PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Homebrew

Anderlith
2014-12-08, 06:48 PM
So for a game I'm going to be running soon I need stats for warforged as player characters.

My idea is

+2 Con
Darkvision
Elf-like Trance
Dwarven poison resistance/advantage
Proficiency with Athletics to reflect their tireless nature
One language of choice

Then their "substances" are basically chassis. Those built for battle get
+1 Str
Light & Medium Armor proficiencies

Those built for crafting & scholarly pursuits get
+1 Int
Light Armor proficiency
One tool or language

I feel like it's a bit patchy maybe even underpowered. I'd really like to add something special & unique but if I what would fit well

zeek0
2014-12-08, 06:58 PM
To compare, Mountain Dwarves get +2 Con, +2 Str, darkvision, medium armor proficiency, and poison resistance. So no, I don't believe that it is over/underpowered. Seems about right to me.

I believe that Warforged were not built for crafting, intellectual, or scholarly pursuit. After all, they were slave-warriors, not sentient beings.

Freelance GM
2014-12-08, 07:09 PM
The Warforged actually showed up in the D&D: Next playtest, where their stats were...

+1 STR, +1 CON
Composite Plating: You gain a +1 bonus to AC.
Living Construct: Even though you were constructed, you are a humanoid. You are immune to disease. You do not need to eat, drink, or breathe, but you may ingest food or drink if you wish.
Instead of sleeping, you enter a sleep-like state. You need to remain in it for only 4 hours each day. You do not dream; instead you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and events as normal.
Languages: Common, +1.

Anderlith
2014-12-08, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=zeek0;18505260

I believe that Warforged were not built for crafting, intellectual, or scholarly pursuit. After all, they were slave-warriors, not sentient beings.[/QUOTE]

Well in 3.5 they gave them a list of feats to customize the wardrobes bodies to open them to multiple builds. Also I don't see why anyone forging creatures like the warforged wouldn't also make some for other purposes such as craftsmen. A tireless mechanical man constructing other constructs & such

Durazno
2014-12-08, 07:54 PM
Also, depending on the political situation, you might now have Warforged forging other Warforged. They wouldn't be limited by their original purpose.

mr_odd
2014-12-08, 09:49 PM
I believe that Warforged were not built for crafting, intellectual, or scholarly pursuit. After all, they were slave-warriors, not sentient beings.

In his game, they can be. 5e's design does a lot to promote the DM's personal world. 3.5's design promoted set rules and set ways how things should be, which I feel has dominated the d&d gaming culture.

Shining Wrath
2014-12-08, 09:56 PM
One thing I'd suggest is to make the armor upgradeable to Mithril or Adamantine, for a price and also finding someone who is willing and able to do the work; effectively, it's a magic item.

I don't think Warforged have darkvision, it seems wrong to me.

eastmabl
2014-12-09, 12:33 AM
So for a game I'm going to be running soon I need stats for warforged as player characters.

My idea is

+2 Con
Darkvision
Elf-like Trance
Dwarven poison resistance/advantage
Proficiency with Athletics to reflect their tireless nature
One language of choice

Then their "substances" are basically chassis. Those built for battle get
+1 Str
Light & Medium Armor proficiencies

Those built for crafting & scholarly pursuits get
+1 Int
Light Armor proficiency
One tool or language

I feel like it's a bit patchy maybe even underpowered. I'd really like to add something special & unique but if I what would fit well

1.) I think the "power fist" that warforged have should make it into your build.

Proficient in its natural attack.
Natural attack does 1d4 damage + Str.
For purposes of TWF, the natural attack is treated as a light weapon.

2.) For subraces, I would use the following:

Warrior Model : +1 Str, equivalent of Chain mail (AC 16, Disadvantage on Stealth) as its armor
Commander Model: +1 Wis, equivalent of Breast Plate (AC 14, Max +2 Dex) as its armor
Scout Model: +1 Dex, equivalent Studded Leather (AC 12) as its armor, Stealth Proficiency