PDA

View Full Version : Alerian Chronicles: Illumination (Trying this again)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Rejakor
2007-10-04, 08:03 AM
Cann of the Mist

Cann grins, closes the door, and comes down a few minutes later wearing his armour. He appears happy, the only tme his smile had quirked was when walker referred to his ass as 'scrawny'. He sits down at the breakfast table almost obnoxiously happy, and consumes a large quantity of whatever the inn has to offer. He gives a smile and a nod, or a wink and a bow, to all he meets on his way, and once done with his breakfast leaves a hearty tip and steps out to the yard, and whistles up Cloudfoot from the celestial realms. "Are you all ready then?" He asks, raising his eyebrows and casting his eyes across the two others.

Alicorn
2007-10-04, 08:10 AM
Persis

The halfling also has a - relatively - large breakfast, and then heads out to saddle up Dorje, surreptitiously checking on her rat collection while she's unsupervised and then putting them away and riding out to the front of the inn. "I'm all set!" she announces.

LightBringer
2007-10-04, 08:34 AM
Walker sits at the table and enjoys watching his companions fill themselves. He talks with the barmaids and responds to any conversation. When breakfast is done he'll wait on the porch while Cann summons his mount and Persis readies her pony.

In response to Cann's inquiry Walker looks down at his brown and green clad body and responds, As always.

(Changing colors)

Cyrus112
2007-10-05, 10:32 PM
You all set out early the next "morning" after breakfast. Persis, your stone rat is still stone, the dead rat is still dead and the live rat is still alive. The next two days go by fine and then on the second night...

((Figure out watches and then have the person on second watch make a spot check)).

Rejakor
2007-10-06, 03:42 AM
Cann of the Mist

As the first night approaches, and a suitable campsite has been selected:

Cann sits by the fire, a stew bubbling in a pot over the open flame. He stirs it slowly, and then announces "Seems to be done." Ladling from the little pot, half into a small bowl, half into a larger bowl, he takes a wrapped package, a short loaf, and rips it into two pieces, again with the same kind of ratio. "Dinner's ready!" He calls out to Persis.

Alicorn
2007-10-06, 08:58 AM
Persis

"Gonna take a wild guess here, gotta keep my psychic seer powers in shape," says Persis. "Iiiiiit's stew and bread. How exciting! I really wish I knew how to cook." She takes her bowl and her bread and sets to eating them. "So, how much sleep do you need? I'm gonna guess that our tall dark 'n bloodthirsty friend doesn't need any so he could keep watch all night but since you don't have a history of liking efficient solutions as far as he's concerned have you got an alternate plan that lets me get eight consecutive hours of shuteye?"

LightBringer
2007-10-08, 09:05 AM
Walker walks up and smiles at Persis, Isn't that supposed to be handsome? he says jokingly. Then leaning against a nearby tree, I can make due with about 4 hours of sleep every now and again. Other than that I'd be happy to keep watch.

Rejakor
2007-10-09, 12:55 AM
Cann of the Mist

Cann dips the heel end of the bread into the stew, and thoughtfully munches on it. He raises an eyebrow in Walker's direction as he mentions shuteye. "I was under the impression that your kind didn't sleep." He says, leaning slightly to the left and watching Walker slightly worriedly. "You getting sick or something?" He says, seriously, worriedly, and then his face goes blank for a few seconds before he cracks up, falling over backwards off the log he was sitting on, nearly toppling the stew from it's precarious perch, finding this far too funny. Cloudfoot looks at him disapprovingly. After a short period of giggling, he finally gets back up, and looks around at the group. "What? Didn't you get it? He's a vampire. It's hilarious." Cann chuckles a few more times, and then shaking his head at the lack of sense of humour in the people around him, goes back to eating his stew. "Cloudfoot can take the first watch - I'll take the second."

[roll0] - Do vampires sleep. I mean seriously.

[roll1] - Profession: Cook check to see how gud da food iz.

To clarify - when he says Cloudfoot will take the first watch, he means a four hour watch where he will grab some sleep. Then he will take a 6 hour watch so Cloudfoot can go to the celestial realms and get some sleep and r&r there. This is how they do it when they travel (which Cann does a lot, being a Sentinel of the Arcanix). Cann tends to doze in the saddle.

EDIT: Cann is going to shoot another Detect Evil off at Walker - seriously, how evil is Walker? You said soul-numbing bone-chilling horror-evil before, but the way he is acting, he isn't that evil. Unless he is keeping up a carefully nurtured masquerade (Which, I do believe, would require some Bluff checks opposed by my Sense Motive checks) for the sole purpose of fooling those around him. Currently, his actions label him as True or Lawful Neutral. If he serves an evil purpose and has no compunction about doing evil actions for that purpose (god, cause, vendetta, etc) then he would be bumped down to Neutral Evil, because his past evil actions and evil intentions would be staining his mostly neutralness.

Of course, we could just be running into the old 'All vampires are evil' clause in the monster manual (put there, I suspect, to stop the gothshakes of the world becoming dhampirs or 'good vampires' endlessly and tragically fighting the blah of their blah etc blah). Personally, I think that 'all vampires are evil' clause is stupid. I wouldn't allow someone to play a as undernourished character as the ol' 'vampire turned good' without a twist or unless they would actually play it properly instead of being melodracrapic at every turn. But that doesn't mean all vampires are evil. I'd say they start off neutral, mostly, or whatever alignment they were, but the exigencies of their lives as vampires mean they usually either perish or turn evil after a couple hundred years.

So, basically what i'm saying is i'd like to either actually hear a more fitting alignment from my detect evil (love that class ability, bythe****ingway) or have to start making sense motive checks. Cause the way you're playing him now ain't evil. So either he's evil pretending to be neutral (ala bluff checks) or he's neutral/not super evil just regular size evil.

Cyrus112
2007-10-09, 07:33 AM
((I do tend to operate under the evil clause, however, Walker can (and may have) chosen a different alignment, which is fine.))

((Also, I think vampires need some form of rest every now and again, although I'm not sure on that one.))

LightBringer
2007-10-09, 08:58 AM
Walker actually smiles at Cann's joke and outburst.

Then replies, No, I'm fine. I had a cold once, but that was a long time ago. It's up to you if you want to give up the opportunity to grab some shut-eye.

(Several notes;
Walker is not riding on this trip. He runs/jogs along side the group weaving in and out of the trees.

When it is required for Walker to sleep he will do so when Cloudfoot is on watch, and as always he sleeps in the trees.

Other than that Walker is up and either walking a perimeter around camp or perched up in a tree watching over the camp.)

Alicorn
2007-10-09, 09:00 AM
Persis

"Cloudfoot? Cloudfoot's a horse," objects Persis. "Maybe the smartest horse in the world, but until he learns to talk so he can say such helpful things as "hey you lot there's a mess of kobolds north-northeast" or "'scuse me sorry to wake you but we have company in the form of some flesh-eating wolverines who are glowing orange for some reason oh dear" I don't think that will do. Walker has got the advantage here."

Rejakor
2007-10-09, 09:38 AM
Cann of the Mist

Cann sends a withering look in Persis' direction as he mops up the last of the stew with his bread. Taking a scholarly air, and waving the bread around to punctuate his points, he elucidates. "Discounting the fact that Cloudfoot is a her, the differences between Cloudfoot and a normal horse should be extremely apparent. Cloudfoot is what many arcanists refer to as an outsider - a being not from this plane. Cloudfoot hails from Celestia, the eternal heavens of the Good Gods." Cann's eyes get a little misty and fanboyish as he mentions this. He coughs, and gets back to the topic at hand. "Cloudfoot is not an ordinary horse, in any sense of the word." Cann raises an eyebrow in Persis' direction, and pops down the last of the stew-soaked bread. "And that is why she can stand watch. As to why I don't trust Walker to take the watches," Cann assumes a laconic, laid back stance, and holds up one hand, holding out two fingers and counting out his points on them. "One, he is evil. Two, he is a vampire. Did I have enough reasons for you there or should I go on? He isn't turning on us only because we suit his current purposes? He would have no compunction slitting our throats as we slept if it benefited him in some way?" Cann suddenly sits all the way up, and gestures to Walker. "Isn't that right?"

I believe that vampires, like all undead, don't need to sleep, eat, drink, or breathe. I can't remember if during the 'day' they go into a kind of stasis, but probly with this eternal darkness that would be dealt with anyway. What I want to know is with a 16 on his Knowledge: Religion check would Cann know anything about this?

Also, i've been puzzling over how an EL 5 character manages to have a LA +8 template, but i'n guessing Walker has either the Half-Vampire template or has taken 'levels' in the vampire progression. I'm not even going to TRY and guess how you got those insane plus's to hit and damage though.

Alicorn
2007-10-09, 09:47 AM
Persis

"I don't care where she's from or what kind of super-special-not-exactly-quite-a-horse she is. She can't talk, which means she can't tell us what's going on. And as far as Walker being evil is concerned, I haven't personally seen him doing anything evil. Actually, from what I've personally seen all I can say is he's a lot less annoying than you are, although granted being annoying isn't necessarily an indication of anything one way or the other. And him being a vampire is why he can take watch without losing needed sleep over it."

LightBringer
2007-10-09, 02:34 PM
Walker watches Persis and Cann go back and forth with a slight look of amusement, then decides to answer Cann's question in the break.

"If I told you that, that wasn't right, you wouldn't believe me anyway, and if I told you it was right, well then you'd have reason to try and kill me. So, I don't really see the value in answering that particular question.

Also, may I point out that the reason you haven't tried to kill me, is because I suit your current purpose at this time. So really, you are just talking in circles right now.

As far as watch is concerned, I'll let you two figure out whether Cloudfoot can have a watch or not, but don't worry Persis, you will be protected." Walker remains leaning against the tree once he is finished.

Alicorn
2007-10-09, 03:08 PM
Persis

"Thank you," says the halfling sunnily to Walker. "I'm too tired to argue anymore. I'm going to sleep." She checks on all her rats, and, assuming there is no change with any of them, feeds Lucky and goes to sleep.

Rejakor
2007-10-09, 11:35 PM
Cann of the Mist

Cann just raises an eyebrow as Persis declaims the advantages of traveling with a bloodsucking force of evil. He does, however, turn to Walker as Walker speaks, and seems on the edge of a nice long chuckle. "Walker, it seems you do not understand me at all." Cann says, laughter dancing merrily in his eyes. "I do not refrain from fighting you simply because it 'suits my purposes'. Indeed, no paladin true to his honour would let a being of evil walk free because it 'suited his purposes'. I do not seek to destroy you, Walker, simply because you have shown none of the signs of evil that I have been taught vampires seek instinctually. I am willing to give you the benefit of doubt. But I am not willing to give you my trust." Cann waves a finger in Walker's direction, grins, and rolling over falls asleep. Standing right next to him, her white coat almost luminous in the moonlight, Cloudfoot whickers distrustfully at Walker, and then takes a post at a nearby tree keeping an eye on the camp and the road at the same time.

Nearly four hours later:(assuming nothing else happens)

Cann yawns, stretches, and looks up into the blackness. "Yes, Cloudfoot, i'm awake." He stretches, a few joints popping in slightly strange ways. "Mostly." He says, and blinks a few times. Cloudfoot pokes him a few more times with her nose to make sure he's up, and while Cann slowly buckles his armour into place, she wearily fades out of view taking that step to the left and twist 90 degrees that takes her out of this plane and onto the seven mounting heavens of celestia. Cann pauses for a few moments, thinking about that fabled place. He shrugs, and stretches, his mind turning to the one time he has visited Solarion before this, as a neophyte just before he met his mentor, Jak Gallows, Merry Jak, and occasionally, Farstrider Gallows of the Ebon Order, trusted message-bearer of the High Council.

Cann sits down by the fire, stirring the ashes, runed longsword laid against the log that marks this somewhat gloomy campsite, the white and gold of his paladin vestments somewhat dimmed by the deeper darkness of the 'night'. With a sigh, he builds up the fire, letting it's faint light wash over him, and then, turning away from it, looks out into the darkness, keeping an eye out for anything approaching the camp site, and thinking, about strange and many things.

[roll0] - Spot Check.

[roll1] - Listen Check

LightBringer
2007-10-10, 08:22 AM
Walker spends his time moving from tree to tree. Sitting there for some time watching. Jumping down to the ground, and walking around the camp, then suddenly springing back into the trees and disappearing, and later jumping back down from a tree on the opposite side, and repeating the process.

Spot:
Roll 12 + 23 = 35

Listen:
Roll 10 + 23 = 33

Hide:
Roll 15 + 26 = 41

Move Silent:
Roll 14 + 26 = 40

Rejakor
2007-10-10, 10:21 AM
I'm officially calling bull**** on Walker. +23 on a spot check? +26 on a hide check?

Assuming Walker has 4 levels of the Vampire Savage Progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a) and is a 1st level whatever, then Walker would have for Hide: 4 (skill ranks) + 6 (Dex: 18 base dex +2 vampire attribute bonus + 2 magic) + 4 (Vampire Skill Bonus) + 2 (Masterwork Skill Tool - Complete Scoundrel(I think)) = For a grand total of +16 to hide. Add maybe a Skill Focus, for a +3. However Walker has not enough feat slots for all 4 skills.

Experiment. Level 5 Whatever + Full vampire template - 8 (Skill Ranks) + 7 (Dex) + 8 (Vampire Skill Bonus) + 2 (Masterwork Skill Tool) = 25.

