PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Etched Weapons [PEACH]

mabriss lethe
2007-03-27, 09:48 PM
New Magic Weapon Quality, Tell me what you all think of it.

Shadow Etched

Deeply engraved with indecipherable runes and twisted symbols, darkness swirls and writhes along the length of a weapon etched by shadow. Saturated with energies from the plane of shadows, the magic will seek to conform to whatever conditions arise to cause harm to a target. Anyone wielding a shadow etched weapon has a 20% chance of overcoming a target's damage reduction if this weapon would not already do so. The weapon also has a 20% chance (determined separately) to mimic an attack type that the target has a weakness against, where applicable. If there is no weakness to exploit, this facet of the power fails to activate. Shadow etched weapons never give off magical light. Projectile weapons transfer these abilities to their ammunition when fired.

Moderate Illusion [Shadow]; CL 9th: Craft Magical Arms and Armor; Shadow Evocation; Price +1 bonus

Shadow Etched, Greater:

As per the Shadow Etched Quality, but the abilities function 60% of the time.

Powerful Illusion [Shadow]: CL 15th; Craft Magical Arms and Armor; Greater Shadow Evocation; Price +3 bonus

Kyace
2007-03-27, 11:01 PM
Currently the Greater Shadow Etched costs three times as much for three times the coverage. It might fit with your flavor text that the Greater Shadow Etched also blinds victims without darkvision or blindsight on a critical or something.

mabriss lethe
2007-03-27, 11:18 PM
Currently the Greater Shadow Etched costs three times as much for three times the coverage. It might fit with your flavor text that the Greater Shadow Etched also blinds victims without darkvision or blindsight on a critical or something.

Not sure how I want to proceed at this point. I know it's missing something. I was basically ripping off the percentages from the spells that supply their power. I figured that was the best place to start from. I already know that the missing facet should probably be applied to a successful critical, and seeing your variant reinforced that. Thanks.

I thought about having the greater variant function against the target as a Bane weapon on a successful crit, but I'm still not sure about that. Another thought is that upon a successful crit, the shadow magic clings to the target, suppressing any DR or immunities it might have for a few rounds.

Thoughts?

Icewalker
2007-03-28, 01:42 AM
Erm.....Real sorry man.

Quoting directly from page 155 of the book "Tome of Magic"

NEW WEAPON SPECIAL ABILITY: SHADOW STRIKING
Although mystery users are not normally martial combatants, they have developed the shadow striking weapon special ability to aid them and their companions in battle. A shadow striking weapon takes on the properties of a creature it hits, developing the ability to overcome damage reduction.
Description: A shadow striking weapon is an unreflective jet black. It almost seems to ripple on occasion, like an object viewed under a thin layer of uneasy water. It is uncomfortably cold, but not painful, to the touch.
Prerequisite: The striking surface of shadow striking weapon must be made of metal. Weapons that are made entirely of wood cannot be shadow striking. Bows, crossbows, and slings cannot benefit from the shadow striking ability, but metal ammunition can.
Activation: A shadow striking weapon automatically attunes itself to the target. When it strikes a target that has damage reduction, it adjusts iteslf to overcome the damage reduction of that creature.
Effect: Shadow striking weapons draw on the reflective nature of shadow to alter their nature and overcome damage reduction. A shadow striking weapon can adjust to emulate any alignment or substance required to overcome damage reduction.
Aura/Caster Level: Moderate universal (shadow). CL 9th.
Construction: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, creation of the weapon must take place on the plane of Shadow.
Price: +3 bonus. http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i394544_ShadowStriking.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com)A shadow striking greatsword, Illus. by W. England

So yeah, Wizards beat you to this one in the Tome of Magic, shadow section. Sorry. Yours has slight differences, (only a chance to activate, lower price, chance to emulate weakness, not just DR) but I dunno. I suggest at least working off this one.

:frown:

Lets make the frown not look like part of my sig with white writing! hooray!

mabriss lethe
2007-03-28, 02:06 PM
darnation! ah well... Guess I need to grab more books...or, conversely, remember these things in a conscious manner. I peeked through Tome of Magic when it first came out, didn't buy it, though. I guess I've just had this rattling around in the back of my brain since then. It's too close a match not to be influenced by this somewhere....

Latronis
2007-03-28, 02:56 PM
I was gunna quote the same thing, its a weapon quality i'm quite fond of :P