PDA

View Full Version : Having six 8s as stat...

With a box
2014-12-08, 08:58 AM
What class would good for it?
Obviously no spellcaster (not enough spellcasting stat)

mealin
2014-12-08, 09:04 AM
Warlock is the least stat dependant class, just pick utility invocations and blast shapes

Uncle Pine
2014-12-08, 09:06 AM
Definitely warlock: as it only does touch attacks and touch ACs tend to be really low, you could probably roll one with 3 on all the stats and still outdamage a straight monk.
Also, commoner: because commoners are either awesome or terrible regardless their ability scores.

eggynack
2014-12-08, 09:11 AM
Yes spellcaster, and that spellcaster is a druid. Animal companions and wild shape both offer stat arrays completely independent of your starting array, thus allowing access to the traditional tier 3+5 combo even without spell access, and having only one stat to boost, wisdom, means that you can boost it pretty far. (Dragonborn) anthropomorphic bat immediately pulls you out of this wisdom hole, granting full and easy access to spells across all levels, and even something like a middle aged lesser aasimar gets you to 11, which means full spell access at every level apart from level three.

Other casters are in the same boat as you, meaning that either you're a tier three in a world where that's just about the maximum available, or you're a tier one in a relatively normal world, depending on race availability. Of course, the simple passing of game-time will eventually solve this problem for you, race or no. By level four you should already be running at least first level spells, spending a stack of cash on a +2 periapt, and you can push that to +4 by level seven. Those numbers can be pushed down by picking up craft wondrous, and it's a very advisable move. Whatever else happens, you'll be running an incredibly high quantity of magic relative to whatever else is going on, and that's in combination with normal druid stuff, which is amazing.

toapat
2014-12-08, 09:12 AM
Definitely warlock: as it only does touch attacks and touch ACs tend to be really low, you could probably roll one with 3 on all the stats and still outdamage a straight monk.
Also, commoner: because commoners are either awesome or terrible regardless their ability scores.

built right, a commoner can fight tanks with all 8s, and win.

And i dont mean RPG style ones, i mean the big, heavy ones that delete buildings and enemy formations with their main cannons

ericgrau
2014-12-08, 09:22 AM
At low level you'll miss even on touch attacks though. With such a low dex that doesn't go away until about level 12-14. I'd pick a race with a +2 in a mental, put your gear and +1 every level into that same mental, then be a caster. Pick spells that don't have a save and it's not a problem at all to cast. I take many of those spells anyway even if I do have a decent mental stat. It's still hard to play with your pathetic hp, but that was going to be a problem anyway. Become undead or load up on false life, heart of earth, ironward diamonds and so on.

Amphetryon
2014-12-08, 09:30 AM
Druid -> Master of Many Forms. Take a small race, a Riding Dog (trained for war), and invest in some Riding skills. Either you'll be dexterous enough to have some minor use from your ranged capability, or have just enough CON (and base HP) for survivability in conjunction with your Mount/AC being the primary combatant.

Darrin
2014-12-08, 09:37 AM
Swiss Army Blowtorch: Dragonfire Adept + Full Plate + Tower Shield.

dysprosium
2014-12-08, 09:40 AM
I bet you could roll with a Binder even with all 8s.

eggynack
2014-12-08, 09:50 AM
Druid -> Master of Many Forms. Take a small race, a Riding Dog (trained for war), and invest in some Riding skills. You'll be either dexterous enough to have some minor use from your ranged capability, or have just enough CON (and base HP) for survivability in conjunction with your Mount/AC being the primary combatant.
A good option also, as form swapping tends to be solid when your own form is a pile o' crap, though I'm inclined to think that going after that sweet druid casting is more powerful, even if it might be difficult to get there. You wind up behind at a few levels, but as is so often the case, casting is better than not casting.

Chronos
2014-12-08, 11:46 AM
If you're writing off the casting as a loss, then wildshape ranger would be a better base than druid for Master of Many Forms. That way, you get more BAB and skill points.

eggynack
2014-12-08, 12:06 PM
If you're writing off the casting as a loss, then wildshape ranger would be a better base than druid for Master of Many Forms. That way, you get more BAB and skill points.
Sounds about right. 3rd's are usually enough to make a druid base better, but if you're not even getting those, then the ranger has a clear advantage. If you're starting at level one though, then the animal companion could potentially be enough to swing the comparison back around. The wild shape ranger has limited game impact until he hits 5 under the best of circumstances, and these circumstances are far from those.