What I want to know is, how the hell did you get your skills that high at EL 5, or why the hell ain't I ECL 13? :smallannoyed:

Cyrus112
2007-10-10, 02:13 PM
((I will say that Walker is using a Vampire template my friend came up with. As he levels, he gets more vampire abilities. I will also say those numbers do seem a little high.))

LightBringer
2007-10-10, 03:49 PM
That was a little confusing, but I finally figured it out. It appears my belief that the spoilers were reserved for only the GM to look at was wrong. Guess I'll have to go back and see what all I've been missing about everyone's characters.

Since Cyrus has issue I guess I'll have to just put all my characters secrets out there for all to see. Well, I could put it in a spoiler, but that wouldn't really help now would it.

Walker using Cyrus' template:
+10 misc. bonus to Listen, Search, and Spot
+8 misc. bonus to Sense motive, Move silent, and Hide

Because this is Walker third time in the campaign that has never been finished Cyrus has allowed him to keep his levels. That means he has 10 ranks in Hide, Listen, Move, and Spot. He has 6 ranks in Search, and 2 in Sense motive. Walker also has a misc bonus of +10 in Jump, because of Vampire template and boots.

Therefore:
Spot:
Roll 12 + 23 = 35
Breaks down into; Roll 12 + 10 misc + 10 ranks + 3 ability = 23 total.

Listen:
Roll 10 + 23 = 33
Breaks down into the same above.

Hide:
Roll 15 + 26 = 41
Breaks down into; Roll 15 + 8 misc + 10 ranks + 8 ability(Oh! Did I forget that part. Walkers Dex is a 26 based on template, giving him a +8 stat bonus, and so later no question arises about attack/damage Walker has a 28 strength, also following template, so he has a +9 stat bonus there.) back to total = 41

Move Silent:
Roll 14 + 26 = 40
Breaks down into the same above.

Is this enough explaining or would anyone like to know more about Walker?????

Edit below;
As a note Cyrus those numbers may appear high to you because I rarely use Walker's full bonuses. That may be why you are recalling lower numbers for Walker. If you need me to send you the link to Walker again let me know.

Rejakor
2007-10-11, 04:24 AM
I simply use spoilers for OOC comments/chat/rules jargon to make it neater. If I had something private, I would PM it to Cyrus. If you didn't want me to look in your spoilers, you should have PM'd it to him, or written some warning above it. Sorry about this anyway, but i've always been the rules lawyer in irl games and that tends to become a bit of a habit.

So, let me get this straight. Walker is ECL ? The vampire template (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm) (LA+8) gives a +8 to Bluff, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks. This is a racial bonus. In order to have 10 ranks, you need to be level 7.

Cyrus says you are using a custom vampire template, which is all well and good. I don't have access to this template, and I would very much like to see it. However, just inferring from what you've written there, it gives you a +2 bonus more to three skills but a -8 bonus less to one skill than the vampire template. Assuming a base score of 18 in both strength and dex (actually impossible using our pointbuy) +2 magic in both (possible this time, but only if walker is willing to burn 8000gp on stat increasing items, not even leaving enough for a +1 sword), then this template has to give Walker at least +8 to strength and +6 to dexterity, when the vampire template (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm) only gives +6 Str and +4 Dex. I don't know any other differences between this template and the SRD Vampire Template (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm), or any mitigating factors that this template has, but from what I can see it is as powerful as or more powerful than the SRD vampire template.

Makes me wonder how long those other two campaigns went for, :smalleek: , because adding seven levels of whatever to a LA 8+ Vampire template makes you around ECL, or Effective Character Level, 15.

And that makes the level 5's slightly pointless. So I would very much like to see this vampire template, and just really kind of know what's going on here, cause if we're in a party with a level 15 it makes anything we do vaguely pointless.

Also,
Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep. So Walker doesn't actually need to sleep, unless you're playing it that way.

LightBringer
2007-10-11, 10:25 AM
Part of the reason I chose Cyrus' template was so that my character couldn't be rules lawyered. I simply enjoy making a character and playing it. I've noticed though that around here, once you post 4 or 5 rolls and maybe a use a feat, everyone seems to suddenly know exactly what you are playing, your stats, and everything else about your character. Frankly I depise this. If I wanted everyone to know everything about my characters I would post a public link to the character sheets.

Looking back at your post I wondered how your 5th level had a +16 I think it was to your spot, but I really don't care and wouldn't bother to call you out about it. It is the GM job to call players on stats or rolls that look off. Otherwise everyone might as well just post public links to their characters.

I don't see how Walker makes everything you do pointless, since he is not even attempting to lead the party, or attempting to fight every bad guy, or using his full bonuses most of the time, or giving information about the campaign that he already knows. The only reason I used his full bonuses that time is because Cann is awake, and Walker didn't feel like giving him a shot at killing him.

I'll save Cyrus the grief of figuring out what to do, because if he gives in and shows the template, I'll quit the game. If he doesn't show the template you'll either quit or keep complaining. So, I'll just quit now and maybe he will be able to finally finish this campaign. I've busted my ass trying to keep parties together and keep this thing going to see the end of the journey, and if I have to quit to make that happen then so be it.

Alicorn
2007-10-11, 11:25 AM
((Please don't quit. I for one don't care how Walker gets his bonuses as long as he's not showboating or breaking the DM's rules whatever those may be. I don't want to be in a campaign with only two characters, either.))

Cyrus112
2007-10-11, 12:53 PM
((I too don't want to see anyone quit. I don't want to say thing beyond this as something I say may be construed as favoritism. This seems like a damned if I do, damned if I don't. If perhaps you two could set aside some time and talk, via aim or pm or some such, perhaps we can move on.))

Rejakor
2007-10-11, 11:09 PM
((Sigh. Walker, I don't want you to quit. I don't want anyone to quit. The only thing I want is to understand what is going on and make sure everyone has the rules correct. I don't want to know everything about Walker, and even if I did i'm very good at keeping ooc and ic knowledge separate. I just want to know what is going on here, how this template works, etc. I don't want Walker to be level 15 because then if there's a challenge for level 5's then Walker is in no danger, and indeed the level 5's are in very little danger, because Walker is there. And if there's something that's a challenge for level 15's, then the level 5's can do nothing, and just hope the level 15 wins. Also, it makes all this tension between Walker and Cann pointless, since if Cann ever actually steps in and tries to stop Walker doing something, or if Walker ever decides to just kill Cann, then there's not going to be a competition, so it makes any roleplaying along that line pointless since the whole 'rampantly opposed alignments working together out of necessity' 'badly matched roommates' thing is based around neither one being able to just murder the other at will.

But if Walker's not level 15, or there's something else about his character or the template that explains how all this works, or there's some reason for Walker being level 15, then that's fine. And, I mean, look at it this way - better a few days discussion now, and then it's all settled and everything rather than us playing through half of the campaign before someone having a giant ****storm over the fact you've been level 15 for the entire thing.

So, look. Don't just go, hang around and let me figure out what you're doing there, and once I know what's going on, and i've made sure it's all correct (another day or two, tops) we'll be back and track and it'll all be fine.))

Alicorn
2007-10-12, 09:08 AM
((I'm level 7, not level 5. We were allowed to keep our levels from previous iterations of this campaign. We'll even out eventually, regardless of where Walker actually is, and especially with the inclusion of liberal story awards *cough cough*. That having been said, Rejakor, you're being ridiculous: it isn't your job to police us about anything, and drawing the game to a halt, however temporary, to settle your accusation of another player cheating, is not constructive. Furthermore, while I don't think you're in the wrong, LightBringer, you *could* just show him your template and that would probably end the issue too. I for one will send my character sheet to anyone who wants to see it. I used to keep mine publicly available on my own site before I had to change hosting situations, and I never had problems.))

Cyrus112
2007-10-12, 03:25 PM
((*Sigh* I sincerely hope this gets resolved. I doubt anyone would be up for restarting this campaign again. I would try and help one way or another, but I will be gone for the weekend starting in like 15 mins and I'll be back on Sunday. Alicorn, Rejakor, if perhaps the two of you could get in contact with LightBringer, see if things can be resolved and we can move on, that would be great. If things stay fallen apart, let me know if anyone is interested in carrying on ((I can always try recruiting for a few days)) or starting over or what have you. If not, best of luck to all of you in future endeavors))

LightBringer
2007-10-12, 04:07 PM
Sending the template would actually ruin everything. It would allow another player access to the secrets Walker has, and I would also feel like I was being 'policed' as you put it. I made Walker up with Cyrus. I double checked everything with him before I brought him forward into this version of the campaign. In fact Walker lost a couple abilities on the way.

What I will say about the template is this. It is not just a race like the Vampires in the MM. It is actually more like a prestige class. Where Walker gains abilities as he levels. Shoot there are a couple things Vampires can do that Walker can't. Admittedly there are some perks for Walker. Like the stat issue. Walker recieves a bonus to his stats as he levels, it's not just one chunk.

Honestly, my favorite part of the game is trying to figure out who and what the other players are. It's harder for me because I don't have all the books, and I don't track down stuff on the net, and I avoid checking the rolls, and feats used, unless of course the feat is obvious, like cleave. Right now all I could tell you about Rejakor is that he is some sort of Paladin, and he prefers pummelling his evil opponents to death. Right now Walker thinks that it's some kind of replacement for sexual activity. :smallconfused: As Persis' goes, he knows she is a psi, but no idea about which abilities she has beyond the two, I think she has used. She seems nice enough, but you know what they say about the quiet ones. :smallwink:

If the template becomes available all that is lost for me. I don't have to watch what Walker does for fear of giving something away. No one will have to watch and learn because they will already know, and I'll know they already know. It greatly effects his ability to lie and manipulate, or is that just another version of bull****ting. :smallbiggrin:

As far as tension between Walker and Cann, did you miss the part where I said the only reason I used Walker's full bonuses was because Cann is awake. In my opinion the holy stuff is already unbalanced. Even being a higher level Walker has barely survived some of those area effect holy powers from you and from previous groups. Walker in no way takes Cann lightly, and if you count the horse too, which I'm fairly sure can fight as well, Walker surely wouldn't try to kill Cann in a face to face.

If Cyrus believes Walkers adversely effects the game, and wants to redo some aspects of Walker I'm fine with that, but I do not need or want another player making sure I'm following the rules. I've been playing this game over 20 years I know the rules. As far as challenge, why must an encounter have to be for level 5's or level 15's, which Walker is not. What rule says we can't have level 10 encounter's that challenge the group, or some mix that is designed to make the group cooperate, and use each character's abilities. It's Cyrus' job to make these things happen, and to keep things fair.

Alicorn
2007-10-12, 04:13 PM
((Would it be a bad idea to point out that I DMed one of the many previous iterations of this campaign and if I cared to remember, I could probably dig up the data on Walker to which I was entitled at that time? It so happens that I've forgotten it all and don't know where I kept the data, but it's probably findable.))

Rejakor
2007-10-13, 07:43 AM
((Walker: I fully understand the need for sheet privacy, as I personally don't like stats impinging on the game, in any way. I don't actually want to see your sheet, at all. I just was, and still am to a degree, flabbergasted at how you got those numbers. And while I am mainly a roleplayer, when you're playing a rules-heavy system like DnD, when the numbers restrict your in-game actions, I like to make sure everyone is playing by the same rules. I just want to clarify a few points, to make sure i'm not missing a house-rule or something. Below, i'll list a few questions, feel free to not answer if you feel i'm being too nosy about your character sheet.

#1: You speak of a modified template, am I to understand that this template is a normal template? (I.E, gives you a bunch of abilities/attribute bonuses/skill increases/SLA's, in exchange for a certain Level Adjustment (+8 for the SRD Vampire Template, for example)) If it doesn't work like that, does it work like the Vampire Savage Progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a) where you trade levels for abilities one by one? Or is it like a class (with Hit Dice and BAB and Saves and all the frills) that instead of class abilities gives you vampire abilities? (Like +dex or +str, drinking blud etc)

#2: When you say you're level 7, is that seven levels of a class + Level Adjustment of the template, or some mix of class levels and template or what? (Don't need to tell me the exact mix, just how you're jiggering it. If the answer to question #1 is the last option (the vampire class one) then don't bother answering this.)

#3: I don't actually have a question three, but since i've already put it on here, i'll hit you with a really hard one :smallfurious:: What is Walker's favourite colour?

Yeah, I went there.

EDIT: However, since I seem to be the only one bothered by this, we could just drop it and get on with the campaign. I'll just go and hide in the corner.))

Alicorn
2007-10-13, 09:31 AM
((I said *Persis* was level seven. Swashbuckler 3/Seer 4, if you're curious. I don't know what level Walker is and I don't think we need to. Do let's just drop it.))

LightBringer
2007-10-14, 06:21 PM
Yes Alicorn, I remember you took over GM'ing during the second attempt of the campaign. I know you could find it if you chose to, but I'm fairly sure you won't. You seem to be on the same page as me. Walker still dreams about the T-Rex you hit us with too. :smallredface: Thank goodness for the Paladin we had with us then.

It is basically a prestige class. I already said that though. Each level gives its own bonuses and special abilities like other prestige classes. I do find the Savage rules quite interesting. Thanks for the link.

Once again, it is Cyrus' job to make sure we are following the rules, and keep the game balanced and fair. If he has any problems or issues with Walker I'll be happy to address them with him. In fact I'll be sending you a pm Cyrus.

I really am not trying to be a hard-ass, but had I known everyone was reading spoilers I would have made it clear that, that spoiler was for Cyrus only, and we would not be having this issue. In fact, we would probably had finished the campaign and no one realized Walker was any different from the other characters. :smallsmile:

Rejakor
2007-10-15, 06:54 AM
((Well, I was already wondering how the hell you managed an 8-level template on 5 levels... I thought you were using the savage progression or some half-vampire template or something.

