PDA

View Full Version : Have you met the 3 Xykons?

jjpickar
2007-03-27, 04:58 PM
Three monsters from some non-standard sources were featured in the last OOTS: a Hecuva, a Death Knight, and an Eye of Fear and Flame.

Since I have never encountered them I was wondering, has anyone fought or DMed with one of these guys? What are the best stories?

Time for obscure undead coolness!

Edit: Of three books used what is the best?

Innis Cabal
2007-03-27, 05:00 PM
book of vile darknes...not for kids

JadedDM
2007-03-27, 05:57 PM
I've never even heard of that third one.

silentknight
2007-03-27, 06:01 PM
Never heard of number 3, the Death Knight was in MM2 (as well as Dragonlance) and the Hecuva sounds familiar from 2e.

Dhavaer
2007-03-27, 06:11 PM
I've heard of all of them, but I can't remember where they're from. I don't even own the Monster Manual.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-03-27, 06:16 PM
Huecuvas are from the Fiend Folio
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50171.jpg

Eye of Fear and Flame from the Book of Vile Darkness
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/bovd_gallery/88161_620_55.jpg

Anyways, never fought any of them.

Aximili
2007-03-27, 06:16 PM
I only know the death knight (MM2) and it's plain cool.:smallcool:
It's like a melee version of the lich, only immune to turning. :smallbiggrin:

JadedDM
2007-03-27, 06:44 PM
Never heard of number 3, the Death Knight was in MM2 (as well as Dragonlance) and the Hecuva sounds familiar from 2e.

Yeah, in 2E the Death Knight and Hecuva were in the MM.

If the "Eye of Fear and Flame" existed back then, I don't know where it could be found. I think that one's new.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-27, 06:50 PM
I've used both Death Knights (MM2 and Dragonlance versions; as I recall they're slightly different) and one Eye of Fear and Flame. I don't have a Fiend Folio, so no Huecava for me.

Amiria
2007-03-27, 07:10 PM
I have all those books.

I once pitted my players against a Death Knight (a small one, lowest possible HD).

As a player I had to fight Huecuvas. But it is long ago.

Serenity
2007-03-27, 07:12 PM
At one point, my friends and I tried to set up an online D&D thing revolving around 4 undead lords fighting over a city--a lich, a vampire, a mummy, and a huecuva.

It didn't end well.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-27, 07:16 PM
And thus did Richard make next Sunday's session so very much harder on my players.

The Endbringer Xaraphim
2007-03-27, 07:17 PM
I've run against a Death Knight in 2nd ed. It was stupidly overpowered, but then again we were 10th level or so.

Once the DM let me run a random encounter when we happened across heucuvas. It was colorful, but since the monsters lost initiative, a single turning caused all but one to flee. I looked at its stats and compared them to what I knew about my fellow players and more or less gave up any hope of damaging the PC's at that time, so I had it cast doom or something. It was promptly squishied.

Igfig
2007-03-27, 07:55 PM
I ran a campaign once where the players were a lich, a vampire, a swordwraith, and a death knight. They ended up building a massive citadel out of voidstone (solid negative energy) and laying waste to most of the planet.

Never used or met the other two, though I'd love to give the Eye of Fear and Flame a spin sometime.

Assassinfox
2007-03-27, 07:58 PM
I ran a campaign once where the players were a lich, a vampire, a swordwraith, and a death knight. They ended up building a massive citadel out of voidstone (solid negative energy) and laying waste to most of the planet.

Never used or met the other two, though I'd love to give the Eye of Fear and Flame a spin sometime.

Coolest Campaign Ever. :smalleek:

the_tick_rules
2007-03-27, 10:48 PM
fiend folio, going old school huh.

Fizban
2007-03-28, 12:56 AM
IIRC, the MMII and Dragonlance death knights didn't differ very much. Some flavor and the Dragonlance version had one or two extra abilities.

Behold_the_Void
2007-03-28, 02:18 AM
I've not encountered any, but having been weaned on tales of Lord Soth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Soth), I can rightly say going up against a Death Knight would likely terrify me greatly. Oh my poor, soon-to-be-deceased character.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-28, 04:30 AM
IIRC, the MMII and Dragonlance death knights didn't differ very much. Some flavor and the Dragonlance version had one or two extra abilities.
Hence slightly different. :smallwink: