PDA

View Full Version : Time Mage- Please Evaluate and critique

shade1986
2014-12-11, 05:19 PM
Time Magic- Some of the time mages spells are marked with an asterisk. These spells have their school changed to [time]. Their damage (if any) changes to time damage. Time spells have double effect on Undead and Constructs. They also have their effects halved against Dragons and Plants. Finally time spells do not have any effect on Outsiders or Oozes. Time magic only applies to spells acquired from the time mage class and not from spells or spell like abilities from other sources.

Retry- At first level, a time mage can, as a swift action, change a brief moment of time. You may reroll any attack roll, saving throw, or skill check. You must decide to use this ability after the first roll is made but before the results are revealed by the GM. You must take the second result, even if it’s worse. At 6th level the Time Mage's window of opportunity to use retry improves. She can use this ability after the results of the initial roll are determined but before damage (if any) is assigned. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3+ your Charisma modifier.

Been there/Seen that- At third level the time mage has broken the laws of time so much that her own future experiences start to bleed through. This makes it difficult to separate her past present and future and forces her to view her own role in it as more important. Permanently raise her Charisma by 1 point and lower her Wisdom by 1. In addition, the time mage can use all knowledge skills untrained and she gains an insight bonus equal to half her Time Mage level to all knowledge skill checks.

Future Sight- At 9th level the Time Mage gets more precise visions of the possible near futures. These visions continue to affect her ability to tell what is happening and what is possible. She raises her Charisma by another 1 point and lowers her Wisdom by 1 more point. In addition she gains a +1 insight bonus to her attack rolls, reflex saving throws, and AC. This bonus increases to +2 at level 14 and +3 at level 19.

E=MC2 - At twelfth level the Time Mage understands that just as time can be changed and altered so can space. The increase in possible futures this knowledge brings takes its toll on the Time Mage's psyche. Her Charisma is raised by another 1 point and her wisdom is lowered by 1. She can use Dimension Door at will as a spell like ability. The range is reduced to 80 ft and she cannot take anyone else with her. Otherwise this ability functions as the spell.

Rewind - The Time mage has discovered how to change time itself instead of just her place in it. Once per day she can force another creature regardless of type or HD to reroll one attack roll, saving throw, or skill check. This ability can be used after the results of the first roll have been revealed but before damage (if any) is assigned. Destroying possible realities in this way continues to skew the Time Mages perception of reality. Her Charisma is increased by 1 point and her Wisdom is lowered by 1.

Anomaly- At 20th level the time mage no longer believes in reality and understand that time and space are what she makes of them. Her type changes to aberration and she no longer has a wisdom score but her Charisma score increases by 2 points. Since she doesn’t believe anything is real anyways, she automatically passes all will saving throws (though she can choose to fail if she wishes). Because she can see so many different timelines all at the same time she now uses her intelligence modifier instead of wisdom for wisdom based skill checks. As a result of her fractured hold on realities she is never fully in any one timeline and so it’s more difficult to affect her. She gains DR 5/- and SR 20.

BAB Fort Ref Will Spells per Day
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1: +0 2
2: +1 2
3: +1 3
4: +2 3 1
5: +2 4 2
6: +3 4 2 1
7: +3 5 3 2
8: +4 5 3 2 1
9: +4 5 4 3 2
10: +5 5 4 3 2 1
11: +5 5 5 4 3 2
12: +6 5 5 4 3 2 1
13: +6 5 5 4 4 3 2
14: +7 5 5 4 4 3 2 1
15: +7 5 5 4 4 4 3 2
16: +8 5 5 4 4 4 3 2 1
17: +8 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 2
18: +9 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 2 1
19: +9 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 3 2
20: +10 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 3 3

Level 0
Bleed
Daze
Mending
Guidance

Level 1
Abundant Ammunition
Anticipate Peril
Break
Bungle
Cure Light Wounds (time)
Dead Eye's Lore
Decompose Corpse
Diagnose Disease
Expeditious Retreat
Feather Fall
Heightened Awareness
Inflict Light Wounds (time)
Jury Rig
Know the Enemy
Memory Lapse
Restore Corpse
Sanctuary
Stunning Barrier
Touch of Gracelessness
True Strike
Youthful Appearance