I can see how it would be balanced, you probably have the medium or poor BAB, bad saves, and no class abilities other than the undead and vampire traits + skill bonuses and attribute bonuses... for you to get the skill and attribute bonuses by level 7 it'd have to stack heavily with the vampire abilities (whatever ones you have) towards the later levels of the class since it gives so much skill bonuses and attribute bonuses at the start. If it has stuff approximately the same as the SRD vampire template, then it'd probly finish giving it all by levels 12-14, if it gives more stuff (which the attribute bonuses at least suggest) then it'd probly go to 20. The class by itself would be crappy, not many iterative attacks kind of thing, but when you add in all the attribute bonuses and skill bonuses and special vampire abilities and whatnot you get it would be a meaty vampire-warrior-ey class.

Anyway, that seems to make perfect sense to me, thanks for just calmly telling me what's going on and not freaking out or something.

So, we had made camp, and rolled our various spottings and listenings, and we were waiting to see what happens, yes?))

LightBringer
2007-10-15, 10:30 AM
(That sounds like a good description.)

Yes Mr. GM What do we get jumped by? :smalltongue:

Cyrus112
2007-10-15, 03:11 PM
((So it seems worked themselves out. Awesome. Thanks everyone for not like blowing your lids and stalking off like hurt little school kids :smallyuk: I believe I asked for a shift type thing and that person (or persons) on second shift to make listen rolls (I realize with what I'm doing spots really wouldn't help at all))

((Why oh why do these stealth base characters I made up have to roll so poorly >.<))

Walker and Cann, you both hear a rustle in the trees a little ways off, however your darkvision doesn't pick anything up.

((Remember now, all races have some semblance of darkvision cuz of the clouds, heh))

Rejakor
2007-10-15, 10:33 PM
Cann of the Mist

Sitting on the log near the fire, swordbelt in hand, the small silver luck-circles dangling off it glittering slightly in the light of the fire, Cann tenses up, not moving his head, but all senses alert for even the slightest noise.

[roll0]

EDIT: That's a natural 20. BOOM BWAHAHAHAH.

EDIT EDIT: Also, detect evil in the direction the noise came from. 60ft cone of evil detection.

LightBringer
2007-10-16, 09:34 AM
'A rustle in the trees', sounds like there is something up here with Walker. Whether the noise is in the trees or on the ground, Walker will try to circle to the side. He wants to be able to see/protect the camp, but also wants to get into a position to cut off whatever it is if it trys to retreat.

For Cyrus

Since we haven't finished reworking the template, please use Walker rolls from above for moving and such. Thanks.

Alicorn
2007-10-16, 10:48 AM
Persis

Since no one has nudged, spoken to, or otherwise awakened Persis, she continues obliviously snoozing. (*cough cough*)

Rejakor
2007-10-16, 10:52 AM
((Well, if Cann woke you up every time he heard an anonymous rustle from the bushes, you wouldn't get any sleep. One noise is suspicious - two noises is grounds for alarm.))

Cyrus112
2007-10-17, 04:22 PM
Cann, your hearing tells you, and your detect evil also tells you, that about seventy feet to the west of camp, there are figures watching the camp. Walker, you know the groups general area as well, but your sight still shows you nothing.

Rejakor
2007-10-17, 08:02 PM
Cann of the Mist

Crouching down, Cann with slow movements shakes Persis' shoulder. "Wake up."

Alicorn
2007-10-17, 08:16 PM
Persis

"Good morning to you too," grumbles Persis as she wakes up and rubs her eyes. "What is it?"

Cyrus112
2007-10-18, 12:45 PM
((Does an 18 hit you Cann? And does a 13 hit Persis?))

Two arrows come whizzing out of the darkness at Cann and Persis.

((Two damage to Cann if it hits, 6 to Persis if it hits. Also, make Fort saves. That's if the arrows hit))

Alicorn
2007-10-18, 07:22 PM
Persis

((Normally, that'd miss by a mile, but I'm flat-footed and not wearing my armor or holding my shield and don't have my Dodge targets set, so that will unfortunately hit me.

Do we need to make initiative rolls, or are we ad-hoc-ing turn order?))

"Yipe!" shrieks the halfling, peering at the arrow in her arm. On her action she grabs her gear, shield, and weapons (not sure if that's one or two move actions, despite the fact that they'd all be nearby and in a pile, but she can't see anyone either to attack them, so she'll take two if needed.)

Fort save: 10+8=18

Rejakor
2007-10-18, 09:50 PM
((Uhm, unless you stood up, you are still prone and get +4 AC against ranged attacks.))

Alicorn
2007-10-18, 09:58 PM
(Oh, good point. It was not my action yet when the arrows were announced, so Persis would still have been on the ground, prone, and with an AC of 15. I retract the yipe, the arrow in the arm, and the Fort save.)

Rejakor
2007-10-19, 12:18 AM
Cann of the Mist

A dark shadow flits through the night. Cann grunts as it hits just underneath the shoulder of his armour, punching through the mail-and-leather weave and slicing a shallow cut in his under-arm.

((So, do I get a turn now, or what?))

[roll0] - Fortitude save. I am immune to diseases, but I doubt this is a disease, eh.

EDIT: Well, that doesn't bode well.

Cyrus112
2007-10-19, 03:45 PM
((Yes, initiatives now, hehe))

Cann, you are unconscious for seven minutes, and in another minute you'll need to make another Fort save.

Alicorn
2007-10-19, 04:01 PM
((Init: 7+4=11))

Rejakor
2007-10-21, 04:07 AM
Cloudfoot's Init - [roll0]

Cyrus112
2007-10-21, 09:16 AM
((Waitin on Walker, although I imagine he's busy this weekend, as he seems to be every weekend, hehe. By the by, are we happy with just these three? I could open up recruitment for a wee bit, get one or two more people and have them join us quite soon))

Alicorn
2007-10-21, 09:31 AM
((I like the dynamic we have now, but an arcanist might not be amiss. I think between us we have the combat slot filled up pretty well, and unless Walker is a special vampire who can be healed with positive energy, we have enough healing in the form of the paladin to cover us, although there's really no such thing as too much. Unless you intend to send us into a trap filled dungeon we probably don't need a rogue. Bard might be a nice compromise between all three slots, but wizard or sorcerer would be neat too, especially one who did evocation, since my psion mojo is mostly seer stuff and augmenting my ability to stab people, nothing flashy with damage-dealing.))

Cyrus112
2007-10-21, 05:44 PM
((Not trying to imply we need to expand the group. Just curious as to you all feel about the group dynamic at present.))

Rejakor
2007-10-21, 10:54 PM
((Eh, i'm good with how it is. I've kind of become the Roy of the group, so to me the group size doesn't really matter. Galumphing for Roys in Grant's Ear. *dies laughing*. Anyway. I'm good with the group as it is at present. If you want to add people, go ahead. 3 is kind of the minimum for PbP, but the smaller group allows a closer team dynamic, which is fun to play. So i'm cool with whatever, basically.))

LightBringer
2007-10-22, 04:54 PM
(Sorry guys. Family was visiting, as they will be next weekend too.)

Basically I need to know if Walker saw or heard where the arrows came from? I imagine the strings made a nice popping sound when they were released.

(As far as the group goes, I'm fine with the way things are. So far everytime we recruit the game goes hay-wire, but you are the final say as GM.)

For Cyrus:

Spot roll 14 + 15 = 29
Listen roll 10 + 15 = 25

Cyrus112
2007-10-23, 10:31 AM
Walker, you can tell where the arrows are coming from, but you can't tell who or what is there or how many there are.

((What are you doing Persis?))

Cloudfoot stands protectively over Cann.

((Of course I have final say, but if you're all happy the way things are, why would I want to go out of my way to change things? As I said earlier, I'm happy with the group the way it is. I was just curious where you all stood. No recruiting will be done))

Rejakor
2007-10-23, 10:48 AM
((So, can I play Cloudfoot, or is she being npc'ed?))

Cyrus112
2007-10-23, 01:55 PM
((You may indeed))

Alicorn
2007-10-23, 02:19 PM
((Is this after I've already stood up and grabbed all my stuff?))

Rejakor
2007-10-23, 09:36 PM
Cloudfoot

Cloudfoot snorts, seeing the fallen Cann, and then turns her eyes to the trees. Lowering her head, she plants her feet, and then launches herself forward, silvery armour glinting in the light.

[roll0] - Spot

Cloudfoot is sprinting to move 250ft towards where the arrows came from. As soon as she sees the archers, she will stop right next to them and prepare to stomp some idiot.

Cyrus112
2007-10-23, 09:59 PM
((You are up Persis))

Unless Cloudfoot can sense magical things(or has some sort of blindvision), the horse doesn't see/sense anything.

Alicorn
2007-10-23, 11:46 PM
Persis

If possible (the PHB is ambiguous) Persis sets as her Dodge target whoever shot her, making her armorless AC 21 against that person.

Lacking any sane options, Persis fishes Lucky (the live rat) out of her bag and flings him as hard as she can in the direction whence the arrows came, and observes his behavior in case he can detect the enemies by smell and avoid them, or in case they react to his being thrown at them and give away their position that way. ((Should I make an Int check or something to interpret what happens to Lucky in any useful way? Or any kind of check to see how far I can throw Lucky?))

Cyrus112
2007-10-24, 06:11 AM
((Make a ranged attack with a -4 penalty as you aren't proficient with rats or improvised weapons. Also a spot check, or int check if that would be higher.))

Alicorn
2007-10-24, 07:57 AM
Persis

Ranged attack roll with improvised live rat: 12+5+4-4=21
Int check: 16+4=20

(If this works I will feel soooooo clever.)

LightBringer
2007-10-24, 08:46 AM
Walker will move quickly and quietly to the area where the arrows came from, and watch and wait.

(PM coming)

Cyrus112
2007-10-25, 09:49 AM
Persis, your rat lands in some bushes near the base of a tree and you see some arrows fly out of a spot on said tree into the bushes (you are currently unable to tell if Lucky is alive or where in the tree the people are).

Walker, you also see the arrows, but are still unable to see any signs of people.

Alicorn
2007-10-25, 10:05 AM
((Do I have enough information to aim arrows of my own back at the assailants? I realize they'll still have concealment, but can I pick out which squares (or, I suppose, since they're off the ground, cubes) they're in? Also, are you letting me set "whoever shot at me" as my Dodge target?))

LightBringer
2007-10-25, 02:21 PM
(Wishing I had a necklace of missles, or some other fireball technology.) :smallcool:

Walker will draw his sword from the quiver, and wait until he has a better opportunity.

(Can Walker see that Cann went down?)

Cyrus112
2007-10-25, 04:11 PM
Walker, you can see that Cann is on the ground, but whether unconscious or dead you can't tell. We'll allow the dodge bonus, as well as firing into their concealment. You'll just have a %50 miss chance. So persis, pick a range of 50 numbers and make an attack roll and damage.

Alicorn
2007-10-25, 04:50 PM
Persis

(How about I just flip a coin, heads I miss due to concealment?)

Persis manifests an augmented Bolt to get (3+1=) four +2 arrows and moves to within one range increment of the tree in which the assailants are, behind cover if she can get it. (Please let me know if I have cover.)

Cyrus112
2007-10-26, 05:06 PM
((You have cover, go ahead and roll your attack, as it will hit, hehe))

Alicorn
2007-10-26, 07:56 PM
((Manifesting Bolt is a standard action. I can't attack till my next turn. Do you want me to roll anyway?))

Cyrus112
2007-10-26, 11:56 PM
((Suurree, go ahead))

Alicorn
2007-10-27, 08:55 AM
Persis

Miss chance: Tails (hit)
Attack: 20+10+2=32
Crit confirmation: 10+10+2=22
Damage: 2+4+1+1+2+2=12

((Who da halfling? I da halfling! ^^))

Cyrus112
2007-10-27, 09:26 AM
Persis, two arrows fly at you and both miss horribly. Walker, I imagine a 14 doesn't hit you. These attackers seem to be ignoring the horse. ((What are walker and Cloudfoot going to do?))

Rejakor
2007-10-28, 02:04 AM
Cloudfoot

Cloudfoot narrows her eyes and turns around, scanning the treetops and slowly padding towards where the arrows came from.

[roll0]

Cyrus112
2007-10-28, 07:47 PM
((Much like the other two, Cloudfoot can tell where the arrows came from, but can't see the attackers, unless Cloudfoot has some sort of magical detecting ability.))

Rejakor
2007-10-28, 08:27 PM
((So, she can see the square the arrows came from but not the people? Invisibility, or something like it, then. Where are the squares? On the ground, or in a tree? Cloudfoot has 4 iterative attacks, she's sure if she stomps where someone is enough, she'll hit something.))

LightBringer
2007-10-29, 09:01 AM
(No a 14 won't hit.)

Walker waits with his sword ready. As soon as Persis gets lucky enough to hit something Walker will attack that spot. Other than that he is watching for leaves moving, limbs bending, or anything else that would give him an idea were the attackers may be.

Cyrus112
2007-10-29, 04:13 PM
((Yes, and remember that its nighttime with no sunlight to begin with, what with the clouds)).

The arrows came from up in a tree, not on the ground.

Persis, your bolt flies forward and once it reaches the appropriate square, it disappears. There is, however, a grunt of pain, and a figure falls out of the tree, seemingly popping out of nowhere.

