PDA

View Full Version : new band

zeratul
2007-03-27, 07:44 PM
Hi fellow playgrounders. I neeed a new band to listen to, I was considering Foo Fighters, any advice on who to listen to?

Jack Squat
2007-03-27, 08:00 PM
define new; because if you mean 5 years old or less I really can't help you.

Otherwise I'm chock-full of advice

zeratul
2007-03-27, 08:02 PM
any age is fine dude

Daze
2007-03-27, 08:04 PM
Depends what you like man. You into jam bands? rock? metal? funk? hip-hop?

I'm of the opinion you can never go wrong with Parliment Funkadelic :smallwink:

zeratul
2007-03-27, 08:06 PM
rock any kind

Daze
2007-03-27, 08:14 PM
Well if you like guitar heavy rock (not sure what you already listen to)... Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jeff Beck are some good choices.
Moe is a jam band in the mold of Phish (but better and not quite so annoying). decent.
You could always go through an 80's/early 90's hair band thing, theres lot's of good stuff there.
The Allman Brothers perhaps?
Dr. John is good funk rock.
hmmm... I can keep going I guess.. staff picks at your local record store are a good place to start usually... they get some good back of the shelf stuff out there.

Amotis
2007-03-27, 08:15 PM
I don't think those are very new as they aren't even alive anymore (well not in any form notable).

Daze
2007-03-27, 08:20 PM
any age is fine dude

Just thought I'd introduce some essentials is all Amotis... I'm kinda useless with "very new" stuff anyways.. dont like much of it.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-27, 08:26 PM
well.....since i am a radio DJ... guess ill chime in...modest mouse is good, and red hot chilie peppers are also a band that you should listen to, not really heavy but good. Mindless Self Indulgance and Elven king are pretty good. If you are into the international scope See-Saw and Maximise my Hormone are great.
If you want heavy then old Inflames, Ablaze my Sorrows, All that remians and Kataklsym are wonderful. Fintntroll is a very good one but they are odd....to say the least and the huanted is always a good pick.

Amotis
2007-03-27, 08:33 PM
Dismemberment Plan, Jesus and the Mary Chain, Guided By Voices, Build To Spill, TV On The Radio, Arctic Monkeys, and Red House Painters all come to mind as just damn good rock. Not too different and all pretty easy to listen to. I stayed away from anything TOO experimental and all of these should get you dancing/headbanging.

Jack Squat
2007-03-27, 08:33 PM
ok, I'll just start listing bands off my playlist then.

3 doors down
Aerosmith
April Wine
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Bad Company
Bay City Rollers
Billy Idol
Billy Squier
Billy Thorpe
Blue Oyster Cult
Bob Seger
Bon Jovi
Boston
Bruce Springsteen
Bryan Adams
Buckner & Garcia
Cheap Trick
Cinderella
Corey Hart
Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Dexy's Midnight Runners
Dire Straits
Donnie Iris
Dr. Hook
Dropkick Murphys
Eddie Money
Emmerson Lake & Palmer
Eric Clapton (in all his forms)
Eric Martin Band
The Fabulous Thunderbirds
Firefall
Foreigner
Gaelic Storm
Genesis
Golden Earring
Great White
The Guess Who
The Hollies
Huey Lewis
J Geils Band
Jethro Tull
John Cougar Mellencamp
Johnny Rivers
Journey
Kansas
Kenny Loggins
The Kings
The Knack
Lifehouse
Loggins and Messina
Loverboy
Matchbox 20
Meat Loaf
Michael Stanley Band
Mike Olfield
Motley Crue
Mr. Big
Nazareth
Nickleback
Poison
The Police
Queen
Queensryche
REO Speedwagon
Rick Springfield
The Romantics
Sammy Hagar
Scorpions
Seven Nations
Stray Cats
Styx
Supertramp
Survivor
Tom Petty
Toto
Triumvirat

keep in mind that I tried to narrow it down to bands that I actually have albums of rather than just one or two tracks and that I haven't finished copying all my albums onto my computer

Daze
2007-03-27, 08:36 PM
ok, I'll just start listing bands off my playlist then.

