PDA

View Full Version : [4E Swordlands] Lord of a wooden hall

Leolo
2014-12-09, 09:35 PM
"I will not refuse the wish of the dead. Nor will i excuse myself with prevarication and the fear that your enemy inflicts. My walls are your walls for as long as you need shelter my lady."

Maria had found the protection of a good man, that's for sure. Lord Rian of the wooden hall doesn't command much more than a hundred men under arms, and his land is not much more as the endless green waves of grass in the northern hills, a road and a river in the midst of the wilderness. And still, as a refugee and in this moment the old warrior looks as gentle and noble as a king.

"This is the chamber of my son, and you can use it until he will return from his campaign against the redclaw raiders. I'll call the servant later, so that you will not miss a thing under my roof. I'll show this letter to a man wiser than myself, so we can decide what to do with you later."

he said, taking away the small paper describing why maria had to flee from westgate far over the ocean to the end of the world.

The next week floated away fast. Rian always had use for adventurers, and so he also insisted on the help of Helcarion and Theran. He gave them old tomes in the elven scripture that he wasn't able to decipher, stories of the kingdom of Amra that once - some hundred years ago united the swordsland and even drove away the dragon empress once and for all.

But the most of the time the new arrived guests are free to explore the keep. Rian's domicile is a mixture of many archetectures that are sometimes only connected by serpetine like stairs and look as if every owner of the keep has used it for different reasons. There is the outer wall, that hosts many of the townsman buildings and the guards hall as well as Nerias Tavern. Within the inner walls there once was a monastery, that has been rebuild to provide enough room for the lords chambers and his close relatives and trusted followers.

But the largest building in the keep is an old hall everyone calls "the wooden hall", despite the building is made entirely out of a stone as white as snow on a cold winter day.

But today it is spring, and in the warm evening sun 3 riders and a chained man arrive.

Leolo
2014-12-09, 10:01 PM
Father Henry and Iskander where following the northern trade route since 3 days. In Ulark they found many brothels and people tolerant but greedy, while Harimmon seemed them as a place where the wrong word could lead to a fiery bar fight. When they left the land at the river and travelled noth the land even became more untrustable. The green hills here were known for the lure of fairy fires attempting to let you leave the road and never been seen again.

But at least they are not alone anymore. A knight and his thief caught were also traveling north, to Lord Rians hold and had found rest at the fire of the both adventurers.

Yve, as the knight calls himself is not really talkative, but his captive doesn't even stop. Every mile you are getting closer to the keep he tries a different story to get his freedom, but hasn't convinced you of his good intentions until now.

"I was just sitting there in the bar, when this awefull huge guy approached. I just said hello in my friendliest voice, when he tried to hit me. I really shouldn't be braught to your lord for this!"

drack
2014-12-09, 11:53 PM
This petty thief dared to challenge the will of his queen!? Dared to speak out against his fate and resist it so long using petty excuses like "I just tried to say hello". Did he truly doubt the good Father's faith in his queen!? He had been seeing parts of this man float down each river he'd passed. At some the head would just seem to pop along dipping below the surface, others arms reached from the watery depths flailing helplessly, and at more still the thief could be seen struggling beneath the surface against the weights that bound him struggling desperately for air... it was always a futile struggle.

Slowly, calmly, Father Henry pushed such thoughts from his mind instead informing the lad "The great Queen of Ravens is a god of fate, one who has already determined yours. It is not for you to decide if you see this lord, or even for us, but for the gods above. Surely you've nothing to loose if you're so innocent as you claim."

onlie2005
2014-12-10, 07:52 PM
Maria, if anything, was a gracious guest. She is neither presumptuous or bratty, largely sociable and polite and if anything a kind and gentle child. Like all children her age, she tended to be curious and adventurous, constantly roaming around the interior of the keep and maybe even playing with the other children that were there. It had been months since her parents' deaths and even though she felt grief and sadness every once in a while, it waned as timed pass as the events and trials of her life continued. Time may heal wounds but the emptiness she felt by their loss will forever haunt her. But as young as she was, she was also brave and strong and she continued to bravely live on in spite of this terrible loss.

