PDA

View Full Version : Monk dip for Cleric

DireSickFish
2014-12-10, 12:22 AM
I'm going to be starting at lvl3 in a new game and was curious if a 1lvl dip into monk owuld be worth it for a Light cleric. I'll be going the Asimar race from the DMG. We'll be using the 27 point buy and I'll be trying to max my Wis to 20 asap (so lvl9 if I dip and 8 if I don't). Is this a good dip to start with? Would it be better to dip at lvl9 so i get my stat bonuses right away? Is dipping jus tnot needed at all and I can jsut roll with medium armor proff and 14 dex?

Yorrin
2014-12-10, 12:42 AM
A lot depends on what type of Cleric you are, as in which Domain you pick, as well as how you're building within that Domain. It might be worth it, but it's not an auto-pick. Ultimately it will come down to your secondary stats. With enough Dex it's a better idea, but with a Str secondary it's not so much worth it. Some pure Wis builds will find it advantageous depending on how much Dex you end up with, but delaying class features and feats is probably not worth it.

For a more in-depth guide on Clerics see the link my sig.

Easy_Lee
2014-12-10, 12:42 AM
It doesn't seem like you would gain much from it. You have to have both Dex and Wis at 18 to get an AC of 18 from monk, which is an AC you can achieve with medium armor and a shield. And you delay your spellcasting progression, which seems to be your character's focus. I'd say stick cleric unless you want to multiclass monk for its fighting capabilities. If you were going to do that, then six levels of monk for shadow monk would be better.

Scirocco
2014-12-10, 02:02 AM
It's probably worth it for a Trickery cleric, otherwise I wouldn't do it.