3 doors down
Aerosmith
April Wine
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Bad Company
Bay City Rollers
Billy Idol
Billy Squier
Billy Thorpe
Blue Oyster Cult
Bob Seger
Bon Jovi
Boston
Bruce Springsteen
Bryan Adams
Buckner & Garcia
Cheap Trick
Cinderella
Corey Hart
Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Dexy's Midnight Runners
Dire Straits
Donnie Iris
Dr. Hook
Dropkick Murphys
Eddie Money
Emmerson Lake & Palmer
Eric Clapton (in all his forms)
Eric Martin Band
The Fabulous Thunderbirds
Firefall
Foreigner
Gaelic Storm
Genesis
Golden Earring
Great White
The Guess Who
The Hollies
Huey Lewis
J Geils Band
Jethro Tull
John Cougar Mellencamp
Johnny Rivers
Journey
Kansas
Kenny Loggins
The Kings
The Knack
Lifehouse
Loggins and Messina
Loverboy
Matchbox 20
Meat Loaf
Michael Stanley Band
Mike Olfield
Motley Crue
Mr. Big
Nazareth
Nickleback
Poison
The Police
Queen
Queensryche
REO Speedwagon
Rick Springfield
The Romantics
Sammy Hagar
Scorpions
Seven Nations
Stray Cats
Styx
Supertramp
Survivor
Tom Petty
Toto
Triumvirat

keep in mind that I tried to narrow it down to bands that I actually have albums of rather than just one or two tracks and that I haven't finished copying all my albums onto my computer

Excellent list jack... cant go wrong with anything on there.

Iggero
2007-03-27, 08:42 PM
I have no musical taste. However, may I suggest taht you try pandora.com? It is a site taht you feed the names of bands to and then it will begin to craft playlists of music by and similiar to that band or song or whatnot. Feedback con be provided to the songs. Thus, the more you listen, the more it gives you stuff you like. It is an excellent and free way to find music you like. You cannot select a specific song or rewind, but you can track what come sup and then buy anything that you really like. Just feed it a few stationsof things that you like.

Vaynor
2007-03-27, 09:01 PM
If you like 70-80s rock (only thing I really like, only thing I can really suggest :smallwink:), I'd suggest Talking Heads or The Cars. If you want something a little more modern I'd suggest The Cat Empire, it's like rock with a little ska, rap, and pop thrown in. Awesome music.

Jack Squat
2007-03-27, 09:31 PM
Excellent list jack... cant go wrong with anything on there.

I'd be pleasantly suprised if you knew every band on that list, there's some on there that my closest friends have never heard of before.

Amotis
2007-03-27, 09:34 PM
*raises hand* Oooh me me! I knew them all Jack! Do I get something?!?!

....something?

...anything...?

Nightmarenny
2007-03-27, 10:32 PM
Um... David Bowie or the Who if you havn't already.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-03-28, 02:17 AM
If you haven't got any of his stuff, Bob Dylan. I don't care what type of music you like, if you haven't listened to any Bob Dylan, do so immediately.

Jack Squat
2007-03-28, 07:33 AM
*raises hand* Oooh me me! I knew them all Jack! Do I get something?!?!

....something?

...anything...?

You get my respect for knowing who Loggins and Messina and Firefall are.

AKA_Bait
2007-03-28, 08:44 AM
If you want someone all sorts of new: Jenny Owen Youngs.

Also to consider: Schuyler Fisk

If you look on the two bottom friend rows here:
www.myspace.com/sneekypat (http://www.myspace.com/sneekypat)

There are a fair number of really talented folks other than the ones I mentioned. Be warned though, some of them are just starting out and don't have professionally produced albums yet. They have songs up, very good ones, but are still recording. Of those, I strongly recommend Bess Rogers (who's album is due out sometime next month).

If you live in the New York area they play fairly regularly around here. Some, like Bess, are good a posting shows, others like Jenny O. not so much but if you want to know I can give you a heads up.

Oh, and for more commercially accessable stuff I agree with what has already been posted and would add: The Dresden Dolls

-P

Daze
2007-03-28, 01:35 PM
I'd be pleasantly suprised if you knew every band on that list, there's some on there that my closest friends have never heard of before.

Actually, Buckner & Garcia is the only thing I'm not familiar with. Easily remedied though! *jumps on limewire* ;)

Once I saw Gaelic Storm on there, I knew it was a good list! They rock... (they played the band during the "dance" scene in the movie Titanic for those who are wondering) I like celtic music... you ever listen to the Waterboys? Pretty decent Irish rock/folk group....

Daze
2007-03-28, 02:42 PM
Heh.. Pacman Fever, eh? I remember that.. never knew who did it though. Apparantly they specialize in video game covers, who knew? :P

Jack Squat
2007-03-28, 05:09 PM
Once I saw Gaelic Storm on there, I knew it was a good list! They rock... (they played the band during the "dance" scene in the movie Titanic for those who are wondering) I like celtic music... you ever listen to the Waterboys? Pretty decent Irish rock/folk group....

Haven't heard the Waterboys yet, I'll keep a lookout for a cd though. Gaelic Storm is doing a concert right down here in a couple weeks, I'm really looking forward to it.

