PDA

View Full Version : What to wish for

Charity
2007-03-27, 08:03 PM
Hi all, I'm looking for some inspiration.
I am currently playing a game of 3.0
I'm playing a TWF Fighter/ Rogue currently level 6, there is a Sorcerer, a cleric and a fighter/barbarian. We are about to embark on a quest, for which the reward will be a wish each.
The other three players are very inexperianced and will/are looking to me for some guidance. To keep life simple we are only using PHB and DMG stuff to draw from, so what should we each wish for?

martyboy74
2007-03-27, 08:07 PM
What level of cheesification do you want?

Wolf53226
2007-03-27, 08:11 PM
How much wording do you think you'll need not to be killed by you DM by the request?

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-27, 08:14 PM
Wish for a luck blade :D

Charity
2007-03-27, 08:20 PM
How much wording do you think you'll need not to be killed by you DM by the request?

Well if you stay within the spells limits, i'm sure there will be no evil twisting, he's not that kind of guy.

What level of cheesification do you want?
Nothing too irritating to the DM, but with the strict liitations i doubt it can get too cheesey, so knock yourself out, if it's not what ii'd consider reasonable I simply won't use it.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-03-27, 08:21 PM
The wish spell has set value limits, where you can safely wish for some things without getting screwed ove (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wish.htm)r. The messups come when you try and exceed them. So I'd wish for a magic item, a permanent boost to a stat, or get 25,000 gp. and spend it on whatever you want.

I just came off a game where I ended up drawing from a deck of many things (one card) and got myself three wishes.
I wished for a permanent +2 to Int, and then a Greater Rod of Metamagic Quicken.

Aximili
2007-03-27, 08:23 PM
Wish for a Rod of wonders =D,
Those things are simply made of fun^^
The highest level spell caster I ever played rarely used this rod more than his own spells.
(Actually, Wish for two of them, I believe they are cheap enough for that)

Charity
2007-03-27, 08:25 PM
The wish spell has set value limits, where you can safely wish for some things without getting screwed ove (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wish.htm)r. The messups come when you try and exceed them. So I'd wish for a magic item, a permanent boost to a stat, or get 25,000 gp. and spend it on whatever you want.
I think it's 15K in 3.0... *wanders off to check*

Wish for a luck blade :D
well over those limits I'm afraid.

Allandaros
2007-03-27, 08:30 PM
What does your character most want in life?

Aximili
2007-03-27, 08:32 PM
If anyone's got a +2 weapon, improving it to +4 is a 24.000GP difference.
So... do you think he'll have change for 25K?:smallbiggrin:

Sutremaine
2007-03-27, 09:03 PM
If anyone's got a +2 weapon, improving it to +4 is a 24.000GP difference.
So... do you think he'll have change for 25K?:smallbiggrin:
Doesn't that depend on what other abilities it has?

ajkkjjk52
2007-03-27, 09:08 PM
What does your character most want in life?

Agreed. What's your character concept? Is there some backstory thing that's motivating him/her? Or is it just "I want to be really powerful and have sweet magic gear."

I think a role-playing wish, as opposed to a roll-playing one, will be more fun in the long run, even if the rest of your party gets slightly cooler swords.

Ranis
2007-03-27, 09:51 PM
I think a role-playing wish, as opposed to a roll-playing one, will be more fun in the long run, even if the rest of your party gets slightly cooler swords.

I agree. This is definitely the way to go.

Aximili
2007-03-27, 09:57 PM
Doesn't that depend on what other abilities it has?When I said +2 sword, I meant all the abilities together.

crazedloon
2007-03-27, 10:16 PM
wish for a ring of wishes (with all three gems still in it) then you can carry it around and figure out what you need when you need it :smallwink:

Erom
2007-03-27, 10:19 PM
+1 to a stat. That'll be useful for as long as you play the character, I would think.

Charity
2007-03-28, 03:40 AM
Those looking for character concept he is a TWF rogue, he is smart and able.
He adventures for the thrill of it all. This is an introduction for the other three players, so it is reasonably mechanical game, I need suggestions for the other three players more than myself, if I screw my own wish I only have myself to blame.

Quietus
2007-03-28, 04:31 AM
See if your DM will give you a wish that provides "Natural luck" - once a day, you can force a reroll of a single die roll. If he's in it for the thrill, then that will let him get into horrible situations and have that slight edge that might let him get back out again.

Variable Arcana
2007-03-28, 07:00 AM
... So I'd wish for a magic item, a permanent boost to a stat, or get 25,000 gp. and spend it on whatever you want.

I just came off a game where I ended up drawing from a deck of many things (one card) and got myself three wishes.
I wished for a permanent +2 to Int, and then a Greater Rod of Metamagic Quicken.
Did your DM miss this clause:
XP Cost

The minimum XP cost for casting wish is 5,000 XP. When a wish duplicates a spell that has an XP cost, you must pay 5,000 XP or that cost, whichever is more. When a wish creates or improves a magic item, you must pay twice the normal XP cost for crafting or improving the item, plus an additional 5,000 XP.

By my quick calcs, you should get a Greater Rod of Metamagic Quicken, if you wish for it, but immediately lose 6,800 xps as the cost to produce it (in addition to 5,000 more if you cast the wish as a spell yourself). Ouch! (Though still worth it, if you're at a level where you need to Greater version)

Variable Arcana
2007-03-28, 07:02 AM
To the original question:

Stat boosts are always a good idea -- and keep being valuable for a long time.

Don't forget that if one of the characters dies, the wish they earned can be used to resurrect them.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-03-28, 07:05 AM
Did your DM miss this clause:

By my quick calcs, you should get a Greater Rod of Metamagic Quicken, if you wish for it, but immediately lose 6,800 xps as the cost to produce it (in addition to 5,000 more if you cast the wish as a spell yourself). Ouch! (Though still worth it, if you're at a level where you need to Greater version)

Hunh, even through a deck of many things?

Rigeld2
2007-03-28, 07:17 AM
The wording implies that the deck is granting, hence casting them, so the deck loses the XP. Since its an item, it cant lose the XP. Hence, grats on your toy.

Variable Arcana
2007-03-28, 07:21 AM
*shrug*

The "Deck of Many Things" descrip for the Moon card says: "These wishes are the same as those granted by the 9th-level wizard spell..."

I'd assume that, just like with a ring of three wishes, the base 5,000 xp to cast the spell is not a factor -- those points came from the original spellcaster. But... the extra XPs need to come from somewhere -- as far as I know, this is the only thing preventing the "I wish for a Ring of Three Wishes!" idea from working in the Rules as Written (obviously, in any actual game the DM would be what stops that from working...).

Note, that in a major city you could trade a Greater Rod of Metamagic Quickening for a Ring of Three Wishes and get more than 25,000 gold in change. (Assuming you're allowed to barter...)

NullAshton
2007-03-28, 07:24 AM
You could wish for permanent tongues. The wish would be, 'I wish to understand and to speak all languages.' Permanency is under the limits of a wish, and if your DM complains about it, just cast Tongues on yourself beforehand.

There's also wishing for 25,000 diamonds, good for purchases or ressurections. If you can't think of anything else, that's always a good fallback.

You might could also ask for a ring of wishes, with one wish left and only usable by you. You couldn't get any money for it, but you could use that wish at any time afterward, if you really need the wish for some reason.

Om
2007-03-28, 07:35 AM
Based on some threads I've been seeing around lately, you should wish to be a wizard. Apparently they're pretty neat :smallwink:

JellyPooga
2007-03-28, 09:36 AM
Girls!

To which the appropriate DM reply is: A voice booms in your head: "My, aren't we lonely?"...nothing else happens

(credited to Thomas Biskup)

mikeejimbo
2007-03-28, 11:13 AM

Unfortunately for me, my DM will screw you over even if you stay within those limits, if you don't word it well.

To answer the question: I like the idea of something that fits in with the character concepts, but I think it should also be mechanically useful. I know if I was a cleric I'd probably wish for something boring like 25,000 gold worth of diamonds for resurrections.

Charity
2007-03-28, 11:22 AM
I will need to advise a smashy smashy half orc ftr/brb, a sorcerer and a cleric also. For each of these guys there isn't a lot of characterisation, though they are comming along. I need to give them some sound advice, or they will wish for immortality or god like powers and get themselves roasted.
They need to be appealing but not outside the limitations.

