PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for a new game system

lytokk
2014-12-09, 07:14 AM
So, in addition to my other game, I've been asked to DM a game for a couple who wants to try out some table top games. Well, the girlfriend in the couple wants to try out some table top RPG, and the boyfriend got tricked into it. Despite the tricking, I know my friend will give it a good chance, but I have a small problem. The only real system I know is D&D 3.5, and I know that the system can be hard to learn, and is incredibly rules heavy.

What I need is a new system to teach to them. I could freeform it, but I do better within the bounds of some rules. Something simple enough for them and myself to learn at the same time. I would prefer something cheap enough to get in to, since I'll have to buy books, but if they don't like it, I don't really want to be out a lot of money. In addition, I would like the game system to contain humor, or at least be conducive to it. I have a feeling that the boyfriend of the couple will be wanting to be as jokey as possible, though most of the humor is going to be up to me.

The game will most likely be set in a traditional D&D style landscape. Ya know, dwarves, elves, magic, middle aged time period stuff.

I probably will be getting another couple in on this, one of whom has played 3.5 D&D, but hasn't in years and has more than likely forgotten all of the rules.

Any assistance on this would be great.

Anonymouswizard
2014-12-09, 07:58 AM
Fate is a good idea, it's narrative, less structured, the players can be anything the group is willing to except (I want to use it to play the vehicle owned by another character), and it's simple. Plus the PDF is pay what you wish, I think starting at £5, although if you want to use fudge/fate dice it'll cost afew quid per set of four.

BWR
2014-12-09, 08:18 AM
You could try earlier editions of D&D or retroclones. All the same D&D goodness, a bit less complicated rules. I've heard good things about "Adventurer, Conquerer, King", though I've only played BECMI and 2e of earlier editions.

Yora
2014-12-09, 09:13 AM
I quite like Barbarians of Lemuria and the Dragon Age RPG. Both are tailored for adventures similar to classic D&D, but have much easier rules and focus on getting results of a fight swiftly without getting bogged down in complicated tactics and special abilities.

AD&D also kind of tries to do that, but the rules are needlessly complex and difficult to learn.

Dienekes
2014-12-09, 09:37 AM
If you're looking for dirt simple it's hard to beat Warrior, Rogue, and Mage. It's free, requires only a couple d6 per person, and again it's almost hilariously simple. So much so that I actually homebrewed more mechanics for more complicated fighting styles. Though, that may sound like a negative but I can honestly say this is the easiest system to homebrew for I have ever played.
Give it a look, as I said it's a free PDF.

Kid Jake
2014-12-09, 01:29 PM
Mutants and Masterminds has the Warriors and Warlocks supplement which is pretty neat. It's similar enough to D&D that you should be able to pick up the big things pretty quick but in my opinion (and the opinion of my RL group which actually committed IC suicide to avoid playing anymore 3.5) is a lot easier to learn for a newbie.

Garimeth
2014-12-09, 01:34 PM
13th Age! Its similar to D&D, having been made by the lead designers of 3e and 4e and being d20, there is a free SRD for it, and its pretty fun to play, and the system doesn't take itself too seriously - also each class uses its own mechanic which let's your game style be as complicated as you want it to be. Want something simple? Be a barbarian or a ranger! Want something complicated? Be a Wizard or a commander! Its awesome.

Alternatively, 5e is not that complicatedand is imo a pretty good system, you can also download a free sample of the rules from the WOTC site to see if you like it.

Good luck!

Knaight
2014-12-09, 01:53 PM
If you're looking for dirt simple it's hard to beat Warrior, Rogue, and Mage. It's free, requires only a couple d6 per person, and again it's almost hilariously simple. So much so that I actually homebrewed more mechanics for more complicated fighting styles. Though, that may sound like a negative but I can honestly say this is the easiest system to homebrew for I have ever played.
Give it a look, as I said it's a free PDF.

Do you have these mechanics available? I'd also recommend WR&M, and do enjoy the system. With that said, if there are people who favor the more mechanical side of roleplaying, it needs more stuff.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-12-09, 05:21 PM
Basic D&D is much simpler than 3.5.

Autolykos
2014-12-09, 05:33 PM
If you pardon my shameless advertising, the rules-light generic system I'm working on is doing high fantasy quite well. At least that's what my group is mostly using it for at the moment. It's also free, and I'm happy for all the feedback I get. Look at my sig for a link, or get it here: https://de.scribd.com/collections/4319550/GMS-1-01EN
There are no explicit rules for fantasy races yet, but there's nothing preventing you saying that your nimble archer has pointy ears, long, blond hair and is 500 years old, and calling him an elf. At least that's how we're doing it right now.
If you only care for fantasy, you can probably skip the Firearms, Vehicles and Sci-Fi module - but mixing up settings is definitely possible and encouraged.

