PDA

View Full Version : exotic and magical hallways and rooms.

Shinizak
2014-12-09, 05:15 PM
I love dungeons, and tombs, ,and other amazing places in my game. I love interesting traps, or rooms with exciting and bizarre effects or designs. What are some exotic hallways, rooms, doors, chairs, kitchen sinks, etc. That you've designed/encountered?

I personally am very fond of creating traps that open up into the inner workings of the dungeon for a "behind the scenes" adventure,sorta like portal did.

Totema
2014-12-10, 12:04 AM
I'm fond of the "hallway that never seems to end", a la the staircase in Super Mario 64. PCs would need to fulfill some kind of condition in order to actually get through the hallway.

Jay R
2014-12-10, 12:20 PM
I just came up with one, and I'm looking forward to seeing how well it works. Halfway down a long corridor leading into the mountain, there is a portcullis down, blocking the way. fifteen feet beyond is a lever. It is intended to look as if it can be opened only from inside, as a security measure. Any reasonable method (a rope, telekinesis, etc.) will pull the lever and activate it.

Activate what? The lever has nothing to do with the portcullis. It opens the trap door directly under anybody in front of the portcullis.

A careful search will reveal a subtle stone on the outside that can easily be pushed - if you are standing on the closed trap door. The trap door cannot be reset in that corridor.

--------

Further down the corridor will open into a large chamber. When they first step into the chamber, a booming voice calls out, “You have come to test yourselves, to see if you are worthy.”

"Send forth your strongest." A square about twenty feet in front of them will glow with a subtle golden glow. When their fighter stands on it, an ogre (or something) will appear to challenge it. At the end of the encounter, the voice will boom again.

“Send forth your most intelligent.”
“Send forth your wisest.”
“Send forth your most healthy.”
“Send forth your most dexterous.”
“Send forth your greatest leader.”

“Send forth your greatest Wizard.”
“Send forth your greatest Cleric.”
“Send forth your greatest Thief.”
etc.

The kicker is that there is no end, because this is not a test to prove you are "worthy", it's purely defensive. Stepping in the room, or defeating a summoned creature, triggers the voice. Stepping on the glowing flagstone triggers a summoning spell. Merely ignoring it and walking around the flagstone bypasses the trap. If the wizard had wanted you there, you'd have been told not to stand on the square.