Level 2
Accelerate Poison
Augury
Cure Moderate Wounds *
Daze Monster
Delay Disease
Delay Poison
False Life (time)
Gentle Repose
Hold Person
Inflict Moderate Wounds*
Investigative Mind
Make Whole
Retuning Weapon
Remove Paralysis
Restoration, Lesser
Time Shudder

Level 3
Blink
Cure Serious Wounds*
Delay Poison, Communal
Dispel Magic
Haste
Inflict Serious Wounds*
Locate Weakness
Nap Stack
Pup Shape
Returning Weapon Communal
Sands of Time
Slow
Stunning Barrier Greater
Vampiric Touch *

Level 4
Age Resistance, Lesser
Calcific Touch*
Cure Critical Wounds*
Dimension Door
Dimensional Anchor
Dismissal
Divination
Enervation*
False Life, Greater*
Inflict Critical Wounds
Make Whole Greater
Poison*
Restoration
Symbol of Slowing
True Form

Level 5
Breath of Life*
Cleanse*
Cure Light Wounds, Mass*
Fabricate
Hold Monster
Hostile Juxtaposition
Inflict Light Wounds, Mass*
Permanency
Plane Shift
Raise Dead*
Rapid Repair
Slay Living*
Teleport

Level 6
Age Resistance
Banishment
Circle of Death*
Cure Moderate Wounds Mass*
Disintegrate*
Forbiddance
Getaway
Harm*
Heal*
Inflict Moderate Wounds, Mass*
Word of Recall

Level 7
Age Resistance Greater
Create Demiplane, Lesser
Cure Serious Wounds Mass*
Deflection
Destruction*
Dimensional Bounce
Hold Person, Mass
Hostile Juxtaposition, Greater
Inflict Serious Wounds Mass*
Instant Summons
Limited Wish
Plane Shift
Refuge
Regenerate*
Restoration Greater
Resurrection**
Teleport Object
Teleport, Greater
Temporary Resurrection*
Walk Through Space

Level 8
Clone
Create Demiplane
Cure Critical Wounds, Mass*
Dimensional Lock
Moment of Prescience
Nine Lives
Orb of the Void*
Prediction of Failure
Temporal Stasis

Level 9
Create Demiplane, Greater
Energy Drain*
Foresight
Freedom
Heal, Mass*
Hold Monster Mass
Imprisonment
Interplanetary Travel
Refuge
Teleportation Circle
Time Stop
Wish

Southern Cross
2014-12-12, 03:50 AM
First Question: Is the time mage a prepared or spontaneous caster? (What is its prime spellcasting attribute? Int or Cha?)
Second Question: Are time mages arcane or divine casters? The time mage seems to have most (if not all) the healing spells from the cleric spell list.
Third Question: Are you going to expand the time mage spell list? As it stands now many of the time mage spells have no effect against Outsiders and Oozes. Time mages need more offensive and defensive spells, at the very least.

shade1986
2014-12-12, 10:11 AM
Sorry about that. The time mage is a spontaneous arcane caster. Charisma is their primary casting stat. I gave them the cure and inflict spells but they have the asterisk which means they are cast as time magic. I purposely gave them fewer attack and defense spells for balance and flavor. They have access to their entire spell list but cast spontaneously. I dont feel a time mage should have much to use against timeless creatures like outsiders and oozes.

shade1986
2014-12-12, 01:28 PM
My biggest concern with this class was whether or not the lvl 20 ability was OP. i didnt think so becuase at lvl 20 a caster is almost immune to Will saves anyways but another DM I play with feels that its extreme.

CrusaderJoe
2014-12-12, 02:07 PM
My biggest concern with this class was whether or not the lvl 20 ability was OP. i didnt think so becuase at lvl 20 a caster is almost immune to Will saves anyways but another DM I play with feels that its extreme.