Gralamin
2007-03-28, 11:23 AM
I'd just wish for a usable once, not-a-scroll of gate.
And then gate in an efreeti <.<

hmm for the cleric, an item that can use healing spells a few times/day?
Sorcerer, If you have access to the magic item compendium, a runestaff. If not, grab him a cloak of charisma +6.
The Half orc would probably like a belt of ogre strength +6

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-03-28, 11:48 AM
It might be worth it to get Silent Moves and Shadowed enhancements on your armor. Neither one are a +x enhancement, they're both a flat 3,750. Too bad Improved costs 15k, or you could get both improved. Heck, talk to your GM, this basically gives your armor the equivelant of Cloak and Boots of Elvenkind, a +10 to hide and move silently respectively. He might go for it even though the theoretical limit is 25k and this would cost 30k.

Or, if you don't have a nifty piece of armor yet... *evil chuckle*

+3 Mithral Chain Shirt Glamored, Silent Moves, Shadowed. This beaut will run ya around 20k (1,100 for the Mithral Chain Shirt to enchant, which already comes masterworked, +3 is 9k, 2700 for Glamored, 3,750 for silent moves and again for Shadowed, makes it a total of $20,300. Toss on Slick for 3750 if you want a +5 to Escape Artist). This armor gives you a total of +7 armor bonus to AC, it doesn't look like armor, and it grants a +5 bonus to Hide and Move Silently. Oh, it also has no dex check penalty, so feel free to tumble around.

Also, a Ring of Invisibility is only 20k... this keeps you invisible for plenty of sneak attacking flat footed opponents who can't see you.

Ring of Protection +3 gives you a +3 deflection mod to AC, which works even when you are flat footed and against sneak attacks. For 18k, it slides home under the benchmark.

A Ring of Chamelion Power gives a +10 competence bonus to Hide checks and lets you cast Disguise Self at will, and only runs 12,700

A Cloak of Resistance +5 costs 25k exactly and gives you a +5 on all saves... not too shabby, eh?

Gloves of Dexterity +4 is only 16k, horray for more Dex

Amulet of Natural Armor +3 is 18k... handy if you expect to be mixing it up in melee.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-03-28, 12:11 PM
I will need to advise a smashy smashy half orc ftr/brb, a sorcerer and a cleric also. For each of these guys there isn't a lot of characterisation, though they are comming along. I need to give them some sound advice, or they will wish for immortality or god like powers and get themselves roasted.
They need to be appealing but not outside the limitations.

For the smashy half orc ftr/brb... suggest him a weapon. What does he use? Make it Adamantine (to prevent sundering and to be able to sunder). You can get up to a +3 under the 25k mark. While some like the elemental or even elemental burst, it's really not all that good. Your +3 base gives you a +3 to hit as well as damage. This can translate into a lot more damage output when you are Power Attacking (basically free Power Attack points, a +3 can translate into 6 points of damage of power attack plus the +3 for damage, for a total of 9 damage extra... not too shabby, eh?).

Other than that, he needs protection.

Armor: Mithral Full Plate. This counts as Medium Armor (Mr. Barbarian will be happy about that), and has a max dex mod of +3. That's 10,500 right there. So we've got just under 15k to spend on enchantments. A +3 enhancement is only 9k, then Glamor it so it looks like your typical barbarian leathers for an extra 2,700. Spell Resistance is a trap, 13 is a +2 enhancement, and can be bested by any 1st level wizard without many problems. Fort is a trap too, since he's already harder to sneak attack due to Barbarian levels, and only has a percentage chance of working.

Again, a Cloak of Protection +5, Amulet of Natural Armor +3, Ring of Protection +3, are all handy for fighters and all under 25k

A Cloak of Displacement, Minor, costs 24k, and gives him Concealment, a flat 20% miss chance against him, and flat immunity to sneak attacks, reguardless how high level the rogue is.

For the Cleric

Phylactery of Undead Turning is only 11k and lets him turn as though he were four levels higher.

Periapt of Wisdom + 4 is only 16k. More wis is good.

A Wand of Cure Critical Wounds is 21k and comes with 50 charges...

And for the Sorcerer...

Really, there's one glaring thing I can see him just drooling over.