((Knowledge: Arcana if anyone has it))

Alicorn
2007-10-29, 06:04 PM
((Untrained check: 9+4=13. Is the guy dead, unconscious, or just wounded? What does he look like? What is he wearing? What species is he?))

Rejakor
2007-10-29, 11:21 PM
((Umm you seem to have missed my question - where were the arrows coming from? Cloudfoot is like, right there, and she has 30ft darkvision (like everyone else on this world), so she should be able to see where the arrows materialize, yes? I assume both arrows came from a tree(s) but how high up? Can cloudfoot reach that high? If not, she's going to just stomp the guy on the ground into mush.))

Cyrus112
2007-10-30, 07:59 AM
((It would be out of range for the horse to hit the people in the trees, yes.))

The figure is a Drow and he is unconscious until Cloudfoot tramples him to death.

Alicorn
2007-10-30, 08:05 AM
Persis

"Geez, don't kill them, stupid horse, we might want to question them! For all we know they've got friends, or at least fragile loot you're smashing!" exclaims Persis to Cloudfoot, firing another arrow at another attacker in the tree and missing.

(Rolled heads)

LightBringer
2007-10-30, 11:10 AM
(I'll have to put a nix on that.)

As soon as Walker see the figure hit the ground, and the horse approach it, he will use his increased speed to leap down and pull the person away.

For Cyrus:

Lesser Celerity make move 100'

Walker has been waiting so his Init is 25.

He just wants to grab and go.
GrapplRoll:
(1d20)+0
15,+0
Total:15e roll:
Sorry forgot to add in base hit and stat bonus + 9
total is 15 + 9 = 24

Rejakor
2007-10-30, 12:05 PM
((Well, Cloudfoot is approaching the fallen guy on her turn, which means you'd need a prepared action (assuming you're acting before cloudfoot, I dunno your initiative). Also, you couldn't drag him out of the way unless you had a full turn. You need to move there, standard to grab, and then move left to drag + a strength check to drag. Since you only get a standard action in a prepared, and I doubt you have a prepared action for something like this, you can't actually do anything about it, so looks like Drow Man's fate is in cloudfoot's hands, err, hooves.

Luckily for you, she's a force of good.))

Cloudfoot

Cloudfoot, taking a philosophical stance on trees and arrows, trots gently over the fallen man, nosing him gently. If he's conscious, Cloudfoot places an armoured foot daintily on his chest.

Grapple Check to Pin the man if he's conscious - [roll0] - Cloudfoot forgoes the grapple damage. +14 = +4 size +6 strength + 4 BAB.

LightBringer
2007-10-30, 02:42 PM
(Actually if you want to run the rules around I'll just attack Cloudfoot then and be done with it.)

For Cyrus:

I intend to do what I said before. Get the Elf out of the way. I don't really care about Cloudfoot's new attitude.

Rejakor
2007-10-30, 03:49 PM
((So... umm... are you attacking cloudfoot? Cause... what initiative are you acting on? Is it my turn? Did cloudfoot walk up to the dude before walker attacks her? Cloudfoot is currently on AC 27, if that helps.))

Alicorn
2007-10-30, 03:56 PM
((I'm SO CONFUSED. Whose turn is it? Are you allowed to redact actions like that? Persis would only have spoken after Cloudfoot stomped the drow. If she doesn't stomp the drow Persis won't speak. If she doesn't stomp the drow is Walker still going to do anything about that situation, be it snatching away the drow or attacking the horse? Wouldn't his action be better spent going after the other enemies that are still in the tree?))

LightBringer
2007-10-30, 04:44 PM
(I don't know how Cyrus will deal with the actions, reactions, and re-reactions, but it's up to him. I will answer this though. Seeing that Cann is down and Cloudfoot is 'originally' stomping it's way over. Walker would rather save the Drow for the following reasons. He still can't see the enemies in the trees, and he would rather have a captive to question. Knowing that if they are capable of grabbing their comrade he will likely disappear again, Walker would rather secure him now, and since you are now able to defend and attack Walker will move protecting you down to second priority.)

Cyrus112
2007-10-30, 09:41 PM
((To save time and any bickering, Walker, being what you are, you can tell that the Drow is indeed dead. Persis and (perhaps?) Cloudfoot can make survival checks to determine the status of the drow.))

Alicorn
2007-10-31, 12:16 AM
((Is he dead because Cloudfoot stomped him, or are you retroactively making him already dead so Cloudfoot needn't stomp him?))

Rejakor
2007-10-31, 01:07 AM
((Gah. Okay, guys, just so's you know, from now on, any action I propose or say I might do while in double-brackets is purely OOC. This is why I use spoilers. Makes it a lot clearer what is and isn't ooc. When I said 'stomp into the ground' it didn't have Cloudfoot above it, and it was in double brackets, and I hadn't taken my turn yet, I was just asking for more information about the situation. So it hadn't actually happened yet. Whenever I do *anything*, it will always be under a bold heading and in descriptive text with proper rolls and rules explanation in a spoiler underneath it.))

EDIT: ((Cloudfoot isn't taking his pulse or anything. I mean, she's a horse. Bit hard. She's just checking if he's moving, groaning, looking around, pretending to be dead, or something. So mebbe a sense motive?))

LightBringer
2007-10-31, 10:01 AM
((I have no problems with you using spoilers. If it doesn't have a name above it, as I've been doing, I'll assume it is safe for me to read. If it does have a name, I'll keep my eyes off it. In fact I think I'll start using that method.))

Public:

See even an old dog can learn new tricks. :smallsmile:

Rejakor:

Let's see if Cyrus reads this. You do realize that Cloudfoot went back to Celestia after Cann woke up from sleeping. What I keep trying to point out is that Cyrus is responsible for catching these errors. Just as he is responsible for catching characters errors like when you called bull on Walker. It's not my job to police you, or Alicorn. It's Cyrus' job to police us. I applaud your knowledge of the rules, and the game, but don't smack me with them, please. Smack Cyrus' NPC's all you want, but please let him police us the players. As it is Walker has again lost a lot of abilities because of your calling bull on him. I can deal with that, but please stop beating him with the rules. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Alicorn:

Hey! I didn't want you to feel left out. :smallbiggrin:

From his perch in the tree Walker sees that between Persis and the fall the Drow is dead. Walker then throws himself at the area, of the tree, where the Drow fell from in a flying body tackle, to try and get a hold of something.

((Walker has been waiting so his 'take 20' to reset his init sets it at 25))

Cyrus:

GrapplRoll:
(1d20)+0
15,+0
Total:15e roll:
Sorry forgot to add in base hit and stat bonus + 9
total is 15 + 9 = 24

I just reused the Grapple from before since Walker didn't use it to get the elf.

Cyrus112
2007-10-31, 04:04 PM
((The Drow was dead upon the attack. It should have been that way from the get go. Persis took away half or more of his life, and he failed his Fort save. So yeah, dead. I should have made that clearer. My apologies. So for now, to make things clear and stated, the way I'm going to run combat rounds is that everyone is going to post their actions, and I will then run the round of combat that way. If you are all fighting someone and you stated you were going to attack said person and that person dies by the time it gets to your init, feel free to post a different action. So what we're going to do is rewind to when the Drow fell out of the tree dead, and the arrows missed Persis. We are back to the top of the initiative. You are all free to keep your old actions, just please repost your action for the round. If you have any questions before you take your action, feel free to ask. So, Walker is throwing himself at the tree. What are Cann/Cloudfoot and Persis doing?))

Alicorn
2007-10-31, 07:41 PM
Persis

shoots, and misses due to concealment.

Rejakor
2007-10-31, 09:12 PM
((Right. Umm, okay, i'll go back to using spoilers. Anyone can read what's in my spoilers. As before, anything secret will go in PM's or indicated before the start of the spoiler.))

@ Walker: I'd like to respond to what you said, i'm not arguing with you, just explaining my reasons for doing what you did. I'm going to repost what you said in the private spoiler above, sorry, but this is so everyone else doesn't think i'm crazy, arguing with myself, and there doesn't seem to be any secret stuff there.
Let's see if Cyrus reads this. You do realize that Cloudfoot went back to Celestia after Cann woke up from sleeping. What I keep trying to point out is that Cyrus is responsible for catching these errors. Just as he is responsible for catching characters errors like when you called bull on Walker. It's not my job to police you, or Alicorn. It's Cyrus' job to police us. I applaud your knowledge of the rules, and the game, but don't smack me with them, please. Smack Cyrus' NPC's all you want, but please let him police us the players. As it is Walker has again lost a lot of abilities because of your calling bull on him. I can deal with that, but please stop beating him with the rules. Thanks.

Well, first of all, thanks for telling me this. I much prefer, much prefer, having any grievances or problems out in the open, so they can be dealt with, rather than festering aside for however knows. First of all, I checked what you said, about Cloudfoot, and you're right. I thought that Cloudfoot could manifest from Celestia, called by her empathic link with Cann, but apparently Cann has to summon her as a full-round action. Thank you, and i'm not being some passive aggressive little ****, I actually LOVE it when someone takes the time and risks anger or annoyance to make sure I understand the rules properly. I see it as a friendly thing to do, and I believe that understanding the rules is imperative for a game to go smoothly and with maximum fun. Now looking at the situation, Cann could easily have summoned Cloudfoot, and would have, if his player had known the rules properly (see? rules knowledge good. :smallcool:). So we can either retcon that Cann summoned Cloudfoot as/before he woke Persis. Or, since Cloudfoot hasn't done much yet, we could easily retcon Cloudfoot out of the combat, and have her unaware in Celestia. Since it's my character, and I have a vested interested, it's up to you guys/Cyrus to decide. I'm cool with either outcome.

As for Cyrus catching all errors - i'm going to have to disagree with you there. Let me just explain where i'm coming from before I go any further. I've played in a lot of dnd groups, and most of them were fun. In some of them, however, there were players who bent the rules, or broke the rules, for various reasons. Invariably, those games were less fun, not just for me but for the other players as well. This is because DnD as a rule-system defines what you can do, what might be able to do, and what you can't do. You can't control an npc. You might be able to beat up that npc. You can use your pc to interact with that npc. Nearly all game systems do this. Now, in DnD, games run best when everyone is in agreement about the rules. I'm not saying 'everything has to be RAW' :smallfurious:. If you want to do something outside the rules, like rush in to stop a horse trampling someone out of turn, then do it! By all means! Especially if it's cool! But! First, you have to get the DM's/group's permission. If you want to do something outside the rules, you should say so. Cause, if you don't, then i'll assume you don't understand the rules (which is perfectly fine, these rules are hard, immense, confusing, contradictory and sometimes just downright odd), and explain why I think you've gone off the track. Now, you say 'The DM should correct me if i'm wrong', but I think that's a bit much pressure to put on the DM. Who is already doing 99% of the work, for the players, so the players can have fun. The DM is not a godlike individual (well, except in the game), the DM can't catch everything. It's so much easier, and you get better results, if everyone just co-operates to keep the rules more or less on kilter. I'm not saying everything should be put through a fine-tooth comb with off-site observers and satellites. I'm just saying that if you, or I, or alicorn, or even some random reader, pick up something, we should say so! Then we can sort it out, make a house-rule, allow it once, decide it's actually within the rules, etc. Well, actually the DM makes the decision. That's the DM's job, all the players do is point it out, make suggestions, or whatever. The DM is the person who's in charge of the rules and whatnot. Do you see what i'm saying?

As for me calling Bull on Walker - I called bull on Walker, cause I didn't understand what was going on. I had raised a few concerns in earlier spoilers, but you hadn't responded to those (obviously you weren't reading my spoilers, I get that now). Because PbP isn't as easy to communicate in as rl play, I got concerned about Walker, and how he had such big bonuses, I didn't know how you got them and I thought maybe you or cyrus hadn't understood a rule properly, so I brought it up. With all the subtlety of a bull in a china shop. And I apologize about that, but I vastly prefer to bring problems up now, make sure they're dealt with, and all proper, than let them go on and cause bigger problems later on. But I do apologize for not being a bit more nicer/subtle about it.

As for smacking you with the rules - I don't smack people with rules. I have never smacked people with rules. I, as far as I can tell, will never smack anyone with the rules. I like the rules being proper. If they're not proper, I like it if the person asks for them to be that way, and the DM says yes. And if that happens, I would prefer that everyone else gets notified (unless it's about something secret), so they know you're understanding the rules correctly, but doing it a different way for X reason or because of Y.

About loss of abilities - I don't know what you mean, so i'm going to sit here and look pretty. :smallcool:

Closing Words - I understand that I may come across as some kind of rules nazi, but i'm really not. I just like it being stated what we're doing, since I have a lot of trouble inferring things from what people say (on the interweb and irl), so a little bit of extra explanation, which'll stop me going and looking up the rules and seeing if they work that way and then hurrying back here to tell you all to STOP! IT'S WRONG! OMG! THANK GOD I CAUGHT YOU IN TIME! ... and making a fool of myself.

Also, this turned into a rant when I wasn't looking. Grr. So i'll finish here.

-j

Note: This is a response, not an argument. I don't intend to argue this point. The only reason this was written is because i'm enjoying this game immensely, and I don't want to see things soured/ended because of a simple misunderstanding. :smallsmile:

Cloudfoot

Cloudfoot looks up at the tree the other sniper is hiding in. A tree, eh? Her gaze seems to say, and she starts moving, a slow run intended to be stopped by nothing short of a collision with a continent, and at a perfectly timed point, launches herself through the air at the spot the arrow came from in the tree the other sniper must be hiding in.

