling straight down, but drifting to the east slightly.

Soon they fall behind the rooftops. And then it happens, impact. With a blinding green and orange flash the ground shakes and you can barely make out what look like hog sized lumps of stone falling back to the ground right after the flash.

Horns blare, people scream. The town leader and his guards are nowhere to be seen and the remaining three on stage are departing at top speed.

You can just make out the outlines of the armored dwarf and the hume heading east.

The elf in purple is making her way south.

wkwkwkwk1
2014-12-10, 03:22 AM
Jumping to her feet, Telvar grabs her bow and tries to find out where are the stage members going to. "Useless," she grumbles. "Hey! Anyone seen where they went to? The elf wizard, specifically? They got some explaining to do!"

Gwendol
2014-12-10, 05:14 AM
OOC: Spot (+4) [roll0]

Gwendol
2014-12-10, 05:22 AM
Ruthrym, his eyes darting between following the streaking lights and the people around the podium, grabs his shield and draws his morningstar.

Them lights be guided! They'll be hittin'...
his warning is cut off by the sound of impact rolling across the town like thunder.

Lord LeStrow an' thar dwarf be headin' east, towards thar impact! Thar elf is due south, Ah can see her!

Ruthrym sets off after the purple-robed elf as fast as his stocky legs allow, litteraly forging a path through the crowd.

greenstave
2014-12-10, 07:57 AM
Milo looks up and watches as the fireworks float through the sky, drifting away. Then the screaming starts. In a flash he is off and running

Help get these people to safety. The Lord always has a retinue of guards protecting him. My job is these people. I need your help.

With that he rushes over to a panicked group and helps guide them away from the centre of town.

Kish
2014-12-10, 08:19 AM
"I want to find out who did this," Corbin says. "That was no accident." Like the dwarf, he starts off after the elven woman going to the south, dodging through the crowd.

wkwkwkwk1
2014-12-10, 03:00 PM
"Corbin, I trust in your speed to find the elf!" Telvar cries out to Corbin, before taking off to the east. Passing Milo, she says, "I'll be getting the Lord and the dwarf!"

Yael
2014-12-29, 05:05 AM
Leay (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18505826&postcount=150) is buying some fine meat, after a day of excercise and studying, eating wouldn't hurt, as the night progresses, everything is usual and the fireworks begin. "Pretty fireworks, as always... I love this town's festive spirit, indeed." After paying 5 SP for a serving of fine food, Leay (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18505826&postcount=150) procceds to the square.

Spot Check: [roll0]

Just when Zenitram (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18505826&postcount=150) reaches the square, searching for his comrades, Leay notices the movement of the spheres in the sky. "Eh? Why aren't those doing the same reaction as the usual fireworks?" The two blasts take place, for which the town's activity intensifies.

Second Spot Check: [roll1]

ZinZenWho
2015-01-22, 09:11 PM
Making any progress to the south is slowed as the throng of people racing away from were the guild set up there launching point. But progress is steady.

You notice a small number of city guards making there way south with you.

As you approach the staging area the crowd thins and you can make out flashes of blue and white light as your hair and armor begin to buzz with static. And as you round the last building another flash. The staging area has turned into a mages battle field, summoned creatures and flashes of energy mix, a rouge fireball flies past not ten feet from you and strikes a well. Lightning flashes and narrowly misses a group of mages.

Kish
2015-01-22, 09:21 PM
Corbin attempts to hide near the battle while attempting to figure out what the sides are.

Hide check: [roll0]

Yael
2015-01-22, 11:15 PM
HP: 11/11.
AC: 14.
Flat-Footed: 11.
Touch: 13.
Saves.
Fortitude: +1.
Reflexes: +3.
Will: +4. Level 0 (Cantrips)
[Divination] Detect Magic (Detects magic items/auras in a 60-ft. cone)
[Divination] Detect Magic (Detects magic items/auras in a 60-ft. cone)
[Evocation] Dancing Lights* (See Description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dancingLights.htm))
[Transmutation] Mending (See Description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mending.htm))
[Transmutation] Message (See Description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/message.htm))
Level 1st.
[Abjuration] Shield (2 minute +4 Shield Bonus to AC)
[Conjuration] Grease (2 rounds, 10 ft. square, DC 16 Reflex or fall)
[Conjuration] Mage Armor (2 hours, +4 Armor Bonus to AC)
[Evocation] Burning Hands (15-ft. Cone, 2d4 [Fire] damage, DC 16 Reflex half)
[Evocation] Magic Missile* (1 missile, 1d4+1 [Force] damage)

* Specialization slot.

