PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help with Archer Inquisitor

Barstro
2014-12-10, 08:25 AM
I am strongly considering an Inquisitor in my upcoming campaign, and trying to stay ranged, since that is a void in the group. However, I can think of a few specific instances where he will need to be Melee for at least a little while, so I cannot just ignore that part. While I could drop the bow and grab a melee weapon, I'd thematically rather use the Bowstaff (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/spells/bowstaff.html) spell to switch to melee.

We get two traits; I took a campaign one for saving throws and am considering Deadeye Bowman (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/tools/traits-filter) as the second.

I have a couple questions that Paizo probably never considered (or has habitually ignored) that I'd like some help with, since it would effect my initial build.

This is a 15 point buy, so being MAD becomes an issue.
The Guided (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapons-non-core/weapon-property---guided) property would help a lot, but RAW is silent on if it works on ranged weapons (assuming it did, it is likewise silent on if it changes Dex to Wis, or just Str to Wis). RAI, this was intended for 3.5 melee classes, but was released before Inquisitor was even a glimmer in their eyes (I think). If Guided can be used on ranged weapons, great, I'm done. But let's assume it cannot be.

Onto using Bowstaff;
Spell does not say that the bow becomes a quarterstaff, just that it can be used as one.
1) Can it still be used as a bow while spell is active?
2) Does Weapon Focus; Bow allow a +1 for using the bow(staff) in melee?

Related;
Assuming Guided cannot be used for Ranged, is there any way to make the Bowstaff version get Guided during melee without having to "waste" a +1 enhancement on the bow in the first place?

Psyren
2014-12-10, 09:36 AM
1) Yes. ("Allows" means you do not have to, just that you can.)
2) This is a DM call as you noted, though I would allow it personally.

AS for Guided, Bowstaff explicitly says that any enhancement that can affect melee and ranged weapons carry over. Since Guided is 3.5 though, your DM is going to have to decide whether it can affect bows to begin with, and what that means. (For example, will you need a composite longbow in order for guided to apply any amount of Wis to damage, and can a composite longbow be used with Bowstaff?)

grarrrg
2014-12-10, 11:39 AM
This is a 15 point buy, so being MAD becomes an issue.
...If Guided can be used on ranged weapons, great, I'm done. But let's assume it cannot be.

Then you have 2 options.
Dip Cleric, take Channel Smite (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/channel-smite-combat) and Guided Hand (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/-guided-hand). This will let you use WIS To-Hit, but does nothing for damage, so at least you can focus on WIS/CON/STR (composite bow).

The only other easy way is good old stupid Weapon Finesse (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/weapon-finesse-combat---final). Which would mean downplaying STR/damage, and favoring DEX/Accuracy.

If it helps, you really don't need all that much WIS on an Inquisitor. Pick a race with +DEX/+WIS, put 2 or 3 points in WIS and you're pretty much set.

Onto using Bowstaff;
1) Can it still be used as a bow while spell is active?

The 'flavor bits' imply that it stops being useful as a ranged weapon "takes on the rigidity and toughness of forged steel", the 'rules bits' don't specifically say.

can a composite longbow be used with Bowstaff?)

The Composite Bows do have "For purposes of Weapon Proficiency and similar feats, a composite longbow is treated as if it were a longbow.", so it implies that they are 'mostly the same thing'. But it only calls out feats...

Ssalarn
2014-12-10, 11:43 AM
Not sure if it's relevant to the discussion, but James Jacobs, who wrote the Guided property, said it was specifically intended for melee weapons. The whole replace STR with WIS thing overlooked the fact that composite longbows can use STR for damage creating room for interpretation.

Anyone know a way for the Inquisitor to gain Channel Energy? If so, you could grab Channel Smite + Guided Hand and pick Erastil as your deity lett ing you use WIS to hit with the bow in all its forms. That has the added benefit of not being dependent on the enchantment to work.

I don't know what Domain or Inquisition you were planning on picking up, but you could grab the Anger Inquisition to allow yourself to rage. That'd give you enough "oomph" to melee for the presumably rare circumstances where you need to.

stack
2014-12-10, 11:53 AM
Deific obedience opens up a wisdom to hit and damage option if you follow Erastil. Takes the evangelist third tier boon though, so not real helpful anytime soon.

Barstro
2014-12-10, 02:11 PM
Thank you all for the ideas.

Inquisition is set. I don't want to reveal it because I want ideas to be mine. If I said what I was doing and someone gave me a great idea, the build would no longer be mine (in my head, at least).

If I'm reading correctly, there is concern of a +5 composite bow becoming a quarterstaff +5. Never even thought of that. I'd rule that, barring magical enhancements, said bow can attack as a normal staff (plus magical enhancements)

I personally prefer to stay one class, but you do have me thinking about it.

