PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [5e] Bel, Former Lord of the First Hell

Xefas
2014-12-09, 04:02 PM
So, while reading the 5e Dungeon Master's Guide, I came across this entertaining bit where the reigning Archduke of the First Hell in 3rd edition, Bel, has been supplanted by Zariel, the former duke that he had, in turn, previously betrayed and imprisoned. It's like a revolving door of treachery. Anyway, instead of smiting him, Zariel has inflicted the much more humiliating fate of going over his head and having him forced to serve her as her underling. (page 64, if anyone is interested)

I found that entertaining enough that I whipped up a statblock/canned boss-fight for poor Bel, in case anyone feels like raiding the Nine Hells with their adventuring party.

Picture courtesy of the 3.5e Fiendish Codex II (I think).

http://i.imgur.com/34uvl0e.jpg

Bel, Majordomo of the Bronze Citadel
Large Fiend (Devil), Lawful Evil

Armor Class: 20
Hit Points: 325 (26d10 + 182)
Speed: 30ft, fly 60ft

Str: 26 Dex: 16 Con: 24 Int: 26 Wis: 20 Cha: 24

Saving Throws: Str +9, Dex +11, Con +15, Int +9, Wis +13, Cha +8
Damage Resistances: Cold; Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing from nonmagical, nonsilver weapons
Damage Immunities: Fire, Poison
Condition Immunities: Poisoned
Skills: Arcana +15, Deception +14, Insight +12, Intimidation +14, Investigation +15, Perception +12, Persuasion +14, Religion +15
Senses: truesight 120ft, passive Perception 22
Languages: Infernal, telepathy 120ft
Challenge: 22

Legendary Resistance (3/Day): If Bel fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.

Equipment: Bel carries a Ring of Protection, which grants him a +1 bonus to his Armor Class and to all of his saving throws, which is factored into the above statistics. In addition, he possesses a unique legendary greatsword known as Demon-Butcher. For anyone, it functions as a +3 Greatsword. When it is attuned to by a Lawful Evil character, it bestows the power to ignore the racial Damage Resistances, Damage Immunities, and Condition Immunities possessed by demons that they target with their attacks, spells, class features, or racial abilities. This allows Bel to, for example, poison a Balor with his racial bite attack, or deal full fire damage when he casts Wall of Fire against a group of advancing demons. Furthermore, if the attuned character holds a rank within a formal military organization, all lower-ranked members under the character's command, within 60ft, benefit from the same demonic-Damage Resistance/Damage Immunity/Condition Immunity-penetrating effect.

Highly Magical: Bel has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects. Any attack he makes is considered magical for bypassing Damage Resistance and Immunity.

Innate Spellcasting: Bel's spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 22). Bel can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
At-Will: Detect Magic, Fireball
3/day each: Hold Monster, Wall of Fire

Fear-Me-But-Follow Aura: Bel's ascension to Archfiend status mutated his Pit Fiend aura into something greater. Even demoted to a Duke, it remains altered, though diminished. Allied Lesser Devils within 60ft of Bel, that are his lawful subordinate and rightfully fear him, add his Charisma modifier (+7) to their attack rolls.

Superiority Dice: Bel has six Superiority Dice, which are d12s. He regains them all after a short or long rest.

Actions

Multiattack. Bel makes three attacks: one with his bite, one with Demon-Butcher, and one with his tail.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 5ft, one target. Hit: 22 (4d6+8) piercing damage. The target must succeed on a DC 21 Constitution saving throw or become poisoned. While poisoned in this way, the target can't regain hit points, and it takes 21 (6d6) poison damage at the start of each of its turns. The poisoned target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Demon-Butcher. Melee Weapon Attack: +18 to hit, reach 10ft, one target. Hit: 22 (4d6+11) slashing damage.

Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 10ft, one target. Hit: 24 (3d10+8) bludgeoning damage.

Legendary Actions
Bel can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. Bel regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn. A Battle Master Fighter that observes Bel use one of his Legendary Actions automatically understands the mechanics behind it.

Legendary Commander's Strike: Bel expends one Superiority Die and chooses one Lesser Devil under his command within 60ft for each enemy he can perceive within 60ft. Each chosen Lesser Devil can move up to its speed and make a single melee weapon attack, adding the number rolled on Bel's Superiority Die to its damage. Each chosen Lesser Devil must attack a different foe.

Legendary Parry: Bel expends a Superiority Die and enters a defensive stance. The next attack roll made against him (including ranged and spell attacks) before the beginning of his next turn takes a penalty on the attack roll equal to the result shown on the die.

Legendary Rally: Bel expends one Superiority Die. All Lesser Devils under his command within 60ft gain temporary hit points equal to the number rolled plus his Charisma modifier (+7).

