PDA

View Full Version : different classes for the fun of it!!

djwood
2014-12-09, 03:00 PM
I'm gonna be a part of a new D&D group and wanted to try some classes that aren't in the PHB but aren't OP hamm

we are all gonna start lvl 8

its mostly gonna be RP campaign

and if you want to suggest me a suitable race for your classe go ahead! :)

most of all it's just gonna be for fun and get a couple laughs so odd mixes are accepted like (kawaii half-orc that his highest stat was 18 on CHAR and he was a monk it didn't work well in battle BUT THE RP THO!)

anyways thank you in advance and can't wait to see your ideas!

Mr.Cobalt
2014-12-09, 03:03 PM
If you want RP the Warlock from Complete Arcane and the Dragonfire Adept from Dragon Magic have some rather interesting at-will abilities including "diplomancer" options.

Galen
2014-12-09, 03:04 PM
Favored Soul. They are the chosen servants of a god, but don't get Knowledge: Religion as a class skill. So by strict interpretation, one might say they have no idea about the god they are the chosen servants of.

I ride to battle for the glory of ... uhm, the big bearded guy in the sky!

paperarmor
2014-12-09, 03:08 PM
Scout from Complete Adventurer is a fun spelless ranger class.

Beguiler From PHBII is an awesome illusion focused class

djwood
2014-12-09, 03:09 PM
If you want RP the Warlock from Complete Arcane and the Dragonfire Adept from Dragon Magic have some rather interesting at-will abilities including "diplomancer" options.

thank you friend I'll go check it out!

djwood
2014-12-09, 03:10 PM
Scout from Complete Adventurer is a fun spelless ranger class.

Beguiler From PHBII is an awesome illusion focused class

hahaha the mind F*** I could make happen xd thank you!! I'll check it out!

paperarmor
2014-12-09, 03:14 PM
hahaha the mind F*** I could make happen xd thank you!! I'll check it out!

You're welcome for race see if Changling from the Eberron Campagin setting and MMIII is on the table as that is one of my personal favorite combinations

Flickerdart
2014-12-09, 03:14 PM
Well, you're not giving us much to go on, so I'm just going to mention some classes that are radically different from those in the PHB but serve the same 4 party roles and see what happens.

The skill-monkey: Incarnates are the wackiest choice here. They are mechanically difficult to master, but can give themselves bonuses to many different skills, making them excellent at having just the right tool for the job. Psychic rogues are neat, since they balance the skills and sneak attacks with a nice portion of stealthy psionic powers. Wouldn't it be cool if your rogue could jedi mind trick people to not pay attention to him while he's robbing them blind? Finally, factotums are easily the most versatile non-caster class in the game, but don't confuse versatility with power. While they can do a little bit of everything, none of their abilities will single-handedly turn the tide of battle without some clever use. A factotum player is never bored! An honorary mention in this category is scout, a sort of mix between rogue and ranger. If you're going out into the wilderness, a scout will do a great job.

The front-line meat: Forget iterative attacks, because the totemist is all about natural attacks! Duct-tape claws, slams, tail slaps, bites, gores, and so forth to yourself and go forth into battle. Just like the incarnate above, this is an incarnum class and can be tricky to figure out. The Tome of Battle classes (warblade, swordsage, and crusader) are a definite shoe-in for this category, as they forego full attacks in favor of standard action strikes, swift action boosts, and immediate action counters that make fights dynamic and interesting. Finally, classes like the duskblade mix a little bit of magic into their melee, for that time you just really want to stab your enemy and also set them on fire at the same time.

The nerd with the hat: For offensive magic, take a look at the warlock class. Fly around and shoot lasers at your enemies, turn invisible and then explode, teleport away and leave an illusion behind - warlocks get up to all kinds of stuff. Consider the psion or wu jen, both a different take on the caster. Be careful though, as both of them are tier 2 classes, and can be very powerful in the right hands. The beguiler is a cross between a wizard and rogue, sneaking around and tricking people into tripping over on their own sword.

The dogmatic nutjob: Spirit shamans (also a tier 2 class) are sort of a weird but cool cross between druids and sorcerers. Dread necromancers are focused on controlling massive stacks of undead and slinging around negative energy. Conceptually, binders are a really cool take on a similar idea (making pacts with extra-dimensional entities rather than gods) but they don't overlap much in the skill set. Shugenja are the eastern version of this role.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-09, 03:26 PM
Truenamer.

:sabine:

Seriously though, it gets a bad rap (that it -does- deserve to some extent) but it's definitely different. You literally tell the universe to shut up and do what you tell it to. In it's own language no less.

Flickerdart
2014-12-09, 03:29 PM
You literally tell the universe to shut up and do what you tell it to. In it's own language no less.
But then it turns out that you studied British Universe while it actually speaks American Universe and there are all sorts of hilarious misunderstandings and in the end, instead of a glorious fun-having beef wellington, you're stuck with the soggy cheeseburger of shame.

djwood
2014-12-09, 03:32 PM
Well, you're not giving us much to go on, so I'm just going to mention some classes that are radically different from those in the PHB but serve the same 4 party roles and see what happens.

The skill-monkey: Incarnates are the wackiest choice here. They are mechanically difficult to master, but can give themselves bonuses to many different skills, making them excellent at having just the right tool for the job. Psychic rogues are neat, since they balance the skills and sneak attacks with a nice portion of stealthy psionic powers. Wouldn't it be cool if your rogue could jedi mind trick people to not pay attention to him while he's robbing them blind? Finally, factotums are easily the most versatile non-caster class in the game, but don't confuse versatility with power. While they can do a little bit of everything, none of their abilities will single-handedly turn the tide of battle without some clever use. A factotum player is never bored! An honorary mention in this category is scout, a sort of mix between rogue and ranger. If you're going out into the wilderness, a scout will do a great job.