Funny enough, everything is relative.

Is it powerful? Hell yes.

Is it stronger than other level 20 features? Hell Yes.

Is the game balanced to begin with? Nope.

To get DMs to allow it you may want to change it a bit.

Anomaly- At 20th level the time mage no longer has use for conventional thoughts of time and space, they are merely playthings to her.

Her type changes to aberration and she becomes immune to any effect (and partial effects) that are result of a Will Save.

Due to her insight in the space time continuum she now uses her intelligence modifier instead of wisdom for wisdom based skill checks.

As a result of her fractured hold on realities she is never fully in any one timeline she is constantly under the effects of Blink, though you are not moving from the Material plane to the Ethereal plane but multiple Material planes. The Time Mage may use a swift action to start and stop this ability.

@@@@

This is a very strong level 20 capstone that would fly in a game I run, but when I run level 20 games the group makes this class look tame. I think the will save stuff should be out of there and replaced by something else... Mostly because the time mage should still be susceptible to some things that come from will saves such as fear.

shade1986
2014-12-14, 09:56 PM
Wow I really like those changes. I might even take it a step farther and instead of immune to all will effects i might just say enchantments and illusions. thank you for your help.

JoshuaZ
2014-12-14, 10:20 PM
It might make more sense to give them at level 20 some really high bonus to will saves and that a natural 1 isn't an automatic failure for their saves. Maybe that together with the same effects as improved mettle for will saves only would be a little more balanced and wouldn't be nearly as abuseable.

Roadie
2014-12-15, 12:54 PM
For the level 20 ability, I'd say make it a constant mind blank effect rather than an immunity to certain spell schools. That gives a useful mind-affecting immunity plus nicely thematic anti-divination, and at that level an item of constant mind blank is affordable by other characters so it's not going to break the game by itself.

shade1986
2014-12-15, 04:02 PM
Oh Roadie, I love it!! That is the perfect balance I think.

Anomaly- At 20th level the Time Mage no longer has use for conventional thoughts of time and space, they are merely playthings to her.

Her type changes to aberration and she is gains the effects of a constant Mind Blank as per the spell.

Due to her insight in the space time continuum she now uses her intelligence modifier instead of wisdom for wisdom based skill checks.

As a result of her fractured hold on realities she is never fully in any one timeline, she is constantly under the effects of Blink, though she is not moving from the Material plane to the Ethereal plane but multiple Material planes. The Time Mage may use a swift action to start and stop this ability.

Southern Cross
2014-12-16, 07:21 PM
As written, time mages make a good support class. They are better healers than the bard, and their limited utility spells make them useful for transport, especially at high levels of play.
I need to work on giving them a better experience level table.

JoshuaZ
2014-12-16, 08:46 PM
It could I think use a few more abilities that aren't spellcasting specific. I'm not sure the wisdom reduction from Been there/Seen that is necessary- I understand the flavor behind it but it makes it a less appealling. Maybe instead make it just a penalty to Perception (or if this is intended for 3.5 Spot, Listen and and Search), although even that could be plausibly fluffed as something that should be positive: "I saw the orcs coming because I knew where to look because I already saw them in 2 seconds." For that matter, this does need skills to be specified.

Also they should probably get access to Astral Projection. You should probably put in the first post that it is spontaneous.

Also, the conversion to "Time" damage- does it apply to other copies of those spells by the caster? I presume that a cleric/Time mage would not cast their inflict spells they cast as a cleric this way, but it should be stated explicitly.

Southern Cross
2014-12-17, 05:54 PM
You've given the time mage class cantrips, but not given the number of times they are available. I suggest that the time mage can use a number of cantrips equal to 3 plus the time mage's Charisma modifier per day.
Furthermore, at what level does the time mage gain the Retry Ability? I need to know in order to include the ability on the new time mage class table I'm working on.

shade1986
2014-12-19, 02:44 AM
Retry is a first level ability although it improves at lvl 6. And your right, time magic only change spells acquired from the time mage class and not spells or spell like abilities from other sources. The class is actually "supposed" to be for pathfinder so in that situation the cantrips should not consume spell slots when used. But if your building for 3.x go ahead and set the limit on cantrips.

