PDA

View Full Version : Template compatibility

N0RKS
2014-12-09, 03:31 PM
I'm about to start a game of 3.5 in a few weeks and my DM has said that we all get LA+4 free during character creation, and said that we should find races or templates to equal that.
The campaign is set in a land ruled by tyranical arcane magic users and we are a collection of "alternative" types of magic, psionics, truenaming, artificers, dragon shamans, warlocks etc.
Our job is to fight against the mages in charge and stop the oppression, with this in mind I thought I'd play a Human Swordsage with the Spellwarped template as this would give me something of an edge fighting casters as well as giving him a reason to dislike mages as they tampered with his humanity. Spellwarped is LA+3 so the DM told me to find another template with LA+1 to give me +4 total and I have my eye on two of them, but I can't decide which to go for.

Dark Creature
http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/dark.shtml
The bonuses to stealth skills look nice and might help with a potential focus on Diamond Mind and Shadow Hand. Darkvision is always good for a human, and +10 to all movement is nothing to be scoffed at either.

or

Blooded One
http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/bloodedone.shtml
DM has said that alignments are no problem and that the fluff about being controlled by red-wizards doesn't apply. I like how this lines up with spellwarped thematically, natural armor bonus is nice considering I'll be in light armor all the time. The stat bonuses are not bad, it would leave me with +6 STR, +8 CON, +2 INT, and +2 DEX after totaling with spellwarped.

You lot are much more experienced than I am when it comes to this stuff, what are the pros and cons I might have missed?

Uncle Pine
2014-12-09, 03:52 PM
I'd go with Dark: the Blooded template does offer a couple of nice ability boosts, but that's all. War Cry is just plain terrible and AC doesn't generally scale enough to be relevant. As you'll probably face a lot of spellcasters and their touch attacks (via Wraithstrike or ranged touch attacks), expect natural AC to be virtually useless. On the other hand, the Dark template boosts exactly what you need against spellcasters (or everyone else, really): mobility and stealth. Add the Darkstalker feat and you're set.

Rebel7284
2014-12-09, 04:05 PM
They are good in different ways.
Stealth can be important and dark helps with that.
+4 Con is always useful for a bunch of extra HP and Fort saves.
Note that you may be able to buy the collar of umbral metamorphosis and get the dark template that way.

You can also perhaps pick up the shadow walker template and go into Telflamar Shadowlord for a full attack after every Shadow Jaunt! Edit: Unless the few spells you get from TSL make you enough of an arcane caster to not work RP wise. xD

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-12-09, 04:24 PM
You should consider Feral from Savage Species. Pounce at 4th level for free, bunch of stat bonuses (-4 int though), claws, fast healing, just all around great.

atemu1234
2014-12-09, 05:45 PM
You should consider Feral from Savage Species. Pounce at 4th level for free, bunch of stat bonuses (-4 int though), claws, fast healing, just all around great.

Throw in Quorbred, an LA +2 template from... crap I don't remember. Some eberron book. Get that Int back up there, but dump wisdom and charisma.