PDA

View Full Version : Sources of relief in the DMG

pwykersotz
2014-12-08, 08:18 PM
Avoid spells that have very limited use, such as one that works only against good dragons. Though such a spell could exist in the world, few characters will bother to learn or prepare it unless they know in advance that doing so will be worthwhile.

This quote on spell creation gives me hope for future splatbook release and the avoidance of 3.5 style spells where there were well over a thousand and most were extremely situational. (Did anyone ever use Ablate Dracorage?)

What other things do you guys see in the DMG that confirms the rules or variants are to your taste?

MaxWilson
2014-12-08, 08:46 PM
Well, the treasure tables are reassuringly non-optimized. Lots of quirky, useful-but-not-dominating options abound, and it's almost impossible to get Plate Armor +3 by rolling, so theoretically the metametagame (global community) will gradually lose the expectation of character builds that rely on specific magic items and will go back to seeing magic items as belonging to the "Exploration" part of the game.

For similar reasons, I am actually sort of glad that scribing scrolls is difficult again, even though my one exposure to 3.5-style scribing (ToEE video game) was terrifically fun. (My wizards were absolutely rolling in scrolls of Grease.) By the 5E crafting rules, it is much, much harder to create a scroll than to simply cast the thing yourself, and overall that's a good thing for the kind of game I want to play: character-centric, not loot-centric. You can get captured by slavers and thrown in a pit with none of your gear, and still have a grand adventure.

Occasional Sage
2014-12-08, 09:39 PM
...overall that's a good thing for the kind of game I want to play: character-centric, not loot-centric. You can get captured by slavers and thrown in a pit with none of your gear, and still have a grand adventure.

Yeah, it's nice that your characters get to adventure, rather than haul the gear that adventures. 3.P feels too much like playing an outspoken mule for very special, very expensive stuff with avarice and ideals.

Madfellow
2014-12-08, 11:47 PM
My wizards were absolutely rolling in scrolls of Grease.

...eww....

Dalebert
2014-12-10, 02:26 AM
(My wizards were absolutely rolling in scrolls of Grease.)

...eww....

http://youtu.be/JGkBelzTW_E?t=49s

Valtu
2014-12-10, 06:19 PM
Yeah, it's nice that your characters get to adventure, rather than haul the gear that adventures.

That's a very good way to put it. I haven't been playing for very long (a year and a few months at this point), and as much as I love all the variety and specifics to obsess over in 3.5, after a short hiatus in playing with our group, and starting a new, very homebrew-heavy campaign (homebrew/houserule tweaks to make the setting work), I'm really liking the sound of 5e.

Everything I read about 4e didn't sound appealing, but I'm finding 5e more and more intriguing. Our current campaign is brand new, but I could definitely see giving 5 a try in the future. The "Bounded Accuracy" concept in particular is exciting.