PDA

View Full Version : In a world where all skill checks are natural ones...

atemu1234
2014-12-08, 10:42 PM
My friends and I began pondering the above world, and here's what came up:
Hide:[crouches behind potted fern]
Spot: No one here, guys!
Listen: WHAT? I CAN'T HERE YOU!
Knowledge (Nature): [points at fern] Ah! A bear! [Runs out of room]
Bluff: I'm definitely not here, guys.
Sense Motive: I guess no one's here, guys!
Diplomacy: Don't eat us, Mr. Bear. We are too tasty to die!
Handle Animal: [Hit bear with rock]

KillianHawkeye
2014-12-08, 11:20 PM
Is this also a world where nobody ever invests skill ranks? :smalltongue:

Renen
2014-12-08, 11:40 PM
Yeh. Cuz you know... nat 1s dont actually auto fail...

Though I suppose low lvl people would be blind and deaf...

ahenobarbi
2014-12-08, 11:55 PM
Yeh. Cuz you know... nat 1s dont actually auto fail...

Though I suppose low lvl people would be blind and deaf...

Yup. To meet 10 DC at level 1 you'd need max ranks (4) and skill focus (3) and +2 ability modifier. And with such rolls you're not living to see level 2 ;)

No one would be able to make friends (Diplomacy DC for changing attitude from Indifferent to Friendly is 15).

Shalist
2014-12-09, 01:18 AM
Per the spirit of the OP's request, here's a few illustrated possibilities:

Concentration:
http://wvinjurylawblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/distracteddriving310px.jpg

Disguise:
http://www.thetick.ws/images/ninjahedge.jpg

Knowledge nature:
http://photos.360treasure.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/big-dog-and-small-cat.jpg

Profession: Cooking
http://culturaltrash.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/homer2.jpg?w=690

Open lock:
http://thabto.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/schoolforthegifted1.jpg

Riding:
http://weeklyworldnews.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/userlink3x.jpg

Swim:
http://nihongoshark.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/raining-sharks.jpg

Survival (tracking); also, sense motive:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sYfHlbUNEXo/UpowDJJf7lI/AAAAAAAAJVI/oyEe6DKa7h4/s1600/fox+w+hounds.jpg

OldTrees1
2014-12-09, 01:25 AM
I prefer the "butt of a joke" kind of nat one skills houserules.

I have used:
Spot/Listen: Welcome your new persistent comedic hallucination.

TypoNinja
2014-12-09, 04:03 AM
I prefer the "butt of a joke" kind of nat one skills houserules.

I have used:
Spot/Listen: Welcome your new persistent comedic hallucination.

I've always loved the "completely invisible.... brass band." For when you get a great hide, but blow the move silently.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-09, 04:05 AM
Yup. To meet 10 DC at level 1 you'd need max ranks (4) and skill focus (3) and +2 ability modifier. And with such rolls you're not living to see level 2 ;)

No one would be able to make friends (Diplomacy DC for changing attitude from Indifferent to Friendly is 15).

Or you'd need to, you know, take 10 on stuff?

Eldan
2014-12-09, 04:15 AM
Well, everyone would live naked in caves anyway, wouldn't they. Given that they can't make tools, clothes, fire or houses. THen they'd all starve since no one can make a profession: farmer or survival check.

TypoNinja
2014-12-09, 05:05 AM

lets not forget aid another.

What one cannot accomplish, 50 of them will :D

KillianHawkeye
2014-12-09, 05:56 AM
lets not forget aid another.

What one cannot accomplish, 50 of them will :D

Actually, you need to be able to make the DC 10 check yourself to successfully aid someone else's check.

ahenobarbi
2014-12-09, 06:10 AM

I assumed you can't take 10 in that world (or everyone ever does it an it stops being funny).

Hamste
2014-12-09, 09:08 AM
Let us go with exceptionally wise dwarves as the race because I like dwarves. We need food, a place to mine and a way to defend ourselves all with one feat and one class level (preferably commoner). Note, we do not all need to be able to do each task we just need to sustain each other.

First things first skill focus, max ranks and +2 wisdom as pointed out earlier gets 10, the dc is not explained for farming but hopefully that is enough (Druids may be able to help here). Now with hopefully enough food we need to get to making weapons. We can't mine yet to use our metal abilities so we need to make masterwork tools to help with everything, unfortunately that requires a DC15 check (presuming it is a high quality item) and we don't have the tools for that on hand so we can't even aid another in making them so that isn't an option yet. So the dwarves pick up their improvised weapons and leave to beat the snot out of some kobolds (A surprisingly tough battle, even with no armor kobolds have an ac of 13 and while dwarves are bigger it doesn't matter much at this low level when both races are using improvised weapons). They bring some of those buggers back and have to trade some of their food with the humans who by now probably have an entire civilization set up because of their two level 1 feats (3 if they are paragons) for picks. The dwarves then start an expansive breeding process with the kobolds to get the perfect miners from them. They get a 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8 stat array so we are trying to breed the 13 into wisdom and to get them skill focus mining with 4 ranks in mining, That sets them at +10 for mining. Currently very little return for the effort but it is the set up that counts. Again I don't know the dcs for mining but I'm hoping this plus basic tools is enough for the kobolds to at least start mining (There are rules somewhere but can't remember where). If it is, from there the dwarves will quickly grow in power as their racial abilities with metal and stone allow them to craft things usually beyond the scope of other first level commoners (except humans). With enough aid another they can even get a metal masterwork tool of craft (masterwork tool). With these tools they have +2 racial +3 skill focus+2 masterwork tool+2 wisdom+4 ranks for +13 allowing them to make ac 4 metal armor (chain shirt) and metal shields, they can even make martial weapons with just one person aiding them. All would bow before the might of ac 16 warhammer wielding (or morningstar if no aid another), dwarves. They might even start making better armor with aid another and then they become a real threat thanks to the fact they don't need skill focus to be aided by someone as long there is enough masterwork tools and the person put three ranks in the skill.

