PDA

View Full Version : Simple Interesting Fighter (True Champion Martial Archetype)

CrusaderJoe
2014-12-11, 12:56 PM
True Champion

Lv. 3

Momentum Strike: When you hit a target with a weapon attack you may push the target 5' away or 5' to the side.

The distance increases by 5' each time you gain a True Champion Martial Archetype feature.

At level 3 the target must be large or smaller, increase this by 1 size category for each martial archetype you gain.

Level 7

Remarkable Athlete. You always have advantage in athletics and acrobatics checks. You add half you prof bonus (round up) to all ability checks involving Str or Dex that doesn't use it already.

Level 10

Weapon Specialization: You gain all Fighting Styles that effect your weapons (thus you don't gain protection). Only one may apply to your attacks at one time. You may declare as part of another action which Fighting Style you are using.

Level 15

Juggernaut: When you move through magical or non-magical terrain, it doesn't reduce your movement. You have resistance to all damage from attacks you provoke for moving (including from traps, items, normal terrain, and magical terrain).

Level 18

Survivor: As Champion's Survivor

So momentum strike is like Thorn Whip with variable (weapon dependent) distance. Sweet and simple. Movement by this ability doe not provoke OA. You may replace Momentum Strike with Superior Critical if you wish.

Remarkable Athelete is just overall more useful. Always having advantage on Athletics and Acrobatics will be fun and should help counter the Rogue's expertise. With this if you want to make a grappler fighter build you won't really need to take Rogue 1 anymore. Comes on a bit later but still is nice. This also can never be turned to disadvantage or normal roll due to the wording, just like how the Rogue's expertise can't be taken away. This isn't meant to be equal to expertise just was kinda based on it.

Weapon Specialization: Really I feel this could be better. But I'm keeping it simple. The only issue is protection, will probably just change it to "gain all fighting styles except protection". Needs work.

Juggernaut: sweet and simple. Very good visual on this.

18: The only thing I like about the regular champion archetype.

So what am I missing? Also, yeah I know I typed Superior Critical to replace Momentum Strike and not Superior Critical. 19-20 crit isn't really that impressive with the critical damage rules.

Amnoriath
2014-12-11, 02:12 PM
True Champion

Lv. 3

Momentum Strike: When you hit a target with a weapon attack you may push the target 5' away or 5' to the side.

With an unarmed attack you may pull a creature toward you as you move back 5' which uses part of your movement this turn.

The distance increases by 5' each time you gain a True Champion Martial Archetype feature.

At level 3 the target must be large or smaller, increase this by 1 size category for each martial archetype you gain.

Level 7

Remarkable Athlete. You always have advantage in athletics and acrobatics checks. You add half you prof bonus (round up) to all ability checks involving Str or Dex that doesn't use it already.

Level 10

Weapon Specialization: You gain all Fighting Styles. Only one may apply to your weapon attacks at one time.

Level 15

Juggernaut: When you move through magical or non-magical terrain, it doesn't reduce your movement. You have resistance to all damage from attacks you provoke for moving (including from traps, items, normal terrain, and magical terrain).

Level 18

Survivor: As Champion's Survivor

@@@@

So momentum strike is like Thorn Whip with variable (weapon dependent) distance. Sweet and simple. You may replace Momentum Strike with Superior Critical if you wish.

Remarkable Athelete is just overall more useful. Always having advantage on Athletics and Acrobatics will be fun and should help counter the Rogue's expertise. With this if you want to make a grappler fighter build you won't really need to take Rogue 1 anymore. Comes on a bit later but still is nice. This also can never be turned to disadvantage or normal roll due to the wording, just like how the Rogue's expertise can't be taken away. This isn't meant to be equal to expertise just was kinda based on it.

Weapon Specialization: Really I feel this could be better. But I'm keeping it simple. The only issue is protection, will probably just change it to "gain all fighting styles except protection". Needs work.

Juggernaut: sweet and simple. Very good visual on this.

18: The only thing I like about the regular champion archetype.

So what am I missing? Also, yeah I know I typed Superior Critical to replace Momentum Strike and not Superior Critical. 19-20 crit isn't really that impressive with the critical damage rules.
1. Everything except for the first is good as is. The problem with the first is not only is it a very large distance against any kind of opponent with no save on every attack but how is this grabbing handled in movement? If it consumes the same amount of movement you pull back then you might as well as move with them. Pushing all the time also isn't an optimal strategy for melee as such this hems it in for a ranged use right off the bat which goes against the idea of the Champion. It might be better just to allow them to choose a bonus feat as they can pick what they want.
2. Well the major issue with the threat range increase is that it becomes a dip for those who can spam advantage and/or add critical damage die. So it becomes a far better Barbarian supplement than a Fighter feature.