PDA

View Full Version : Anyway for sorcerers to get minions?

RoboEmperor
2014-12-08, 08:26 PM
Main thing I loved about sorcerers over wizards is that they're society independent. They don't need someone to teach them spells, scrolls to study, spellbooks and inks, etc.

Main thing I love about d&d is summons. i can summon creatures, create creatures, raise creatures, call creatures, etc.

So now comes 5e, and sorcerers have their own spell list, and animate dead or any of the conjure spells aren't included!

At this point the only way sorcerers can get any summon spells is via Wish, and even then you can't set it to the level 9 version of the summon spell :(

So... is there anyway in 5e currently to add spells to the sorcerer's spell list, or at least create constructs? I only own the player's handbook so my information is limited. :(

MaxWilson
2014-12-08, 08:37 PM
Carry a handful of forks around in your pocket and cast Animate Object on them when needed. It has only a 1 minute duration but it should suffice for one combat.

RoboEmperor
2014-12-08, 08:46 PM
Carry a handful of forks around in your pocket and cast Animate Object on them when needed. It has only a 1 minute duration but it should suffice for one combat.

How did I miss that spell? XD
Perhaps because it wasn't in the sorcerer's spell list in 3.5 :P

I don't have my handbook with me right now, but thanks! If animate objects is at least as powerful as conjure elemental, I'm good.

But still... I want a variety of creatures D:

MaxWilson
2014-12-08, 08:54 PM
On average, I would say that Animate Objects is more powerful than Conjure Elemental (more damage per round, better AC, about the same effective HP) while its duration lasts.

Oh, to answer your other question: no, the DMG has no additional information on gaining minions... but there is nothing to stop you from using your high Charisma to talk the hobgoblin squad leader into joining your party, instead of dying.

JoeJ
2014-12-08, 09:14 PM
You can always get minions the old fashioned way: hire a bunch of flunkies.

RoboEmperor
2014-12-08, 09:39 PM

-.-

Aesthetics do matter
What's cooler? Surrounded by demons, skeletal dragons, and giant constructs, or a bunch of smelly hairy men with holes in their yellow teeth? D:<

pwykersotz
2014-12-08, 09:55 PM
-.-

Aesthetics do matter
What's cooler? Surrounded by demons, skeletal dragons, and giant constructs, or a bunch of smelly hairy men with holes in their yellow teeth? D:<

Well, it depends on the type I guess. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArmyOfThievesAndWhores)

eastmabl
2014-12-09, 12:23 AM

And now I'm making a butterfly-blooded sorcerer.

http://collectingtokens.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/the_monarch.jpg

SharkForce
2014-12-09, 11:11 AM
mass suggestion, stick it in a level 9 slot. not exactly a guaranteed minion (and you first have to find something you want to control, so vastly less convenient), depending on how lenient your DM is with the suggestion spell, but a year and a day of, at the very least, performing a specific (non-suicidal) task on your behalf, that's gotta count for something in the minion department.

(you may also be able to use the spell to persuade them that they should, for example, hire on as mercenaries to you... meaning that you could have them be your minions until a year and a day has passed or until the money runs out, whichever comes first :P )

Inevitability
2014-12-10, 02:38 AM
Be a wild magic sorcerer and hope you roll lucky? :smalltongue:

RoboEmperor
2014-12-10, 02:54 AM
Bah, if I can find a way to carry around a huge suit of armor, I'll be happy with solely animate objects. After all, sorcerers can extend it.

Anyone have suggestions of that? HUGE size so... is there bag of holding in this game? o_o
Scratch that, anyone have suggestions of carrying around SEVERAL HUGE size statues/suits of armor/etc.?

MaxWilson
2014-12-10, 09:24 AM
IMHO, Tiny objects actually make better minions than a huge animated suit of armor would. But yes, Bags of Holding exist and are Uncommon. I wouldn't necessarily count on finding one but you could beg your DM.

Inevitability
2014-12-10, 12:33 PM
IMHO, Tiny objects actually make better minions than a huge animated suit of armor would. But yes, Bags of Holding exist and are Uncommon. I wouldn't necessarily count on finding one but you could beg your DM.

Or use True Polymorph to change a frog into a bag of holding.

It is advised to cast Protection From Books on yourself beforehand, though.

MaxWilson
2014-12-10, 12:54 PM
Or how about this: why not hire somebody to wear the armor! And maybe you could even pay him enough to make the armor fight without even using a spell slot!

pwykersotz
2014-12-10, 12:58 PM
Or how about this: why not hire somebody to wear the armor! And maybe you could even pay him enough to make the armor fight without even using a spell slot!

Stop being silly. No DM would allow that kind of cheese. :smalltongue:

MaxWilson
2014-12-10, 01:16 PM
Stop being silly. No DM would allow that kind of cheese. :smalltongue:

:)

One of the reasons given by the game designers for Bounded Accuracy is to enable new styles of play. A specific example given is to menace a town with a dragon, with the expected resolution being that the PCs will rally the townsfolk (Persuasion checks!) to kill the dragon.

One of my first 5E games featured an early fight between us (a bunch of 8th level characters) and a group of hobgoblins fleeing from something, on whom we opened fire immediately and murdered, including the ones who surrendered, and which were then raised as animated undead (Spectres) by the Wraiths that showed up a few minutes later. To this day I regret that we didn't stop and negotiate with the hobgoblins instead and join forces to kill whatever was chasing them. Maybe then we wouldn't have had several members of the party take between 8 and 48 points of permanent HP drain from fighting undead and demons. Bounded accuracy totally makes minions a thing.

Totema
2014-12-10, 01:28 PM
And now I'm making a butterfly-blooded sorcerer.

Ask your DM if you can buy an airship/fortress shaped like a cocoon.

SharkForce
2014-12-10, 03:23 PM
why a suit of armour? seems like there would be easier things to transport. i mean, heck, mount crossbows on wheels and see if you can persuade your DM to let them bombard your enemies from afar :)

Ninjadeadbeard
2014-12-10, 03:46 PM
Here's a thought: Ask your DM to allow you to get those summoning spells. It's not like the summoned things will have to follow you. And it's not like you'll be summoning and fireballing. Not broken in any way. I'd allow it.

RoboEmperor
2014-12-10, 08:50 PM

I want giant body guards, not tiny flies D:<, though a cloud of knives and shrapnel does sound nice :P

why a suit of armour? seems like there would be easier things to transport. i mean, heck, mount crossbows on wheels and see if you can persuade your DM to let them bombard your enemies from afar :)

Thanks! I got it! I'll push a cart around! Or get a horse. Wonder if there are horses in this game.

Here's a thought: Ask your DM to allow you to get those summoning spells. It's not like the summoned things will have to follow you. And it's not like you'll be summoning and fireballing. Not broken in any way. I'd allow it.

I don't like relying on DMs to bend the rules for me. I hate WotC. Sorcerers are the even more specialized wizard, but now they're just strong armed into blasting or something.

SharkForce
2014-12-10, 11:46 PM
there are horses, but if all you want to do is lug something around, mules do the same thing for a lot cheaper :)

Osiris
2014-12-13, 10:29 AM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?388022-DMG-Bag-of-tricks) thread reviews how animals summoned from the Bag of Tricks never go away. Pick any bag. Pick one bag of each type. It's up to you, but the DM has every right to chuck the DMG at you.