+3 Twilight Mithral Chain Shirt, Glamored. Twilight is a +1 enhancement and reduces Arcane Spell Failure by 10%. Mithral also reduces ASF by 10%. Congratulations, you have an armor bonus of +7, max dex bonus of +6, NO arcane spell failure OR dex check penalty. Yea, you don't need Mage Armor anymore, this frees up a 1st level spell for something more useful. Oh, it still looks like wizards robes, or whatever he wants to look like wearing.

Other than that, Cloak of Charisma +4 is under budget. So is a Ring of Wizardry, type 1 (doubles 1st level spells).

ExHunterEmerald
2007-03-28, 12:13 PM
Unfortunately for me, my DM will screw you over even if you stay within those limits, if you don't word it well.

To answer the question: I like the idea of something that fits in with the character concepts, but I think it should also be mechanically useful. I know if I was a cleric I'd probably wish for something boring like 25,000 gold worth of diamonds for resurrections.

That's not really fair; I mean, there aren't a lot of ways to phrase the wishes in question...look at a stat boost, for instance. You can say "I wish to be stronger," or a few permutations on that. But you really can't put much into that.

Om
2007-03-28, 12:13 PM
Out of curiosity, where is everybody getting these prices for items from?

marjan
2007-03-28, 12:18 PM
Out of curiosity, where is everybody getting these prices for items from?

Probably from here (http://www.d20srd.org/) or DMG.

Charity
2007-03-28, 02:27 PM
Thanks Shneeky, but unfortunately in 3.0 you only get 15K worth of stuff... pretty manky for a 9th level spell, I can see why they upgraded it.
i can get lesser versions of much of it, and the cameleon ring is still fairly tempting.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-03-28, 06:34 PM
Thanks Shneeky, but unfortunately in 3.0 you only get 15K worth of stuff... pretty manky for a 9th level spell, I can see why they upgraded it.
i can get lesser versions of much of it, and the cameleon ring is still fairly tempting.

Ahh

Well, the Sorcerer can still get his +1 Twilight Chain Shirt, Glamored. Looses two points of enchantment, but at least it keeps being 0 ASF or Dex check penalty

Likewise, you can still go for +1 Mithral Chain Shirt, Glamored, Silent Moves, Shadowed. It sneaks in at just under 10k, and still gives you +5 to hide and move silently, obviating (and doesn't stack with) cloak and boots of elvenkind.

Cameleon ring is good for rogues as well.

Here's an interesting idea... Myrlund's Spoon is 5,400, which can feed up to four PC's. Decanter of Endless Water is 9k. Combined, they are unlimited food and water for your party, and is less than 15k total.

martyboy74
2007-03-28, 06:53 PM
Actually, the description of wish specifically has "create a magic item" seperate from "create a non-magical item", and only the non-magical item has the 25K limit. So, no need to be stingy.

LotharBot
2007-03-28, 07:14 PM
Just to clarify, since Variable Arcana brought it up: if you personally cast a wish spell, you must pay the 5000 XP. If an item (a deck of many things, a ring of 3 wishes, a luckblade, etc.) casts a wish spell, that item's creator already paid the 5000 XP, so you don't have to. If another creature (djinni or whatever) casts a wish spell, that creature spends the XP, so again, you don't have to.

As for what to wish for:
- cool magic items you'd probably buy later anyway. Everyone wants an item of primary attribute +6. A nifty magic sword is nice, too.
- cool inherent bonuses / effects. Permanent enlarge person, arcane sight, tongues, etc. Pick a set of abilities that make sense for your character and ask for those. A scholar-wizard might go for arcane sight and tongues, while a melee type might go for enlarge person and some kind of inherent combat bonus.
- items that give 1/day or 3/day abilities you'd find useful. Clerics might find Prayer Beads useful. Pearls of power are usually nice (RAW is unclear, so I house-ruled that you can use one pearl per spell slot.) Any sort of 3/day smite evil or 1/day teleport item can be nice.

Charity
2007-03-28, 07:58 PM
After much thought I'm comming to the conclusion that it's a toss up between
1. take the cash - any single item cannot be worth more than the 15K, but if I take the cash i can have several small items or add to the cash and get a bigger one.
2. Inherent bonus to a stat - as this would cost 27.5K to achieve through cash.
I think I shall just offer this simple choice to the other three, it boils down to cash or stat.

oh and I suppose
3. Get perminantly chessily polymorphed into some super strong, super quick monster of some kind. which I simply couldn't bring myself to do.