The front-line meat: Forget iterative attacks, because the totemist is all about natural attacks! Duct-tape claws, slams, tail slaps, bites, gores, and so forth to yourself and go forth into battle. Just like the incarnate above, this is an incarnum class and can be tricky to figure out. The Tome of Battle classes (warblade, swordsage, and crusader) are a definite shoe-in for this category, as they forego full attacks in favor of standard action strikes, swift action boosts, and immediate action counters that make fights dynamic and interesting. Finally, classes like the duskblade mix a little bit of magic into their melee, for that time you just really want to stab your enemy and also set them on fire at the same time.

The nerd with the hat: For offensive magic, take a look at the warlock class. Fly around and shoot lasers at your enemies, turn invisible and then explode, teleport away and leave an illusion behind - warlocks get up to all kinds of stuff. Consider the psion or wu jen, both a different take on the caster. Be careful though, as both of them are tier 2 classes, and can be very powerful in the right hands. The beguiler is a cross between a wizard and rogue, sneaking around and tricking people into tripping over on their own sword.

The dogmatic nutjob: Spirit shamans (also a tier 2 class) are sort of a weird but cool cross between druids and sorcerers. Dread necromancers are focused on controlling massive stacks of undead and slinging around negative energy. Conceptually, binders are a really cool take on a similar idea (making pacts with extra-dimensional entities rather than gods) but they don't overlap much in the skill set. Shugenja are the eastern version of this role.

deeply sorry I forgot to say where this D&D gonna take place. my DM is most likely gonna do it in the forgotten realm or faerum and please tell me more of the skill monkey it interests me haha!

Fouredged Sword
2014-12-09, 03:35 PM
Well, whenever I can't decide on a class, I play everything.

Factotum 5 / Chameleon 3 is a perfectly viable class setup. Tons of fun when you remember that you have a floating feat you can change every morning.

Also, at level 8 factotums just hit their major breaking point. Factotums are the best skill class in the game with all class skills and a heavy int focus, plus the ability to fake skills they don't really have.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-09, 03:52 PM
But then it turns out that you studied British Universe while it actually speaks American Universe and there are all sorts of hilarious misunderstandings and in the end, instead of a glorious fun-having beef wellington, you're stuck with the soggy cheeseburger of shame.

This just led to an interesting, IMO, idea. When you fail a truenaming check, instead of the effect simply failing the universe misunderstands and you get a randomly determined effect ala the wild magic table. Could be amusing.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-09, 04:17 PM
Play an artificer who's father broke a deal with a powerful devil. As punishment, every time the Artificer would gain an item creation feat, a devil teleports in a chaos shuffles it away.

Flickerdart
2014-12-09, 04:29 PM
deeply sorry I forgot to say where this D&D gonna take place. my DM is most likely gonna do it in the forgotten realm or faerum and please tell me more of the skill monkey it interests me haha!
Okeydoke.

Incarnate (Magic of Incarnum): At a glance, these don't look like much. d6 HD, 1/2 BAB, 2+Int skill points is awful. Their true strength lies in two things: Soulmelds (think of them as magic items that the incarnate puts on to gain bonuses) and Essentia. Essentia can be invested into soulmelds to increase their bonuses; typically, soulmelds will give bonuses to a couple of skills and essentia increases those bonuses. Soulmelds can also be bound to various chakras (like magic item slots, gradually unlocked) to open up cool powers like teleportation, shooting acid from your face, and so forth. The really cool thing about them is that every single soulmeld is open to be used at level 1, and most scaling is derived from getting more essentia and better chakras.

Psychic rogue (web article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b)): Very similar to standard rogues chassis-wise. They get a bunch of psionic powers (sort of like spells, but based on MP rather than slots; they can be augmented (by spending extra MP) to have more powerful effects) and other abilities that revolve around mental effects. One of the coolest ways in which they differ from standard rogues is the special ability Mind Cripple that replaces Crippling Strike; it deals 2 Intelligence damage with every sneak attack. That big beefy ogre things he's so fancy with his massive chunky muscles and stacks upon stacks of HP? Stab him in his freakin' mind instead.

Factotum (Dungeonscape): Factotums (not factota, especially not factoti) are your classic jacks of all trades. First thing you notice: every skill is a class skill. They gain a small pool of Inspiration points that refreshes every encounter, and can be used to whip out a temporary imitation of other classes' abilities like sneak attack, turning, etc. They are heavily Intelligence-based and can add it to pretty much anything, and also have a very limited ability to cast spells for when their crazy array of tricks doesn't cut it.

Scout (Complete Adventurer): The scout doesn't stay still - his iconic ability is Skirmish, which makes his attacks stronger and him harder to hit whenever he moves. He is the only class other than rogue to get 8+Int skill points (although a Factotum will still probably have more thanks to an Int focus). Scouts also get trapfinding and camouflage, which help them fill the rogue's shoes. There is a feat (Swift Hunter) that allows a Scout/Ranger multiclass to progress favored enemy and skirmish at the same time; Scout 4/Ranger 16 or Scout 3/Ranger 17 are the most common splits for this kind of build, but you can certainly take more scout levels and fewer ranger levels.