Rules Spoiler(anyone can read. Check my work! Heheheh.):

Yep, two flying bodies. Heheheheheh.

[roll0] - Jump Check, with a run-up. :P +8 for 50ft Base Speed, +4 for str, +2 for ranks, +4 for Run feat. Horse space is 10ft, so distance from ground to tree branch -10ft is jump distance.

[roll1] - Strength check to Trample Overrun. Provokes AoO. Strength or Dex to oppose, if successfully opposed, opponent makes a strength check to knock Cloudfoot prone. Which would entail falling damage. If not successfully opposed, opponent falls prone. Which would probably entail falling damage. And Cloudfoot gets a free hoof attack against them, and a free armour spike attack. +4 str, +4 more than two legs, +4 Large, +4 Improved Overrun feat.

[roll2] - Attack Check for free trample hoof attack, which is against prone and flatfooted. Cloudfoot is taking a -4 for power attack purposes.

[roll3] - Damage for hoof attack. +8 power attack, +4 str. EDIT: Crappit! Cloudfoot is NOT wielding her hoof in two hands. :P See, this is why I like people to look over stuff and make sure i'm not making mistakes. That +8 for power attack should be a +4, so reduce the damage by 4 to compensate. :P

[roll4] - Attack Check for free armour spike attack, which is against prone and flatfooted. Power attack for -4. -4 non-proficiency.

[roll5] - Damage for spike attack. +8 power attack, +4 Str. EDIT: And again. Reduce this damage by 4 too, please.

Reason I am explaining modifiers: Not because I just wrote a rant on player-ruleswatching (there's a word for this, I swear it), but because this is the first time Cloudfoot has used her attack routine. :smallredface:

Rejakor
2007-10-31, 09:24 PM
Oh, and I forgot this.

[roll0] - Strength check to resist being knocked down as a result of a failed overrun. +4 str, +4 more than two legs, +4 Large.

Cyrus112
2007-11-01, 08:43 AM
((I'll allow Cloudfoot to stay in this time around, just try and remember to summon her in future :smalltongue: ...Well ****, those rolls just really didn't go in the Drow's favor.))

You all see this enormous horse jump through the air. You hear a thud and a Drow falls out of the tree, looking dazed and confused and a little hurt. And then the horse falls onto the Drow, trampling him into the embrace of Lloth.

((Walker, you will also need a melee touch attack along with the grapple check. Also, pick odds or evens.))

LightBringer
2007-11-01, 04:39 PM
Public:

Rejakor, I'm not taken your debate as anything other than a debate. I have problems coming off over the net as angry, but trust me I'm not. I enjoy the debate. I'll have more tomorrow. Oh, the term you are looking for, it's Rules-Lawyer

Cyrus I just got to the office and have no time. Could you please roll for me, and as always I am odd.

LightBringer
2007-11-02, 02:39 PM
Touch attack

Touch attack:
Roll(1d20)+0:
14,+0
Total:14 + 10 = 24

Debate

I never said Cyrus could catch every error in the rules. I said it's Cyrus' job to police us. There is a slight difference. :smallwink:

I've been in a fair share of groups myself. Like I said, I've been doing this nigh on 30 years now. (Damn I'm getting old) I've been in groups were players would casually help the GM and point things out occasionally. I've been in groups were the players never said anything, and cracked up laughing waiting for the GM to catch obvious infractions everyone else saw. I've even been in a group that blew up, and friendship were damaged beyond repair due to rules lawyers. So I know what you are talking about.

In fact if this was a table top/face-to-face game I would probably agree with a lot of what you are saying, but this isn't. It's a play-by-post game, obviously. Not to mention we are in a homemade world. Even I'm not sure of all of Cyrus' 'house-rules', and I've been here the longest. My point is that in a face-to-face this debate would have been done and gone in 20 minutes tops. That time is exponentially increased in play-by-post. In fact I'm in a game on another site that has basically been killed by the players continually trying to 'understand' the GM's rulings and agruing about how 'the rules' say it should be, and trying to police everything that happens.

Rules are fine and dandy. In fact, I can still probably quote rules and the pages they are on from 2nd edition books, not to mention my favorite system, you know, the one Steve Jackson did. :smallbiggrin: But, when you except the mantle of GM, or DM whichever you prefer, you are excepting that responsibility. The responsibility to catch players trying to really cheat, not just some error in calulation, or forgetting the exact rules to summoning a mount. :smallcool: You are excepting the responsibility, to ensure everyone has a good time, that things progress nicely, and that the adventure continues, even if you have to bend the rules. One example was a campaign I was in, and everyone had failed the roll to find the secret door that lead to the next stage. The DM couldn't finesee that the door was found because a rules laywer kept arguing that it wasn't right. We never did finish that campaign. A freaking year wasted on the rules.

I know that you are not being that picky, and you feel like everyone should be on the same page, but it's an example of how crazy some people can get. Hell, I picked Cyrus' template because it was an unknown, because only Cyrus knew what my character was capable of. That's what I was trying to point out that I couldn't have 'cheated' making Walker, since Cyrus' had to tell me how to make him.

Rules Smacking:
Well, Cloudfoot is approaching the fallen guy on her turn, which means you'd need a prepared action (assuming you're acting before cloudfoot, I dunno your initiative). Also, you couldn't drag him out of the way unless you had a full turn. You need to move there, standard to grab, and then move left to drag + a strength check to drag. Since you only get a standard action in a prepared, and I doubt you have a prepared action for something like this, you can't actually do anything about it, so looks like Drow Man's fate is in cloudfoot's hands, err, hooves.

Looks a lot like smacking to me. You see in this case I would wait for the GM to tell me how he/she wanted to resolve it, because the picture in the GM's mind of what is happening is the only one I have interest in. Cyrus may well have said, "Sorry you can't do anything to stop it", and I go, "Damn", then wait. He could have said the same thing you said, but added, "Give it a shot." and I go, "Damn", and start rolling.

Back to rambling:
I know as a GM it's hard to get the same picture across to the player as you have in your mind. I always allow the player to ask questions to better clarify their position, but I generally smack them when they start messing with other players pictures. Simply because that player may nor want more information and are comfortable with thier picture, and if I have to bend the rules to allow something to happen that neeeds to happen, I do it. God pity the soul who tells me, the GM, "You can't do that!! Thats against the rules."

I guess basically my point is that rules are good, but rules are not everything. Especially in this forum. Cyrus has accepted a mantle, that, I for one don't think everyone can handle. As such I rely on him to monitor all the players, as well as his world. If I see something that is obvious cheating that he doesn't, I might send him a pm, and if he does something about it that's his decision. Then again I may not say anything at all.

Cyrus112
2007-11-02, 03:48 PM
((Damn the dice and their love of my players, lol...I just realized I'm also gonna need a jump check, Walker. I didn't see one in a previous post. If it's there, my apologies, just post the result again if you would))

LightBringer
2007-11-02, 04:39 PM
Jump Check
Roll(1d20)+12:
19,+12
Total:31

Rejakor
2007-11-03, 05:24 PM
Ello.

Is it my turn naow?

Cyrus112
2007-11-04, 10:19 AM
((We go back to everyone posting their actions as soon as Walkers turn is resolved. I just looked at previous posts and I need to actually structure things the way I said I was going to, lol. So, Walker doing this will end the round and then you will all post actions for the next round. So far this round, the rest of the people in the tree missed their targets, as did Persis. Cloudfoot trampled a Drow to death and now...))

Walker leaps into the tree and manages to grab a hold of someone. Walker gets a firm grip and, grappled, the two of them plummet to the ground, each of you taking four damage from the fall.

((Walker's new Init is near the top now. All actions have been resolved. Now back to everyone posting what they are going to do. Walker, you couldn't see anything on your jump into the tree, and it seemed like even your darkvision wasn't helping any. You noticed that after you got to a certain point, everything just went black, and at a certain point you could see again))

Alicorn
2007-11-04, 10:39 AM
Persis

She shoots... she gets another heads... she misses.

Rejakor
2007-11-04, 10:57 PM
So wait a sec, we had two archers, we've found three drow, that means that we no longer know where/if there are any more, right? Cause we've already taken out the two archers whose positions we knew, so there might be more, but we dunno where they are in the tree(s). Right?

LightBringer
2007-11-05, 09:19 AM
(If the archer on the ground is now visible to Walker he will attempt to knock him out.)

Cyrus:

I don't have a die roller up, I will finish this in a bit. If you get out here before then kindly inform me which rolls I need. Grapple? Attack? Both?

Okay I'm back I'll just give you both.
Grapple, then Punch Attack to subdue

Roll(1d20)+9:
16,+9
Total:25

Roll(1d20)+9:
11,+9
Total:20

I imagine rolling around will lower my AC to 15.
That's standard + dex.

Alicorn
2007-11-05, 09:34 AM
((If there are two archers and we've got them both under control I, obviously, retract my action. I'll wait to hear if there's anybody else to shoot at before I do so though.))

Cyrus112
2007-11-06, 10:45 AM
((There are more. It's just some have crossbows and not bows, so yeah, full round reload action. But you all have no idea how many people are up in the trees, heh. If I'm not mistaken Walker, you will need a grapple roll and then damage. Unless you are a monk or have improved unarmed strike, I believe subdual damage is...1d3 + str? (Rejakor, if you could help me out here, heh). You'll also need a Grapple check for when the Drow tries to escape)).

Persis' arrow seems to not hit anything. Walker is pounding into a Drow with his fist in an attempt to subdue him.

((Hmm, what is Cloudfoot doing? Post action as if this following thing didn't happen til after Cloudfoot's action))

Suddenly, everyone can see up into the tree. There is one remaining Drow up there and he has a crossbow leveled at Persis.

((Does a 16 hit? If so, 3 damage and a Fort save))

Alicorn
2007-11-06, 11:03 AM
Persis

((No, a 16 misses me even without my armor on and even assuming he wasn't at that time my Dodge target.))

Persis resets all of her Dodge bonus to the crossbow-wielding drow in the tree and shoots at him.

Attack: 9+10+2=21
Damage: 2+1+2=5

(edit: forgot my ammo is +2, not +1)

LightBringer
2007-11-06, 12:21 PM
Cyrus:

In the above post the first roll was my grapple. The second was my attack. Here is damage, and another grapple.

Damage:
Roll(1d6)+0:
4,+0
Total:4 (4/2 = 2 + (str) 5 = 7 subdual

Grapple:
Roll(1d20)+9:
11,+9
Total:20

Walker tries to get the upper hand with a shot to the jaw of the Drow.

Rejakor
2007-11-06, 02:15 PM
Cloudfoot

Cloudfoot leans her head down to see if this guy is really dead, or just faking it. Seeing that he's pretty damn dead, she shakes her mane, as if to say Yeah, see how good your trees were THEN, punk and goes to move back towards Cann. However, as Walker tackles a THIRD drow from the mysterious tree of drow, if Cloudfoot had eyebrows they'd be firmly raised. She turns herself to face the tree, and plants herself, waiting for it to either disgorge more drow, or reveal that it's not in fact an evil drow-producing tree of doom.

One more drow appears, and it appears all of Cloudfoot's assumptions are correct. This is an evil drow producing tree. There is only one way to deal with this. She lowers her head, and charges.

I'm assuming no attack rolls to hit a tree? Power Attack for full, in that case. If not, then power attack for full anyway. You can roll me attack checks on your dice if I need them. 1d20+4 for hooves (including negatives for power attack) 1d20+4 for armour spikes and 1d20-3 for gore and bite attacks. Because of steel-shod hooves, Cloudfoot's hoof attacks deal bludgeoning damage, her horn deals piercing, her bite deals whichever is best out of the three types and her armour spikes deal slashing.

Damages:

First Hoof - [roll0]

Second Hoof - [roll1]

Bite - [roll2]

Gore - [roll3] - EDIT: Sorry, I only get gore on a charge. Discount this.

Armour Spikes - [roll4]

Cyrus112
2007-11-06, 04:57 PM
((Wouldn't Cloudfoot need another jump check?))

Rejakor
2007-11-07, 12:46 AM
Cloudfoot is attacking the base of the tree with a full attack, in the attempt to literally knock it down/destroy it.

Cyrus112
2007-11-07, 05:08 PM
While Cloudfoot doesn't do any serious damage to the tree, it causes enough of a commotion so that the Drow falls out and hits the ground hard.

((Damn nat 1's on reflexes, lol))

Cyrus112
2007-11-08, 08:41 AM
((Next round of actions please))

Alicorn
2007-11-08, 09:36 AM
((Is the fallen drow unconscious?))

LightBringer
2007-11-08, 04:19 PM
Lack of time today. Walker will be trying to subdue the Drow still. Make any rolls needed to keep things moving please.

Rejakor
2007-11-08, 11:13 PM
Cloudfoot

Cloudfoot snorts. That tree won't be terrorising any more innocent travelers. It learned it's lesson but good. Confident that Walker and Persis can deal with the last of the treedrow, Cloudfoot wanders off to check on Cann.

Cyrus112
2007-11-09, 08:08 AM
((Sorry bout that lack of detail))

The drow that fell out of the tree is dazed but alive. Walker manages to subdue the other Drow on this turn.

Alicorn
2007-11-09, 09:18 AM
Persis

The swashbuckler nimbly maneuvers her way towards the fallen, live drow and holds her rapier to his throat. "Hallo," she says cheerfully. "I'm Persis Datra and I really think I'm owed an explanation. Who're you and why were you attacking us and what happened to the guy who got shot and keeled over and what can we do about it, promptly in order please? Oh, Walker," she adds to the vampire, "have you got any rope or anything? It will be so messy if I have to cut this one to keep him from running away on us. Better to tie him up."

