PDA

View Full Version : non-wiz spells in wizard's spellbook

With a box
2014-12-09, 01:57 AM
after I looked up my 300+ known spell list, I noticed I have scrived few non-wiz spells in wizard's spellbook, like Freedom of Movement and some cure wound line (from bard)
what can i do with it? Can I make a scroll of it?
And was it ligal to scribe them in first place?

deuxhero
2014-12-09, 02:19 AM
While you can't cast them, and YOU might not be able to copy them (sure on the first, don't know about the second off hand), it's certainly possible for non-wizard spells to be recorded in spellbook because of various things that allows wizards to cast them and don't overwrite needing a spellbook to prepare (in both 3.5 and PF, though PF is more generous)

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-09, 02:32 AM
Let archivists copy spells from your book, for a price? Could be a nice way to make money on the side/during downtime.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-12-09, 05:44 AM
Afaik there aren't any explicit rules against it. You can't prepare spells that aren't on your class list though. You can't scribe scrolls from them either since that requires you to prepare them.
Aside from letting archivists copy them (if they're divine) i can't think of a use for them, at least without you taking a level in a class/a feat that adds them to your class list.

With a box
2014-12-09, 09:04 AM
What can I do if I dip a level in archivist?
Would it worth a level?

Khedrac
2014-12-09, 10:19 AM
A 1 level dip? - no as you would only have access as a level 1 archivist...

Also if they are scribed to your spell-book by some unknown method do you know if they are the arcane form of the spell or the divine form? An archivist cannot learn from an arcane scroll of cure light wounds (as used by bards).

Fouredged Sword
2014-12-09, 12:14 PM
A one level archivist dip would be horrid. It would open up 90% of the spells in the game to activation from scrolls and such without needing UMD. You couldn't MAKE those scrolls without being able to cast the spell, but you could cast them if you found or purchased them. Mix with a duel progression class and early entry tricks and it can be worth trading a level of wizard progression for 11 levels of archivist (maybe, in the right kind of game).