Fouredged Sword
2014-12-08, 12:43 PM
Sounds about right. 3rd's are usually enough to make a druid base better, but if you're not even getting those, then the ranger has a clear advantage. If you're starting at level one though, then the animal companion could potentially be enough to swing the comparison back around. The wild shape ranger has limited game impact until he hits 5 under the best of circumstances, and these circumstances are far from those.

Level one can be survived with the wild cohort and Shape soulmeld (asteral vembraces) feats on a human. You get an animal companion and DR 4/magic. Just about any chassis can survive level one just by picking the right feats.

eggynack
2014-12-08, 12:45 PM
Level one can be survived with the wild cohort and Shape soulmeld (asteral vembraces) feats on a human. You get an animal companion and DR 4/magic. Just about any chassis can survive level one just by picking the right feats.
It's survivable, possibly, but it's significantly less good. Which means, of course, that it just might not be survivable, depending on how strong your opponents are for those four levels.

Fouredged Sword
2014-12-08, 12:48 PM
It's survivable, possibly, but it's significantly less good. Which means, of course, that it just might not be survivable, depending on how strong your opponents are for those four levels.

Eh, most CR 1 encounters are fairly capped for damage. Not much has magic and a LOT of stuff is capped at 1d4 damage. That wild cohort is a riding dog, so it can fight pretty well.

Yes, druid would be better as you could start with 2 riding dogs, but I got to assume you are still in a party or at least facing encounters built for 1 character.

eggynack
2014-12-08, 12:53 PM
Eh, most CR 1 encounters are fairly capped for damage. Not much has magic and a LOT of stuff is capped at 1d4 damage. That wild cohort is a riding dog, so it can fight pretty well.

Yes, druid would be better as you could start with 2 riding dogs, but I got to assume you are still in a party or at least facing encounters built for 1 character.
This isn't just level one. The wild shape ranger is pretty useless all the way until level five, while the druid is running a significantly better companion than the wild cohort, especially if they pick up a fleshraker.

Snowbluff
2014-12-08, 01:18 PM
Swiss Army Blowtorch: Dragonfire Adept + Full Plate + Tower Shield.

1d4/2 isn't very good. And you have to be closer to your target. I'm not even sure you could lift 50 lbs full plate and 45 lbs of tower shield at 8 strength.

Chronos
2014-12-08, 01:24 PM
What's 1d4/2? Dragonfire adepts do 1d6, and that is actually pretty useful (at first level, at least) when you're doing it in an area of effect.

Inevitability
2014-12-08, 02:06 PM
Simply be a Shadow (monster class). The first few levels of your career can be filled with strength-draining or Ghostly Grasping low-level monsters to death. When there is something that can hurt you, sic a fighter on it and run like hell. Then, at level 6 you can turn your slain foes into other shadows, who can turn others into shadows, who can turn others into shadows... well, I think you get what I mean.

An army of incorporeal strength-draining undead, odd as they may be, are strong enough to kill most of the MM by themselves. The only thing you need is a straight wizard cohort and you are good to go.

Sartharina
2014-12-08, 02:11 PM
Simply be a Shadow (monster class).You can't be a Shadow, because that only has four 8's, instead of a full six 8s.

Snowbluff
2014-12-08, 02:34 PM
What's 1d4/2? Dragonfire adepts do 1d6, and that is actually pretty useful (at first level, at least) when you're doing it in an area of effect.

1d6/2. Sorry. People will rarely be failing your save. It's not even enough to kill most grunts. Kobolds have 4 HP, so you have like 25% chance to kill one.

Inevitability
2014-12-08, 02:35 PM
You can't be a Shadow, because that only has four 8's, instead of a full six 8s.

Darn it.