Daze
2007-03-28, 05:59 PM
Haven't heard the Waterboys yet, I'll keep a lookout for a cd though. Gaelic Storm is doing a concert right down here in a couple weeks, I'm really looking forward to it.

If you can, check out "fisherman's blues" by the Waterboys. It was one of their bigger tunes, you might recognize it.

That's cool Gaelic Storm is touring, hopefully they get up to New York. Of course it's not like NYC lacks any Irish folk, so I'm sure they'll come around... I'd like to see em.

Jack Squat
2007-03-28, 06:06 PM
well I don't know how close it is to NYC, but they'll be in Altamonte on September 15

Daze
2007-03-28, 06:14 PM
well I don't know how close it is to NYC, but they'll be in Altamonte on September 15

Thats up near Albany I think, upstate NY. About 3 hours or so depending on traffic. In case you cared :P

I'm hoping to get out to a few shows this summer, maybe I can make the trip... would be worth it if I could see em in a nice, small bar-like setting. I'm getting tired of big stage stuff.. so impersonal.

Miles Invictus
2007-03-28, 06:32 PM
Going by my playlist...

Alice Cooper
Alice in Chains
Avenged Sevenfold
Black Sabbath
Blue Oyster Cult
David Bowie
Guns 'N' Roses
Kansas
Led Zeppelin
Lynyrd Skynyrd (FREEBIRD!)
Nightwish
Ozzy Osbourne
Queen
Tenacious D (They once defeated a demon with their mighty rock, I'll have you know.)
U2
Van Halen

I highly recommend Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Nightwish, and Ozzy Osbourne.

psychoduck14
2007-03-28, 06:48 PM
the clash...really im shure you can find at least 1 or 2 songs...but probably more that you like.

FdL
2007-03-28, 07:56 PM
Dismemberment Plan, Jesus and the Mary Chain, Guided By Voices, Build To Spill, TV On The Radio, Arctic Monkeys, and Red House Painters all come to mind as just damn good rock. Not too different and all pretty easy to listen to. I stayed away from anything TOO experimental and all of these should get you dancing/headbanging.

Red House Painters? Hmmm, I don't know if they're for eveyone, I think some people used to mainstream rock would say that their stuff is too slow/depressing or repetitive, plain. They're brilliant, mind you, but I wouldn't reccomend them as a rock band. I'm picturing more the earlier stuff, their identity-defining first records. And I don't get the headbanging there :D

Don't know what to recommend. Everyone should be into Guided By Voices. Pixies too, if you haven't heard them you should. Neil Young & Crazy Horse, definitely. But it depends a lot on what music you like and what's your idea of (good) music. It depends on how much music you know, because if it's not much, and only from Mtv and such, there's a lot of essential stuff out there, a world.

But then again, when in doubt, look for the classics, look for the music musicians themselves praise, that's what I do. Always look for the original. Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Big Star, The Velvet Underground, The Stooges, Television, Joy Division, The Byrds...those are all people from where today's "hip" music comes from.

Daze
2007-03-28, 09:52 PM
But then again, when in doubt, look for the classics, look for the music musicians themselves praise, that's what I do. Always look for the original. Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Big Star, The Velvet Underground, The Stooges, Television, Joy Division, The Byrds...those are all people from where today's "hip" music comes from.

Well said amigo... sometimes to go forward, you have to look backwards... I'd hesitate to go look for such "new" cutting edge stuff when there's a whole world of music you may have already missed.

Amotis
2007-03-28, 10:26 PM
Red House Painters? Hmmm, I don't know if they're for eveyone, I think some people used to mainstream rock would say that their stuff is too slow/depressing or repetitive, plain. They're brilliant, mind you, but I wouldn't reccomend them as a rock band. I'm picturing more the earlier stuff, their identity-defining first records. And I don't get the headbanging there :D

I blame the constant replaying of them for the last week. Guilty. :smalltongue:

No seriously, I'm falling for them all over again. I luv them.

*is listening to Songs For A Blue Guitar*

I just love them. Perfect songs for...just me. It fits my mood constantly, no matter what I'm feeling. Like there's always a part of me that's just a little bit Red House Painters.

I need someone's hand to hold...and a soft couch...and stars...

zeratul
2007-03-29, 08:53 PM
i have finally settled on two bands for now guys, nirvana, and foo fighters. Feel free to keep contributing ideas though.

Nightmarenny
2007-03-29, 11:58 PM
i have finally settled on two bands for now guys, nirvana, and foo fighters. Feel free to keep contributing ideas though.A list of band you know well might help. Good choices though.

