PDA

View Full Version : Inkscape driving me crazy

zainan
2007-03-27, 11:02 AM
Hi all. I can not figure out for the life of me how to convert an Inkscape .svg to a .jpg or .gif. I read on here somewhere that Inkscape will save files as .pgn, but it doesn't with my current version. I also read that you could use ImageMagic, so I downloaded it, and it is all greek to me. Is there any easy way?

Ava
2007-03-27, 11:34 AM
I couldn't figure it out either... so I opt for the Alt-PrtScn and CTRL-V into MS Paint option. :)

zainan
2007-03-27, 12:04 PM
That worked great for me. Thanks!

Captain van der Decken
2007-03-27, 12:28 PM
Just File>Export/Shift+Ctrl+E. If you're version doesn't have that, you're probably using the wrong one. :tongue:

Bryn
2007-03-27, 03:04 PM
Export>Bitmap outputs as png though: that would normally be fine, but the OP specified jpeg or gif. Therefore, open up either the svg or the png in, say, the GIMP and re-save it as whatever you want. This can also be useful when you need to add effects or if the anti-aliasing is not strong enough.

Captain van der Decken
2007-03-27, 03:09 PM
I read on here somewhere that Inkscape will save files as .pgn, but it doesn't with my current version.

Well, assuming .pgn is a typo of .png, the OP's looking for that too. But GIMP is probably a good idea.

Bryn
2007-03-27, 03:18 PM
Ah... My mistake, sorry.

Calamity
2007-03-27, 04:40 PM
Some other drawing programs can convert .png's to jpeg's and the like. And you can add those extra finishing touches that are too hard to do on Inkscape. I use Paint.NET for these things. Is that what you're trying to say? to convert it to something other than png?

Ego Slayer
2007-03-27, 05:02 PM
I think s/he was possibly referring to jpg and gif for image hosting reasons?

And, mygawd... what version of Inky do you have? Just download the current if Decken's/Z-Axis's instructions don't apply.

Please, people, stop turning vector are into pixels... it's... making firbolg catgirl sad!:smallfrown::smalltongue:

zainan
2007-03-27, 05:25 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. I needed it as either gif or jpg to post it. (I am an EMT and wanted it for my service's online newsletter) The export bitmap is what I went with. I was able to convert it to jpg using PaintShop Pro. Thanks again everyone.

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2007-04-04, 04:28 PM
You can actually, in the export menu, change it from "yourname.bmp" to "yourname.jpg" or ".png" and it will export in the specified format.

Castaras
2007-04-04, 04:34 PM
You can actually, in the export menu, change it from "yourname.bmp" to "yourname.jpg" or ".png" and it will export in the specified format.

Mine automatically exports as a .png...

Calamity
2007-04-04, 04:36 PM
Mine does that too.

DarkCorax
2007-04-05, 04:54 AM
Same I end up with yourname.jpg.png.

Edit: No I don't; it works on the new version of inkscape.

Edit2: Thats interesting, the file name says it is a .jpg, but it has the properties of a .png, Transparency ect...

Peregrine
2007-04-14, 12:56 AM
Edit2: Thats interesting, the file name says it is a .jpg, but it has the properties of a .png, Transparency ect...

That's because it is a PNG. You can call it filename.jpg, but it won't be a JPEG. You can call it filename.mp3, but it won't be an MP3. You can call it filename.billiondollars, but it won't be a billion dollars. :smallbiggrin:

When Aereshaa said you can change the filename and it'll change the output type, I think s/he may have been confused with GIMP. GIMP is indeed (a) able to save to many different formats, while Inkscape can only export to PNG, and (b) clever enough to guess what you want from the extension you use. Otherwise, the extension is just a name.

Please, people, stop turning vector are into pixels... it's... making firbolg catgirl sad!:smallfrown::smalltongue:

Well, you kind of have to in order to display it online... at least until SVG support is better and more widespread.

No, the real travesty here is that people keep turning cartoony art into JPEGs!! Stop it! You're making my brain hurt! :smallyuk: :smallwink: JPEGs are designed for photos. If you apply them to stick figures, with their solid colours and distinct outlines, you will get a blurred result and you will NOT get an appreciably smaller file, if it's smaller at all!

Calamity
2007-04-22, 10:02 AM
No, the real travesty here is that people keep turning cartoony art into JPEGs!! Stop it! You're making my brain hurt! :smallyuk: :smallwink: JPEGs are designed for photos. If you apply them to stick figures, with their solid colours and distinct outlines, you will get a blurred result and you will NOT get an appreciably smaller file, if it's smaller at all!

Actually JPEGs are the smallest of the common files, followed closely by GIFs (If you reduce the quality). I've tried all the uploadable files on this site and JPEGs are the smallest.

Peregrine
2007-04-22, 11:11 AM
Actually JPEGs are the smallest of the common files, followed closely by GIFs (If you reduce the quality). I've tried all the uploadable files on this site and JPEGs are the smallest.

How many different images did you test? What quality settings did you use on the JPEG and PNG? What kind of dithering, if any, was applied to the GIF? :smalltongue:

JPEG is a 'lossy' format; it discards some information to make a smaller file. The intention is that the information it discards will be difficult for the eye to notice... but this only holds true on photographic images. It's very easy to see the difference on stick figures and other images with solid colours and clear outlines, except maybe at the highest quality levels.

So yes, a JPEG can usually be made smaller than any other format, but you'll see the difference. That, not file size, is why I say don't use JPEGs for stick figures; file size is a mere incidental that's usually in favour of PNG or GIF.

And on comparable quality settings, PNGs typically outperform GIFs. (Not all the time of course, but typically.) I say comparable quality settings because PNGs can achieve a quality level that's simply impossible for GIFs -- they're limited to using a small number of colours per image. So a PNG that preserves more quality than a GIF will probably be larger, but it'll look better. You won't get spots or bands of colour.

And at the end of the day, stick figures are so small that the difference is irrelevant -- a couple of kilobytes, usually. I'd like to test on something more interesting, like an OotS comic, but I wouldn't be allowed to post the resulting images. Maybe I'll do it anyway and post the numbers.

Calamity
2007-04-22, 04:53 PM
I tested it on my comic too. I used the setting on the GIFs and PNGs that would reduce the size the most. I tried all other formats that were internet friendly. JPEG came out smaller than ALL of them, and was the only one that didn't exceed the smackjeeves limit.