"Wha-?" Leay was about to ask himself the obvious, but the battle took place. "Holy arcana!*" The elf takes a step back and tries to locate his comrades inside the circus. "What a good time for studying by myself...!"
Spot Check: [roll0]
Spellcraft Check to identify spells being cast: [roll1]
Results in order: 32, 17, 21, 14, and 18.

wkwkwkwk1
2015-01-23, 02:42 AM
"What in the forest spirits..."

[roll0]

ZinZenWho
2015-01-26, 08:33 PM
Making any headway in the crowd is slow but steady. You can see smoke rising from the wall. You can rarely make out the white and blue robes of the priest your following.

Above the din of the people you can hear something similar to the wind, but somewhat deeper in pitch

As the crowd thins you can make out an eerie multicoloured glow as you draw closer to the impact site. The closer you get the thinner the crowd becomes and the more destruction you can see in the surrounding building, in one a chemin has collapsed, boulder sized rocks and masonry litter the streets and alleyways.

Finally coming to the end of one and turning to the next it opens up to a large clearing near the wall, or it would be if a 50 foot chasm hadn't been blow into it, multicoloured flames, a remnant of that happened burn everywhere.

The Dwarf clad in armor that you followed here is barking command's to the assembled guards. The priest is off to the right, healing the surviving people who where caught in the blast. Bodies lay in piles, being arranged by some of the guards, the others are fighting the flames, but making little headway against the magical flames.

You can make out something moving just past the wall, but outside the light range provided by the backlash from the bombs.

You can just make out bin points of light in the gloom, a few at first, then you notice more and more, always in pairs.

wkwkwkwk1
2015-01-28, 02:34 PM
Spot:[roll0]
Listen:[roll1]

wkwkwkwk1
2015-01-28, 03:06 PM
"Solonor help us..."

Though uneasy in the city, her sharp senses quickly pick up the strange sound. When she spots the glowing spots, she draws her bow, and notches an arrow. She looks around to see what everyone else is doing

Gwendol
2015-02-01, 05:52 PM
Ruthrym charges after the robed elf that he was able to spot through the crowd.

ZinZenWho
2015-03-26, 01:11 AM
Spell craft check results.
Resilient sphere. Unknown. Fireball. Summon monster 2. Unknown.

Not long after you arrive the town guard that was heading south with you arrives and instantly tries to assess the situation. With little luck in doing so. And with that the group of guards, numbering just over a half dozen or so fall back in their primary role. Protect the people, and try to seal off the area as best they can and keep the battle from spreading onto the open streets, and the staging area was off limits for the hour before the start of the fireworks.

Once again you hear the unearthly howl. And then the first of them shamble unto the light enough for you to see it. A skeleton of what looks like a horse, and soon fallowed by other skeletons of various humanoids and zombies of every description.each pare of lights must be more of them, and their are at least 30 pairs that you can make out.

Gwendol
2015-03-26, 05:37 AM
1d20+4

Arriving at the scene of the battle Ruthrym attempts to single out friend from foe, and to spot where the elven wizard he was chasing went.

wkwkwkwk1
2015-03-26, 05:55 AM
Knowing her bow would be useless against the creatures, Telvar looks around for help

Are there guards around? Because Telvar most certainly can't take them all alone :smalleek:

wkwkwkwk1
2015-03-26, 01:22 PM
Drawing her longsword and holding it with both hands, Telvar readies herself to fight.

Initiative: [roll0]

ZinZenWho
2015-03-26, 03:27 PM
I'm just going to call the group by the mages Battle ground group A.

And as your alone I'll just call your "situation" Telvar.

As the guard keep watch for civilians a small group of humanoids in robes of different shades of light purple and lavender come charging in from an alleyway to your right, 30ft behind the guards attempted blockade. They seem to pause for a breed second and then sprint further into the fray. It is as they near her that you finally make out the outline of the elf in violet from the stage.

Off on the other side of the field, gathered behind that appear to be 5ft tall caldrons are a group of mages slightly blackened by soot or dirt.

The Dwarf in armor seems to since something and turns to face the wall. Sporting the veritable hord of undead and pulls a horn from his belt and sound 4 short blasts and one longer note before dropping it and pulling a maul from his belt and stands ready. A few seconds later the town guard assembled their hurry and they to clear the last of the wounded clear.

Gwendol
2015-03-26, 09:57 PM
Thar be the elven mage! Ah reckon' she be causin this. Let's help them guards! Ruthrym calls out to the others. He then moves to intercept, pausing only to share a blessing of the dwarves. Stand fast and keep yer heads about yer, an' we'll live ter see thar day!

Cast bless, attempting to catch both the guards and my allies in the area of effect.

Kish
2015-03-29, 12:42 PM
If anyone alive is obviously hostile to the guards or supporting the undead, Corbin will maneuver behind them with his rapier drawn, trying to avoid notice.

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]