PDA

View Full Version : DM Help LA For the Modrons (Web Enhancement)

supersonic29
2014-12-07, 12:29 AM
Here is the web enhancement modrons were in for 3.X for those who haven't seen it (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20010921a)

I've always been very shaky when trying to make good calls on assigning level adjustments to races that aren't kind enough to offer them. A player under me wanted to be one of these guys, which having the appreciation for planescape I do, I am all for. If anyone can offer the answer or formula I need to help him out it would be much appreciated :smallsmile:

LOTRfan
2014-12-07, 01:58 AM
Out of curiosity, how attached are you to the stats of the Modrons from that supplement? I ask because there was actually an Exiled Modron race (based off of the Quadrone, I believe) that was published a bit later, in Dragon Magazine 354. It's a Living Construct rather than an Outsider, mind you, but it has a few elemental resistances, no racial Hit Dice, and a Level Adjustment of +1

supersonic29
2014-12-07, 02:06 AM
I am aware of the dragon magazine issue, however opening any campaign to dragon magazine is always spooky. I'll have to take a look at the stats and see what the differences are. Are they the only one of the modrons given a LA in there?

WhamBamSam
2014-12-07, 02:17 AM
The Fiend Folio has Mechanatrixes, which are Planetouched descendants of Moldrons. If you have a player who's looking to play a Moldron, a Mechanatrix or Lesser Mechanatrix might be a good fit.

LOTRfan
2014-12-07, 02:26 AM
I forgot about the Mechanatrixes; those could be cool, too.

I'm looking at Dragon again, and I've made a slight mistake; it seems Rogue Modrons and Exiled Modrons are considered two different things. Exiled Modrons do not come from a specific caste, and seem to be their own independent things. There's no artwork for them, so I don't know which caste they most closely resemble (but they have vestigial wings). There's a uniform set of stats for all exiled Modrons.

dysprosium
2014-12-08, 10:45 AM
Near the end of that article is the listing for the level adjustments for the modrons described in the article.

Combined with the racial Hit Dice of the modrons in question, the ECL starts to add up quickly.