PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Would this upbringing result in a wizard or sorcerer?

RoboEmperor
2014-12-07, 07:33 AM
Would a poor ordinary orphan boy/girl who spent his/her life hunting down and observing anything magical in his/her surrounding more likely to end up a sorcerer or wizard?

This is d&d 3.5 not pathfinder. Lets consider an ordinary orphan. An incredibly poor ordinary orphan, who is physically inept. Maybe that's why he/she is fascinated by magic. Whether he/she is in an orphanage or on the street is not yet determined, but this person is crazy for all things magical. If there's a circus in town, he/she will attend in hopes of seeing some magical act. Rumors of something haunted or weird? He/she will mount a full investigation. In his/her spare time, he/she will browse the various shops, studying the weird fey creatures in a bottle, or the assortment of magical potions and equipment.

The question becomes obvious if he/she finds a textbook on magic. Then he/she will study that textbook his/her entire life and become a wizard. So lets say for this case, this orphan is in some rural village where there is no magic shop. Any magical equipment is observed occasionally by the occasional traveling merchant or adventurer. He/she would stare at their +1 dagger until the merchant/adventurer left.

The question also becomes very simple if the orphan has magical blood. Exposure to magical items made him/her connected with his/her inner self, and voila sorcerer, so for the purpose of this thread, the orphan has no magical lineage whatsoever. If you're the person who absolutely believes sorcerers need magical blood, just think this orphan has trace amounts of the blood and whether or not this upbringing will more likely result in his/her awakening or wizard stuff.

My Analysis
For the sorcerer argument, you could say after being exposed to so many minor magical things, the orphan gains an intuitive understanding of magic and becomes a sorcerer. If I may make an analogy, he/she would be a kid who is fascinated by music, got his/her hands on a harmonica, and learned how to play just by experimenting and copying random tunes he/she hears on TV or in convenience stores, without ever learning how to read sheet music, especially because there isn't anyone in the village who can read sheet music.

For the wizard argument, you could say after studying so many minor magical things, the orphan developed his own rudimentary theories on magic, and began experimenting like crazy and became a wizard by himself.

Wizard counter argument is, magical theory is insanely complex and requires years of training under a qualified wizard to simply cast a cantrip (elves go through 100years of wizard academy for level 1 spells!), and any magical ability gained through comparatively simple experimentation/study is a sorcerer because he/she understands it intuitively rather than through complete theory. Counter argument to that is, simple experimentation is still studying not innate, and it would just mean he/she is a genius.

The above harmonica example changed to fit the wizard would be: he/she invents his own sheet music and through rigorous study and experimentation, invents his/her own music theory about scales, chords, etc. and whenever he/she hears a random tune on TV or in a convenience store, he/she would try to find out what key the song is in, what chord progression, and recreate the songs by knowing which notes sound good together and which doesn't, unlike sorcerers who just say "this sounds right". If this sounds too complex for someone to figure out without ever reading a book on music theory, then it'd probably too complex for an orphan to learn magic just by random experimentation on what little magical stuff he/she can find.

So... which is it in your opinion? Would you go as far as saying the orphan fails at both being a sorcerer and a wizard and ends up a wannabe human? Lets just say with 18int or 18cha, that won't happen.

This is a fact: This character gains the ability to cast spells at age 16, after spending his/her entire life observing magical stuff. Would you say this ability to cast spells is based on study and theory or just natural talent? The orphan just "gets/understands" magic and can use it but can't write a paper on it, or the orphan completely understands magic and can write a paper on it.

So in other words, immense fascination + observing/studying/obsessing about random magical stuff + very little received education = complete theoretical understanding or inexplicable innate understanding?

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-07, 07:52 AM
Could make them a Wizard with one of the alternate spellbooks. Possibly Eidetic Wizard (Dragon 357, p. 89, commits spells to memory rather than having a book) or the item "spellbooks" from Complete Arcane (e.g. carve runes into a staff in particular arrangements to encode spells for later preparation).

With a box
2014-12-07, 07:56 AM
I think she had good chance to become a godless archivist.
about half of spellcasters are divine one, aren't they?
and adepts are easier to find in small town.
maybe wizard/archivist Mystic Theurge?

RoboEmperor
2014-12-07, 08:37 AM
I think she had good chance to become a godless archivist.
about half of spellcasters are divine one, aren't they?
and adepts are easier to find in small town.
maybe wizard/archivist Mystic Theurge?

Sorry, HAS to be wizard or sorcerer :P. I need to decide whether this background would go to my sorcerer or to my wizard.

Could make them a Wizard with one of the alternate spellbooks. Possibly Eidetic Wizard (Dragon 357, p. 89, commits spells to memory rather than having a book) or the item "spellbooks" from Complete Arcane (e.g. carve runes into a staff in particular arrangements to encode spells for later preparation).

The orphan can have alternate spellbooks like you mentioned, IF they become wizards. That's the question of this thread. Would such a person be better suited to be a sorcerer or wizard?

Strigon
2014-12-07, 10:06 AM
Wizard.
Wizards are the ones who study and practice magic for its own sake, and for the sake of knowledge. Sorcerers tend to be more "Hey, look what I can do!"

Urpriest
2014-12-07, 10:28 AM
If those are really the only choices, I'd probably go with Wizard. But that backstory screams Spellthief.

PsyBomb
2014-12-07, 10:41 AM
I think the backstory could go either way, so I will pose a tangential question to pull an answer. That is, how did the child survive being a penniless orphan without much physical aptitude?

An up-and-coming Wizard would be the one who learned early which people want what, and where to find it that the grown-ups don't know about. Maybe he figured out about a stretch of dirt road that bounces carts regularly, and the tall grass nearby it would always have a list bauble or two for him to trade.

A future Sorceror would be the classic beggar, convincing people to give him food or shelter. This one would have gotten into the circus with a simple "Please, sir?" To the guard and a pathetic look. The baker would routinely "lose" a loaf of bread to give to him.

RoboEmperor
2014-12-07, 10:48 AM
I think the backstory could go either way, so I will pose a tangential question to pull an answer. That is, how did the child survive being a penniless orphan without much physical aptitude?

I haven't decided yet, but if the orphan lives in an orphanage then surviving shouldn't be a problem, so he/she spends his/her time hunting magic stuff.

If he/she is not in an orphanage, then what you're saying is probably accurate. Sorcerer would use charms to survive, where as a wizard would use wits.

Details like that however, are decided after I choose to give this background to a wizard or sorcerer :P

So I got 2 wizard votes, and 0 sorcerer.

So people think studying random magical stuff results in a theoretical understanding over some sort of inexplicable innate understanding. Interesting....

Let me try to reduce the wall of text I've made XD

Elric VIII
2014-12-07, 12:26 PM
This was pretty close to the background of my Eidetic Caster Spellthief/Wizard/Unseen Seer with Master Spellthief.

He was a sneaky wizard that jacks other wizards' spell by shanking them.