PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords - Releasing information in stages.

Nibbens
2014-12-09, 02:46 PM
So, I'm running rise of the runelords for a relatively new group of players and i've been over the first chapter of the anniversary edition (Burnt Offerings) and I've yet to see the info I'm looking for.

So, the situation is this: All throughout the first chapter the PC's run across several seven pointed stars. Perhaps the first one they won't care about, but after the second time they see it, they're going to have questions and want answers, so knowledge checks will be rolled.

The question is this: How would you handle revealing the truth about the what the seven pointed star means and all the info that accompanies it?

I had figured incorporating Brodert Quink and having him give them info, but how much should I fill them in on? Does the AP ever give more info in subsequent chapters that I could potentially spoil? etc etc.

incarnate236
2014-12-09, 03:00 PM
So, I'm running rise of the runelords for a relatively new group of players and i've been over the first chapter of the anniversary edition (Burnt Offerings) and I've yet to see the info I'm looking for.

So, the situation is this: All throughout the first chapter the PC's run across several seven pointed stars. Perhaps the first one they won't care about, but after the second time they see it, they're going to have questions and want answers, so knowledge checks will be rolled.

The question is this: How would you handle revealing the truth about the what the seven pointed star means and all the info that accompanies it?

I had figured incorporating Brodert Quink and having him give them info, but how much should I fill them in on? Does the AP ever give more info in subsequent chapters that I could potentially spoil? etc etc.

We got a big portion of info recently playing the second part of the adventure path. I imagine it would be better to bring in the academic early form that section and pepper the info. The big thing I dislike about the path is the way the scale of the base town seems to shift from the initial festival (where I picture a smaller podunk sort of town) to the second act (where it suddenly seems to be a minor city) probably just a DM thing but might watch it.

Nibbens
2014-12-09, 03:08 PM
We got a big portion of info recently playing the second part of the adventure path. I imagine it would be better to bring in the academic early form that section and pepper the info. The big thing I dislike about the path is the way the scale of the base town seems to shift from the initial festival (where I picture a smaller podunk sort of town) to the second act (where it suddenly seems to be a minor city) probably just a DM thing but might watch it.

Really!? Okay, I may have to jump ahead and look to see what relevant info can be given to make a staged release. What specifically caused you guys to get the info?

skypse
2014-12-09, 05:58 PM
Actually you shouldn't let them know anything. Even if they manage to get a high knowledge score, your answer could just be "nothing". The AP gives info about the star later if you read the rest of the books. If you give them 2nd or 3rd book knowledge from now, they could easily derail the story and mess up something later on.

CGNefarious
2014-12-09, 08:25 PM
From what I understand a lot of that knowledge is just not really known, so even if they got a 50 on their knowledge check it wouldn't really reveal much to them. Brodert might have some ideas on some of the stuff, but even he doesn't really know most of it, and I doubt any of your PCs have devoted their life to learning about ancient Thassilon like he has. A lot of that info is just stuff that they need to uncover as the adventure goes on.

But that's not to say you should never give them any info. Your best bet is to read through the AP and decide what knowledge you think they should/could have with the right knowledge rolls. Definitely don't make it easy, it is lost knowledge after all. But if PCs invest into the knowledges they should definitely be rewarded somehow.

Nibbens
2014-12-09, 09:55 PM
Actually you shouldn't let them know anything. Even if they manage to get a high knowledge score, your answer could just be "nothing". The AP gives info about the star later if you read the rest of the books. If you give them 2nd or 3rd book knowledge from now, they could easily derail the story and mess up something later on.

Okay, this makes sense - I'm delving into the other books now. I did find this: "A DC 25 Knowledge (arcana or history) check is enough to identify the marking as the Sihedron Rune, an antiquated glyph that symbolizes arcane magic once practiced in ancient Thassilon." - this was in reference to the PC's seeing the star in Chapter 2.

and

"A PC who can make a DC 25 Knowledge (arcana or history) check can provide much ofthe same information about the Sihedron Rune as can Brodert, but a visit to the old sage can still serve to introduce yet another of Sandpoint's locals to the PCs." - in reference to visiting the old sage.

My question is why would the PC's not know the info of a DC25 in chapter 1, but suddenly get it on a DC25 in chapter 2? I guess this is an oversight on the designers having the AP produced in smaller chunks? My PC's are the type to give me a hard time about this sort of thing, because they will want to know. lol.

CGNefarious
2014-12-09, 11:31 PM
I think that has more to do with the abstract nature of skill ranks and knowledge rolls. If your PCs give you a hard time about not being able to recognize it before, tell them it has to due with circumstance bonuses. Since they've seen more and can better place it in context, their memory was jogged and they can now piece together what it meant. If you want to plan into it, when they make the first knowledge check say that it seems familiar, but they can't place the symbol. Basically just present it in a way that makes sense.

Or if you'd prefer make them go to Brodert for all their info. When the roll their check you could say something like "You seem to remember this symbol in one of his books" or "You get the feeling this is something Brodert Quink might know about." Just some ideas. Really it's all up to how you want to do it.

Nibbens
2014-12-10, 02:00 PM
I think that has more to do with the abstract nature of skill ranks and knowledge rolls. If your PCs give you a hard time about not being able to recognize it before, tell them it has to due with circumstance bonuses. Since they've seen more and can better place it in context, their memory was jogged and they can now piece together what it meant. If you want to plan into it, when they make the first knowledge check say that it seems familiar, but they can't place the symbol. Basically just present it in a way that makes sense.

Or if you'd prefer make them go to Brodert for all their info. When the roll their check you could say something like "You seem to remember this symbol in one of his books" or "You get the feeling this is something Brodert Quink might know about." Just some ideas. Really it's all up to how you want to do it.

All of this is really good! Thanks much!

skypse
2014-12-10, 02:38 PM
My question is why would the PC's not know the info of a DC25 in chapter 1, but suddenly get it on a DC25 in chapter 2? I guess this is an oversight on the designers having the AP produced in smaller chunks? My PC's are the type to give me a hard time about this sort of thing, because they will want to know. lol.

Ok first of all they shouldn't do that as a principle but it's your table. Second, during the downtime from 1st book to the 2nd, you can say that the wizard of the party spent some time to the libraries of the temple or that they have heard various stories about Sandpoint's past while they were staying in the town wondering around and talking with people at the Rusty Dragon and the White Deer or at the docks where merchants come and go from Magnimar.

Nibbens
2014-12-10, 05:50 PM
Ok first of all they shouldn't do that as a principle but it's your table.

Lol. Yeah, my guys/gals are pretty tenacious when it comes to a story making sense. They would be more than willing to point out a logical flaw like this, just to make sure I'm aware of it. My players want and deserve flawlessness in the storytelling - and I try to give them that. Which is the reason for this post. I still haven't had the time to read the whole AP and i'm just trying to make sure I don't spoil/miss a chance for a good reveal.

skypse
2014-12-10, 07:33 PM
There is a difference between trying to bring logic to the table and using said logic saying "I rolled a total of 25 and you didn't tell me 2 weeks ago and now I roll 23 and you tell me! How is that?"