Maria also helped herself to the library whenever she was allowed. She made sure that she stayed away from any books that might be forbidden or too personal for her to look at. This is where she spent most of her days if not outside playing or exploring. The girl was courteous enough to make sure that everything was where it was before she started looking over it. Nothing was out of place once she finished and she was always neat and tidy.

Bored out of her mind at the moment, she is currently walking around the interior of the keep when she sees the riders enter. Curious as any child wound be, Maria ran towards them and asked, "Hello. Why do you have that man chained?"

Boolprop
2014-12-10, 09:08 PM
The journey across the northern trade route wasn't very eventful. What he liked during this trek was the thief's stories. Sure Iskandar didn't believe the guy's stories, but aside from Father Henry's stories, and the silent knight, Iskandar somewhat appreciate the thief's tales. Indeed with every tale told, Iskandar trusted the thief less and less, leading him to believe Yve is right to take the thief to Lord Rian to determine his fate is just.

After Father Henry said his piece, Iskandar nods in agreement before he speaks up. "If you are truly innocent, I am sure justice will be on your side."

Gavran
2014-12-11, 03:27 AM
Helcarion

Helcarion lounged across a bench in the hall's foyer, apparently casually engrossed in the writings on Amran history provided by Lord Rian. Beneath that careful facade however, was a man ill at ease within his environment. True, Rian possessed a touch of the noble spirit that the Lords of the Feywild had, and presented his guests with all the appropriate hospitality - but it was still not his world. Only here at the threshold between the hall of men and the blossoming night was he able to shake the feeling of incongruousness enough to truly focus on the book he held. But here too, his study was thwarted. The clarion sound of Maria's voice as she, apparently, greeted visitors was already familiar to him - and the subtle bindings of duty compelled him to join in their reception. Helcarion approached the group cautiously, but after taking a moment to assess each, offered the three unbound men a friendly smile.

"Good evening travelers. Forgive my curiosity, but are you also guests of Lord Rian, or perhaps vassals returned from distant duties?"

theterran
2014-12-12, 10:01 AM
Grateful for the place to stay, Theran cares little for travelers coming to petition the local lord, and more or less keeps to himself.

...this was much too easy...and I don't feel as if I've been released...there must be something more to this...otherwise she wouldn't have involved me...but what could it be... he mulls as he quietly walks in solitude around the estate.

Leolo
2014-12-13, 08:26 PM
The bound man does not really welcome the harsh words of Father Henry and grumbles angrily when no one tries to help him. When you pass the castle entry and Maria discovers the group Yve looks to her with a friendly face as good as he can.

"And what do we have here? I don't remember your face little one, are you Tommens daughter?"

The knight jumps from horseback on the ground with a swift move, and looks at Maria.

"I wouldn't say he has done anything wrong other than being a thief and a boaster. I brought him here for his security, and the safety of our land, but don't worry - i tied his wrists good, and he won't hurt you."

He takes his horse, a black young stallion to the stables, and otherwise many other knights he sends away the stable boy, taking care of the horse by himself while two guards bring the thief into the castle.

Just before he wants to undo the bardings of his horse he turns arround to Helcarion. "I am indeed in his service, and my name is Yve. Have you seen my lord? I have to speak with him at once about an urgent issue."

drack
2014-12-13, 08:58 PM
Father Henry moves to explain the fate of the prisoner and of the mystical ways in which his queen worked, but stops halfway recognizing a face down the hall.

The skies were filled with dark smoke which turned to a red haze as it melded into the flames billowing from the cottages. What had been an army now lay across the village alongside the villagers, the cries of the survives now being flayed throughout the field and hung for the birds to eat as they died. The smell of blood and sweat filled the air, chasing off any dreams or illusions of being elsewhere, but why would he want to be, this was paradise, this was right, this was the life his queen had given just to him, and it was all he'd ever deserved. Beside him sat a troubled youth, troubled in more then one way. The lad was mentally unstable, he'd heard voices urging him to kill, forcing him to serve Baytown's Bloodletter as Father Henry had once been called. The lad was also troubled about the killings though. He'd charge in shooting at the enemy army, but when it came time to kill send the villagers to his queen as well, the lad would drag his feet. He'd sometimes get there in the end, but he'd make a hoot of a fuss over it. Picking up a little girl's head off the ground the Baytown Bloodletter examined it casually. She looked like a sweet little thing maybe nine years old and the blood was still fresh, seeping all over her clean blond hair. The blade had caught her higher up and the skin stretched and slid easily over the skull. Winding it halfway up he tossed it to the lad. "Best you remember this lad, this is what you do. Forget all those pretty dreams and morals, you're fighting a war, a holly war for the greatest god upon this material plane. You're no righteous hero or savior, you're a killer plain and simple, and one my queen's seen fit to put in my employee. Take a good long look and remember it because next time I want you to be the first one on those blessed peasents dragging them heart and soul to my queen's embrace whether they wish it or no."

