PDA

View Full Version : Jumping over houses

weckar
2014-12-10, 02:21 PM
Basically, I had this idea for a character that could make 20 foot high jumps. Because.
Then I learn that that's a DC 80 jump check (DC 160 if you do not have a running start). Ouch.

My point: Is there a way to crazily multiply jump checks and/or height?

Dread_Head
2014-12-10, 02:35 PM
Leaping Dragon Stance for +10ft distance and makes it count as a running start. High move speed for +4 per 10ft above 30. They are the ones that spring immediately to mind. If you are willing to play a monstrous race then Thri-kreen have a +30 racial bonus to jump. Otherwise standard skill boosting in the form of ranks, high strength, MW tools and magic items / spells.

heavyfuel
2014-12-10, 02:39 PM
High move speed for +4 per 10ft above 30.

This is really the big one here. Check out the Jumplomancer build (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1141886) and ignore the diplomacy part of it for a guide to get a really high jump check

Curmudgeon
2014-12-10, 03:03 PM
An important consideration is that you really need to boost your speed. Not only does that improve your Jump check, it'll be purely annoying if you're forced to spend turn after turn on the same jump because your speed is low.

Galen
2014-12-10, 03:16 PM
This is really the big one here. Check out the Jumplomancer build (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1141886) and ignore the diplomacy part of it for a guide to get a really high jump checkThis build doesn't work. The weak point is that Cheetah's Speed doesn't actually boost your speed.

It lets you "move 10 times your normal speed as part of a charge", but the numeric value of "your speed" is unchanged.

our Jump check (which has a bonus based on speed of +4 for every 10’ beyond 30’) has a bonus of +(((900-30) /10) x +4) 348. Therefore, this is incorrect. Our speed is not 900', it's still 90'. We can "move 10 times our normal speed", but we don't increase our speed from 90' to 900'.

So the Jump check would get a bonus of +(((90-30) /10) x +4), which is still a very impressive, but a lot more manageable +24.

heavyfuel
2014-12-10, 03:26 PM
This build doesn't work. The weak point is that Cheetah's Speed doesn't actually boost your speed.

It lets you "move 10 times your normal speed as part of a charge", but the numeric value of "your speed" is unchanged.

Hmmm. I'm unsure if this is how it works.

Think about Tumble, which usually halves your speed. Can you still make jump checks without penalty?

Galen
2014-12-10, 03:27 PM
No, Tumble doesn't reduce your speed. Again, it makes you move at half-speed. The numeric value of what "your speed" is doesn't change.

Curmudgeon
2014-12-10, 03:39 PM
This is really the big one here. Check out the Jumplomancer build (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1141886) and ignore the diplomacy part of it for a guide to get a really high jump check
Well, you pretty much have to ignore the Diplomacy part, because with the required constraints that part's just bizarre. Exemplar's Persuasive Performance class feature requires the performance to be within 30' of viewers, and last at least 1 minute. The maximum distance you could Jump going straight over your audience is 60'. To make that distance take at least 1 minute your speed must be no higher than 3' (for 20 move actions); or you could be a Zombie or slowed (only 10 move actions) and have a speed below 6'. You'd end up wowing the audience, but in terms of practical jumping you're just hanging in the air for 10 rounds while anyone who wants can attack you.

heavyfuel
2014-12-10, 03:58 PM
Well, you pretty much have to ignore the Diplomacy part, because with the required constraints that part's just bizarre. Exemplar's Persuasive Performance class feature requires the performance to be within 30' of viewers, and last at least 1 minute. The maximum distance you could Jump going straight over your audience is 60'. To make that distance take at least 1 minute your speed must be no higher than 3' (for 20 move actions); or you could be a Zombie or slowed (only 10 move actions) and have a speed below 6'. You'd end up wowing the audience, but in terms of practical jumping you're just hanging in the air for 10 rounds while anyone who wants can attack you.

The ability says the check can be used in stead of a Diplomacy check, and the check is made before the actual jump, when everyone is close to exemplar.

Even if it doesn't, one can still make it work (assuming the build is legal with the speed bonus from Cheetah's Charge), you just have to get creative :smallwink:. Creative like Ring Gates or a series of contingent Dimension Doors creative

Curmudgeon
2014-12-10, 04:30 PM
The ability says the check can be used in stead of a Diplomacy check, and the check is made before the actual jump, when everyone is close to exemplar.
The requirement is for the performance to be within 30' of the viewers, not just the start of the performance.

Flickerdart
2014-12-10, 04:33 PM
Thri-kreen get +30 to Jump straight off the bat, if you're into being a psychic insect.

Raphite1
2014-12-10, 04:35 PM
Slightly off topic, but this reminds me of how I've always found it weird that in D&D and Pathfinder you can jump higher with a running start.

How the heck does horizontal motion contribute to your vertical motion, unless you were running up a ramp? Competitive high-jumpers run up to the bar so that they have enough horizontal momentum to make it over, not because it makes them go higher.

Whatev, that's my mini-rant.

Faily
2014-12-10, 05:27 PM
The Blade Dancer PrC in Oriental Adventures also gives +30 to Jumping (and Tumble and Balance, but who cares :smallwink: ) at 10th level. The same class ability also allows you to take 10 on these checks.

