PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Trader: Any experience with Xenos?

Blackhawk748
2014-12-08, 04:43 PM
Ok, so my group is making characters for a future Rogue Trader game and as of right now the party consists of: the Rogue Trader, an Earth Caste Tau (Engineer), and a Snakebite Kommando (me), as well as a 4th player who hasnt made up his mind yet. So i was wondering if anyone has experience having Xenos on the team and what problems this can cause (despite the obvious)

Vespe Ratavo
2014-12-09, 02:58 AM
I played an Ork Mek in a Rogue Trader game, his name was Dakka. From one Ork to another: the good part about playing an Ork is that if your party is willing to put up with shenanigans (and your GM doesn't rigidly enforce ALL GRIMDARK ALL THE TIME) you will be the one who gets to do the most hilarious and audacious stunts. It's a ton of fun.

The main problem our group experienced with xenos (myself and a Kroot) is that when the party is talking, you don't really have much to do. Humans don't really want to talk to you. Our presence was tolerated once we were Sanctioned, but it was hard to contribute meaningfully while the rest of the party was negotiating or hobnobbing with nobles. This was less of a problem for the Kroot (and presumably for your Tau), and still less of a problem on the fringes of space, but an Ork can't really "turn off" his Orkiness. If you aren't fightin', pretty much the only way to roleplay is "wacky hijinks." That suited me just fine, but just be aware that being an Ork precludes your involvement in some situations. This ain't Star Wars.

angry_bear
2014-12-11, 01:14 AM
There are rules to play as xenos now? Which races are available and how well do they play compared to the human characters?

Blackhawk748
2014-12-12, 06:04 PM
There are rules to play as xenos now? Which races are available and how well do they play compared to the human characters?

Well Into the Storm has Ork Freebootas and Kroot Mercenaries. Also i believe a module has rules for Eldar and a different one has rules for Tau (Firewarrior only but its easy to just be a different carrier)

Stat wise im happy with my ork, hes absurdly durable and good ina scrap, just like youd expect, though the BS is atrocious (i get we're bad shots but 10+2d10? come on.) Into the storm gives us Mek and Kommando as Advance ranks and then the Novis Primer (i think) has the Warphead.

MachineWraith
2014-12-12, 09:39 PM
Well, from my experience as an Ork, with my brother playing a Kroot, I can say without hesitation that if they're built well they will absolutely dominate any combat encounter. Like, to a ridiculous degree. However, as mentioned, interaction with NPCs is pretty limited and gets boring for xenos really quickly.