PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Keith Baker's Warforged - OP or not OP?

Ninjadeadbeard
2014-12-09, 12:18 AM
So I've been wondering about using Warforged in 5E sometime. Something about them always interested me, and I spend a lot of time thinking up campaigns to throw my players in, so eventually one that fits Warforged occurred to me. Trouble is, the DMG doesn't have a hard and fast Warforged statblock.

But this guy does (http://keith-baker.com/extra-life-hacking-the-warforged/).

Anyone tried this yet? Or seen it? I'm wondering about replacing the subraces, or modifying the bonuses, as I'm not sure it's balanced as is. Thoughts?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-12-09, 12:46 AM
In a survival horror game, a la Dark Sun, it's not only OP but inappropriate to the genre.

In any other game it looks fine, maybe a bit weak. You're trading off abilities like a bonus feat, or the ability to re-roll 1s, or stealth boosters, to get a few immunities and conveniences.

Ninjadeadbeard
2014-12-09, 12:48 AM
In any other game it looks fine, maybe a bit weak. You're trading off abilities like a bonus feat, or the ability to re-roll 1s, or stealth boosters, to get a few immunities and conveniences.

Oh? Is there something to be done to make it a touch stronger/more in-line with the other phb races?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-12-09, 01:06 AM
It's fine as is, but you could differentiate scout and soldier a bit without breaking much.

Soldier: Reduce damage from nonmagical bludgeoning/piercing/slashing weapons by... 1 or 2. Doesn't stack with Heavy Armor Master.
Scout: Some sort of vision upgrade... maybe just Perception proficiency.

Flickerdart
2014-12-09, 01:08 AM
In a survival horror game, a la Dark Sun, it's not only OP but inappropriate to the genre.
You ever take a machine into the desert? In about 30 seconds everything is full of sand and breaking down - and unlike organics, synthetic components don't naturally heal. Better hope you packed a gallon drum of oil, tin can; at least the meatbags can find an oasis for water.

Ninjadeadbeard
2014-12-09, 01:59 AM
It's fine as is, but you could differentiate scout and soldier a bit without breaking much.

Soldier: Reduce damage from nonmagical bludgeoning/piercing/slashing weapons by... 1 or 2. Doesn't stack with Heavy Armor Master.
Scout: Some sort of vision upgrade... maybe just Perception proficiency.

Well, I was going to replace them anyway. Here is what I had:

Note that I just copy/pasted this from my setting handbook I'm writing for 5E.

Shadowforged
One of the models of Forged used is that of the Shadowforged. Shadowforged are smaller than others, and built of lighter, duller materials that do not catch the light. They are comparable to a Dwarf in height, but their form is very slight and lean. Shadowforged are often used as espionage agents and assassins, but they are prized greatly by treasure hunters for their skill at working in tight, dark spaces underground.

Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by 1.

Size: Small

Speed: 35 feet

Darkvision: You have Darkvision out to 60ft.

Light Construction: You gain Advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks.

Clever Bot: You are always considered to have Thieves Tools on your person, and you are always Proficient with them.

Warforged
One of the first Forged to come out of the smithy, Warforged are becoming more and more common sights among mercenary companies, guards, and professional armies. They are often unadorned, save for the scratches that mark their experience, and for the warmasks they often wear to increase the terror they bring to their foes. They are often barrel-chested, and possess arms like sledgehammers.

Weapon Dedicant: Select one Martial Weapon. You are proficient with this weapon, and you gain advantage on combat maneuver checks made with this weapon.

Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by 1.

Size: Medium

Speed: 30 feet

Spellforged
A model seldom ordered but valued at an exorbitant price. Spellforged are tall and thin, sometimes with a taller head than other Forged as well. More runes have been placed on their shell, and often smaller spirit stones similar to the one that powers them are placed throughout their body to focus the magical forces around them.

Ability Score Increase: Your Intelligence score increases by 1.

Size: Medium

Speed: 30 feet

Spell Charges Included: At 1st level you know the Repair spell. It functions identically to Cure Wounds, except that it only works on Forged.

