PDA

View Full Version : DCs for Skill Checks?

NeoSeraphi
2014-12-08, 11:01 PM
Do DMs just decide this arbitrarily? I didn't see a DC list in the skills section of the PHB, or even a consistent list of what you can use the skill for, it's really vague compared to the other systems. How do you guys handle skills in your games?

pwykersotz
2014-12-08, 11:18 PM
Do DMs just decide this arbitrarily? I didn't see a DC list in the skills section of the PHB, or even a consistent list of what you can use the skill for, it's really vague compared to the other systems. How do you guys handle skills in your games?

It's half arbitrarily. The DM decides if the difficulty level of the check with the DC's on DMG page 238 or some shade of gray inbetween. It's based on all the factors of which the DM is aware. There's no tables of what's whitelisted for skill DC's as far as I am aware.

Madfellow
2014-12-08, 11:28 PM
Page 174 of the Player's Handbook
5: Very Easy
10: Easy
15: Medium
20: Hard
25: Very Hard
30: Nearly Impossible

DMs assign difficulty based mostly on common sense. Starting on the next page, it goes over what each skill can do and what other things the ability scores can do.

NeoSeraphi
2014-12-08, 11:32 PM
Page 174 of the Player's Handbook
5: Very Easy
10: Easy
15: Medium
20: Hard
25: Very Hard
30: Nearly Impossible

DMs assign difficulty based mostly on common sense. Starting on the next page, it goes over what each skill can do and what other things the ability scores can do.

Oh. Heh. :smallredface: Sorry. Guess I skimmed that section a little too well. Thank you very much for your help.

Madfellow
2014-12-08, 11:51 PM
Oh. Heh. :smallredface: Sorry. Guess I skimmed that section a little too well. Thank you very much for your help.

Hey, no problem. :smallsmile:

Slipperychicken
2014-12-09, 10:10 AM
They put slightly more guidance than that in the DMG. It's still pretty much DM-fiat though.

GiantOctopodes
2014-12-09, 10:22 AM
Basically, if you get a 25 and don't succeed, it's because your DM either:
- Thought your idea was stupid in the first place (metagamers out there should talk with him about what he would do in similar situations OOG to gather insight over what tactics might have better success in the future)
- Has plot shield on the action in question (some doors just *can't* be picked without the key obtained off so and so which requires X, don't you know)
- Really wants to railroad you at the moment, and the action in question would take things off the rails
- Knows something you don't (duh, but examples might include trying to pick a lock on a door that's actually just an illusion, or trying to sneak through an enemy camp while still wearing that locket so and so gave you, which is actually a tracking device for said enemy, etc)

So just shoot for a 25 and most of the time, you'll be ok

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-09, 11:10 AM
- Knows something you don't (duh, but examples might include trying to pick a lock on a door that's actually just an illusion, or trying to sneak through an enemy camp while still wearing that locket so and so gave you, which is actually a tracking device for said enemy, etc)

So just shoot for a 25 and most of the time, you'll be ok

That should totally be a rogue (arcane trickster/thief) ability...

I can see someone picking the lock to a illusionary door, opening said door, and walking through...

The wizard who casts the spell is all :smallconfused: walks over there to inspect it, cause "what the hell just happened" and then gets sneak attacked from behind the door.