PDA

View Full Version : Help escaping a Groundhogs Day campaign!

Alikat
2014-12-09, 05:58 PM
Here’s what I’m working with so far:

Party:
lvl 1 thug variant sneak attack human fighter, neutral evil
lvl 1 halfling bard, neutral evil

Situation:
We wake up with throbbing headaches on the ground in the center of a long alleyway between a couple warehouses. We don’t know each other, and our last memories are of travelling in the woods outside town(separately). It appears to be the wrong time of year, hinting a lot of time has passed.

Depending what we do, anywhere between about 12 to 45 seconds after waking up we’re assaulted by a pair of giant origami paper golems which can ‘unfold’ themselves to travel like a sheet of paper on the wind very quickly. We tried all sorts of combat solutions and running away but only hiding before they have a chance to come into line of sight seems to work.

On one of the attempts to run away we made it far enough to spot a man at the end of the alley who appeared to be commanding them, a lucky bardic knowledge roll revealed him to be a fairly well known Justicar and defender of the realm with a reputation for being a real hardliner when it comes to the law. He also coincidentally seems to share all the physical and personality traits of my DM’s rl boss who fired him last week. >>

We’ve tried abusing game mechanics like killing each other over and over again to gain levels but it didn’t seem to work. We also can’t consistently fight even a pair of city guards without dying. Combat solutions are mostly proving fruitless as everything seems to be much higher level than us. Any solution that involved doing something over and over again til only a nat 20 gave success seemed to fall apart shortly afterwards too.

Information we’ve gained so far:

We’re now wanted criminals, allegedly we slaughtered a small village in the period of our missing memory.

The city we live in has come under control of an authoritarian regime over the course of the last 9 months or so that we have no memory. People are disappearing or being imprisoned and executed over fairly minor crimes. Each time the city confiscates the persons wealth and land.

The poor part of town my character is from(the fighter) has become gentrified and is under a curfew. Every person is required to have identification papers. We couldn’t even get a room at an inn without a pair of forged ID papers we had to murder a couple peasants to obtain. Old friends want nothing to do with me, they're too frightened of the powers that be and the martial law the towns fallen under.

Wanted posters of us are everywhere, making it past the harbor checkpoints or outside the city walls is near impossible without being identified, even with really good disguise checks.

Our primary antagonist, the justicar, seems interested in obtaining a set of weapons that used to be in our possession that we know nothing about(hints of phat lewtz to be found). In addition to executing us of course, which he’s done a number of times now.

Two deaths ago, our ‘reset’ point changed, to just after we murder people to steal and alter their ID papers.

The last death before we ended the session for the night, we reset to that same point, but still had the wounds that had killed us, and we were at 1 hp. The only difference we can figure out is during that cycle we received healing magic; they didn’t want us to look so roughed up by the city guard before executing us.

This feels like a puzzle campaign, and the puzzle progressed more based on role play decisions than how we used game mechanics. But I’m running out of ideas to escape this maze and figure out its rules. I’m hoping you guys can infuse me with some new creativity, please help!

Blackhawk748
2014-12-09, 06:04 PM
Not sure if youve tried this or not already but go and hide in the sewer, that could at least buy you time. Also its exit point should be out of town so you can at least leave and try to figure out WTF is going on.

On a different note this sounds like a lot of fun.

Renen
2014-12-09, 06:36 PM
Have you tried putting up your arms abd yelling "we surrender"?

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-09, 06:39 PM
How to escape a Groundhog Day campaign? Easy.

1. Fold your character sheet in half.
2. Fold your character sheet in half again.
3. Walk out of the room, tossing your character sheet into the trash on the way.
4. Don't ever return.

Oh, you want your character to escape. Well.

ETA: Don't worry, this is a joke. I'm not that cynical.

Alikat
2014-12-09, 06:45 PM
Have you tried putting up your arms abd yelling "we surrender"?

Yes Actually :D I saw that Dr. Who episode lol.

Renen
2014-12-09, 07:02 PM
Cuz you fund out way more from being "taken to their leader" than running around blind.