Silver-Lining: You have Advantage on saves against magic.

I feel like it's broken a little.

GiantOctopodes
2014-12-09, 10:00 AM
Yeah, it's broken. One thing to remember is that any homebrew will be assumed to be broken by your players off the bat, so normally you want to lowball, and have things come out, if anything, a touch under existing options, to convince them this is not the case. Specific things that you did wrong, is that you used the advantage mechanic. That is inappropriate to a racial feature. My suggested revisions:

Shadowforged: You gain proficiency with Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks. You should have either the Darkvision or the Speed 35 feet, but not both. My recommendation is that you keep the Darkvision. As small creatures, even just a base 30 speed is a speed increase. 35 is unique to the Wood Elf and steps directly on their toes.

Warforged: The "advantage on combat maneuvers" is inappropriate. If you're looking for something unique and flavorful showing their dedication to a singular weapon, maybe make it this: "Select one Martial Weapon. You are proficient with this weapon, and any feats gained which apply to a different weapon of the same type (melee or ranged) also apply to this one." It will seem broken, but trust me, there's few enough feats currently available to where it's not. And it's not auto-advantage, which is absurdly powerful. Alternately, if you want to keep the same thing, it should be "You never have disadvantage on combat maneuvers with that weapon", which is a slightly toned down version of the same thing.

Spellforged: Spell charges included: add "this ability can be used once, then requires a long rest before it can be used again". Silver Lining: "You have proficiency on all saving throws against magic effects." Note that this is still tremendously powerful, and I would personally recommend getting rid of silver lining entirely, based on the remarkable resilience they already have as warforged. But if you wanted to provide that benefit, this is a *more* balanced way to do so. Even more balanced would be "Once per (short or long) rest, when targeted by a magical effect against which you do not already have proficiency, you may gain proficiency on that save"

Longcat
2014-12-09, 11:51 PM
You ever take a machine into the desert? In about 30 seconds everything is full of sand and breaking down - and unlike organics, synthetic components don't naturally heal. Better hope you packed a gallon drum of oil, tin can; at least the meatbags can find an oasis for water.

Warforged do not work like that.

Kane0
2014-12-10, 03:40 AM
I'm glad someone else has come across that page, I thought his Warforged was quite reasonable.
If I were to take what he has there and use it in my game, here are the stats i'd use:

Living Construct: Even though you were constructed, you are a humanoid. You are immune to disease and do not need to breathe, eat or drink. You can choose to ingest food or drink if you wish.

Unsleeping Sentinel: Warforged do not need to sleep. Instead, they settle into a resting state, remaining semiconscious for 4 hours each day. While in this rest state, you are fully aware of your surroundings. After resting in this way, you gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.

Warforged Resilience: You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.

Armor Plating: When you are not wearing armor, your AC is 12 + your Dexterity modifier

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common.

Chassis: Multiple types of Warforged exist. Choose on chassis from those provided below.

Warforged Scout
Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity and Charisma scores increases by 1
Senses: Darkvision out to 60'
Integrated Subterfuge: You gain proficiency with thieves tools and are always considered to be carrying a set.

Warforged Soldier
Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score and Constitution scores increase by 1
Improved Armor Plating: When you are not wearing armor, your AC is 14 + your Dexterity modifier. This replaces the AC provided by the Armor Plating Racial Feature
Heavy Handed: Your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 damage

Warforged Machinist
Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom and Intelligence scores increases by 1
Inscribed Adept: You are always considered to be carrying a magical focus and can cast the Cure Wounds spell once per long rest as if from a 1st level spell slot. This Cure Wounds only affects warforged or other constructs.
Repair and Production: You gain proficiency with Healer's Kits and Smith's Tools. You can use either one to repair warforged and you possess the knowledge to create additional warforged.

I deliberately lowered the Stat bonuses to keep the perceived power down. If it turns out that they really do need the boost than I'd give a +1 Con to all warforged and see how that went.