PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Environmental PrCs

Threadnaught
2014-12-09, 05:26 PM
I'm wanting to go Epic with each Tier 1 Class, but I don't want to go a full 30 levels in each Class, when there are Prestige Classes like Urban Soul. So I've begun working on five concepts, Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Sha'ir and Wizard.

So far I have three Classes each with an area of a world allocated to them as their domain, I need to sort out the domain of the other two and a Prestige Class for three of them.

Cleric is the only one with native ability to cast Animate City, so I'm giving the cities to the Cleric along with max levels in Urban Soul for Teleportation from City to City.
Sha'ir is to become Sky Pledged and conquer the skies using Air based Spells.

I fancy the Druid ruling the land between cities. I'm not sure which PrC to give though, my first thought was Planar Shepherd tied to Lamannia, but that's malleable.

Artificer and Wizard, I want one to rule the seas but I have no idea what environment to gift the other one. As for their Prestige Classes, I have absolutely no idea what to make either of them become, I considered Chameleon and Loredelver but I'm unsure which environment each of those would be best suited to. DM has stated they'll allow Aging Effects to affect Catfolk, Centaurs, Gnolls, Killoren and Raptorans as written in Races of the Wild.

So I need a little help making this decision.
Who gets the sea and what is the final environment?
And what Prestige Classes to give the Artificer, Druid and Wizard?
I would prefer a simple build for each (as I'm the one making the final build), but it isn't set in stone as of yet.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-09, 06:36 PM
Give the Wizard the seas. Look at Stormwrack for PrCs; maybe Wiz 10/Sea Witch 10/Stormcaster 10. There might be a thing or two from Frostburn that's also of interest, not sure.

Then give the Druid everything aboveground outside of settlements, and give the Artificer everything below.

The issue with Artificer PrCs is that there aren't many classes that progress infusions. Maybe Artificer 20/Earth Dreamer 5/[something else] 5?

Threadnaught
2014-12-09, 08:40 PM
Give the Wizard the seas.

I'd need a good Racial suggestion for this.

Look at Stormwrack for PrCs; maybe Wiz 10/Sea Witch 10/Stormcaster 10.

Ack, the one environmental book (ignoring Dungeonscape and Cityscape) I don't currently own. It'll be a while before I get to the point where it becomes relevant though so I can add it onto my list of orders.

There might be a thing or two from Frostburn that's also of interest, not sure.

Frost Mage? I'll take a closer look next chance I get.

Then give the Druid everything aboveground outside of settlements

That's the plan. ;)
Unsure what to make of Race or which PrC to actually use, but I want to use Spells that modify the landscape and change the ground characters walk on. Does Races of Stone have anything that suits the theme beter than Planar Shepherd?

and give the Artificer everything below.

This is where I'd considered sending the Wizard with either Chameleon or Loredelver, but I wondered whether it is too similar to the Druid's environment.

The issue with Artificer PrCs is that there aren't many classes that progress infusions. Maybe Artificer 20/Earth Dreamer 5/[something else] 5?

Caster Level progression isn't important, it is a nice thing to have, but I'd prefer to stick to the theme. Cleric for example is going full Urban Soul to gain all of it's city based abilities, and I'm taking the City Domain in order to take Permanent Emanation (Animate City), not the best use of resources, but it is in line with the theme.

Sha'ir 20 is suboptimal too as it makes Spell casting awkward, though I can get Skypledged early enough and it does allow me to cast 9ths without devoting too much to Sha'ir. Perhaps another Air based PrC is the way to go, along with Skypledged?Stormtalon looks like it may have some value, but I'm open to other suggestions.

It goes without saying, races chosen so far are.
Artificer: ????
Cleric: Human
Druid: ???? (Considering Goliath)
Sha'ir: Raptoran
Wizard: ???? (Considered Illumian, considering Warforged)