Catching sight of the old friend Father Henry called out to him. "Theran is that you? Why, by death's bosom, it seems my queen has brought you to me once again!"

Gavran
2014-12-14, 02:10 AM
Helcarion

"I'm afraid I don't know precisely where he is at the moment, Yve, I'm sorry. If there's something I can do to aid my gracious host please do let me know."
Helcarion quietly notes the interaction between Theran and the newcomer, and idly wonders which Queen is being referred to. He directs his attention to Iskandar.
"And what of you sir? Another of the Lord's men?"

Boolprop
2014-12-14, 06:56 PM
During the travels, before arriving at Lord Rian's keep

"That is fine steed you have there." Iskandar commented Yve's young black stallion as he observe the horse. "How long have you two been together? What is his name?" Iskandar inquires the silent knight, hopping he'll get the knight to open up a bit, and be allowed to get a closer look at the young stallion; if not to pet the steed.

The present

Getting of his horse, Iskandar inspects if anything was amiss. Sure the journey here was pleasantly peaceful, but to him, Iskandar always checks after his steed's health after each trip, even if the mount was only temporary. Something he have gotten used to doing since his days at Lord Barbaneth's estate. Speaking to him as he begins a quick inspection, Iskandar turns to see a rather tall Elf, no Eladrin, as Iskandar quickly corrects himself. "No, I'm not one of Lord Rian's men. But I've heard he's a good lord who truly tries to protect his people. As such I'm interested to see the good Lord himself." Iskandar approach Helcarion and extends his hand to the Eladrin, "I'm Iskandar, Iskandar De'Leon. And you are?"

Gavran
2014-12-14, 11:06 PM
Helcarion

Helcarion politely accepts the man's hand, revealing that his skin feels cool to the touch - not unpleasantly so but different enough from the ambient temperature to be noticeable. With an air of practiced formality, he begins a proper introduction, carefully enunciating each word and somehow pronouncing each capital letter "It is good to meet you Iskandar De'leon. I am Lord Rian's guest, Helcarion of Winter, in service to the Crossing Wardens of Cael-nibren as Emissary. I have not been here for very long but I believe the words you have heard are true. Perhaps -" his attention shifts to Yve as he releases Iskandar's hand "- an introduction could be arranged once your report is concluded?"

theterran
2014-12-15, 08:33 AM
Walking along lost in thought, Theran hears a familiar sounding voice, though he can't quite place where he's heard it before. It slowly eats at him and he loses he train of thought. Upon hearing his own name and what follows, he quickly turns to face the man, praying to all manner of deities that he is wrong.

All color drains from Theran's face as his fears are confirmed. He turns quickly, without a word, and steps quickly away.

...SO IT WAS NEVER ABOUT THE GIRL!... he shouts in his own mind. ...YOU KNEW I WOULD RUN INTO THAT MAN AGAIN HERE...AND THIS WAS YOUR PLAN ALL ALONG!

After a moment and no response, Theran attempts to compose himself.

"Perhaps it's all just a coincidence..." he tells himself, though not really believing it.

drack
2014-12-15, 11:09 PM
Spotting how quick the old man began hobbling away from him Father Henry knew he was right. "So it is you Theran! Why it's been so long. Perhaps you don't remember me, I'm Father Henry a humble healer of my queen."

onlie2005
2014-12-16, 04:55 PM
"I am simply a current guest of Lord Rian.", Maria says hesitatingly, choosing her words carefully. She does not know the obvious paladin, and is not sure just how much to tell. Instead she seems rather curious about the prisoner. Although she does feel safe since she always keeps her coin pouch in her backpack.

"So what are you planning to do with him? How will he be punished if found guilty?"