Arbane
2014-12-09, 06:55 PM
Mutants and Masterminds has the Warriors and Warlocks supplement which is pretty neat. It's similar enough to D&D that you should be able to pick up the big things pretty quick but in my opinion (and the opinion of my RL group which actually committed IC suicide to avoid playing anymore 3.5) is a lot easier to learn for a newbie.

I like M&M quite a bit, but it is not even remotely rules-lite.

Risus (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm), maybe? It's about as simple as an RPG can get while still having rules, it's generic, and its default attitude is comedic.

Dienekes
2014-12-09, 07:40 PM
Do you have these mechanics available? I'd also recommend WR&M, and do enjoy the system. With that said, if there are people who favor the more mechanical side of roleplaying, it needs more stuff.

They're on a flashdrive somewhere. If I find them I'll send you a PM, ok? Don't want to derail the thread.

Vitruviansquid
2014-12-09, 07:43 PM
Savage Worlds is pretty simple once you get the gist of it.

But I'd say if *you* understand DnD 3.5 very well, it's best to use DnD 3.5, and then simply limit the players' options heavily. Let your players take everything out of one book, and it won't be so complicated.

jaydubs
2014-12-09, 09:08 PM
Take a look at Dungeon World. It's like a rules light D&D system. If that's too rules light (or you want something completely free), D&D 5th edition has a free starter ruleset to try out to see if you like it.

Knaight
2014-12-10, 01:14 AM
They're on a flashdrive somewhere. If I find them I'll send you a PM, ok? Don't want to derail the thread.

Works for me.

Back to topic: The Deyrini Realms roleplaying game could work for this. It's easily my least favorite Fudge product, but it's built for fantasy, which seems to be what is aimed for here. If you're willing to drop the fantasy portion, I'd reccomend Terra Incognita instead.

Milodiah
2014-12-10, 01:38 AM
Take a look at Dungeon World. It's like a rules light D&D system. If that's too rules light (or you want something completely free), D&D 5th edition has a free starter ruleset to try out to see if you like it.

Second on Dungeon World for a rules-light system.

kyoryu
2014-12-10, 02:57 AM
While I lurve me some Fate, I think Dungeon World would really fit your criteria well.

Really, either would work. DW has its SRD available for free, while pretty much all of Fate is available as Pay-What-You-Want (full version of the pdf, including art, etc.).

Ninjadeadbeard
2014-12-10, 03:19 AM
Fifth Edition D&D is out. It's easy to pick-up and learn. I recommend it.

And that's all I got ta say about that.

Erasmas
2014-12-10, 09:45 AM
I would also put in a nod for both W&RM (also called WyRM) and for Risus. They are both pretty straight forward. Risus' rulebook is literally four pages long and has a free PDF download, along with some extras.

I would also like to throw out a mention of one that I discovered here on the Playground, called Rivers & Lakes. It is also fairly simple, but has a decided style of fast-paced (think king-fu movie) combat.

lytokk
2014-12-10, 10:31 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been paging through the fate manual, and once I'm done with that one I'll move on to the other suggestions. Really I'm looking for something with easy character creation, and straightforward enough rules. I've goten a lot of info to go on.

Milodiah
2014-12-10, 01:35 PM
Somehow after all this time my mind still tends to mix up Fate and FATAL, and as a result I tend to be momentarily confounded by these horrible suggestions before it straightens itself out.

Also, a great Actual Play to give you a taste of Dungeon World (http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2014/02/genre/fantasy/dungeon-world-the-adventure-begins/). The guys at RPPR are always fun to listen to.

Anonymouswizard
2014-12-10, 02:16 PM
Somehow after all this time my mind still tends to mix up Fate and FATAL, and as a result I tend to be momentarily confounded by these horrible suggestions before it straightens itself out.

...now I want to run a game of Fate where your skills are your different body parts, and are assigned by random dice roll, because it's the only way that's "fair".

On the other hand, FATAL is on my list of games to read before you design one, to show why you shouldn't have too much complexity. After leafing through it that's all I took out of it. I then direct them at GURPS for complexity done right.

1337 b4k4
2014-12-10, 07:21 PM
Second on Dungeon World for a rules-light system.

I would like the 3rd the suggestion for Dungeon World. If you're the type of DM that's good at running things by eye, but enjoy having some rules guidelines to go with it, Dungeon World gives 98% of the D&D experience with about 10% of the work and fuss for the players. It's a bit more work for the DM only because the core concept for how to run the game and the enemies is a bit different, but it's the sort of game your players can look at their character sheets, and then try (and accomplish) almost anything they can imagine (and not be hampered by not having a certain feat). If it gives you any idea for how simple the game would be for players, it's the one my group is using to get the kids playing too.

The only thing as a DM is you might want to read the guide file found here (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3269630/dwdotcom/eon-guide/Dungeon%20World%20Guide%20pdf%20version%201.2.pdf) to help get your head around how to run the game.