Pyre
2007-03-30, 03:45 AM
Everlong is one of my favorites from FF.

And may I recommend....Flogging Molly! Yeah! Irish Punk with traditonal instruments and new. How could you go wrong?

Hoggy
2007-03-30, 05:56 AM
I have no musical taste. However, may I suggest taht you try pandora.com? It is a site taht you feed the names of bands to and then it will begin to craft playlists of music by and similiar to that band or song or whatnot. Feedback con be provided to the songs. Thus, the more you listen, the more it gives you stuff you like. It is an excellent and free way to find music you like. You cannot select a specific song or rewind, but you can track what come sup and then buy anything that you really like. Just feed it a few stationsof things that you like.

Hear, hear!

Pandora is rather awesome, yes. Give it a try, introduced me to many new bands. :smallsmile:

zeratul
2007-03-30, 04:16 PM
Everlong is one of my favorites from FF.

And may I recommend....Flogging Molly! Yeah! Irish Punk with traditonal instruments and new. How could you go wrong?

Flooging molley rocks. They were used great in The Departed:smallbiggrin: .

Lucky
2007-03-30, 04:21 PM
Flooging molley rocks. They were used great in The Departed:smallbiggrin: .
That was The Dropkick Murphys, unless Flogging Molly played another one I missed, but I don't remember hearing anything by them.

zeratul
2007-03-30, 04:24 PM
That was The Dropkick Murphys, unless Flogging Molly played another one I missed, but I don't remember hearing anything by them.

that was dropkick murphys? I love the dropkick murphys drinking song, I think it might be in my random music quotes thread.

Lucky
2007-03-30, 04:26 PM
that was dropkick murphys? I love the dropkick murphys drinking song, I think it might be in my random music quotes thread. To risk being made of for my wikipedia-use again:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_Shipping_Up_to_Boston

That was the song that I'm pretty sure you're referring to.

But both Flogging Molly and the Dropkick Murphys are great bands.

zeratul
2007-03-30, 04:27 PM
To risk being made of for my wikipedia-use again:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_Shipping_Up_to_Boston

That was the song that I'm pretty sure you're referring to.

But both Flogging Molly and the Dropkick Murphys are great bands.

no it's a song just called "irish drinking song" or as it may be better known "drink, and fight"

Lucky
2007-03-30, 04:32 PM
no it's a song just called "irish drinking song" or as it may be better known "drink, and fight"Oh, I was still referring to the one in the Departed. That was Shipping Up to Boston.
And yet... That drinking song with the title of "Irish Drinking Song," that is Flogging Molly.

zeratul
2007-03-30, 04:36 PM
Oh, I was still referring to the one in the Departed. That was Shipping Up to Boston.
And yet... That drinking song with the title of "Irish Drinking Song," that is Flogging Molly.

nope, actually the one i am referring to is in fact by dropkick murphys, although i think flogging molley has one of the same tittle.

Lucky
2007-03-30, 04:37 PM
nope, actually the one i am referring to is in fact by dropkick murphys, although i think flogging molley has one of the same tittle.Yeah, I remembered that shortly after. They both have their own "Irish Drinking Song," as well as Buck O' Nine.

zeratul
2007-03-30, 04:40 PM
i believe the "Dropkick murphys", and "buck o'nine" ones are in fact the same.

Lucky
2007-03-30, 04:43 PM
i believe the "Dropkick murphys", and "buck o'nine" ones are in fact the same.Really? Well Buck O' Nine definitely did the original version.

Raistlin1040
2007-03-31, 12:08 PM
My playlist. Try some of these out.

AC/DC
Aerosmith
Billy Joel
Black Sabbath
Blink-182
Blue Oyster Cult
Bowling for Soup
Coldplay
Deep Purple
Derek and the Dominoes
Eiffel 65
Fall Out Boy
Gorrilaz
Green Day
Led Zeppelin
Nirvana
Ozzy Osbourne
P.O.D.
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Three Day's Grace

~Raist

zeratul
2007-03-31, 06:42 PM
My playlist. Try some of these out.

AC/DC
Aerosmith
Billy Joel
Black Sabbath
Blink-182
Blue Oyster Cult
Bowling for Soup
Coldplay
Deep Purple
Derek and the Dominoes
Eiffel 65
Fall Out Boy
Gorrilaz
Green Day
Led Zeppelin
Nirvana
Ozzy Osbourne
P.O.D.
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Three Day's Grace

~Raist

You see you had me till ozzy osbourne.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-03-31, 07:23 PM
Ozzy Osbourne is awesome. At least, he was before he drugged himself braindead.

