PDA

View Full Version : Puzzle Quest

WampaX
2007-03-27, 09:21 AM
Bejewled + turn based + special abilities and equipment . . .
so far, a thing of beauty.

Other thoughts?

Om
2007-03-28, 05:56 AM
Tycho (http://www.penny-arcade.com/) seems to like it (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic). That's all I know

WampaX
2007-03-28, 12:09 PM
I, too, was ensnared by its glistening claws last night . . . though I did keep the light on while I played.

And no wonder I can't find obscure games I want . . . they keep shipping them back to the manufacturer once I find out they've been released. :smallannoyed:

kuja.girl
2007-03-28, 12:20 PM
My friend called me up last night - she was trying to find a store with a DS and Puzzle Quest still in stock, planing to purchase both.

Well, now I know what we'll be doing this weekend if she finds them.

What do you mean WampaX? Was there a recall?

WampaX
2007-03-28, 02:00 PM
What do you mean WampaX? Was there a recall?

Taken from the Penny-Arcade newspost for 3/28/07:

I talked to a friend of mine who was trying to obtain the game yesterday, in the frigid Northlands which men call Canadon. She told me that the EB she'd gone to had just boxed up their copies and sent them back to corporate. The game shipped on the twentieth, and was available for purchase on the twenty-first. This means that the local shop carried the game for a total of five days before it was considered a failure. As gamers, we often lay blame for the sometimes staid and timid selection on the retail shelf at the feet of publishers. I wonder if they actually have a choice.

I found my copy at Best Buy, by the way.

kuja.girl
2007-03-28, 02:49 PM
My god. That is ridiculous. Thank god for ebay and amazon I suppose : \
I wonder if the copies weren't pulled for another reason (i.e. a larger branch ran out of copies.)...

hrm... here on the West Coast we have a video rental chain called "Hollywood Video." A few years ago they started adding video game stores (game crazy (http://www.gamecrazy.com/Default.aspx)) to their rental stores. I've only had good experiences with them and then carry old Sega, NES and SNES games and controllers, something the EB chains almost never have.

Dang it - how did "cooking mama" remain on the shelf longer than Puzzle Quest?

edit: my friend up yesterday to tell me that she'd bought a DS but couldn't find a copy of Puzzle Quest. She'd already hit like 3 stores looking for the DS, so I looked for PQ locally - no luck. She went to another Best Buy and found 2 copies and bought both - one for me too!
As to why EB/Game Stop is out of PQ, I got this answer from a cleric:
"It's really popular and they didn't ship enough. We're getting 1 copy in later this week, and no we don't do rain-checks."
Well they just lost a sale from me!

neriana
2007-03-30, 08:46 PM
I wonder if the copies weren't pulled for another reason (i.e. a larger branch ran out of copies.)...

From experience working at EB, I'm sure that's what happened. The computerized system requested that the store not selling any copies send some copies back to corporate to be shipped to another store that needed them. The person who was supposed to pull copies, being not exactly bright, pulled as many copies as the computer printout said to, instead of just pulling a couple and saving the rest for her store. The computerized system is not reliable, and managers/assistant managers are supposed to use their own judgment when pulling stuff. Obviously that store had someone in charge whose judgment was not so great.

ETA: The demo is awesomeness. I ordered the game from Amazon, since I have got to finish Final Fantasy III before starting something else, and this will give me a couple weeks to do so.

triforcel
2007-03-30, 08:56 PM
I've only played the demo for it, and I would really like to get it but right now the money just isn't there for it to happen.

ZebulonCrispi
2007-03-30, 11:39 PM
Having played the demo, the biggest thing that strikes me about the game is that it desperately needs the ability to see the next few rows of incoming blocks. The randomness of the new blocks that fall in turns a game of skill into a game of a dangerously high amount of luck.

Aside from that, I can definitely see myself getting addicted to this.

Arlanthe
2007-04-01, 02:41 AM
The demo was indeed awesome- you can download it on Fileplanet.

I like the risk/luck/danger of playing near the top crow. It adds an elementsnof surprise.

WampaX
2007-04-02, 10:01 AM
Having played the demo, the biggest thing that strikes me about the game is that it desperately needs the ability to see the next few rows of incoming blocks. The randomness of the new blocks that fall in turns a game of skill into a game of a dangerously high amount of luck.

Aside from that, I can definitely see myself getting addicted to this.

Luck, yes, if you just randomly make connections on the board and don't worry about the new blocks.

Last night, I did the first siege and had to fight an opponent that could do 10+ damage to me in one three skull block AND had almost 4x my HPs AND could block 3 damage off any attack that did over 5. Suffice to say, I was very careful to notice where new pieces would be falling. I only allowed one or two new falls that resulted in me taking damage, just because I couldn't make any other moves on the board.

Very enjoyable game so far . . . the capture puzzles and the research puzzles are a welcome change from the battles

kuja.girl
2007-04-02, 01:01 PM
It's addicting and fun. Not a perfect game or an amazing game, but one that you can easily waste hours and hours on. The "quest" is hilarious - it falls into the "it's so bad it's good" category and includes gems of dialog such as "Shut up sorcerer."
I've already found a bug (I broke the menu) the 2nd day of play...
Multiplayer is fun though :D

Krade
2007-04-06, 12:49 PM
I had no trouble finding a copy and I live in a place where it's hard to find anything most of the time.

So far it has been fun playing. I had to do the advanced training four times before I beat it. I don't think it's really supposed to be that hard. Maybe I just suck.