GreyBlack
2014-12-09, 09:23 AM
Let us go with exceptionally wise dwarves as the race because I like dwarves. We need food, a place to mine and a way to defend ourselves all with one feat and one class level (preferably commoner). Note, we do not all need to be able to do each task we just need to sustain each other.

First things first skill focus, max ranks and +2 wisdom as pointed out earlier gets 10, the dc is not explained for farming but hopefully that is enough (Druids may be able to help here). Now with hopefully enough food we need to get to making weapons. We can't mine yet to use our metal abilities so we need to make masterwork tools to help with everything, unfortunately that requires a DC15 check (presuming it is a high quality item) and we don't have the tools for that on hand so we can't even aid another in making them so that isn't an option yet. So the dwarves pick up their improvised weapons and leave to beat the snot out of some kobolds (A surprisingly tough battle, even with no armor kobolds have an ac of 13 and while dwarves are bigger it doesn't matter much at this low level when both races are using improvised weapons). They bring some of those buggers back and have to trade some of their food with the humans who by now probably have an entire civilization set up because of their two level 1 feats (3 if they are paragons) for picks. The dwarves then start an expansive breeding process with the kobolds to get the perfect miners from them. They get a 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8 stat array so we are trying to breed the 13 into wisdom and to get them skill focus mining with 4 ranks in mining, That sets them at +10 for mining. Currently very little return for the effort but it is the set up that counts. Again I don't know the dcs for mining but I'm hoping this plus basic tools is enough for the kobolds to at least start mining (There are rules somewhere but can't remember where). If it is, from there the dwarves will quickly grow in power as their racial abilities with metal and stone allow them to craft things usually beyond the scope of other first level commoners (except humans). With enough aid another they can even get a metal masterwork tool of craft (masterwork tool). With these tools they have +2 racial +3 skill focus+2 masterwork tool+2 wisdom+4 ranks for +13 allowing them to make ac 4 metal armor (chain shirt) and metal shields, they can even make martial weapons with just one person aiding them. All would bow before the might of ac 16 warhammer wielding (or morningstar if no aid another), dwarves. They might even start making better armor with aid another and then they become a real threat thanks to the fact they don't need skill focus to be aided by someone as long there is enough masterwork tools and the person put three ranks in the skill.

Then they roll a natural 1 to attack. Or are attack rolls exempted in this thought exercise?

Eldan
2014-12-09, 09:35 AM
Did you just reinvent Dwarf Fortress?

Hamste
2014-12-09, 12:03 PM
Then they roll a natural 1 to attack. Or are attack rolls exempted in this thought exercise?

Assuming attack rolls are not all natural ones seeing they only said skill checks. If all natural ones on attack rolls then ignore all the armor or weapons talk, it is all about the alchemy and magic so go with gnomes (for the craft alchemy bonus, sadly crafting alchemical stuff is really annoying so they need another boost craft alchemy somewhere just to make acid) or anything that gives a bonus to a spellcasting ability.

Elkad
2014-12-09, 12:24 PM
Did you just reinvent Dwarf Fortress?

Appears so. Oh, your miners have hit lava. Make a DC17 mining check to not flood the entire fortress. No? Game over.

Hamste
2014-12-09, 12:25 PM
Appears so. Oh, your miners have hit lava. Make a DC17 mining check to not flood the entire fortress. No? Game over.

Oh well, this is why we have kobolds.

StoneCipher
2014-12-09, 12:46 PM
In a world where all rolls are 1, DC based spells are king.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-09, 02:14 PM
The dwarves then start an expansive breeding process with the kobolds to get the perfect miners from them.

The dwarves then start an expansive breeding process with the kobolds

expansive breeding process with the kobolds

dwarves ... breeding ... with the kobolds

:eek:

I hope you meant that in an animal-husbandry sort of way, because otherwise I'll need even more brain-bleach.

Hamste
2014-12-09, 02:32 PM
:eek:

I hope you meant that in an animal-husbandry sort of way, because otherwise I'll need even more brain-bleach.

I did mean the animal-husbandry way, they are desperate for craft and profession bonuses but not that desperate. Besides, there are a lot better things to breed with if we do become that desperate.