((Diplomacy check 8+15=23; Sense Motive on his responses 17+9=26))

LightBringer
2007-11-09, 02:54 PM
With his Drow unconscious Walker turns to Persis, "Maybe". With a quick look into his backpack Walker turns smiling, "I guess I do", he replies pulling 50 foot of silk rope from the pack. "I hardly ever look in there. I forgot I even had it!" He walks over and ties up the Drows together.

Cyrus112
2007-11-10, 11:12 AM
((Use rope check please Walker))

The Drow begins talking at you in a language you don't recognize (not even if you have Undercommon. Unless one of you for some reason took the Ancient Alerian language, which I do believe I mentioned you could take at the start of the game. If I didn't, woopsies, heh. Also, you'll need a damn good reason to have Ancient Alerian as one of your languages.))

Alicorn
2007-11-10, 11:28 AM
Persis

((No ancient Alerian here, no.))

Switching to Elven on the assumption that he doesn't speak Common, Persis says "I don't know what you're saying, and you really, really want me to know what you're saying." She then repeats her questions.

Rejakor
2007-11-10, 08:28 PM
I haven't actually picked any languages... There are the normal languages, i'm assuming? Cann has 2 bonus languages, and Faded Aasimar can take any bonus languages, what would he know as paladin of the arcanix? He was an initiate of the order of pelor, studying to be a healer, before he became a holy warrior. So what would he know? I'm guessing Celestial, but what else would he likely know? Also, just give me a bell when Cann wakes up, Cloudfoot is going to be standing guard over him. Oh yeah, and when I get the time, i'll re-transcribe Cann's character sheet onto a friend's private character server, something that is unlikely to go down. ^_^

Cyrus112
2007-11-11, 09:42 PM
((If anyone would have Ancient Alerian, it would be you, Cann. With your background, the most likely languages would be Celestial, Abyssal, Infernal, Undercommon, Ancient Alerian, Elven, Dwarven, Draconic.))

The Drow spits and seems to repeat the same thing he just said, and again ((unless you speak Ancient Alerian)) you have no idea what he's saying.

Rejakor
2007-11-12, 12:51 AM
Well, out of that list, i'd say Celestial and probably Ancient Alerian, but the problem is now I could be seen as taking that because now we have a need for it. Grarg. Ah, fookit. It's not like Cann is awake yet. He knows Celestial and Ancient Alerian.

Alicorn
2007-11-12, 01:47 PM
Persis

Persis tries all of the six languages she knows ((I am on a public computer, not my own, and don't have my char sheet; I will edit this post later with all the languages she knows; off the top of my head she has Common, Halfling, Gnome, Draconic, Elven, and something else which eludes me

Edit: Dwarven is the one I forgot.)).

LightBringer
2007-11-12, 02:53 PM
Use rope check:
roll 14 + 9 = 23

Walker just watches as Persis tries to talk with these goobs.

Rejakor
2007-11-12, 06:53 PM
goobs.

I found this inordinately funny.

Cyrus112
2007-11-12, 11:47 PM
Once again the Drow spits at you and responds in the same language as before, and you can't make it out. They do seem to successfully be tied up, however.

We'll say Cann wakes up about now.

Alicorn
2007-11-13, 09:17 AM
Persis

"Oi, Cann!" says Persis, noticing the paladin coming to. "What all languages do you know? I know eight, and if this guy speaks any of them, he's too much of a dunce to even operate a crossbow considering we've got him all tied up and might not hurt him any more if he talks, so maybe he really doesn't."

LightBringer
2007-11-13, 09:21 AM
"Ahh good. That saves me the trouble of seeing if Cloudfoot would stump me if I tried to help him."

Rejakor
2007-11-13, 02:43 PM
Actually... you said I had to take another save for secondary unconsciousness, right? [roll0]

EDIT: I'm assuming this is drow poison? DC 13. ****. I'm out for 1d4 hours.

Cyrus112
2007-11-13, 05:02 PM
((I had forgotten bout the secondary save, lol. It is indeed Drow poison and you are out for a few hours))

((So to ret con things...))

Cann is still out. Survival check for Walker and Persis to determine if he's alive or not.

Alicorn
2007-11-13, 05:28 PM
((Does checking for a pulse/breathing really require a check? I have no ranks and have a Wis penalty, so probably better if Walker does it, if it really does.))

LightBringer
2007-11-13, 05:39 PM
I'll check him out. Then ask Cloudfoot, "You think he'll freak out so bad he'll wake up if I bite him?" :smallcool:

Alicorn
2007-11-13, 05:46 PM
Persis

"He'd probably taste awful," comments Persis, who begins looking around in the bushes under the tree for Lucky.

Rejakor
2007-11-13, 05:56 PM
Cloudfoot

Cloudfoot snorts at Walker, as if to say she'd find that pretty funny, but that Walker's not allowed to do it.

Cyrus112
2007-11-13, 06:55 PM
((I was under the impression that Drow poison puts the unlucky bastard that got hit with it (no offense Cann :smalltongue:) in a very deep sleep that could be mistaken for death unless you know what's going on *shrug* If not, nix that survival check))

Alicorn
2007-11-13, 09:30 PM
((Actually, in that case, can't I make a check to know that if he were dead his horse wouldn't be loitering around the scene?))

Cyrus112
2007-11-14, 06:55 AM
((I'll allow a sense motive check in this instance, sure.))

LightBringer
2007-11-15, 10:40 AM
Walker laughs, and nods to Cloudfoot, "I know, I know. What do you suggest then?"

Alicorn
2007-11-15, 10:51 AM
((Sense Motive 7+9=16))

Rejakor
2007-11-15, 12:23 PM
Cloudfoot

Cloudfoot gives the horsy equivalent of a shrug, as if to say what will be, will be. But, she does kind of look sideways at Persis, as if she expected that the halfling would have some kind of knowledge about things like this.

Cyrus112
2007-11-15, 02:16 PM
Persis, you can tell that he's still alive. He is just really knocked out.

Alicorn
2007-11-15, 02:18 PM
Persis

"Well, he's not dead. Walker, can you keep an eye on the drow while I get the rest of my shuteye?" asks Persis. "If Cann's not awake in the morning I guess we'll have to figure out how to wake him up, but I bet he'll come to at some point."

LightBringer
2007-11-15, 02:27 PM
"Sure no problem. Mind if I have a snack while you rest?" Walker ask with a mischieveous grin.

Alicorn
2007-11-15, 03:06 PM
Persis

"As long as you don't bite me, Cann, the horse, my pony, or the live drow, I don't care," yawns Persis.

Rejakor
2007-11-15, 03:47 PM
Oh no! You forgot to mention Lucky! He's vamp-chow!

Cyrus112
2007-11-15, 04:31 PM
((Speaking of Lucky...))

Persis, you see the rat come out of the bush and poke its head around, sniffing the air curiously. It sees you and comes over and stands on its hind legs, looking up at you.

Alicorn
2007-11-15, 04:36 PM
Persis

"Oh, hallo, Lucky," says Persis brightly. "Sorry about flinging you. I'm glad you didn't get stuck full of arrows. Here," she adds, snapping a corner off a piece of trail bread and offering it to the rat. While he nibbles on it she picks him up, and then puts him back in the compartment of her pack in which he has been living.

LightBringer
2007-11-15, 04:37 PM
"Well since you didn't specify which live Drow, I'll bite the other one. Don't worry, he'll still be alive when you wake up, and maybe a little fear will loosen their tongues."

Alicorn
2007-11-15, 04:42 PM
Persis

"Both "the" and "drow" can be plural," admonishes Persis.

LightBringer
2007-11-15, 05:32 PM
"Ahhh, to late now." Walker says with a smile. "Don't worry it'll be fine. Rest now."

Alicorn
2007-11-15, 07:34 PM
Persis

The halfling rolls her eyes and wraps herself up in her blanket with a huffy sigh, falling asleep again in short order.

Rejakor
2007-11-15, 08:22 PM
Cann of the Mist

Cann's already asleep. Looks like he'll be getting some fine shut-eye tonight. Cloudfoot gives a horsy whuff, and settles in for keeping a watch over Cann while he sleeps off whatever weird knockout drug was on the arrows.

Cyrus112
2007-11-15, 11:43 PM
The rest of the night passes without incident, and the Drow don't seem to be moving or try to escape. Everyone wakes up the next morning well rested. Especially Cann. :smalltongue:

LightBringer
2007-11-16, 09:23 AM
(PM sent)

Walker will be sure to have something nice ready for Persis for breakfast, as well as something nice for Cloudfoot, if he can find something.

Alicorn
2007-11-16, 12:55 PM
Persis

"Ooh, is that food?" asks Persis with interest, sniffing the air as she wakes up. "Non-trail-bread food? You're very handy to have around, you know," Persis tells the vampire approvingly, tucking into her meal.

Rejakor
2007-11-16, 01:33 PM
Cann of the Mist

Cann wakes up. "Wah? Whasgoingon." Cann sits up and rubs the sleep out of his eyes. Cloudfoot gives him a Look, and then fades away to the Celestial plane.

LightBringer
2007-11-16, 02:51 PM
Roasted rabbit, some berries, and some roots. Eat your fill. The closer we get to Solarian the better the rations get. Good morning Cann. Welcome back to the land of the living. Walker smiles.

LightBringer
2007-11-16, 04:54 PM
(I'll be headed out for vacation tomorrow. I'll post when I can. I'll be roaming till next weekend. :smallsmile: )

Cyrus112
2007-11-16, 07:43 PM
Persis, the two Drow are still there when you wake up in the morning, although one of them is looking at Walker in a confused sort of way.

Cann, you wake up and you see two Drow tied together in the middle of camp.

((Gonna be gone til Sunday. Feel free to interact/post actions and I'll handle things when I get back.))

Rejakor
2007-11-16, 08:14 PM
Cann of the Mist

"Drow? Land of the living?" Cann looks over at Persis, bewildered. "Do you know what's going on?"

Alicorn
2007-11-17, 10:43 AM
Persis

"Well see," says Persis around a mouthful of breakfast, "we got attacked, by those guys and the one who's dead over there, and they hit you, because I guess you're not good at getting out of the way when people shoot at you, and I guess you got poisoned, so you were waaaay out of it, but if you'd been dead Cloudfoot wouldn't have hung around, so I just went to bed and I guess Walker did some cooking and it's yummy, and now you're awake. And the drow speak some funny language we don't know, so maybe you know it, even though I speak six languages and they didn't know any of them." Persis is obviously quite put out that her skills as a polyglot are insufficient to interrogate the drow.

Rejakor
2007-11-17, 09:00 PM
Cann of the Mist

Cann mosies on over to the food. "Strange language? From what I know of the under-elves, they speak the same tongue as their above-ground brothers. I don't speak elvish, but i'd know it if I heard it." He helps himself to some of the food, and investigates the scratch under his arm. "Already healing. But i'll just help it along." A slight glow under his fingers spreads across the wound, and it closes. Cann looks up at the sky and frowns. "We're still a couple days from Solarion. Lets forget these drow for now, and get going. They might have friends, and perhaps someone in Solarion can tell us what language they speak."

Over night's rest heal back 2 points naturally, spend 1 point of lay on hands to heal the rest.

Alicorn
2007-11-17, 09:15 PM
Persis

"What, don't you speak anything but Common? Well, Common or Elvish or Halfling or Draconic or Gnome or Dwarven. Since that's what I tried. And we can't just forget them. They attacked us. We could kill them, I guess, if we can't make them tell us why."

Rejakor
2007-11-18, 12:10 AM
Cann of the Mist

Cann raises his eyebrows at the halfling. "Killing prisoners out of hand?" He shakes his head. "No, I meant bring them along with us to Solarion, and see if we could find someone who spoke their language there. I studied Celestial, the tongue of gods and angels, as all Fists of the Arcanix are expected to learn, and also Ancient Alerian. Eruditio est crepido te as arma."

Knowledge is the basis of power. Spoken in ancient alerian, it is the motto of the Fists of the Arcanix, the paladin order Cann belongs to.

Alicorn
2007-11-18, 10:54 AM
Persis

"Bring them with? Oh, no, that's an awful idea," objects Persis. "They'll slow us down, they might escape and kill us in our sleep, their friends could turn up and spring them and then kill us in our sleep, and I can think of about three hundred ways the Solarion-ites might misinterpret our walking into town with a couple drow in tow. Why don't you try your languages and if they don't work we'll take it from there."

Rejakor
2007-11-19, 12:00 AM
Cann of the Mist

"My languages? I don't see why a dark elf would speak the tongue of gods and angels, or a dusty language used only by scholars... but very well." Cann turns to the captives. <Celestial><Do you understand me?>. He pauses, as if summoning up the phrases from some lost memory. <Ancient Alerian> "Dost thou understand me?>

Cyrus112
2007-11-19, 10:11 AM
Cann, when you address them in Solarion, one of them talks, but in Ancient Alerian. Persis, you would recognize this as the same phrase that was being said yesterday when you tried to question them.

"Wretched, sun-loving cretins," one spits out in a tone of venom and loathing before spitting on the ground next to him.

Rejakor
2007-11-19, 11:14 PM
Cann of the Mist

<Ancient Alerian> <I would watch my tongue, were I you, lest it trap you twixt it's forks.> Cann frowns at the drow, looking quite forbidding in his silver armour. <My companion is all for killing you where you sit, and I am of a mind to let her, if that drivel is all that is going to come from your mouth.> Cann draws his silver edged dagger, and lets it flip around his fingers. <So, what will it be?>

[roll0] - Diplomacy.

