PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Soulknife: Bladewind shenanigans

mabriss lethe
2014-12-08, 03:33 PM
I have a soft spot of the lowly 3.5 soulknife, and I'm always looking for new or underused ways to make them more useful. I reread it recently and really paid attention to the Bladewind entry. Before, I'd just browse through and think "meh, Whirlwind attack clone." This time something caught my eye, Bolded for emphasis.

Bladewind (Su)
At 9th level, a soulknife gains the ability to momentarily fragment his mind blade into numerous identical blades, each of which strikes at a nearby opponent.

As a full attack, when wielding his mind blade, a soulknife can give up his regular attacks and instead fragment his mind blade to make one melee attack at his full base attack bonus against each opponent within reach. Each fragment functions identically to the soulknife’s regular mind blade.

When using bladewind, a soulknife forfeits any bonus or extra attacks granted by other feats or abilities (such as the Cleave feat or the haste spell).

The mind blade immediately reverts to its previous form after the bladewind attack.

How limiting is that phrase? Here are some examples.

1. How does Bladewind interact with poison? If you apply poison to a mindblade, does each blade fragment carry the same poison?

2. What about Psychic Strike? If your mindblade has a PS charge, can you discharge it against each bladewind target in turn?