PDA

View Full Version : Building a Cleric with no feats

Aximili
2007-03-27, 12:44 PM
Hello to all,
I've been thinking of a cleric as a possible future character. He would be a bon vivant and his whole purpose would be about feeling and living through everything, just like the Society of Sensation from Planar Handbook (he would not have levels in the prestige class).

The thing is, I liked the idea of the luck feats (complete scoundrel) and so I decided to spend all his feats on them. Aside from that, nothing is decided. And that's why I come to you.

Suppose you were building a cleric that had already spent all his feats. What would make him?
Buffer?
Healer?
Tank?
All of the above?

I want him to be as effective as possible, but I really don't mind if he's actually much less effective than the average cleric. I was thinking of going with cloistered cleric, but that's also not decided.

So, any ideas?:smallbiggrin:

ps:Anything helps, from entire builds to simple ideas. (Just don't try to talk me out of the luck feats)

Rahdjan
2007-03-27, 01:47 PM
If you don't mind whether he's effective or not, just pick something and go with it. Play what you want to play and not what others think you should play. Now if you said, I want to play a cleric and I want him to tank, any suggestions? Other wise just play something.

Indon
2007-03-27, 01:51 PM
So, your cleric picking the Luck domain?

I'd say that even with all your feats taken up, you can still be a fair, well-balanced cleric; a good healer and caster, and second-line meleer. You just won't really have so much ability to specialize in any of them. Sounds like a cool idea, in fact.

Quietus
2007-03-27, 01:55 PM
I'd go with the cloistered cleric and go pure spellcaster. The main strength of a melee cleric is to go clericzilla, which requires several rounds worth of buffing; Once you accomplish that, the fight should be nearly over anyway.

Aximili
2007-03-27, 02:30 PM
If you don't mind whether he's effective or not, just pick something and go with it. Play what you want to play and not what others think you should play. Now if you said, I want to play a cleric and I want him to tank, any suggestions? Other wise just play something.
Actually, I am playing what I want:smallbiggrin:. What has motivated me about this character is the story and the luck feats. Statistically he can be almost anything.

I knew I needed help when I realised I wouldn't really have feats to work with in his build (the feats are a my main focus when building a character). And also 'cause I don't have much experience with clerics.

So, your cleric picking the Luck domain?
Oh yes, forgot to mention that:smalltongue:. Definitively the luck domain. As for the second domain, I simply love Travel (for both it's powers and spells), but I'm not sure of it yet.

I'd go with the cloistered cleric and go pure spellcaster. The main strength of a melee cleric is to go clericzilla, which requires several rounds worth of buffing; Once you accomplish that, the fight should be nearly over anyway.
yeah, cloistered cleric is first on my list. Campains with my group usually require more skills than fighting prowess.

daggaz
2007-03-27, 05:19 PM

I play a dwarven melee cleric in my current eberron game. I have war and travel, using war to gain the halberd and have improved trip. As the group's only tank, I rarely had time to get more than one buff on myself (usually group AC via magic circle versus x), but I do more than enough damage to dominate the battlefield. Cast one spell, wade in, and start slaughtering enemies. It worked just fine and was a lot of fun.

Now we just got a gnome illusionist in the group, and his first move in fights is to go invis and start buffing me. So I cast divine power, and he hastes/enlarges me, and the pwning commences full throttle. Its really rather sick, the DM doesn't know whether to laugh or cry. Mostly he is just... damn, you did how much damage?

Fax Celestis
2007-03-27, 05:37 PM
I would personally say see about the Luckstealer PrC, or see about having your DM add casting progression to the Fortune's Friend PrC in exchange for a smaller HD or less attack bonus.

Flawless
2007-03-27, 09:10 PM
There is the Auspician, a luck themed cleric PrC from Faiths and Pantheons. The problem with that is you need four feats to qualify for it... What you get though is well worth it, if yor are looking for a luck based cleric.

Jack Scoundrel
2007-03-27, 09:22 PM
Umm...spell selection is the key to what role you fill. If you have a low physical stats and you stand back buffing the party, you're a buffer. If you have high physical stats and buff yourself, you're a melee machine.

For the most part without a PrC the cleric's variant comes in the form of Domains and spells. So find your favorites spells and from there you will be able to decide what you are and want to play.

Aximili
2007-03-28, 12:25 PM
Ok, I've decided for the Cloistered Cleric.
Obviously, he'll be focused on spells and skills (specially knowledge). Going WIS/INT/DEXorCAR.
So far, I'm thinking of the Contemplative PrC, but it's just because I don't know any other good one. So, if someone could shed a light at the issue, I'd apreciate ^^