PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Lichdom

ArchNecrophile
2014-12-08, 10:51 PM
Hello, I have a quick question about becoming a lich from a level 11 High Elf Wizard. I understand the process of becoming a lich and the costs, but I just wanna get cleared up on one thing. When attaching a lich monster template to a character sheet, does the character still level up as a wizard at all and gain new spells or does he simply increase in hit die and forever stop leveling up as a wizard? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or rules on how to do it.

Shadow
2014-12-08, 11:00 PM
or does he simply increase in hit die and forever stop leveling up as a wizard?

If a wizard stopped learning new magics after attaining lichdom, very very few wizards would ever do it, and certainly not when they'd only learned half of what was available.

Envyus
2014-12-08, 11:13 PM
There is no lich template in 5e. The only known lich is the monster version that is pretty much the pinnacle of caster monsters.

ArchNecrophile
2014-12-08, 11:51 PM
There is no lich template in 5e. The only known lich is the monster version that is pretty much the pinnacle of caster monsters.
I know, I am thinking about attaching an edited monster template from an older 3.5 one.

Totema
2014-12-10, 03:02 PM
I know, I am thinking about attaching an edited monster template from the 5E MM to the character. Would you mind giving a few details regarding this custom template? This kind of thing is also relevant to my interests.

Jeraa
2014-12-10, 03:15 PM
If it is a custom template, it is entirely up to you if they can continue gaining wizard levels.

Scirocco
2014-12-10, 03:16 PM
I can't imagine that an intelligent creature would stop learning new things just because they're undead. If anything that immortality would give them plenty of time to bump their levels to max.

pwykersotz
2014-12-10, 04:26 PM
I can't imagine that an intelligent creature would stop learning new things just because they're undead. If anything that immortality would give them plenty of time to bump their levels to max.

In some worlds, undead stagnate. They are unable to meaninfully grow once they become undead. They can obsess and act with the same critical thinking as before, but their mindset never changes, they retain their thought patterns and opinions despite the world around them changing. In these circumstances, they're often viewed as insane by people a thousand years later who view the Lich's ambitions in a totally different context.

One of many ways to view undeath. :smallamused:

ArchNecrophile
2014-12-10, 08:30 PM
Would you mind giving a few details regarding this custom template? This kind of thing is also relevant to my interests.
Well I'm thinking of maybe using this older template: http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/lich.shtml and maybe tweak it a bit for 5e.

Occasional Sage
2014-12-11, 03:21 AM
I understand the process of becoming a lich and the costs, but I just wanna get cleared up on one thing. When attaching a lich monster template to a character sheet, does the character still level up as a wizard at all and gain new spells or does he simply increase in hit die and forever stop leveling up as a wizard? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or rules on how to do it.

I know, I am thinking about attaching an edited monster template from an older 3.5 one.

So, lemme make sure I've got this. You understand how lichs work, and know that rules for what you want to do don't exist, but want somebody to clarify how the hypothetical template behaves.

I'm wait what?

Nargrakhan
2014-12-11, 08:24 AM

Unless you happen to be a particular lich in Ravenloft, whom the Dark Powers have crafted a particularly vicious punishment.

*cough*azalinrex*cough*