Cyrus112
2007-11-20, 11:08 AM
"Rather death than life at the hands of one like you, you Arcanix sun-whore," he says, still very much angry and not at all in a reasonable mood. The other one is looking around quizzically, and every once in awhile looks at Walker in a confused sort of way.

Rejakor
2007-11-20, 04:45 PM
Cann of the Mist

Cann's hands curl around the dagger's hilt. <Ancient Alerian> <You say that, but are you ready for death? That long dark. I have heard your kind often, and all speak of darkness, but really, yo seek merely shadows. True darkness would consume your living soul, while you scream for mercy. Are you ready for that fate?"

Detect evil on them both.

[roll0] - Sense Motive on why this drow keeps looking at Walker.

[roll1] - Intimidate.

Cyrus112
2007-11-20, 05:23 PM
"Lloth will protect me," the one says, although a little more unsure of himself now.

As far as the other one looking at Walker, perhaps he's realized what Walker is and is confused as to why he's traveling with your party. Perhaps Walker said some mean things about his mother. You don't really know.

Rejakor
2007-11-21, 08:31 AM
Cann of the Mist

Cann grins, something faint and golden shining in his eyes. <Ancient Alerian> <Ah yes, Llolth, your spider goddess of darkness and pain. Well known for her compassion. And not, of course, for simply taking the screaming souls of her followers and torturing them forever in the deepest of dark hells for failing her and allowing themselves to be... captured.> Cann grins, the grin decidedly darker now, still playing with the silver dagger in his hands. <And nothing says I cannot have a little fun of my own before sending you to her.> Cann eyes the drow, looking faintly interested, a weird gleam in his eyes.

Detect evil results?

[roll0] - Intimidate.

[roll1] - Bluff. Cause Cann's not actually going to torture them to death. Maybe. Mostly. Kinda.

Cyrus112
2007-11-21, 12:17 PM
((They are very evil. I saw that detect evil before. Forgot to address it))

The drow still seems somewhat unsure but there is steel in his voice again.

"Torture seems out of place for a peacekeeper of Arcanix. Do what you must. I will not say anything. Lloth will be happy we took her secrets to the grave."

He is obviously a fanatic and he seems to be working himself into some kind of frenzy. A weird light has appeared in his eyes, but he still has made no movements to try and escape.

Cyrus112
2007-11-21, 04:03 PM
((I think this goes w/o saying, but I'm not really going to be around tomorrow. What with Turkey Day here in the States. So, break for now until either late Thursday or sometime Friday. Happy Thanksgiving everybody))

Rejakor
2007-11-21, 07:26 PM
Cann of the Mist

Cann sighs, and re-sheathes the knife. Taking a suddenly different tack, he sits down next to the drow, and taking off his helmet, runs his hand through his hair. <Ancient Alerian> <Yeah, you're right, lad. I ain't going to torture ya. I'll either let the vampire finish you off, or cart you to Solarion for a trial and then a summary execution.> Cann sighs, looking rather forlorn. <You know, sometimes I don't even know why I do this anymore. People attacking me, grand quests, the sun, the moon, gods. I'm sure you had your reasons for attacking us, but now you're going to die. And for what? To keep the sun away? What does it matter in the end? We're all just dust, after all, and fresh crops of heroes and 'monsters' will fight each other, under a light-filled sky or under a cloudy darkness. Well, i'm sorry for you, lad, but this is the end.> Cann sighs again, staring at the ground before looking up at the sky, his hand still on his head, white-golden hair lit by the firelight stark against the dark surroundings. Cann stands up and takes a few steps away from the drow, looks over at him again and grins. <When you see your mistress, tell her I said hi.> Sliding his helmet back onto his head, Cann begins walking away from the two tied up drow.

[roll0]

[roll1] - I'm not sure if this is necessary, Cann's just talking about what he feels, but in a different way than he usually would? Maybe lower the diplomacy DC if the drow fails his sense motive?

Cyrus112
2007-11-23, 07:46 PM
The Drow's grin gets even wider.

"My Mistress will reward me when I reach her," he says, this time in Undercommon for any who understand it. He keeps repeating this over and over and won't say anything else, even when talked to. The other one looks at the ground.

"In my pouch, there contains answers you're looking for," he says without raising his gaze. He seems quite subdued and regretful at his words. "I'd reach for it, but I'm all tied up."

Rejakor
2007-11-25, 01:26 AM
Cann of the Mist

Cann gives the other drow an odd look. He doesn't know what the other drow is talking about, but the look in his eyes is enough to get the gist. <It seems you have a mite more sense than your companion.> Cann looks down at the drow. There had been something odd about this one ever since he saw him. <My thanks to you.> Reaching down, Cann not ungently opens the drow's pouch and removes the contents with a gauntleted hand. He hands them to Persis, with a curt nod to the drow. "Check these for magical traps or poisons please Persis - I have no knowledge of such things." Sitting down, he regards the two drow. <Well, a fine mess. Care for a drink?> Cann proffers a skin of the ale he had intended to enjoy last night on watch to both the drow before taking a swig himself.

Alicorn
2007-11-25, 08:24 AM
Persis

"What makes you think I know anything about magic?" asks Persis. "I know how to stab stuff, how to shoot stuff, and how to do nifty things with the power of my mind - I'm not some kind of wizard. Wizards like to pretend that they use the power of their minds but tie their hands or gag them and it turns out they were only doing it with hand-waving and mumbo-jumbo after all. Well, most of them. And I certainly don't know how to check for poison. Except for exactly the same way you could do it, by, you know, touching the paper."

Rejakor
2007-11-25, 11:13 AM
Cann of the Mist

"Very well. Stand back." Gritting his teeth, Cann stands up, takes the paper, and a few steps away from the camp, unfolds it and begins to read, touching as little of it as possible with his thick chain gauntlets.

Cyrus112
2007-11-25, 12:22 PM
((Gonna retcon something here. Sorry for the delay))

As soon as you open the pouch, everything goes dark much like earlier. There's a laugh, "Stupid sun-loving curs,"and when the darkness lifts, the bag the Drow talked about is in your hand, but the Drow are gone.

Rejakor
2007-11-25, 06:37 PM
Cann of the Mist

Cann growls, and frowns, concentrating. "Darkness Damned Dark Elves!"

Detect Evil in all directions. Spot - [roll0] Listen [roll1]

Cyrus112
2007-11-25, 10:38 PM
You don't see anything Cann, and you're really not sure what happened. The Drow aren't in sight. You do, however, notice a paper in the bag you were left holding. The script is in Ancient Alerian:

"1,000 gold pieces to the man or group who brings me the head of these Wakers of the Orbs."

What follows is a detailed and highly accurate description of the three of you, as well as drawings of your faces and last known location.

Rejakor
2007-11-26, 06:33 AM
Cann of the Mist

Cann reads it incredulously. "This is a reward for our heads. One thousand gold pieces." The look of incredulousness grows. "One thousand? Cheapskates!" He crumples up the paper and tosses it over his shoulder. "I've had bigger bounties on my head from local crimelords! Ha!"

Alicorn
2007-11-26, 09:14 AM
Persis

The halfling peers at the paper. "A bounty, you say? Well, isn't that exciting! And now we know why they attacked us and that we can expect to keep on getting attacked. And that's a terrible picture of me. It doesn't even include the pretty little braids I put in my hair."

LightBringer
2007-11-26, 03:47 PM
"Mmmm, more bounty hunters huh." Walker just smiles.

Rejakor
2007-11-27, 07:16 AM
Cann of the Mist

Cann shrugs. "I was hoping for something a little more interesting." The big paladin sighs. "Oh well. Let's get moving, shall we?" Raising his hand the paladin closes his eyes gathering the light to his palm. A glowing circle of white specks encompasses his glove, and slashing it downward, a glowing line appears in the air, out of which trots a snorting Cloudfoot.

Cyrus112
2007-11-27, 08:49 AM
((Onward then?))

You all begin the somewhat long trek to Solarion, and things are going smoothly after that initial attack. And then one day...

((Listen checks everyone))

Rejakor
2007-11-27, 09:04 AM
[roll0] - Listen check. Setting?

LightBringer
2007-11-27, 09:48 AM
For Cyrus:

Listen check
Roll(1d20)+14:
19,+14
Total:33

Alicorn
2007-11-27, 10:57 AM
((Is there even a point to my making Spot or Listen checks? I have penalties to both, so I wouldn't get on a natural twenty what the others can manage with an average roll.))

Rejakor
2007-11-27, 11:13 AM
Yes, because natural 20's are auto-successes. And natural 1's are auto-failures. Simple as that. And when the DC is 40, and Persis rolls the natural 20, then we'll be like 'zomg teh persis woohoo'.

Cyrus112
2007-11-27, 11:38 AM
((It's about midday and you're walking through a wooded area. And roll anyway, Persis. You may surprise us and be the one that alerts the group :smalltongue:))

Alicorn
2007-11-27, 11:40 AM
((fine, fine. lessee. 2-3=-1. I really don't think I hear anything. I'm probably humming to myself or something.))

Cyrus112
2007-11-27, 05:41 PM
Walker and Cann hear a muffled explosion that sounded like it came from a long ways off to your right somewhere. A little bit later a few more of the noises are heard.

Rejakor
2007-11-27, 10:15 PM
Cann of the Mist

Cann raises his head as he hears a noise, what sounded like an explosion. As several more follow, he gestures and Cloudfoot leaps, off the path and through the trees. He bends down low on her back as they move through the thick foliage, dodging trees, stumps and low-lying branches with equal abandon.

[roll0]

LightBringer
2007-11-28, 11:59 AM
Walker looks over at Persis. "I guess he expects we'll just follow him?"

Alicorn
2007-11-28, 03:51 PM
Persis

"Well, if he does that would mean he would be very stupid, since normally if one goes off into the woods without informing one's companions of why, one cannot reasonably be expecting them to have supernatural knowledge of one's reasons, so why said companions would nonetheless follow one is a mystery indeed," says Persis. "Maybe he's just ditched us."

Cyrus112
2007-11-28, 05:05 PM
((Lol, Persis gets awesome points for that comment. I'm gonna wait to see what you all decide before continuing on. Cann, you may want to make a spot check (I'll add in the situational minuses)))

Rejakor
2007-11-29, 02:46 AM
Cann actually doesn't really care if you guys follow, heheheh. He's such a dashing hero.

[roll0]

Cyrus112
2007-11-29, 10:52 AM
Cann, you may not care, but your group is (as of yet) not following.

LightBringer
2007-11-29, 12:36 PM
(Lol. Sweet post Alicorn. Super :smallcool: )

Walker smiles at Persis and laughs. "You are absolutely correct. I can only imagine he heard those slightly muffled explosions I heard, but then again, he isn't right in the head. He could have just seen a rabbit, and started off after it.

It's up to you really, but if you want to follow I suggest we do it at a pace that won't get us killed." Walker looks back in Cann direction, then back to Persis.

Alicorn
2007-11-29, 01:12 PM
Persis

"Explosions? I didn't hear any explosions. We can follow him if you want. But far enough back that we won't necessarily explode too if he does."

Rejakor
2007-11-29, 02:21 PM
Cann of the Mist

Cann continues riding towards the source of the explosions at quite unsafe speeds.

LightBringer
2007-11-29, 04:33 PM
"Sounds fair enough." Walker will lead Persis in the direction of the explosions, but slow enough not to kill themselves, and far enough back not to get blown up.

Rejakor
2007-11-29, 08:51 PM
Cann of the Mist

Draw lance. Flick down visor. Power up gauntlet. Save world.

Cyrus112
2007-11-30, 09:34 AM
Cann, the trees ahead of you begin to clear out, and you see a solitary castle on a hill. You also see what appears to be a lone figure charging the castle. Explosions are going off all around the figure, but none seem to hit. Then finally one seems to hit dead on and there is a great green flash of light. The smoke and debris settle and where the rider was is a giant crater. Suddenly, there is another green flash of light and the rider is now on top of the ramparts, seemingly slaughtering people at random. Then there is another green flash of light and the rider is back down on the ground. He rides back into the trees and disappears.

((This is all a good 300 yards away))

Rejakor
2007-11-30, 08:40 PM
Cann of the Mist

Cann flicks up his visor, and raises his lance, and Cloudfoot slows her speed to a slow trot, coming to halt well outside the marks of the first explosions. "Ho the castle!" Cann yells out, looking around warily.

I assume all this happened while Cann was still riding full speed towards the castle-area? Because he wouldn't have just sat there and watched.

[roll0]

Cyrus112
2007-12-01, 11:46 AM
((Yes indeed it was))

You hear back in a very faint voice.

"Ho, rider. Stay there. We'll send some soldiers out to greet you."

Cyrus112
2007-12-01, 11:48 AM
((We'll say its about here that Persis and Walker get to the clearing.))

Persis and Walker, you exit the treeline and see large craters in the ground, and Cann standing not too far away from one of them. You also see a castle a further ways away. The gate opens and a group of riders make their way towards your group.

Rejakor
2007-12-01, 07:12 PM
Cann of the Mist

Cann sits completely still on Cloudfoot, who also doesn't move. Lance point held unwaveringly in the air, shield hanging from his arm by his side, he regards the castle with narrowed eyes. "What witchery..."