Southern Cross
2014-12-19, 05:30 PM
Thanks shade1986! I actually meant "Rewind" though. My mistake.

Southern Cross
2014-12-19, 05:40 PM
Here's my current table for the time mage class. Can I assume that the time mage class gets the Rewind class ability at level 15?

Time Mage
Base Saves
Time Mage Spells Per Day

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st
+0
+0
+0
+2
Cantrips, Retry
—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

2nd
+1
+0
+0
+3
—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

3rd
+1
+1
+1
+3
Been there, seen that
—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

4th
+2
+1
+1
+4
—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

5th
+2
+1
+1
+4
—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

6th
+3
+2
+2
+5
Retry improves
—
—
—
—
—
—

7th
+3
+2
+2
+5
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

8th
+4
+2
+2
+6
—
—
—
—
—
—

9th
+4
+3
+3
+6
Future Sight +1
—
—
—
—
—

10th
+5
+3
+3
+7
—
—
—
—
—

11th
+5
+3
+3
+7
—
—
—
—
—

12th
+6/+1
+4
+4
+8
E=MC2
—
—
—

13th
+6/+1
+4
+4
+8
—
—
—
—

14th
+7/+2
+4
+4
+9
Future Sight +2
—
—

15th
+7/+2
+5
+5
+9
Rewind
—
—

16th
+8/+3
+5
+5
+10
—
—

17th
+8/+3
+5
+5
+10
—
—

18th
+9/+4
+6
+6
+11
—

19th
+9/+4
+6
+6
+11
Future Sight +3

20th
+10/+5
+6
+6
+12
Anomaly

shade1986
2014-12-22, 02:59 AM
WOW! That's gorgeous. Yes rewind was meant to be lvl 15... Don't know how i missed that.

Southern Cross
2014-12-23, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the praise, shade1986! I certainly spent enough time on that table.
Now as for my opinion on the class itself....
To be strictly honest, the time mage's main purpose seems to be to heal the other characters, plus a few other transport spells such as dimension door and teleport. Many of its offensive options (such as the haste and slow spells) are most useful if the caster has one or more allies. I wouldn't take a time mage into a solo adventure, unless the time mage in question had plenty of magic items to compensate for the limted offensive spells.
Also there is a strong lack of customization. All time mages get access to the same list of spells. Remember the witch, (the prepared version of this class) in addition to her spells, also has access to hexes and also gets the addition of a small list of additional spells (called patron spells).

Haruki-kun
2014-12-23, 10:52 PM
Man, this is a really cool concept. I kinda want to try this one out.

LordErebus12
2014-12-23, 11:08 PM
Level
Base
Attack
Fort
Save
Ref
Save
Will
Save
Special
Abilities
Spells per Day

1:
+0

2:
+1

3:
+1

4:
+2

5:
+2

6:
+3

7:
+3

8:
+4

9:
+4

10:
+5

11:
+5

12:
+6

13:
+6

14:
+7

15:
+7

16:
+8

17:
+8

18:
+9

19:
+9

20:
+10

Trying to figure out your table...

What is the save progression for this class?

Haruki-kun
2014-12-25, 03:10 PM
I'm by no means an expert on Homebrewing, but might I ask why there are so few cantrips? I expected at least Read Magic and Detect Magic.

Southern Cross
2015-01-25, 10:00 PM
This is true. While as a spontaneous caster, time mages don't need read magic, the detect magic cantrip is so useful it's hard to imagine a full caster doing without it.
Also, why isn't death ward included in the spell list? Is it to prevent the time mage substituting for the cleric?

Southern Cross
2015-06-05, 12:40 AM
Shouldn't Temporal Stasis and Time Stop also be classed as time spells?