PDA

View Full Version : Two phrases I can't find a definition for

Tiiba
2014-12-06, 11:19 PM
1) From Starcraft: a frog's butt in a watermelon seed fight. Wuh?

B: Scar's song from Lion King. What does it mean to square injustice? Can you root injustice?

Jak
2014-12-06, 11:30 PM
"I know it sounds sordid,
But you'll be rewarded,
When at last, I am given my dues.
And injustice deliciously squared,
Be prepared!"

Have you ever heard the phrase, "are we square?"
It's kind of like that, "square" meaning "even" or "fair."

The injustice was to be squared, or righted, or evened out.

Scar thought that him not being king was an injustice, and so thought to "right" that injustice.

No idea about the first one though.

Tiiba
2014-12-06, 11:41 PM
Ooooh. All this time, I thought he wants to CREATE injustice. To dole it out or something. Because he's evil.

golentan
2014-12-06, 11:48 PM
For the first one, you're leaving out the first part. "I'm stuck in here tighter than."

It's basically a folksier version of various clenching jokes. "When the boss comes around I clench up tighter than [insert your own off color take here]." There's no other context. I mean, a watermelon seed fight is when you spit watermelon seeds at each other, but it's kind of peripheral.

Jak
2014-12-06, 11:53 PM
Well that was fun. I might use that watermelon seed fight phrase in the future, it's kind of fun to say.

Tiiba
2014-12-07, 12:38 AM
For the first one, you're leaving out the first part. "I'm stuck in here tighter than."

It's basically a folksier version of various clenching jokes. "When the boss comes around I clench up tighter than [insert your own off color take here]." There's no other context. I mean, a watermelon seed fight is when you spit watermelon seeds at each other, but it's kind of peripheral.

So, are you saying it doesn't mean anything? That's a bit unsatisfying.

Anarion
2014-12-07, 12:41 AM

No it has meaning. It lends weight to the phrase by using a colorful image. Presumably a frog would not enjoy a watermelon seed up its butt, so that image is supposed to make you think of something really tight.

golentan
2014-12-07, 12:57 AM

Imagine how tight a frog's backside may be normally. Now imagine it clamping down enough to launch a watermelon seed.

I'm trying to explain without crossing a board censorship line here!

SiuiS
2014-12-07, 02:13 AM
Ooooh. All this time, I thought he wants to CREATE injustice. To dole it out or something. Because he's evil.

Squaring it is setting it up so it executes itself, really. It's a very colloquial expresion, and you won't get a good single definition; each one will leave out others that are vital to it's living context.

Imagine how tight a frog's backside may be normally. Now imagine it clamping down enough to launch a watermelon seed.

I'm trying to explain without crossing a board censorship line here!

Like squeezing a been so hard it shoots out of it's skin.

Tiiba
2014-12-07, 01:22 PM
Well, that's not a frog's butt stuck in a watermrlon seed fight, that's a watermelon seed stuck in a frog's butt during a fight.

SiuiS
2014-12-07, 01:23 PM
Well, that's not a frog's butt stuck in a watermrlon seed fight, that's a watermelon seed stuck in a frog's butt during a fight.

"Tight as a frog's butt in a watermelon seed fight". "As right as a very small and very right sphincter in a fight where having the smallest and tightest causes the greatest acceleration of seeds".

Tiiba
2014-12-07, 01:53 PM
Well, maybe. Weird way to say it.

SiuiS
2014-12-07, 02:07 PM
Well, maybe. Weird way to say it.

I agree, it's a little ridiculous, but it's not indecipherable to me, so I would pass that on. It's a rationalization but I presume that's the point.