FdL
2007-03-31, 08:39 PM
I blame the constant replaying of them for the last week. Guilty. :smalltongue:

No seriously, I'm falling for them all over again. I luv them.

*is listening to Songs For A Blue Guitar*

I just love them. Perfect songs for...just me. It fits my mood constantly, no matter what I'm feeling. Like there's always a part of me that's just a little bit Red House Painters.

I need someone's hand to hold...and a soft couch...and stars...

Yeah, after this I got back to them too. I'm into their earliest stuff, I really like their minimalism, and the production of these records. They stood very well the passage of time, they could easily have been released in the last 2 years.
I think "Katy Song" is a perfect polaroid of heartbreak and longing, disenchanted and simple. I hear a lot of VU in it too.

I'm into Low a lot too. I've struck a mood in which I can enjoy listening to these bands. Low's latest is really good.

Back to the topic of the post, if I think about it I actually find it weird that someone asks for a band to get into. I mean, hey, with so much music out there and the internet and all it seems pretty easy...Also the OP's choices were kind of obvious in the end, but well, it could have been worse (Foo Fighters are highly overrated anyway).

Edit: I need someone to caress too. I need beauty and light in my life. Where was that moping thread again?

heretic
2007-04-04, 06:58 PM
Breaking Benjamin Post-Grunge

Dropping Daylight One Trick Pony, as far as I know

Korn ****ing sweet

Flyleaf Female vocals, only one album out, sound good though

Audioslave Nice, but breaking up

Billy Talent One Trick Pony, as far as I know

Godsmack All their songs sound the same: Awesome.

Guster I've only heard one song of theirs but it's pretty sweet. Possible Pony?

Hoobastank Words can't describe.

Nickelback You've probably heard their overplayed blarney on the radio. They have other songs too.

Rage Against the Machine If you don't already listen, then DO IT.

Rehab Rap-rock. I like'em a lot.

Three Days Grace Other than that idiotic 'Pain' song, pretty good.

Staind A bit to softcore for me, but a lot of people like them

Buckcherry Misogynistic vulgar lyrics, but sounds pretty good

System of a Down You probably already listen to them, but if you don't do so soon.

Omitting things that other people have said. Although I promise no repeats, as I skimmed the thread at best.

These bands are fairly good, or they have some sweet-ass one trick pony song that earned them a place on my playlist.

zeratul
2007-04-04, 07:08 PM
guster kicks ass, good call.

FdL
2007-04-05, 12:29 AM
Guster are pretty good, actually.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-05, 12:33 AM
There is always my old standby- find and listen to some Rush. One of the best rock bands ever.

The Prince of Cats
2007-04-05, 06:11 AM
I second the Pandora.com suggestion. Another one a little similar is Last.fm, which connects itself to your music player of choice (even Windows Media Player) and tries to judge your tastes by listening to your music.

If you like Nirvana, perhaps you might look at Bush and Institute. Or you could try even more old-school and look into AC/DC, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden...

Dr._Weird
2007-04-05, 06:42 AM
Korn ****ing sweet
Eeeewwww. Korn is terrible.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-05, 06:45 AM
I agree with Dr. Weird. Korn is horrible. I prefer some of the far better metal bands out there.

zeratul
2007-04-05, 02:22 PM
Guster are pretty good, actually.

Excuse me, but my parents are college English teachers Guster *is pretty good. Also where can I find that acoustic version of here's to life shadow?:smallconfused:

Amotis
2007-04-05, 02:48 PM
Isn't multiple people referred to as "are?"

zeratul
2007-04-05, 02:51 PM
Isn't multiple people referred to as "are?"

yes but when one refers to a band it is one band, therefor one must refer to it as one thing.

also you should have said aren't multiple people referrd to as are.

FdL
2007-04-05, 06:17 PM
No. The name of a band is a collective noun (ie, a band is a group composed of several individuals). Therefore you can refer to it both as plural or singular. I know because I've studied it at university, so please don't "my dad" me.

zeratul
2007-04-05, 08:53 PM
No. The name of a band is a collective noun (ie, a band is a group composed of several individuals). Therefore you can refer to it both as plural or singular. I know because I've studied it at university, so please don't "my dad" me.

oh snaps. In any case the more frequently excepted is using it in the singular. No need to get all defensive.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-05, 08:58 PM
Do a google search for bandits of the acoustic revolution- it will take you to their site, and you can but some stuff. I think.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-04-07, 03:46 PM
Personally I'd recommend going back 40 or so years and listening to some oldies. they're so old they're new!*smil*

BTW Is your avatar the Luggage form the Discworld. Lovin' the avvie so much. Discworld rules!