PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords: Lost a Player Advice

Milo v3
2014-12-07, 12:57 AM
My group was just about to start the Rise of the Runelords adventure path but one of the players has now dropped leaving my group with two constant players and one player who comes half the time, with the remaining characters being:

Tielfing Titan Mauler Barbarian
Human Paladin
Human Bloodrager (The character of the player who is around half the time).

Based on this... I'm guessing I should suggest that they change their characters to cover the holes or something... But I'm not really sure what I should suggest. Also any idea how I'll need to modify the adventure paths challenges, especially since it was designed for 4-5 players.

Tommy_Dude
2014-12-07, 12:00 PM
With a heavy damage dealing party you might be fine. As far as only three players, I've done this before. Just start them at 20 point build instead of 15 (all Adventure Paths assume 15 point build and non-optimized choices in creation. Look at the free iconics download for proof.) And for the player that only comes half the time, then only run half the game. Or run two games side by side. Perhaps a little home game with your two regular players. My own campaigns are roughly bi-weekly.

CGNefarious
2014-12-07, 02:11 PM
How optimized do your players make their characters? I'm currently running Rise of the Runelords with four people, two of them fairly new and none of them optimizers, and while it can be pretty rough for them at times it is mostly doable. If you were to take away one of the players it would become very challenging. If your players are optimizers (or even remotely so) this probably wouldn't be a problem and actually might make the game more fun to them. If not you might want to recommend they bring backup characters to every session.

With only two players I think you will need to adjust the difficulty of the encounters. Even strong characters are going to lose when they have half the action economy that they should. I'd say three to five players is the range you should shoot for, but that's more my opinion than anything else.

The first could of encounters are relatively easy, as most adventure paths start out with light encounters. You could test your group against these first encounters to see how they fair. If they blow through them then they are probably fine to do the adventure path. If they struggle it is only going to get much worse as the story progresses.

Snowbluff
2014-12-07, 02:50 PM
You can skype in a ne-
"Australia"
Um...

Milo v3
2014-12-07, 06:43 PM
With a heavy damage dealing party you might be fine. As far as only three players, I've done this before. Just start them at 20 point build instead of 15 (all Adventure Paths assume 15 point build and non-optimized choices in creation. Look at the free iconics download for proof.) And for the player that only comes half the time, then only run half the game. Or run two games side by side. Perhaps a little home game with your two regular players. My own campaigns are roughly bi-weekly.

I read from one of the devs, that 20 point purchase should be the default so I was using that. Though running two games is too much, the reason I was doing an AP was because I didn't have time to write up adventures lately.

How optimized do your players make their characters? I'm currently running Rise of the Runelords with four people, two of them fairly new and none of them optimizers, and while it can be pretty rough for them at times it is mostly doable. If you were to take away one of the players it would become very challenging. If your players are optimizers (or even remotely so) this probably wouldn't be a problem and actually might make the game more fun to them. If not you might want to recommend they bring backup characters to every session.

With only two players I think you will need to adjust the difficulty of the encounters. Even strong characters are going to lose when they have half the action economy that they should. I'd say three to five players is the range you should shoot for, but that's more my opinion than anything else.

The first could of encounters are relatively easy, as most adventure paths start out with light encounters. You could test your group against these first encounters to see how they fair. If they blow through them then they are probably fine to do the adventure path. If they struggle it is only going to get much worse as the story progresses.

They are not optimised at all, with this being the first 3.P game for all but one (and his old GM's game was severely houseruled).

You can skype in a ne-
"Australia"
Um...

I don't really understand this but, skype isn't an option in this case.

deuxhero
2014-12-07, 07:07 PM
Earlier APs used 15 point buy as the expectation and latter ones use 20. The aniversary/PF version of RotR was made after the transition to 20 PB (I'm not sure exactly which one was the first. I think it was Skulls and Shackles)

Gestalt is the classic answer to small parties, but it requires all PCs have at least a basic understanding of character building (and particularly tricky for a Barbarian as rage greatly limits gestalting options).

Milo v3
2014-12-07, 07:19 PM
Gestalt is the classic answer to small parties, but it requires all PCs have at least a basic understanding of character building (and particularly tricky for a Barbarian as rage greatly limits gestalting options).

It's their first time making their characters basically, so I was hesitant to suggest gestalt.

CGNefarious
2014-12-07, 08:07 PM
If they're new they will probably not fare well against the challenges as written in a small group. If possible I'd recommend getting a fourth player. Three with Gestalt is an option, though it will still be rough for them. If you have the time to alter all the encounters yourself you could lower all the encounter CRs by one or two. Or you could try having them be a level above where the book says they should be, but I'm honestly not sure how that will work out.

deuxhero
2014-12-07, 10:13 PM
One other thing I should note: While I haven't done RotR, I've heard a lot in passing about some early encounters that had a high chance of TPK

With an inexperienced group, those should get attention regardless of what you do (I'm sure someone knows what they are).

ghanjrho
2014-12-07, 10:40 PM
One other thing I should note: While I haven't done RotR, I've heard a lot in passing about some early encounters that had a high chance of TPK

With an inexperienced group, those should get attention regardless of what you do (I'm sure someone knows what they are).

Any ones you can name off the top of your head? When I ran it, nothing seemed TPK-worthy. Unless it's Oathday on Thistletop.

deuxhero
2014-12-08, 12:12 AM
I recall something about an imp in the glass works but people who actually know the AP will know better.

animewatcha
2014-12-08, 02:02 AM
What about letting them start with 18s in all stats before racials, etc.

Milo v3
2014-12-08, 02:22 AM
What about letting them start with 18s in all stats before racials, etc.

... that would be 102 point buy :smalleek:

animewatcha
2014-12-08, 02:24 AM
And don't adventure paths and what not assume 4-5 players that cover the iconics? ( fighter, rogue, cleric, blasting wizard )? You are working with 2.5 players here.