Snowbluff
2014-12-10, 02:17 PM
Abundant Ammunition and Named Bullet would completely remove any need for stats, but it would take some doing. Melee would still be hard, but if you focus Str over Dex, you could get more damage per arrow and better melee skill.

I will point out that you are not MAD and you are not a fullcaster. How helpful is a high Wis for you, really? Bonus spells? DCs (nope). Some abilities? Honestly, you only need to start with 12 or 14. It only has to hit 16 by the time you get 6th level spells.

Barstro
2014-12-10, 08:57 PM
but if you focus Str over Dex, you could get more damage per arrow and better melee skill.

I will point out that you are not MAD and you are not a fullcaster. How helpful is a high Wis for you, really? Bonus spells? DCs (nope). Some abilities? Honestly, you only need to start with 12 or 14. It only has to hit 16 by the time you get 6th level spells.

I'm usually more concerned with hitting often than hitting hard. My desire for Guided is to hit frequently.

Wis has some bonuses to initiative, skill checks, uses of stuff per day, but your are correct. I need to accept the fact that having spells does not make one a caster.

grarrrg
2014-12-10, 09:28 PM
Anyone know a way for the Inquisitor to gain Channel Energy?

Yes.
Quite a few (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15428441&postcount=6) in fact.

Do I know of a way to get Channel Energy on an Inquisitor NO Multiclassing, and/or spending at most 1 feat?
Yes.
Is it worthwhile?
Probably not.
Cold Iron Warrior (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/archetypes/paizo---inquisitor-archetypes/cold-iron-warden) archetype.
Loses ALL Teamwork feats, Discern Lies, and gets a weaker Bane.
In exchange you get..."eh".
The Channeling is _strictly_ Alignment Channel to damage Outsiders. This will qualify you for Channel Smite>Guided Hand, but...probably not worth it.

Dipping Cleric is very much your best bet.

stack
2014-12-10, 10:17 PM
Isn't channel 1/day one of the possibilities for an alternate trait on an aasimar?

Yup, 1 on a d100. Seems like cheating, but if your DM lets you pick it...

Snowbluff
2014-12-10, 10:18 PM
I'm usually more concerned with hitting often than hitting hard. My desire for Guided is to hit frequently.

Named Bullet gives you touch attacks within. That's why I suggested it. :smallwink:

Barstro
2014-12-15, 09:23 AM
I received the ruling that I CAN use Guided on a bow to get WIS as the to-hit skill.

Now; should I even bother?

Psyren
2014-12-15, 09:43 AM
Whether you get Dex to hit or Wis is a wash, as you'll want them both decent for magic and archery feats. This does let you focus on Wis a bit more though.

As for damage, don't worry - between Judgment of Destruction, (Greater) Bane, Litany of Vengeance, Prayer etc. you'll have plenty of sources of bonus damage whether you use composite bows or not..

Feint's End
2014-12-15, 09:46 AM
I received the ruling that I CAN use Guided on a bow to get WIS as the to-hit skill.

Now; should I even bother?

The problem is that you need a guided weapon for it to work and also that archery feats are all dex dependant. I say just forget guided.

To be quite frank with you I'd personal do the following stat array (if human): 10 16(18) 12 10 14 7. This leaves either str or int to be raised to 12 (maybe str). Melee isn't a great strength of yours but with 12 str and judgements you won't automiss. Probably want weapon finesse if you can spare the feat (which you can't).

Barstro
2014-12-15, 10:30 AM
archery feats are all dex dependant.

Wow, an extremely elementary point that had completely eluded me. I'm not even going to think about it any longer.
Thank you.

I agree with your stat array and mine is similar. I would agree with your Finesse assessment, but bowstaff does not make a finesseable (somehow that isn't a word) weapon. But you are correct, I couldn't take it anyway. I'll have to beg the DM for some fiat. Since the alternative is a cheap Guided melee weapon (for those dozen times I enter melee), it could be an easy sell.

Feint's End
2014-12-15, 12:24 PM
Wow, an extremely elementary point that had completely eluded me. I'm not even going to think about it any longer.
Thank you.

I agree with your stat array and mine is similar. I would agree with your Finesse assessment, but bowstaff does not make a finesseable (somehow that isn't a word) weapon. But you are correct, I couldn't take it anyway. I'll have to beg the DM for some fiat. Since the alternative is a cheap Guided melee weapon (for those dozen times I enter melee), it could be an easy sell.

Yeah I'd say go with guided (saves the feat) and put the 12 in int. Seems like the overall better deal.

Psyren
2014-12-15, 03:55 PM
I say just forget guided.

Yeah I'd say go with guided (saves the feat) and put the 12 in int.

Err now I'm confused.

@OP: IMO, grarrg and Snowbluff have it right, you don't need that much Wis and you should just focus on Dex instead. As for melee, if anyone gets close to you just slap them with Litany of Sloth and pump arrows into their eye sockets at point blank range.