PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Polymorph, Polymorph Any Object, and Dual Nature [3.5]

Duke of Urrel
2014-12-07, 12:02 AM
I know that most Playgrounders regard Skip Williams's interpretation of the rules in the series Rules of the Game with suspicion.

However, I wonder if any Playgrounders agree with Williams to empower the Polymorph spell and the Polymorph Any Object spell as follows.

1. In the 2004 (May 25) article "Polymorphing (Part Three)," Williams gave the Polymorph spell the power to change the subject into a creature of the Elemental or Outsider type. I know that this deviates from the RAW. But does anybody believe it is a good idea?

2. In the 2004 (June 1) article "Polymorphing (Part Four)," Williams gave the Polymorph Any Object spell the power to change the subject into a creature of the Construct or Undead type. I suspect that this probably deviates from the RAW, too. But does anybody believe it is a good idea?

3. I have another question related to the article "Polymorphing (Part Three)." Williams wrote that when a polymorphed creature gains the Native subtype, it also gains a dual nature and with it the ability to be reincarnated, raised, or resurrected like most other living creatures, "not that you're likely to need it."

I am aware of the rule of the Polymorph subschool that "If the subject of a polymorph spell is slain or rendered unconscious, the spell ends" (Player's Handbook v. 3.5 (2008), page 320). So I wonder: Is there any reason why it would be useful in any way to gain a dual nature from a Polymorph spell?