PDA

View Full Version : Introducing my new race [WIP Suggestions welcome!]

Booper
2014-12-09, 02:26 PM
Completely new to this site, so forgive me if I do something wrong. :smalltongue:

Late last night I decided to make a humanoid moth species.

Here's what I have so far:

Can fly when wings are dry and not carrying more than 30 lbs; Maximum flying speed indoors is only 10 mph, but can go faster with wind.

Can bind wings so they don't get in the way during battle, in crowds, or when sneaking, but its uncomfortable and they need to be let out every few hours. Forcing wings to be in binding for too long can cause severe damage and deforming.

Can eat anything that will dissolve in water (just because they can doesn't mean they should! they don't have an iron stomach, poisons and the like still affect them).

Moth anatomy doesn’t allow verbal speech; species communicates with sign language. They can learn to understand verbal languages, just not speak them. In this world all intelligent species have a sign language that's used as much as the real life counterparts. Exceptions are races like trolls and goblins who either don't care if someone can't talk, or are barely smart enough to have a verbal language let alone a sign one.

The species is widespread, but the specific colony I'm focusing on share a good chunk of their land with elves and gnomes, so in addition to their native language many learn elven and gnomish sign language. In turn, some elves and gnomes living in the area learn to sign 'mothish' (name pending cause mothish sounds silly)

Like humans come in black, white, and everything in between, individuals have different colorations depending on their ancestor's native region.

This next part I'm a little iffy on, so suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not a biologist so I could be wrong, but moths don't seem very hardy to me. I didn't want them to be too easily damaged so I put a regenerative in their blood. Whether its magical, through a special organ, similar to a salamander, or something else entirely, I haven't decided.

Here's a bit of how it works:

Minor cuts heal in a few hours, deep gashes take at least a week

If a body part is damaged badly enough, it will die off and be regrown, taking anywhere from two weeks to three months, depending on size

Regrown limbs will need a lot of exercise to become as strong as the last

Small parts of organs can be regrown if there is enough left, but organ failure is common with big portions

Brain cannot be regrown

Regrowing large body parts or many parts at once is very taxing, making them weak and prone to illness

Regrowing large and/or many parts at once increases the chance of deformity (might take this away?)

And that's everything for the moment. If I come up with more ideas, I'll post them or edit this post.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-09, 02:33 PM
What system would this be for? I can help with stats for 3.5.

Booper
2014-12-09, 02:40 PM
I'm not picky about systems so any will work. What'd you have in mind?

Booper
2014-12-09, 07:46 PM
New ideas post

A lot of moth species are nocturnal. I don't think my species will be, but they now have darkvision. Its not as good as races who live underground, like dwarves, but they can navigate just as well in starlight as they do in daylight.

Since getting wet prevents them from flying, hydrophobia is a common fear. It takes a lot of convincing, but they will go on boats if the shore is within flying distance. Getting them willingly to the open ocean is almost impossible. But some aren't afraid of water at all; these moths are seen as either fearless daredevils, totally insane, or both, depending on which moth you ask.

Aside from wings, I'm not sure how many limbs they should have. I like the idea of two pairs of arms, and two pairs of legs, but I don't want the extra arms giving them the chance to be overpowered....

Booper
2014-12-10, 07:09 PM
I tried working on some crunch, but I've no idea what I'm doing. I've only ever done fluff for my species, but I want to start making ones that are actually usable as monsters and/or players. If anyone at all is willing to help me learn how to crunch, I'd greatly appreciate it.