PDA

View Full Version : Portable Spell Research Lab

RoboEmperor
2014-12-10, 01:02 AM
I want to carry around an entire wizard research station in a bag of holding for spell research.

Reading the stronghold builder's guide, I wasn't sure exactly what I need to buy, especially what master level books on which subjects, or if I even need master level books.

My current guess is 16,900gp for a Wizard's Research, and ignore the staff costs. Is this enough?

Uncle Pine
2014-12-10, 01:24 AM
An enveloping pit is 10'×10'×50' ft., costs only 3.600 go and IIRC can potentially be filled with portable holes to get even more space. Is it enough? How big is a research station?

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-10, 01:26 AM
For the 1000gp a week spell research? You need a well stocked library for that. It'd be at least a fully stocked basic library for 2500. Maybe that plus a basic magical laboratory for an additional 500. Your DM may be more or less generous.

I'd be much more concerned about the fact that such a thing won't actually -fit- in a bag of holding or even a portable hole. Even an enveloping pit would only just be big enough for one stronghold space, IIRC, and I'm betting you're not a kobold with either true believer or 5th level divine spells.

If you've got gobs of money to throw at the situation, get a psion to manifest genesis for you then build a portal for your new demiplane. One end goes in the demiplane itself and the other is carted about in your portable hole. You now have a 180ft sphere of space to build a full size stronghold in.

RoboEmperor
2014-12-10, 01:27 AM
20ft x 20ft x 10ft x 5, so 20,000cft.

I'm also asking if this research lab is all you need for spell research?

If you've got gobs of money to throw at the situation, get a psion to manifest genesis for you then build a portal for your new demiplane. One end goes in the demiplane itself and the other is carted about in your portable hole. You now have a 180ft sphere of space to build a full size stronghold in.

I'm trying to figure out how early I can get this research station, so preferably before level 9 spells.

If you look up stronghold builder's guide, it has a thing called wizard research station and it includes a fancy library in it, along with a fancy alchemy lab, fancy magic lab, fancy office, and fancy servant's quarters and by RAW, "This well-appointed area has everything a wizard would want for arcane experiments and spell research" so arguably this is all I need to research stuff. Stockpiles of arcane material components for experimentation is a different issue, and would cost the usual 1000gp per spell level.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-10, 01:28 AM
20ft x 20ft x 10ft x 5, so 20,000cft.

I'm also asking if this research lab is all you need for spell research?

That and the 1000gp a week for research supplies.

RoboEmperor
2014-12-10, 01:31 AM
That and the 1000gp a week for research supplies.

Hah, you answered my question before I edited-it-in. XD

So now I need to find a way to carry around 20,000cft...

Bag of Holding is 250cft
Portable Hole is 36*3.14*10cft
Looking up enveloping pit...