Legendary Riposte: Bel can only trigger this Legendary Action at the end of a creature's turn that missed him with a melee attack and is still within 10ft of him. He makes an attack with Demon-Butcher against that creature. If he hits, he expends a Superiority Die and adds its result to the damage. In addition, if the target is Huge or smaller, they must make a Strength saving throw (DC 23) or be knocked up to 30ft away and land prone.

Legendary Sweeping Attack: Bel makes an attack with Demon-Butcher. If he hits, he expends a Superiority Die. All foes within 10ft that have an Armor Class low enough to be struck by his initial attack roll take damage equal to the number rolled on Bel's Superiority Die.

Sudden Demotion!: Bel exercises his privilege as Majordomo to bypass the legal proceedings of a proper demotion, instantly plummeting one Lesser Devil under his command within 60ft to Lemure status. The resulting Lemure is especially feeble, having only one hit point remaining from its normal total. Bel absorbs the released soul energy, gaining a second wind that heals him for 1d10+26 hit points, relentlessly restoring one of his spent Superiority Dice, and regaining one daily use of his Legendary Resistance ability, making him ever-more indomitable.

Bel's Lair: The Bronze Citadel
Though devils are not known for their random acts of charity and compassion, within Bel's domain, those drafted into the Blood War are quick to flock to his aid, even goes as far as to lay down their lives for an opportunity at promotion, that they might escape the grinding, wretched futility of Hell's war (or at least come away with a form better suited for surviving it). That is why, anywhere in the fortress-city of the Bronze Citadel, facing the fallen ruler of Avernus alone is impossible.

Lair Actions
On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties) during each round Bel is in combat within the Bronze Citadel, one of the following occurs; the same option cannot be chosen two rounds in a row.

Four Spined Devils enter the encounter and roll initiative, swooping down from the sky if outside, or bursting through windows or doorways if inside a structure.
Two Bearded Devils and a Spined Devil enter the encounter and roll initiative, appearing out of buildings or alleyways, or running through a doorway.
One Barbed Devil or Chain Devil enters the encounter and rolls initiative, appearing out of buildings or alleyways, or running through a doorway.
Ten Lemures enter the encounter and roll initiative, crawling en masse out of their various hiding places.

Training With Bel
As one of the most instrumental commanders in the legions of Hell, Bel has precious little time for any pursuit outside of coordinating the Blood War. However, he could potentially make time for a promising pupil in exchange for a great service rendered. The usurpation of Zariel is his first and foremost desire, though the defeat of a Demon Prince or Princess whose forces are active in the Blood War could also be sufficient.

Although Bel's preferred alignment is, of course, Lawful Evil, he is more than willing to train a Neutral Evil, Lawful Neutral, or True Neutral character. However, the specifics of his training regimen involve the torment, degradation, and subjugation of sapient creatures. Willingly following through with it is a heinously evil act.

Once the training is complete, the character receives one of the two following Epic Boons (DMG pg231).

Lesser Boon of the Infernal Warlord
A Fighter with a subclass other than Battle Master, or a Fiend-Pact Warlock with an infernal patron can obtain this boon.

You learn the Commander's Strike and Rally maneuvers, as well as two other maneuvers of your choice, drawn from the Battle Master achetype for the fighter class. The saving throw DC for resisting these maneuvers' effects equals (8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength or Dexterity modifier).

You gain two d8 Superiority dice.

Greater Boon of the Infernal Warlord
A Fighter with the Battle Master archetype can obtain this boon.

Once per round, you may activate your Commander's Strike or Rally maneuvers without spending an action. In the former case, you need not use the Attack action, nor forgo one of your attacks. Furthermore, your Rally maneuver effects one ally, or a number of allies equal to your Charisma modifier, whichever is higher.

Lastly, you gain a special d12 Infernal Superiority Die, which functions the same as your other Superiority Dice, with the following exception. When you expend this die as part of a maneuver, your body swells with fiendish power, venting gouts of blood-red fire from your eyes and mouth. You add your Charisma modifier to the save DC to resist the maneuver you expended your Infernal Superiority Die with, if any, and until the beginning of your next turn, you are immune to the poisoned condition, fire and poison damage, and have resistance to the damage of non-magical non-silver weapons.

Amechra
2014-12-10, 03:02 PM
Looks pretty sweet; I like Sudden Demotion quite a bit.

dave2008
2016-10-06, 09:35 PM
This is great! Do mind if I post in my Epic Updates thread over at EnWorld? (Just search 5E Epic Updates over there, evidently as a new member to the forum I can't post links yet)

I will of course credit you and provide a link to the original.

Devcon1
2016-10-06, 11:18 PM
Really nice! I especially like that Training with Bel section, very unique and interesting!

Though, I do have one question; wasn't it said that the Blood War ended in 5e? I thought I read in SCAG that Asmodeus became a god and tossed the Abyss into the Elemental Chaos, thereby ending the conflict? Or am I mistaken?

Quintus Vorenus
2016-10-10, 08:49 AM
Realy good homebrew!

Cool!