Alicorn
2007-12-01, 07:15 PM
Persis

readies an action to manifest Bolt and pull her bow if the riders threaten anyone in the party, but continues to guide Dorje forward towards where Cann is.

LightBringer
2007-12-03, 02:30 PM
Walker sits atop his mount and waits. No weapons drawn as usual.

Cyrus112
2007-12-03, 05:52 PM
It is a group of five riders that reach Cann around the same time that Persis and Walker do.

"State your business," the one at the head of the group commands abruptly and none to friendly.

"Now Gurm," another one pipes up, "that is no way to treat strangers. They didn't help that...thing. Perhaps they need a place to stay for the night." While this one seems more pleasant, there is also something odd about his demeanor. The one named Gurm just grunts and stares at the party suspiciously, waiting for an answer.

Alicorn
2007-12-03, 06:01 PM
Persis

"Oh hi," says Persis cheerily, "we're just here because we heard - well, actually, they heard, I didn't, 'cuz I was kind of humming at the time you see and my ears aren't great anyway so I just sort of believed Walker here when he said there were like explosions - so yeah, explosions, they heard explosions, and we just wanted to come see what was up because explosions aren't naturally occurring at all you see."

((Sense Motive on anything they say: 10+9=19))

Rejakor
2007-12-04, 01:01 AM
Cann of the Mist

Cann waits to see how these horsemen respond to Persis' query.

LightBringer
2007-12-04, 09:21 AM
Walker as well waits with a tight lipped smile.

LightBringer
2007-12-04, 09:23 AM
Walker as well waits with a tight lipped smile.

Cyrus112
2007-12-05, 09:30 AM
The one guard that was trying to be a little more diplomatic watches the halfling's rambling speech with a badly veiled sneer.

"The Evil Spirit is well known in these parts. You are all obviously not from around here, or you would have heard of him. For some reason unknown to us, the spirit attacks our castle. Every day. For the past two weeks or so. Those explosions you heard were our attempts to kill it somehow. It's really an ingenious work. I don't want to try and describe it to you. Perhaps you would all like to come to the castle for some refreshments?"

His contempt is tightly under control again, and he seems the soul of courtesy. The soldier with the scar on his face watches the man as he speaks, looking angrier and more uncomfortable as he goes on. Persis, something about what the man says doesn't quite ring true with you, but you can't put your finger on it.

Alicorn
2007-12-05, 06:06 PM
((Scarface = Gurm or one of the others?))

Cyrus112
2007-12-05, 08:00 PM
((scarface does = gurm but you get that not quite ringing true feeling from the one thats trying to be suave and non-condescending and not doing well at it. While Gurm doesn't look guilty exactly, he looks very uncomfortable.))

Alicorn
2007-12-05, 08:59 PM
Persis

"Gosh, that's really mysterious. You didn't put up a new wall hanging or tear down his favorite wing of the castle or anything, did you? I mean, about two weeks ago. Anything that happened more than about a month ago probably doesn't have anything to do with it. But if you did something about a couple weeks ago that might be it! Anyway, food is good. Non-trail-rations are especially good. 'Cept, you're kind of under attack, and if you don't even know why, or what the spirit dude is or what he can do, it's a little weird for you to just invite in strangers. I mean, maybe he's possessing my pony or my rat. I probably couldn't tell. It's not like Dorje or Lucky have much personality, you know, and they can't talk either, so it'd be pret-ty hard to detect. But anyway he probably isn't, and I really like food, so if you guys," she concludes, looking at Walker and Cann, "want in for refreshing fresh refreshments that's cool by me."

Rejakor
2007-12-06, 01:49 AM
Cann of the Mist

Cann grunts. It could be taken for an affirmative, or a grunt.

Cyrus112
2007-12-06, 09:01 AM
The suave-ish one opens his mouth and closes it a few times, attempting to interject during Persis' long, rambling rant but eventually gives up and rolls his eyes skyward.

"You are all welcome to stay for a day or two if you would like," Gurm speaks up again, a little more at ease now. "The Baron would be happy to have guests. It has been awhile since we've had any. If you'll follow us. And please don't make any sudden, threatening movements. We have archers and spellcasters that are very on edge at the moment, and I imagine that they'll be watching you closely. I don't in any way mean this as a threat, just some friendly advice. It would not be very hospitable of us to kill people we just invited into the castle. By the Gods, the extra rumors that would start circulating would not be a good thing."

The suave one gives Gurm a penetrating look. He says nothing and the group turns around and begins to ride towards the castle.

Rejakor
2007-12-06, 10:17 AM
Cann of the Mist

Cann shrugs and follows, Cloudfoot cantering daintily along the stones.

LightBringer
2007-12-06, 03:35 PM
Walker has no issues with letting Persis take the lead for awhile. It is quite entertaining. He follows along behind her, keeping watch to make sure no one tries to take her out.

Cyrus112
2007-12-07, 09:00 PM
As you all walk through the gates, you get a lot of nervous, suspicious glances from the people walking around. All of the soldiers dismount at the foot of the steps leading up into the main building (I forget the technical name for it). You all notice that halfway between the entrance and the main building lies a very elegant looking stone tower that spirals into high into the sky, almost above the main building itself. Gurm and the suave one escort you all to the throne room. A man sits on the throne, smiling in a dreamy, content sort of way.

"Ah, Gurm, Parker, who do you bring to see me today?"

Gurm clears his throat and speaks up, "Travelers, Baron Vidale. I think they may be curious about that spirit, although I'm not sure."

The Baron brightens up, "Ah well, if they could help us out, that would be so nice. I believe we'd even be able to pay them. My advisor could inform them better than I. He was the one that recovered the family heirloom a few weeks back. So nice of him . Now, where did Xarlon get to?"

"Right here, Baron," comes a voice from behind you as a middle aged man with gray in his hair walks into the throne room. He looks at the group suspciously before standing slightly behind the Baron's right shoulder. "To what do we owe this honor?"

LightBringer
2007-12-10, 09:14 AM
Walker almost smiles as he can hear Persis' answer. He settles for an inward chuckle. :smallamused:

Alicorn
2007-12-10, 09:43 AM
Persis

"Oh, you owe this honor - and what an honor it is since we're all so honorable and important and whatnot as you obviously know since you already thought it was an honor - to there having been some explosions and us wanting to know what was up and these folks," - she waves at the riders who greeted them - "having ever so kindly, except for the part where they were talking about how if we made any sudden moves we might get shot, invited us in for food. I like food. Don't you?" She smiles brightly. "I also like money. If you want to pay us to do something I'm all ears. Well, not all ears. That would make it difficult for me to do anything worth paying me for, if I were composed entirely of ears. But, I'll pay attention!"

Cyrus112
2007-12-11, 07:48 PM
The Baron sits in rapt attention, smiling in a benign, foolish, air-headed fashion.

"Indeed," he says and then nods. "Although for the life of me, I can't think of why we'd want to shoot you."

The man dressed in red robes rolls his eyes skyward in a very "Why me?" kind of fashion before speaking up.

"That was certainly...eloquent, to say the least. It is true, over the past weeks, we've had some problems with a certain figure, apparently some kind of vengeful spirit, although for the life of me, I don't know why he's vengeful and mad at the castle. This is a very small, out of the way hamlet. Nothing important happens here. The Barons of this land have always treated their people kindly. If you could but observe the spirit next time he calls, and he will, that would be great. You can decide from there whether you'd like to help or not. We're more than willing to pay you for your troubles."

"Xarlon," the Baron pipes up, hopeful sounding, "you wouldn't happen to have my heirloom on hand, would you? It makes me ever so happy to hold that round thing in my hands. I think it enjoys it, too."

"Baron, I'm still examining it. I don't know what it can or can't do or if it's been rigged as an assassination attempt on your person. Until I'm certain it's safe, you shouldn't be holding it."

The Baron looks slightly pouty, but says nothing.

Alicorn
2007-12-11, 08:06 PM
Persis

"But if he's held it before it must be safe. I mean, he seems... okay..." says Persis dubiously, looking at the baron. "Well, in good health at any rate! Do you think somebody might have gotten at it since then? And done something to it? Oh! You know what I can do? I can find stuff out about stuff. It's really cool. I'd do it for your thing if you want to see if anybody's been messing with it. And also look at the spirit dude when he shows up next, to see what he's up to."

Rejakor
2007-12-11, 11:23 PM
Cann of the Mist

Cann listens, quietly and waits. Silence has made many a fool give up more information than would have been wise, although Persis makes such machinations all but impossible. He permits himself an inward chuckle, and then resumes watching the baron and his comical advisor.

Cyrus112
2007-12-12, 01:44 AM
There seems to be a harried, frustrated look to Xarlon's features.

"No, that's quite alright. I've been alive nearly a century. I don't need help from some half-witted halfling with the heirloom. Just help us take care of this spirit...thing."

The Baron looks at Xarlon.

"Xarlon, where is Kokusho? He was my closest bodyguard. I haven't seen him around lately."

Xarlon's eyes squint a little as his pupils dart around the room. He licks his lips nervously. "You sent him on a quest, Baron. To track down those who attacked our lands those weeks ago."

The Baron looks upset. It's almost comical how childlike this grown man has been acting. It's also kind of...odd. "If you say so Xarlon. I miss him, that's all. He's been looking after me since I was all of five you know."

Rejakor
2007-12-12, 04:55 AM
Cann of the Mist

Cann narrows his eyes.

Is the Xarlon guy lying about the 'thing' and the bodyguard?

[roll0]

Cyrus112
2007-12-12, 10:51 AM
((*Twitch twitch* Always with the low rolls >.< For once I'd like my party to be hoodwinked :smalltongue:))

Something does seem a bit off with Xarlon and his speech. You get the feeling he's not telling the entire truth about the bodyguard or the heirloom.

LightBringer
2007-12-12, 11:32 AM
Walker remains quite. He prefers to watch the other guards and/or servents in the room to see their reactions to the Baron and his 'advisor'. Walker will of course attempt to not be obvious about it.

Cyrus112
2007-12-12, 09:36 PM
All of the guards in the room (the group that escorted you in has left) have helmets on and you can't see their expressions. Any servants that come into the room avoid looking at Xarlon as much as possible.

Alicorn
2007-12-13, 09:34 AM
Persis

"I am not a halfwit," says Persis indignantly. "I'm very smart. I can do awesome things with the power of my mind. And even if I were a halfwit it would not be nice to call me one. Why are you so rude? Mr. Baron, sir," she says, addressing the baron directly, "if your friend here lets me have a look at your pretty thing, I might be able to figure out stuff about it and that would let you get it back sooner. Wouldn't that be nice?"

Cyrus112
2007-12-13, 11:40 AM
The Baron looks from Xarlon to Persis before speaking.

"This spirit thing is kind of important right now. I'm sure if you take care of the spirit thing problem, Xarlon wouldn't mind at all if you looked at the orb. Isn't that right, Xarlon?"

Xarlon's jaw clenches, "Yes sir."

Alicorn
2007-12-13, 12:08 PM
Persis

"Wow, is he going to attack again in the next half hour or so? 'Cause it wouldn't even take me that long. I mean, if he might show up in the next half hour then I guess it makes good sense for me not to be in the middle of anything. Except maybe eating. We were offered food. But I mean, he was here just a little while ago, and I heard he was attacking every day, which I guess could mean more than once a day, but if it did, it would really be too imprecise, especially if we're supposed to help you and really ought to know everything possible. Has he ever shown up more than once in a day? If he hasn't it'd probably be fine for me to just take a half hour to help you with the other thing. Since it's usually safe to assume that unless something's changed stuff will continue to go on as it has."

Cyrus112
2007-12-14, 02:15 AM
"it's hard to say when he'll attack, rambling little halfling," Xarlon says. "He usually attacks at dawn and dusk, and sometimes in between. We're not sure when the next attack will be."

The Baron speaks up.

"These people seem trustworthy, but I won't trust them near my heirloom until they completely earn my trust. Help us with this spirit and you'll have proven your trust-worthyness."

Rejakor
2007-12-14, 07:40 AM
Cann of the Mist

"Spirit?" Cann rumbles in his deep voice. "Unless you have angered a powerful mage, spirits do what they do for reasons of their own. From what I have witnessed with my own eyes, it is unstoppable by normal means. Your entire castle's complement of armsmen, and whatever, or whoever, was causing those blasts didn't even seem to slow it down." Cann shakes his head. "No, we had best find out why it is coming after you, and see if we can stop it that way." He turns his head towards Xarlon. "Have your divinations determined if it is Fey?"

How/What is going on with the fey? They survive in close symbiosis with the wildlife and animals, the Courts would have taken a strong hit from the loss of the sun, and subsequent death and destruction of the forests and wild animals.

LightBringer
2007-12-14, 09:58 AM
Walker still remains silent. He focuses all his energy on keeping from laughing out loud at Xarlon, and the fits Persis is causing him.

Cyrus112
2007-12-14, 10:34 AM
Xarlon shrugs, "I haven't the slightest clue. I recovered the Baron's heirloom and shortly after the spirit started attacking. And don't think our attacks haven't worked. Those long range blasts, if any hit, slow it down some. When we get in close, magic seems to be more effective than weaponry, which is probably why it chooses to only incapacitate guards and tear our resident mages in training to pieces. When it takes enough damage, it retreats to the forest. I have no idea where's it hideout is, though. It's maddening."

Alicorn
2007-12-14, 01:19 PM
Persis

"It started attacking right after you recovered the heirloom? That sounds like maybe they've got something to do with each other. Maybe it thinks the heirloom is tacky. Where did you find it? Maybe it was using it for a paperweight and wants it back."