I guess it's down the evil path of Diplomancy then. -1 charisma stings, but you should be able to boost Diplomacy high enough to offset this. From then on, you just go around nonmagically charming world leaders, archmages, and retired adventurers into giving you stuff and completing your quests.

eggynack
2014-12-08, 02:46 PM
You can't be a Shadow, because that only has four 8's, instead of a full six 8s.
As is typically the case with these sorts of things, it's not clear that that matters. In particular, does the challenge start you out with six 8's, as an array, or do you still need six 8's after you pick a race, or do you still need six 8's after your first class level, or do you need to maintain it for the rest of your life? Depending on when the restrictions lift, various options are altered in their utility.

nedz
2014-12-08, 04:21 PM
Bard can work. You won't get spells but you will have music and reasonable skill points.

Monk — you won't notice the difference at least. :smallbiggrin:

Troacctid
2014-12-08, 05:10 PM
I like Dragonfire Adept. The chassis is better than Warlock, so it's like you're getting a free +2 Con (bigger hit die) and +4 Int (more skill points). With Entangling Exhalation, you don't really care if they make the save against your breath weapon as long as you deal at least 1 point of damage, so losing a few points on the DC isn't the end of the world.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-08, 05:17 PM
Truenamer? If Item Familiar is allowed, you won't notice the hit to your Truespeech checks, especially if you're clever with your targeting. When you don't want to use an utterance, just throw splash weapons; touch attacks aren't hard to miss (at 1st level you'll probably miss a bit more than half the time, and it just goes up from there), and even if you do miss you still at least do a little damage.

Ruethgar
2014-12-08, 05:45 PM
Forest Gnome with 2 flaws for three iterations of Animal Friends. You could be broken and pick vipers for a pretty much 100% chance to kill anything with less than +10 fort. But I would go with the above suggestions and get you some war trained riding dogs. As to class, who cares as long as you get handle animal and take 10 for 3 more dogs. :smallbiggrin:

I would say that druids are the best for an all 8s character, but DFA's and Warlocks aren't really hurt that much by it. Also the ghost class, because telekinesis is always good. As to the race, Anthropomorphic Raven is better than bat unless your DM rules that you keep the bat's senses. Muckdweller(for automatic blindness to anything that gets near you) is another good race.

JDL
2014-12-08, 05:49 PM
Monk — you won't notice the difference at least. :smallbiggrin:

Damn, beat me to it.:smalltongue:

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-08, 05:50 PM
I now want to see the following party:

Forest Gnome Druid
Anthropomorphic Raven Warlock
Anthropomorphic Bat Dragonfire Adept
Muckdweller Truenamer

All with 8s for their starting ability scores.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-12-08, 05:53 PM
1d6/2. Sorry. People will rarely be failing your save. It's not even enough to kill most grunts. Kobolds have 4 HP, so you have like 25% chance to kill one.

Unless I am mistaken you can drop Ability Focus on it to boost the ol' DC. Not optimal, but neither is (IIRC) illegally low stats.

eggynack
2014-12-08, 05:56 PM
As to the race, Anthropomorphic Raven is better than bat unless your DM rules that you keep the bat's senses.
The whole anthro bat versus anthro raven thing is weird, as bats are clearly and obviously better by the table, while ravens have an advantage based on how the race is claimed to work. The general rule is that text trumps table, which would edge things towards the raven, but I can't help but think that the text never specifically calls out the functioning of particular races, while the table does. It just creates a general guideline for how these things work, while the table could potentially be overriding that with a stack of particular cases.

TypoNinja
2014-12-09, 01:59 AM
Unless I am mistaken you can drop Ability Focus on it to boost the ol' DC. Not optimal, but neither is (IIRC) illegally low stats.

You know I hadn't even thought of that till you brought it up. I don't think I've ever seen somebody roll up an illegal character in more than a dozen years of D&D. It just never happens.

Hand_of_Vecna
2014-12-09, 02:29 AM
Artificer is alo worth a mention. You won't be able to use Infusions until you have mid level stat boosts and you'll need to invest more than the standard amount of resources into your UMD check, but you'll still be able to use superior wblmancy.

Inevitability
2014-12-09, 02:40 AM
Also an option, just buy a few dozen dogs with your starting money and sic them at everything that breathes.