Leolo
2014-12-16, 07:19 PM
During the travels, before arriving at Lord Rian's keep, when Iskandar asks Yve about his horse.

"His name is E'ala Sou, and this could be translated as Wind from the south if you want. Ala is my trusted friend on many travels, and the closest you can get to a true windrider's horse in our time. "

It is the first time since you met him that Yve was cought smiling, and he touches the neck of the stallion.

"You don't know this legend, do you? When the land of gras was forged, uncountable years before the present day, an ancient being of wind, the Primordial Ciluiar summoned the air around him into 5 powerful, astonishing creatures, the horses of the storm. The trees bend fearful out of their path, like grass in a winter storm. But a party of heroes tamed those horses, and put Ciluiar into sleep beneath the surface. The horses survived and some had mate and breed. They became mortal and shaped into flesh and bones, and this was the birth of the horses you know today. A small part of this magic is still in everyone of them, a small part of this beauty."

Leolo
2014-12-16, 07:35 PM
Today, when Maria met Yve at the front gate, and asks what will happen to the prisoner.

"His life is now in the hands of my lord. He will judge and he will be the law."

The Knights voice is hard, but he doesn't really wants to frighten her.

"I do saved him, though - and don't think that Lord Rian will harm him more than this rogue could harm himself with this tongue."

Obviously the rogue disagrees with this judgement, as he struggles and hit Yves back with his bound hands when the knight puts him on his shoulder.

"I never did anything wrong you jerk, let me go - I don't want to see your lord! No! Let me! You there, free me! They will kill me, I know it!"

theterran
2014-12-18, 08:04 AM
Cursing his luck, Theran turns.

"Father Henry is it then? Are you no longer the high priest you once were?" says Theran, containing his emotion.

onlie2005
2014-12-18, 01:49 PM
Maria seems hesitant at first. Although she truly believes that Lord Rian was not the type to execute a thief. Not for something as trivial as possessions. Jailtime or community service maybe. but not a beheading or hanging. After some thought she said, "I doubt he will execute you. Maybe throw you in a jail cell for a length of time, but certainly not kill you. Unless what you took was a life."

drack
2014-12-18, 07:46 PM
Cursing his luck, Theran turns.

"Father Henry is it then? Are you no longer the high priest you once were?" says Theran, containing his emotion.

"Yes, yes, Father Henry." the good father replies merrily. "... and no, no, I have gained greater understanding of the true magnificence of my queen's will, and so I've become a humble healer traveling the lands and helping alleviate the pains and sufferings of all about me as I may. In time I hope I might even help show the world the miraculous beauty of my queen." Looking his old ally up and down the good father adds "Speaking of miraculous, I'm amazed you're still alive, it must be another joyous gift from my queen that's kept you about for so long."

Boolprop
2014-12-22, 05:16 PM
During the travels, before arriving at Lord Rian's keep

"That is a fine name." Iskandar brightens up when the silent knight spoke about his steed. "Alas, I haven't found a steed of my own. One whom I can trust and travel with, like you, Sir Yve and E'ala Sou" Iskandar tries his best to pronounce the horse's name correctly, with little to no difficulty.

"Can't say I've heard of the legend." Iskandar shakes his head when Yve told the cavalier the origin of horses. "But that is quite the legend. I do hope one day, I'll be worthy of such a magnificent horse or any steed of great origin." Iskandar said openly with warmth in his words.

The present
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Helcarion of Winter, of the Crossing Wardens of Cael-nibren." Iskandar pronounces the Eladrin's name with ease, while he returns a firm handshake; one often shared between armed men of service, guards and the like. "I don't believe I've heard of the Crossing Wardens of Cael-nibren. Perhaps when we have time, you'll tell me more of them?" Iskandar asks Helcarion. Turning to face Yve just as Helcarion shifts his attention towards the knight, Iskandar simply replies "That is good to hear of Lord Rian."

When Iskandar pronounces Helcarion's name and/or Cael-nibren, if he recognizes either are of elven origin and it's difficult to pronounces such word(s) in Common, he'll instead pronounce them in Elven.

drack
2015-01-22, 07:47 AM
Father Henry waits through the pleasantries, keen on meeting this lord that everyone seems to love so much.