PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Modules for Noobs?

Chester
2014-12-07, 08:40 AM
Hello Playground!

I'm starting another 3.5 group for some friends who are new to the game (the last time they played was 2nd edition).

Can you recommend any modules for level 1? DMing two campaigns at once is time consuming. Sure, I could do the standard "orcs/goblins/gnolls/bandits/skeletons are harassing travelers" mission, but I'd like to see what else is out there.

Uncle Pine
2014-12-07, 08:52 AM
The Sunless Citadel is the 1st adventure I've ever played when I was introduced to d&d and I really recommend it.

EDIT: Moreover it has kobolds in it. :smallwink:

Blackhawk748
2014-12-07, 10:33 AM
The Sunless Citadel is the 1st adventure I've ever played when I was introduced to d&d and I really recommend it.

Seconding, though youll need change a few things in it, mostly involving goblins. Youll know it when you see it.

If they like a more investigative game, try the Fright at Tristor, theres some investigation, some fighting, some tracking. Good stuff.

nyjastul69
2014-12-07, 10:37 AM
Are you open to 3rd party sources?

Chester
2014-12-07, 06:14 PM

Yeah, someone I spoke to today also mentioned it. I'll take a look at that.

Seconding, though youll need change a few things in it, mostly involving goblins. Youll know it when you see it.

If they like a more investigative game, try the Fright at Tristor, theres some investigation, some fighting, some tracking. Good stuff.

I'll take a look, thanks!

Are you open to 3rd party sources?

Sure, I'm open to not spending too much time prepping.

crankykobold
2014-12-08, 11:56 AM
Having played 2nd ed in my youth, I think your players would enjoy dungeon crawl classics by goodman games.

edit: also, second on Sunless Citadel, followed by Forge of Fury

GreatDane
2014-12-08, 12:30 PM
For my first time DMing in 3.5, I ran a brief WoTC module called "A Dark and Stormy Knight." You should be able to dig it up on Google. It hits most of the basics for beginners - a small mob, a creature with debilitating abilities, a handful of traps, and a big, scary boss. It also has a built-in reason for the party to come together. I recommend it.

Blackhawk748
2014-12-08, 02:33 PM
For my first time DMing in 3.5, I ran a brief WoTC module called "A Dark and Stormy Knight." You should be able to dig it up on Google. It hits most of the basics for beginners - a small mob, a creature with debilitating abilities, a handful of traps, and a big, scary boss. It also has a built-in reason for the party to come together. I recommend it.

Ran it, its a nice little quest. Its short but its fun. Also you can still run Sunless Citadel after, they would just start it at level 2.

Also seconding Forge of Fury as a follow up. Its a solid well written module.

crankykobold
2014-12-08, 02:44 PM
Only thing I've ever found to complain about is why they felt the need to include the roper. At those levels and with new players, especially people coming from 2nd edition, it's a sure fire death trap. In 2nd edition PC's were gods in comparison to creatures.

Fouredged Sword
2014-12-08, 02:46 PM
The WoTC archives should have a short Calzone golem adventure that is great for teaching the basics of the rules before you launch into a real game.

Darkweave31
2014-12-08, 02:58 PM
Tucker's Kobolds

incarnate236
2014-12-08, 03:44 PM
Queen with the Burning Eyes and Forgotten Forge in the Eberron setting are good and easy startups for a low level group.

Aegis013
2014-12-08, 03:55 PM
The WoTC archives should have a short Calzone golem adventure that is great for teaching the basics of the rules before you launch into a real game.

Title for this one is "Something's Cooking", it's a level 2 module, but it's quite fun. Rather memorable fighting a golem made of raging animate food.

Fooliscious
2014-12-08, 05:48 PM
Expedition to Undermountain! Starts at level 1 and can run to level 10! Was the first one I ever ran and enjoyed it thoroughly. Lots of maps to play with, scenarios and plenty of free space to wander off into and get into trouble. There are also quite a few plot hooks to get you guys together.

It also touches on a good deal of interesting forgotten realms lore locations. Skullport, The temple of of Elistrae'e, Waterdeep, that Sea that's in the Underdark etc etc. Two of the chosen of Mystra are involved in the story along with a surprise appearance by the drow.

Within the Undermountain itself wizards are limited in the shenanigans they can commit as well, which is always good for noobies.

Faily
2014-12-08, 06:11 PM
I second Sunless Citadel if you want to run something short-ish. It's a fairly decent module, that provides challenge to new and seasoned players alike, and customizable enough to fit whatever setting you want to use.

If you want something big that will go from level 1 and up, I really recommend published campaigns like War of the Burning Sky (go from level 1-16[or 20 if you want to go all the way]), and Shackled City (also goes from 1 to 20).

Red Hand of Doom is also a very popular and well-written module, but it expects the players to be around level 6 at starting, so it might be something to do later after Sunless Citadel?

GunbladeKnight
2014-12-28, 11:48 PM

I enjoy this one quite well, and you can even have a custom campaign run from there.

@Faily: Love that avatar. It's my favorite skin in the game so far.

Seruvius
2014-12-29, 12:44 AM
Another vote for sunless citadel. Twas my first dnd module that introduced be to this beautiful game, good memories of the whole party trying to grapple the baby dragon and getting scratched half to death by AoO while slipping on ice.

A good one-shot to start it off I can recommend that I just ran a few days ago with some new players is Tinderbox, a 1shot adventure for 4 st level playrs. very Roleplay/skillcheck/solve mysery heavy with only 1 probable fight that might not happen at all. Has a cool gimmik in that theres a set background time for when events happen, could easily be adapted so that its the town near the citadel that is in danger.