Also pick up Leap of the Heavens (PHB2) to negate any penalties from not having a 20ft running start... or get a +5 bonus if you do have a 20ft running start.

With the aforementioned psionic bug racial bonus of +30, we're at +65 modifer to Jump... before adding Strength modifiers, Speed modifiers, and actual ranks in the Skill. Throw on Skill Focus if you want to and hit 68.

Add in Leaping Dragon Stance for another +10 to Jump.

Galen
2014-12-10, 05:38 PM
Interestingly enough, Leaping Dragon Stance doesn't actually give +10 to Jump. It gives (and I'm sure it's just an editorial error, but nonetheless it's clearly there) +10 feet to your jumping distance.

So if you have 20 on your Jump check, Leaping Dragon Stance doesn't change that to 30. Instead , it lets you jump 30' with a Jump check of 20. Basically, as written, LDS modifies the rule "your jumping distance is equal to the result of your Jump check" into "your jumping distance is equal to the result of your Jump check plus 10 feet", but doesn't actually provide a bonus to your Jump check. So it's not a combo with the Jumplomancer.

It's stupid RAW minutiae, but if you're delving into TO, you should be aware of those little things.

With a box
2014-12-10, 06:11 PM
Slightly off topic, but this reminds me of how I've always found it weird that in D&D and Pathfinder you can jump higher with a running start.

How the heck does horizontal motion contribute to your vertical motion, unless you were running up a ramp? Competitive high-jumpers run up to the bar so that they have enough horizontal momentum to make it over, not because it makes them go higher.

Whatev, that's my mini-rant.

World recode of standing high jump is 1.90m in 1980 by Rune Almén and world recode of high jump was 2.35m by Vladimir Yashchenko, so that is true that running start makes jump higher.

GreatDane
2014-12-10, 06:24 PM
The best way to do it is to boost your movement speed for the +4/10ft-over-30. If you cast haste on yourself, then polymorph into a gambol (MMII, p. 108), you can rack up a +43 Jump modifier (+12 from haste, +6 Strength, and +25 from the gambol's Great Leap special attack). While it won't get you over a house, it's a pretty good start.

StoneCipher
2014-12-10, 06:40 PM
The easiest way to do this is cast shrink item on the house. Then jump over it. PROBLEM SALVED.

Galen
2014-12-10, 06:43 PM
Only if it was a very small house to begin with.

Shrink Item
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One touched object of up to 2 cu. ft./level

A 20th level Wizard can shrink a 40 cu ft object, which is, let's say, 4x4x2.5 feet. To be honest, I could jump over such object without the use of magic.

StoneCipher
2014-12-10, 06:50 PM

A 20th level Wizard can shrink a 40 cu ft object, which is, let's say, 4x4x2.5 feet. To be honest, I could jump over such object without the use of magic.

Okay so maybe you have to cast it a few times.

Fouredged Sword
2014-12-10, 06:53 PM

The obvious solution is to use consumptive field to boost your CL by 4000 or so, THEN shrink object the house!

MesiDoomstalker
2014-12-10, 10:24 PM
The obvious solution is to use consumptive field to boost your CL by 4000 or so, THEN shrink object the house!

Wasn't there a thread recently of over-blown solutions to simple problems? I think using Consumptive Field to TO your Caster Level to Shrink a house so you can jump over it qualifies.

Raphite1
2014-12-11, 12:11 AM
World recode of standing high jump is 1.90m in 1980 by Rune Almén and world recode of high jump was 2.35m by Vladimir Yashchenko, so that is true that running start makes jump higher.

Those are quite different in form, though. For standing high jump, you have to use some of the energy that would have gone into raising your body higher into moving your body at least a bit horizontally, plus there's the form restriction of keeping your feet together, which limits the ways you can contort yourself over an obstacle.

It's definitely easier to jump over or onto obstacles with a horizontal-movement start, but it doesn't get you higher off the ground.

Tohsaka Rin
2014-12-11, 04:15 AM
Or you could take the Psionic feat Up The Walls, and just move straight up said house like the Flash.

...Does that technically count?

No? Then how about taking the feat Mental Leap, and getting a +10 to jump checks? That should stack nicely with everybody else's suggestions.

Waddacku
2014-12-11, 07:37 AM
Interestingly enough, Leaping Dragon Stance doesn't actually give +10 to Jump. It gives (and I'm sure it's just an editorial error, but nonetheless it's clearly there) +10 feet to your jumping distance.

So if you have 20 on your Jump check, Leaping Dragon Stance doesn't change that to 30. Instead , it lets you jump 30' with a Jump check of 20. Basically, as written, LDS modifies the rule "your jumping distance is equal to the result of your Jump check" into "your jumping distance is equal to the result of your Jump check plus 10 feet", but doesn't actually provide a bonus to your Jump check. So it's not a combo with the Jumplomancer.

It's stupid RAW minutiae, but if you're delving into TO, you should be aware of those little things.

That's not quite accurate. It does give a +10-foot enhancement bonus, but it's still to the check, not to the distance jumped.
Yes, this makes little sense.