PDA

View Full Version : Jarrr-ate!

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-11, 04:50 PM
Are there any weapons (preferably nonmagical splash weapons) that cause affected targets to take additional damage from other sources for a few rounds (or longer)?

Reference (https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Jarate), for non-TF2-players. It's a jar of urine that the Sniper carries around so he doesn't have to leave his hiding spot.

Fax Celestis
2014-12-11, 08:12 PM
No, but now I wish there was.

One Step Two
2014-12-11, 08:30 PM
One could argue that deploying oil in a similar manner makes fire damage do an additional d6 of damage.

Troacctid
2014-12-11, 08:40 PM
I'm sure there are some that reduce damage reduction and/or hardness, if that counts.

Pyon
2014-12-11, 08:56 PM
I was so disappointed when this thread wasn't about the weaponization of piss.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-11, 09:07 PM
I'm sure there are some that reduce damage reduction and/or hardness, if that counts.

Hm. That's a pretty good way to go about it, actually. I like.

...It sort of is.

AnonymousPepper
2014-12-11, 09:23 PM
Jarate: This glass jar filled with a disgusting ammonia-based magical substance is the best friend of fighters everywhere. Upon a successful impact with a target - roll a ranged touch attack at the throwing character's usual ranged attack modifier - the jar shatters, dousing the target in the substance for a number of rounds equal to the item's caster level. Entities coated in the substance are disoriented, opening up gaps in their defenses. Foes adjacent to the hit creature may make a reflex save at the creator's saving throw DC*; success negates, but a failure means that the adjacent creatures are coated for half duration. This also applies if the jar misses and lands in another adjacent square.

Any attack against the target of any sort, be it a spell, sword, bow, or any other method that can score a critical hit, has its critical threat range doubled, stacking with all other critical threat range bonuses, and gain a bonus on critical confirmation rolls equal to half the item's caster level. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to this effect, unless the attacker has a method of bypassing its immunity, i.e. dousing an undead target before attacking it with a Greater True Death Crystal.

Furthermore, Jarate is an excellent countermeasure against invisible and disguised targets. An entity coated in this substance will remain visible even when under the effects of magical or supernatural invisibility sources such as greater invisibility or dust of disappearance (which this dispels). Creatures coated in this substance also take a -30 penalty to their Hide checks, and creatures attempting to identify an entity which they have previously doused with this substance and is still under its effect gain a +20 circumstance bonus to their Spot and potentially Survival (to track) checks.

In a pinch, Jarate can also be used to extinguish flames and as a fire retardant; any jar of Jarate will extinguish five square feet of nonmagical fire per caster level, and will dispel and extinguish a magical fire effect of any caster level equal to half or lower than its own. Additionally, a creature coated in Jarate takes half-damage from fire and gains a +4 circumstance bonus to its saving throws against being ignited.

Jarate can be removed from a creature by Dispel Magic or similar spells, by standing for more than one minute in moderate or heavier rain (by DM adjudication), or any submersion in water. It can also be dispelled by a Create Water spell of equal or greater caster level.

Clothing worn by an afflicted person will continue to smell afterward, requiring thorough cleaning, either by mundane or magical means. Until the items are cleaned, any porous items, such as clothing and armor (since it contains a fabric lining on the inside), have their market price reduced by half. Also, until cleaned, any scent-based method of detection or tracking versus a target carrying stained materials gains a bonus to it of +1 per two caster level used in the Jarate's creation.

Jarate can be crafted at whatever caster level the creator chooses, provided she has a sufficient caster level to do so, as she can adjust how potent the mixture is; however, this is a magical item, not an alchemical one. This affects the saving throw DC, the duration, and the price.

*The saving throw is dependent on the caster level used. CLs are identical to the Wizard casting progression, so Jarate created at a caster level of 15 has the DC of its creator's eighth-level spells, regardless of whether she is a full spellcasting class. If she would not normally have eighth-level spells, it is extrapolated as though she did for the purposes of the Jarate. Spell level for the purposes of saving throw DCs may not exceed ninth level.

Conjuration, strength variable (appropriate to CL); CL variable; Craft Wondrous Item, glitterdust or stinking cloud; market price 200gp per caster level per dose.

Darrin
2014-12-12, 09:19 AM
Well, there's Alchemist's Fire. 1d6 fire damage on the following round. Frostfire (Savage Species) works much the same way: 1d6 cold damage on the round it hits and on the following round. Spore Flask (same book) does 1d8 splash damage and then 1d2 damage for 10 rounds afterward.

Let's see, what else...

Alchemical Flare Stakes (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft) do 1d6 fire damage every round to corporeal undead.

Razor Nets (Dragon Compendium) do 1d6 damage whenever the target attempts to escape.

Weapons made out of Rimefire Ice and Stygian Ice (Frostburn) do additional cold damage when they hit. If the weapon is something that sticks inside a creature, such as arrows or a harpoon, then presumably it could do cold damage on additional rounds. Stygian Ice could get pretty nasty... 1d6 cold damage + Will save DC 12 or take 2 Wis damage.

Coating a weapon in Blister Oil (Races of Stone) adds a Fort save to avoid Xd4 untyped damage. Nets/lassos + Sovereign Glue might work as a Blister Oil Bomb (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=12138520&postcount=94).

Xuldarinar
2014-12-12, 10:03 AM
-Snip-

Now that it has stats, how do we make a character that optimizes it?

If this were under pathfinder, which it can be used for with some minor adjustments, I'd want to build a spellslinger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/spellslinger) that creates and regularly uses jarate.

AnonymousPepper
2014-12-13, 03:46 AM
Now that it has stats, how do we make a character that optimizes it?

If this were under pathfinder, which it can be used for with some minor adjustments, I'd want to build a spellslinger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/spellslinger) that creates and regularly uses jarate.

Seeing how it's probably already horribly broken because I've never actually created anything before, no optimization required >_>

Pyon
2014-12-13, 07:52 AM
Seeing how it's probably already horribly broken because I've never actually created anything before, no optimization required >_>

But the point is to go farther and farther, until you are stronger than your DM itself, and no one wants to be your friend anymore.

Hand_of_Vecna
2014-12-13, 11:05 AM

I was disappointed it wasn't about David Bowie's character from Labyrinth.

On Topic: PF's Stingchuck isn't a jar of piss, but it is mundane weaponized grossness. Each one is made from a humanoid head so the ammo is heavy and the range is low forcing it into a niche of back-up weapon.

I'm not sure about the forum rules on copy-pasting from the Pathfinder SRD, so I won't get into particular numbers other than that it has a price of "-". I assume this means that their trivially easy to make as long as you have heads to use.

They do low damage on impact then do more damage from the bugs with no save. There's also a dismally low save against nausea and continual damage which makes them super glooby at low levels, but falls off at hiher levels when
standard alchemy items outperform them in every way; damage, damage type, range increment, touch AC.

The Viscount
2014-12-13, 01:06 PM
Trollbane negates regen, so it could be considered to make damage "extra" since it converts the nonlethal to lethal.